Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/26/2018 1:40:18 AM EDT
As awesome and pretty the Liberty safes are, the idea of a modular safe pique my interest. Reason is moving and mobility.

Saw this and wondering if they are legit safes?
https://www.snapsafe.com/modular-safes/
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 3:06:50 AM EDT
[#1]
Like any RSC, it should be viewed for what it is - simply one layer of security for your firearms.  One should always have multiple layers.

That being said, it kinda looks like a neat concept, especially for a person who might be a renter or just someone who moves frequently. I know I paid like $500 to have my Liberty moved to my new house.

9 gauge walls are thicker than most other RSCs, and I believe that's thicker than my Liberty Fatboy.

The only thing that looks a little weird to me is the small door on the larger models - seems it would impede easy access to the entire safe.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 6:44:50 AM EDT
[#2]
Midway is running a sale on discontinued models.

Linky

Do it, OP!
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:08:19 AM EDT
[#3]
Like any RSC, it should be viewed for what it is  
View Quote
Has it been tested by UL to achieve the RSC rating?
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:38:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a modular safe from Zanotti and I'm happy with it.  Simple to assemble and moving it is relatively easy compared to moving a full sized safe.  I don't think it would have fit in the room it's in if it was a traditionally constructed safe.

It's not water-tight, fire-rated, or anything like that.  It keeps my kids out and would slow down a smash-n-grab junkie.  But any safe (or RSC) that I could reasonably afford would still be susceptible to attack with power tools and prybars.  And if I had a house fire, there's a good chance anything in it would be destroyed by water damage, if not fire damage.

Buy the biggest container you can afford and that will fit.  THE BIGGEST.  Supplement with insurance.

Don't pay attention to gun ratings, i.e., "Holds 87 guns!"  It's bullshit.  I'm convinced they come up with those numbers based on how many Savage Rascals it will hold.  Scopes take up a lot of room.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 10:42:26 AM EDT
[#5]
I have a Zanotti, too.  As noted above, it is hardly a super secure safe, but I was able to move the whole thing by myself with a hand truck and a pickup.  If you have the right sized closet, it can be assembled inside, providing a slight advantage in accessibility and concealment over just sitting there in the corner of the room.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 12:40:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have a modular safe from Zanotti and I'm happy with it.  Simple to assemble and moving it is relatively easy compared to moving a full sized safe.  I don't think it would have fit in the room it's in if it was a traditionally constructed safe.

It's not water-tight, fire-rated, or anything like that.  It keeps my kids out and would slow down a smash-n-grab junkie.  But any safe (or RSC) that I could reasonably afford would still be susceptible to attack with power tools and prybars.  And if I had a house fire, there's a good chance anything in it would be destroyed by water damage, if not fire damage.

Buy the biggest container you can afford and that will fit.  THE BIGGEST.  Supplement with insurance.

Don't pay attention to gun ratings, i.e., "Holds 87 guns!"  It's bullshit.  I'm convinced they come up with those numbers based on how many Savage Rascals it will hold.  Scopes take up a lot of room.
View Quote
This.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 12:53:46 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Like any RSC, it should be viewed for what it is  
Good point.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 1:14:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I have 2 of the largest models, really like them as I could put them upstairs and they are large enough when assembled they cant just walk off. Easy to assemble and very robustly made.
Link Posted: 9/26/2018 9:59:53 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I have 2 of the largest models, really like them as I could put them upstairs and they are large enough when assembled they cant just walk off. Easy to assemble and very robustly made.
View Quote
Does the tiny looking door interfere with grabbing  or adding things?

I'm thinking either the 24 or 30 size. The one from Midway looks great, just no good pics of the door opened.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 8:49:30 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I'm thinking either the 24 or 30 size. The one from Midway looks great, just no good pics of the door opened.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

More pics here of model 75012, the one linked above:

Gunsafes.com
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 12:23:54 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

More pics here of model 75012, the one linked above:

Gunsafes.com
View Quote
I have this XL Titan model. While the door is small it does not impede access IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 3:10:45 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I have this XL Titan model. While the door is small it does not impede access IMHO.
View Quote
I have 2 of the XXL, one single door and one double door. The single door is easier to use IMO and does not impede access.
Link Posted: 9/27/2018 10:35:01 PM EDT
[#13]
Do these have a solid feel to them?

I see Dakota has one as well but only 12 gauge steel
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 4:38:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Midway is running a sale on discontinued models.

Linky

Do it, OP!
View Quote
Damn. Slept on it for a few days. Decided to buy it tonight and all sold out. Lol
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:06:46 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Damn. Slept on it for a few days. Decided to buy it tonight and all sold out. Lol
View Quote
What about Amazon?
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 12:11:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

What about Amazon?
View Quote
IIRC, it was only $1100 from midway.
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 12:14:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I have 2 of the XXL, one single door and one double door. The single door is easier to use IMO and does not impede access.
View Quote
Is yours setup with the split gun rack on the left and cabinets on the right? From the few pictures, I think I can fit a fatboy 50 can on the right without issue and still have quick access to the left.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 4:08:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Is yours setup with the split gun rack on the left and cabinets on the right? From the few pictures, I think I can fit a fatboy 50 can on the right without issue and still have quick access to the left.
View Quote
Yup, I have several 50/30cal cans on the shelves and an AR pistol on the top shelf.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 7:07:34 PM EDT
[#19]
If I were in the market for a modular safe, I wouldn't think twice.

http://zanottiarmor.com
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 5:46:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Garbage.  It's not 9 gauge.  It's 2 sheets of 18 gauge doubled up in some places.  Way too much money for a chintsy Chinamart safe.
Link Posted: 10/29/2018 5:50:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Snap Safe is china made fucking garbage.

A Zanotti has 10 gage sides and 7 gage bottom/top which is more than most lower end RSC like Liberty/Cannon/Browning/Champion which generally use 10-12 gage steel.

Zanotti has long steel rods that insert in hinge-like recesses in the safe corners.  IMHO, they are stronger than most lower end safe corner welds, as you have 3 pieces of steel making a welded joint, not just two.

The locking bolts of a Zanotti are one large singe piece rack in the door with no arms, or other bolted together swinging linkages.
Link Posted: 11/9/2018 3:35:33 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
As awesome and pretty the Liberty safes are, the idea of a modular safe pique my interest. Reason is moving and mobility.

Saw this and wondering if they are legit safes?
https://www.snapsafe.com/modular-safes/
View Quote
For modular safes, there are three choices:  Zanotti, Dakota Interloc XP, and the Snapsafe Titan series.  I did a ton of research and went with the Snapsafe as my space was limited and it fit the best.  My first choice would have been a Zanotti.

Here's a link to detailed reviews of the Snapsafe from me and others:

https://www.ar15.com/forums/armory/Snap-Safe-Titan-Review/46-475297/

The Snapsafe isn't garbage.  I would call it "OK".  Much better than a lot of big box brands I looked at.  It had a few shortcomings outlined in the review in the link above.  I did some modifications to overcome them.  Briefly:

- It didn't come with a slip clutch.  I constructed a replacement spindle from hardware store parts, building in multiple shear points.
- I reinforced the frame by expoxying 7/16" steel bar into the frame channels.  From the factory, the frame was pretty standard in this price range of RSC's.
- I reinforced the bolt work.  Most big box safes have huge, impressive-looking chrome bolts that are actually held into the frame by nothing more than a 1/4" bolt.  The Snapsafe is far superior to this as the bolts are instead pressed into the frame and get their strength from the entire width of their bases.  The frame rail they're pressed into is far beefier than most other brands.  Even so, they could stand a little bolstering.
- I added a hard plate behind the lock.  This is a major fail on the part of Snapsafe, as the lock mounting-frame looks to be built with a hard plate in mind.  It would have cost them about 5 bucks to put one in.

Altogether, the modifications cost about a hundred of my dollars, but a great deal of my time with planning and experimenting.  I don't mind as I love to do that kind of tinkering and designing and it was actually satisfying and fun.  Kind of a hobby.  But yes, there are better things to do with one's time.  If Snapsafe originally made the same modifications, it would have probably added no more than 15 bucks to their bottom line.

The fit of the Snapsafe panels is very tight.  Cannot fit a razor blade in between 99% of the seams, and hardly a pocket knife tip into the remainder.  The bolts holding it together are stout.  The recessed door is 3/16" steel and has very little gap in between the frame, preventing prying.

The two-ply "9 gauge" steel in the middle of the panels is fine.  Its purpose is to defend against hammer and smash attacks.  With the present availability of portable power tools, the gauge of a safe's walls is irrelevant.  A grinder or similar machine will cut through whether it's 14-gauge or 1/4" steel.

The Snapsafe uses fire-resistant blankets instead of drywall like most other brands.  From what I understand, only concrete-filled, upper-end safes provide true fire protection.  I have no idea how well the blankets would work.

Snapsafes no longer come with mechanical locks, which would be a deal breaker for me if I were now shopping.

I saw a used Zanotti safe in person and was able to examine the bolt works.  It is insanely strong, as the bolts are solid round bars that span the entire width of the door -- far better than anything else in its price range.  The Zanotti itself is extremely well built.  Despite the lack of fireproofing, which is somewhat dubious in the first place, it will be my first choice next time.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top