Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/16/2022 11:44:26 PM EDT
Finally getting some confidence on the Dillon 750.  Got everything running correctly.

Only thing Im wanting to do is smooth out the press a bit.  As a charged case comes out of powder drop/case expander there is a slight hitch in actuation of the press handle as the case pops out of funnel expander, making operation of press hitchy.

The same thing happens when a case is coming into and out of the sizing die.

Anyone have some good tips to smooth out the operation of the press so its not so hitchy?
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 12:37:38 AM EDT
[#1]
@mikego_34 it is hard to say from a description in a post if your observations are the normal ones, or something abnormal worth trying to solve.

I say this because the dies and the powder funnel/expander are doing work on the brass that means some friction forces are inevitable. The question being, are your forces abnormal or normal.

Some folks take efforts to polish dies and funnels or lubricate their brass, but without being there in person it would be hard to say if it is worth it in your case.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 1:10:30 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 7:45:04 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Pistol or rifle? I have only used my 750 for pistol, so far. I decap the shells in my Lee APP and then dry tumble them. Before I throw them in the case feeder, I give them a light spray of home made lanolin based spray. Mine runs very smooth.
View Quote

Pistol - 9mm

I should also add that its mostly coming from my Mr bullet feeder powder funnel flare  - the dillon factory powder funnel flare did cause that hitch coming out of the case.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 8:26:15 AM EDT
[#4]
Are you doing anything to lube the cases? Dry tumbling leaves a little dust residue that helps keep the case from sticking. I wet tumble and had trouble with cases sticking so I used a little homemade lanolin lube, but since then I started using Armor all car wash soap with wax and the residue seems to be enough lube.

ETA: I have no experience with a 750
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Are you doing anything to lube the cases? Dry tumbling leaves a little dust residue that helps keep the case from sticking. I wet tumble and had trouble with cases sticking so I used a little homemade lanolin lube, but since then I started using Armor all car wash soap with wax and the residue seems to be enough lube.

ETA: I have no experience with a 750
View Quote

No lube and I wet tumbling
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 8:49:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah I had the same problem with your same setup. It was 2 things for me. The 2 brass colored arms on the powder drop were rubbing on each other on the up stroke which resulted in that popping. I added a couple drops of lube to those and it helped a lot. Secondly is what others are saying. The powder die flares the brass, so unless you have some case lube it's going to stick when it pulls out. I put my brass in a gallon zip lock and spray a bunch of hornady case lube in there, zip it up, then roll the cases around for 20 seconds until it gets everywhere. Pour it out to dry for an hour or so then throw in the case feeder.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Wet tumbling makes the brass sticking on the powder funnel worse, it makes the brass too clean like new brass.

This statement is in all of the Dillon manuals (Be aware that new brass will often “stick” on the powder funnel or cause resistance on the upstroke. Cleaning the brass in a tumbler should help.)

The residue left on the inside of the case after dry tumbling let’s it run smother, I also use a light spray of Hornady One Shot before I load.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:10:09 AM EDT
[#8]
I use one shot on mine, too.

The lanolin stuff, they recommend for necked cases.  It works for pistol cases, but it can be overkill and leave them extra sloppy.  The one shot gets the job done without leaving the rounds juicy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:14:34 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Yeah I had the same problem with your same setup. It was 2 things for me. The 2 brass colored arms on the powder drop were rubbing on each other on the up stroke which resulted in that popping. I added a couple drops of lube to those and it helped a lot. Secondly is what others are saying. The powder die flares the brass, so unless you have some case lube it's going to stick when it pulls out. I put my brass in a gallon zip lock and spray a bunch of hornady case lube in there, zip it up, then roll the cases around for 20 seconds until it gets everywhere. Pour it out to dry for an hour or so then throw in the case feeder.
View Quote

I’m a fairly new 750 driver.  9mm is all so far.  I had a similar issue with mine, related to that fail safe linkage, and the rod.

Those two brass colored plates on mine were pretty rough, so I filed down the edges.  The actuator rod was really the bigger issue,
The offset that goes thru those fail safe plates was really binding.

Heated it with a torch, added more offset with pliers.  Used a round file to smooth up the offset bends and it runs smooth now.

Lubing the cases is always a good thing.
Factory bend
Attachment Attached File

Modded

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:31:47 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

I’m a fairly new 750 driver.  9mm is all so far.  I had a similar issue with mine, related to that fail safe linkage, and the rod.

Those two brass colored plates on mine were pretty rough, so I filed down the edges.  The actuator rod was really the bigger issue,
The offset that goes thru those fail safe plates was really binding.

Heated it with a torch, added more offset with pliers.  Used a round file to smooth up the offset bends and it runs smooth now.

Lubing the cases is always a good thing.
Factory bend
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/44D5121B-22FE-4595-9518-24158DEF9CD0_jpe-2529146.JPG

Modded

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/857/5991D996-1B50-49CD-B612-E860D68B0CB7_jpe-2529149.JPG
View Quote

I had to do the same mod to the fail safe rod on my 550
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:41:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Points taken - probably need to use some sort of lube.  Or maybe dry tumble after I wet tumble

I also have a LEE APP and considered doing resizing/decapping before it even gets to my 750 like you’re doing mustbe123
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:46:43 AM EDT
[#12]
I throw a couple handfuls of cases into a ziplock, give them a quick spray of Hornady One Shot, and shake them up. It smooths out my Hornady LNL.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:49:25 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Points taken - probably need to use some sort of lube.  Or maybe dry tumble after I wet tumble

I also have a LEE APP and considered doing resizing/decapping before it even gets to my 750 like you’re doing mustbe123
View Quote

My whole point of going with a 750 was to make 9mm as easy as possible.  Nothing wrong with wet tumbling, but it can make for a sticky case.  That one shot stuff works when used properly.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 9:49:54 AM EDT
[#14]
I always hit my pistol brass with a little bit of hornady one shot before running it through the progressive press. It makes everything run much smoother and take less force. I tumble the finished rounds in corn cob for 30 minutes to remove the case lube.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:47:21 AM EDT
[#15]
Quit wet cleaning.  Corncob blasting media from Graingers and some NuFinish from Wally World.  The outside is clean, the inside is not and has firing residue that acts like a lube when the powder die expands the case mouth.   Otherwise....a light misting of the brass with HOS...Hornady One Stuck.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 10:57:19 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quit wet cleaning.  Corncob blasting media from Graingers and some NuFinish from Wally World.  The outside is clean, the inside is not and has firing residue that acts like a lube when the powder die expands the case mouth.   Otherwise....a light misting of the brass with HOS...Hornady One Stuck.
View Quote

I went back to wet tumbling because some cases were getting corncob media stuck in them.

Felt like it was more if a pita than wet tumbling because of that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:08:00 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I went back to wet tumbling because some cases were getting corncob media stuck in them.

View Quote

Some people say to wet tumble with armor all wash and wax soap.
I got some but Im not sure if its helping yet.
I do a quick tumble wash before I decap.
Then another after decap and resize.  Maybe I should do a lanolin spray right before prime, expand, charge step.
I get that expander stick on my single stage.  Sometimes its tight.
I have polished the expander plug to a mirror finish.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#18]
Polish the expander die
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 1:52:15 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:01:53 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:04:07 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote

Were you depriming before you tumbled?  If so, why?  

I dry tumble with corn cob and nufinish car wax.  

My 650 runs pretty smooth just using brass like I described.

I then tried a VERY light coating of Dillon lube after tumbling.   It worked even better for me.
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 2:11:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 3:28:36 PM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 9/17/2022 6:42:12 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

Were you depriming before you tumbled?  If so, why?  

I dry tumble with corn cob and nufinish car wax.  

My 650 runs pretty smooth just using brass like I described.

I then tried a VERY light coating of Dillon lube after tumbling.   It worked even better for me.
View Quote

Nope - I dont decap before I wet tumble
Link Posted: 9/24/2022 10:28:49 PM EDT
[#25]
Wet tumbling can definitely give you some sticking from the powder funnel. In my experience, it gets even worse if you use a Mr. Bulletfeeder drop.

Like you, OP, I dislike the dry media that inevitably winds up in the brass and wet tumble because of it. Regardless of the added lubricity it provides.

The solution I've found... polish your powder funnel (as some others have said). Like really polish it. Mirror shiny.  It'll be a dramatic improvement.  Alternatively, you can squirt some lanolin case lube on your finger and rub it along the powder funnel where it hangs down. Sometimes if I get brass too clean I'll do the finger-lube trick to even a polished funnel.

Really just a game where you've gotta pick the lesser of the evils.
Link Posted: 10/9/2022 6:08:20 PM EDT
[#26]
My Dillon XL650 does the same thing.

Get some Mothers Aluminum Polish or any similar product and polish the funnel.

I also dump the cases into a ziploc bag and spray a little Hornady One Shot and shake up the bag.

Side note: I also polished the inside of my powder hopper. Just helps powder flow easier.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 12:32:55 AM EDT
[#27]
I lube 9mm with One Shot and make sure a few cases get some in the neck.

Leave the two screws on the powder measure loose so it can move a little.  It doesn’t affect the charge, but allows the fail safe rod and brass colored arms to move freely and not bind.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 6:25:57 AM EDT
[#28]
When you wet tumble 9mm, you can skip the pins, leaving some soot inside the case. The soot will help with sticking in the powder funnel. Lube for sizing and then tumble again before priming, etc, or don’t bother cleaning the lube off if you use something that dries.

Others gave plenty of good advice, as well. My way is just one approach to this rather common problem.
Link Posted: 10/10/2022 8:18:56 AM EDT
[#29]
I do standard pin tumbling, rinse 3X then run in the dry tumbler. I never had an issue on the press but the brass felt sticky, as in not sliding through my fingers.

I'm a tactile kind of guy lol. I can feel defects better than I can see them these days.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top