Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/5/2018 3:40:18 PM EDT
I just recently discovered smart doorbells and wanted to see if anybody here had experience with them. I like the idea of the wife being able to see  and talk to whoever is at the door without answering or opening the door. Allot of these systems also have motion detectors that let you know when someone is on your doorstep and allow you to talk thru the doorbell without even being home.

Overall I really like the options these systems offer and am looking to pick one up. Any recommendations? Other kinds of systems I should look into? I already have an alarm system, so this is supplemental. Thanks.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 4:00:01 PM EDT
[#1]
I have had both the August and Ring door bells. Both did the job. They also require a subscription to save the video into the cloud.

I scraped the August and went with Ring. The major reason was that for a single subscription fee I can have as many Ring devices on the account. I ended up with two doorbells and 7 cameras.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 4:01:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Skybell. Works great, gets good reviews (now that they worked out their app issues), and doesn't have a monthly fee.

Reviews:

https://www.pcmag.com/review/359328/skybell-hd

https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/best-smart-doorbell-camera/
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 8:31:32 PM EDT
[#3]
I have my own version of a smart doorbell. It's disconnected so it doesn't ring. This means I don't have to wonder who's at the door, and ignore them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 3:22:05 PM EDT
[#4]
The idea of having to pay a monthly subscription honestly just kind of annoys me. Like I am being nickled and dimed. Although if it’s the best I may go for one of those.

I will look into the sky bell, thanks for the recommendation.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 3:50:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The idea of having to pay a monthly subscription honestly just kind of annoys me. Like I am being nickled and dimed. Although if it’s the best I may go for one of those.

View Quote
There is an annual option also.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 6:03:32 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
The subscription is only if you want to be able to record and playback video.

If you just want a smart doorbell to see who's at the door and communicate with them there is no subscription requirement for that.

My cousin has the Ring and they love it. I messed with it some and was pretty impressed.

I'm planning on going full reolink surveillance system and am still considering getting a ring just so we can see faces at the door and communicate with them.
Link Posted: 6/6/2018 6:09:14 PM EDT
[#7]
I’ve had the ring for 5 months now and I’d say I’m happy with it. It took a week or so to get the sensitivity/zone setting right so it didn’t trigger false alarms.  But after that it’s worked great.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 3:25:04 AM EDT
[#8]
Ring Pro, love it. The subscription was $30/yr if I remember.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#9]
To those of you with the ring, I read a review that stated you have to do the yearly subscription or after a few seconds if you hadn’t opened the app you would be unable to view the live video. Can anybody verify or refute that claim?

Thanks for all of the replies!
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 4:03:44 PM EDT
[#10]
If I recall correctly.....

You can live view but can not go back and check an alert.

I think we got 30 days free and then the review feature is shut off. I didn't know much about it and wasn't going to pay for the subscription. Once I found out I couldn't go back and see video from alerts I figured $30/yr was reasonable for that information.
Link Posted: 6/7/2018 7:42:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Got a skybell coming next week. Big reason for me is the integration with my alarm.com account. Also doesn't hurt that there is no subscription requirement to view videos.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 10:14:36 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The subscription is only if you want to be able to record and playback video.

If you just want a smart doorbell to see who's at the door and communicate with them there is no subscription requirement for that.

My cousin has the Ring and they love it. I messed with it some and was pretty impressed.

I'm planning on going full reolink surveillance system and am still considering getting a ring just so we can see faces at the door and communicate with them.
View Quote
I have the full 8 camera Reolink and it's good, but I want the Ring for a "time stamp".  The reolink is to sensitive to use motion detection on as it goes off constantly with every little movement.  With the Ring I can get a notification when someone gets right up on the front porch and presses the doorbell.
Link Posted: 6/12/2018 11:04:53 PM EDT
[#13]
The ring we have also has a motion sensor. I get alerts without someone pushing the button. The motion alert zone is customisable as well.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 1:50:21 AM EDT
[#14]
+1 for Ring. Love ours.
Link Posted: 7/7/2018 3:02:18 AM EDT
[#15]
My place isn't hardwired for a doorbell anymore (remodel before I bought).

How long does the battery powered ring/ring2/ring pro actually last?
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 6:21:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
My place isn't hardwired for a doorbell anymore (remodel before I bought).

How long does the battery powered ring/ring2/ring pro actually last?
View Quote
Ours is hardwired so I can't answer that. They do make a solar panel to attach and keep the battery charged.......
Link Posted: 7/8/2018 10:01:38 PM EDT
[#17]
I have a zmodo and it works great and free for 36hr.  You can pay more for longer storage times.
Link Posted: 7/9/2018 4:46:08 PM EDT
[#18]
Does anyone actually make a POE powered or at least ONVIF compatible doorbell?
Link Posted: 7/10/2018 10:48:27 PM EDT
[#19]
The Ring Elite supports POE. I believe Doorbird supports OVDIF, but I haven't heard great things.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top