Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2021 3:17:36 AM EDT
I have seen a youtube video where a guy compared pressure and velocity using small pistol and small rifle primers in pistol ammo. His results were that there was no significant difference.

I did a test in the past with hammer fired guns (Berretta M-9 and MP-5) with no problems.

Today I tested 9mm using CCI Magnum pistol primers as well as Winchester small rifle primers in my Sig M-17, a striker-fired gun.

The Sig functioned fine today with good firing pin impressions.

I know this has been covered before but I am seeking additional input, including which guns work and don't work using substitute primers.

Disclaimer- not trying to duplicate my 460 S&W loads in a 9mm.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 4:17:17 AM EDT
[#1]
I’ve known a couple people that had guns that wouldn’t reliably ignite SR primers but it’s been so long I can’t remember what they were. I’ve used them in my 226 and most of the guys I shot uspsa with used them in their 2011’s for 9 major, super, etc.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 4:43:11 AM EDT
[#2]
We've run thousands of small rifle primers, standard and magnum, in our Glocks, no issues at all.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 5:56:32 AM EDT
[#3]
The video OP describes was uploaded by Super Vel ammunition.

Are Small Pistol Magnum & Small Rifle Primers Safe in 9mm?

SR primers in 9mm might cause light strikes if you are using reduced power striker or hammer springs otherwise they're fine.
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 10:48:50 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 11:55:37 AM EDT
[#5]
I have tested so many I can not remember them all. I have used SP in AR15s fine and SR in a variety of pistols with no problems (Many brand guns)

There is a bigger difference between various brands of SP than there is between SP and SR of the same brand
I test for both 100% ignition and chronograph velocities

However, there are a few SR that will not work in pistols because the cup is intentionally too hard
CCI #41 military, Federal Match AR15 and S&B SR should be avoided that I have tested
S&B take 2-3 strikes and will eventually go off but I am sure you don't find that a plus either

There may be some other foreign brand(s) that show up with the shortage we have not seen or tried and of these I would not assume SR would work
Link Posted: 9/25/2021 1:00:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Remington 6.5 primers are designed for small rifle cases like the .218 Bee and similar. 40,000 psi limit. IMO these would be ideal for substituting in handgun loads. Not many people buy these primers.
Link Posted: 9/26/2021 7:24:21 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Remington 6.5 primers are designed for small rifle cases like the .218 Bee and similar. 40,000 psi limit. IMO these would be ideal for substituting in handgun loads. Not many people buy these primers.
View Quote

I had light strikes with those in 38 spl in my S&W and in 9mm in my Glock.

My 9mm AK-V and Sig P320 lit them off though.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 7:08:04 AM EDT
[#8]
My m&p wouldn't set off a srp even after 3 trys,  same with my other striker fired G2. No problems with a beretta though.
These were winchester,  and wolf primers.
Link Posted: 9/27/2021 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#9]
IS anyone having breech face wear using small rifle primers in pistol ammo? Years ago this was the main reason for not using rifle primers with pistol ammo.
Link Posted: 9/29/2021 10:25:31 AM EDT
[#10]
Some primers are harder than others so there may be light strikes, but WSP mag and WSR have run flawlessly in my 9's.
Link Posted: 9/30/2021 11:17:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I've been using Winchester SR primers for my VP9 9mm loads for about 6 months now.  I've probably shot 450-500 rnds so far with zero issues.  Very happy with this substitute.
Link Posted: 10/17/2021 10:21:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Been using small rifle primers in pistol cartridges for over 20 years, never an issue.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top