Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2020 10:31:58 PM EDT
So I have a 336 and would like to put a sling on it. But it needs mounts and rings, suggestions?  And I might go and make my own leather sling from tandy leather..
Link Posted: 4/20/2020 12:23:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Uncle Mikes sell a sling set that clamps onto the mag tube in front and a screw in part that needs to be countersunk into the toe of the stock. Easy job to do for someone with average tool skills. Be sure you install the buttstock screw about 4 inches in from the rear end of the stock. And drill a slightly undersized pilot hole to screw the stud into. no splittee the stock.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 4:58:59 PM EDT
[#2]
I like EGW rails.
Link Posted: 4/21/2020 9:03:12 PM EDT
[#3]
Marlin has rear bands or forend caps with sling swivel studs permanently attached.  I used one of the bands on mine and had a stud installed in the stock.  I bought the band from Midway.  The rear stud came with one of the mag tube clamp sets mentioned above.  I just didn't like the clamp.  The band is much sturdier
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 10:48:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I hate, so very very much, when I’m browsing a gun show or gun store and come across lever actions where bubba drilled a sling swivel into the stock.  For me, when I see this, it’s like scratching ones nail across a chalk board   I’ve hunted with mine and I just carry it through the woods and up a tree stand, in my hand.   That’s a huge hit in value, if you’re concerned about that sort of thing.
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 8:58:06 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I hate, so very very much, when I’m browsing a gun show or gun store and come across lever actions where bubba drilled a sling swivel into the stock.  For me, when I see this, it’s like scratching ones nail across a chalk board   I’ve hunted with mine and I just carry it through the woods and up a tree stand, in my hand.   That’s a huge hit in value, if you’re concerned about that sort of thing.
View Quote

Pretty much every Marlin from the mid 80's up has sling studs from the factory,I believe the only ones that don't are the cowboy and Limited models.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 10:07:52 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
View Quote

Sorry for the triggered emotions.

But I put a sling stud where I want.  Factory settings on most rifles have crappy sling placement due to tradition.  
If millions of troops can see how useful a side mount & 2point sling is, why can't hunters?
With my rifle slung across my chest or back, I have both my hands free to do as I please.  I can leave it loose for stalking and quick shooting. Or I can cinch it up to climb a rocky slope or crawl under a rhody thicket.   I can even use the bathroom.
Link Posted: 4/26/2020 11:09:51 AM EDT
[#7]
Just make sure you don't put the sling mount in the Marlin Bullseye,it's a trademark not an attachment point.
This is where it's supposed to go.

Attachment Attached File

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top