Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 121
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 12:55:16 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:

I'm too lazy to do it again and take pictures.
View Quote

Gotcha. I have a Nikon D5300 so maybe I'll be able to capture some decent photos.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 2:46:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Copy paste from my Sionyx rant in GD.  Just a warning to current Sionyx owners....

---

Got in on that 'introductory" sale on the Aurora Classic a couple of weeks ago. Got that $800 camera for $600 before the price hike. Have really been impressed with the thing. It is not the thermal I dream of owning, but it has been a close second. I don't spend a lot of money on 'toys', but I was totally happy with this purchase after seeing what it was capable of.

Fast forward to last Saturday night...was looking at some deer at my SIL's place. I zoomed in to get a closer look. It was kind of grainy, so I touched zoom out. Would not zoom all the way out. Turned the dome light on the car. Zoom out button is stuck down. Used my fingernail to check if it would pop back out. Nope. Thought, "This really sucks".

Call Sionyx CS today. Tech tells me that a RMA would have to be handled through Amazon (I ordered it through Sionyx's Amazon store). I got through the steps and notice that the only option is a refund, no repair of replacement option. Back on the phone with Sionyx directly. Tech tells me the the only option is to email Sionyx for a review. I send explanation, proof of purchase and pic of the stuck button. A guy named Bill replies and tells me the pic looks like the camera was dropped and they will not do an RMA for replacement or repair. Find out that not only will they make this right, but basically called me a liar. I am extremely careful with electronics. My old Android is three years old and I have a Garmin Virb (real action cam) that is still pristine after five years of use. I just now replaced it's old battery.

This thing is supposed to have at least a year warranty. I've had it almost three weeks.

For you guys that own these things, be aware that just pushing the zoom button can break it. If you intend to keep it, be very careful. They advertise these things as 'action cams'. Pushing a button is action? This really sucks. I was very impressed with this technology, but not with the company that sells it. Great way to build a new customer base.

/rant off

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:01:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
Copy paste from my Sionyx rant in GD.  Just a warning to current Sionyx owners....

View Quote

That's shitty for sure - I'd be pissed too. If you have Instagram, take a pic of it, do the same post, and tag @colornightvision  He's the new marketing guy and seems really into the gun crowd, as opposed to the last guy. Hashtag sionyx, sionyxaurora, etc... Stuff breaks, but they should be better than that, when it does.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 3:23:43 PM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

That's shitty for sure - I'd be pissed too. If you have Instagram, take a pic of it, do the same post, and tag @colornightvision  He's the new marketing guy and seems really into the gun crowd, as opposed to the last guy. Hashtag sionyx, sionyxaurora, etc... Stuff breaks, but they should be better than that, when it does.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

I'm not on Instagram.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 4:59:14 PM EDT
[#5]

I'm not on Instagram.
View Quote

Post in that FB group the SiOnyx is hovering all over. I guarantee you’ll be taken care of.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/ASUDG/?ref=share
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#6]

I'm not on Instagram.
View Quote

Next time I see one of their ads on FB or IG I'll copy & paste your story in there.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:09:09 PM EDT
[#7]
How about posting some pic of it so that we can see what it looks like @Flysc
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:14:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#8]
Another FB group thats operated by sionyx. Main dude is one of their new guys as well. probably the same guy.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/night.vision.101/

Link Posted: 4/27/2020 6:24:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By Banditman:
How about posting some pic of it so that we can see what it looks like @Flysc
View Quote

Wish I could, but I let my team membership lapse and I lost my old tiny pic login.
Link Posted: 4/27/2020 8:50:38 PM EDT
[#10]
use imgur.com and just post the link
no account needed

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 1:24:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#11]
Just started playing around with my $1800 “poors” PVS-14 and my Pixel 3XL smartphone. I have no experience with taking pics of NV and I’m on a phone vs. my DSLR so they aren’t as crisp and sharp as the PVS-14 appears to the naked eye.

Attachment Attached File

Enhance....enhance...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Note:

The spot at 12:30 is a speck of dust from a tear-down I did earlier today. It wasn’t there a few hours ago. I need to spray a can of air into the optic.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:24:18 AM EDT
[#12]

I was able to print out a USAF chart and use it just fine. I used the Aurora and a Gen3 unaided and then I used the built in IR LED on the Gen3 to compare both in an IR environment. It worked just fine. And the Gen3 beat the pants off the Aurora when unaided. With illuminator the Aurora was pretty good - only about 1 resolving group worse than the gen3
View All Quotes

On the chart, for others: It won't work under IR - the black ink disappears BTTT (Been There Tried That).

On the IR "Glow" - I've only used Black Cotton - 2 Layers over a 7 Watt Nitecore CI7 has the glow *barely* perceptible to the naked eye at arms length - so at a few feet, probably gone. 3 Layers absolutely removes all glow, but you lose a smidge more "throw". You lose a lot with 2 layers too, but it is what it is. Never tried a Cut/Pass filter though, to limit the lower wavelengths. I posted pics somewhere of the 3 states - Naked, 2 Layers, and 3 Layers - forget where though. My thought is: Even with no cover, the 7 Watt CI7 glow disappears at ~75-100 yards, and it illuminates out to at least 250-300 based on OneWildAdventure's video. So using a flip cover with the Cotton, you can close it for close in stuff.

I think the reason the Aurora is so awesome under IR, is because it "see's" up to 1100nm - so when using a 940nm LED, you also benefit from the oscillation freq above that. I hear (no experience) that analog guys can't see as far using 940nm sources, and prefer the 8XXnm sources? I've posted pics of a 940nm Fandy at 300+ yards and it is awesome - the Aurora is an IR sensing beast. The downside is all the MAWL beams on Long Range Mode I've looked at, wash out the target - luckily, I have an adjustable PERST-3, which I can "dial down" for perfect, long range, illumination of targets.

I was able to print out a USAF chart and use it just fine. I used the Aurora and a Gen3 unaided and then I used the built in IR LED on the Gen3 to compare both in an IR environment. It worked just fine. And the Gen3 beat the pants off the Aurora when unaided. With illuminator the Aurora was pretty good - only about 1 resolving group worse than the gen3

Wow, so for 'detail work' the Pro would likely meet or exceed Gen 3; just going by the comparison video, detail resolution (not video capture resolution) looked markedly better.  Perfect for reading in bed without waking the wife, I suppose
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:17:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By barnbwt:

Wow, so for 'detail work' the Pro would likely meet or exceed Gen 3; just going by the comparison video, detail resolution (not video capture resolution) looked markedly better.  Perfect for reading in bed without waking the wife, I suppose
View Quote
The pro is still the same resolution isnt it? is the sensors native resolution higher than the OG sensors?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 12:10:37 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pheenixm] [#14]
Originally Posted By barnbwt:

View Quote

Somehow I get the sense you've never looked through a Gen 3 WP with IR illumination. Unless you're talking about focal length, the detail resolution on it is still going to be far and above superior to anything digital has to offer. For example, here's my toilet under Gen 3 + illum

You can't reasonably compare Gen 3 without illumination to Sionyx with. That's just a non-sequitur

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:28:46 PM EDT
[#15]
Some of you requested a pic of my damaged Sionyx Aurora higher on this page. Here is a copy/paste of my GD thread.

---------

Here is the pic of the camera I "damaged":  

Attachment Attached File

Not a scratch on this camera. Just a stuck button. If you look closely, you can see white interior material inside. That tells me this button group's water seal is likely torn, too. I've no idea what the internal structure is like under this keypad, but it looks like a simple replacement of the button group's top plate if they remove the torx screws.

Anyway, some good news. I got a reply from the Bill guy at Sionyx today. Reply started with "Let's take a step back....that was just one picture...blah, blah..." and ended with 'Send it in and we'll take a look at it." He did give me an RMA number.  

That is good news, but I am still pissed at being called a liar.

Does this camera look like I roughhoused it? Not a scratch or ding anywhere. Thing is brand spanking new. If they make it good, then I'm good.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 2:50:38 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#16]
Some of you requested a pic of my damaged Sionyx Aurora higher on this page. Here is a copy/paste of my GD thread.

---------

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/413035/Sionyx_broken_button_Small_jpg-1390643.JPG

Not a scratch on this camera. Just a stuck button. If you look closely, you can see white interior material inside. That tells me this button group's water seal is likely torn, too. I've no idea what the internal structure is like under this keypad, but it looks like a simple replacement of the button group's top plate if they remove the torx screws.

Anyway, some good news. I got a reply from the Bill guy at Sionyx today. Reply started with "Let's take a step back....that was just one picture...blah, blah..." and ended with 'Send it in and we'll take a look at it." He did give me an RMA number.  

Does this camera look like I roughhoused it? Not a scratch or ding anywhere. Thing is brand spanking new. If they make it good, then I'm good.
View Quote

That looks like it would be stupid easy to fix.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 3:28:29 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Pheenixm:

Somehow I get the sense you've never looked through a Gen 3 WP with IR illumination. Unless you're talking about focal length, the detail resolution on it is still going to be far and above superior to anything digital has to offer. For example, here's my toilet under Gen 3 + illum https://i.imgur.com/dsGu3AQ.jpg

You can't reasonably compare Gen 3 without illumination to Sionyx with. That's just a non-sequitur

View Quote
can you post the same photo from the sionyx?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:12:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Pheenixm] [#18]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
can you post the same photo from the sionyx?
View Quote

Nope. Can you post a picture from an illuminated PVS-14 alongside your Sionyx? I don't personally own one myself
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 5:56:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#19]
Originally Posted By Pheenixm:

Nope. Can you post a picture from an illuminated PVS-14 alongside your Sionyx? I don't personally own one myself
View Quote
I dont have a PVS. I am here cause poors. @PFran42 has both. HINT HINT

Ill try to post a similar photo tonight though with my green model aurora.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:04:37 PM EDT
[#20]
IR provided by FandyFire 940nm in blacked out bathroom. I stuffed a towel against the door on the floor.

PVS-14, manual gain, auto gated, thin filmed, L3 OMNI VII or VIII (not positive yet):

Attachment Attached File

SiOnyx “OG”, camera mode, night scene, B&W, 3x zoom,  auto shutter, firmware 1.2:

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:13:18 PM EDT
[#21]
The SiOnyx holds its own using supplemental IR when pitted against a high spec Gen 3 PVS-14 also using supplemental IR.

Value proposition (for me): $1800 vs $400

Value proposition (real world): $2500 vs $800

If you’re not opposed to using a $20 IR light, YOU WILL EXPERIENCE “OMFG NIGHT VISION” with the Aurora.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:17:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By PFran42:
IR provided by FandyFire 940nm in blacked out bathroom. I stuffed a towel against the door on the floor.

PVS-14, manual gain, auto gated, thin filmed, L3 OMNI VII or VIII (not positive yet):

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/BF07610C-8D3D-4E1F-A8B1-2D40D698A18E_jpe-1391045.JPG

SiOnyx “OG”, camera mode, night scene, B&W, 3x zoom,  auto shutter, firmware 1.2:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/5FA8A01A-ACF3-4C27-A9B4-D8EFC2C34B7B_jpe-1391048.JPG

View Quote

Nice, thanks for that. I can read the watch with both, I can read the compass with both, and can ID the brand of the knife with both. Honestly that’s more than good enough for me
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:18:35 PM EDT
[#23]
B-roll SiOnyx:

“Color”

Attachment Attached File

“I wanna be a PVS-14” mode

Attachment Attached File

“Dim witted” (-1.7)

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:19:45 PM EDT
[#24]
Originally Posted By steviesterno16:

Nice, thanks for that. I can read the watch with both, I can read the compass with both, and can ID the brand of the knife with both. Honestly that’s more than good enough for me
View Quote

Cool!

You should have seen me rummaging around for “practical” props.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 6:26:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Who has a link to that resolution test?
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 7:31:04 PM EDT
[#26]
great. that was fast too.

hard to tell from slightly different distances/zoom levels but I would say the 14 is slightly ahead. but I wouldn't say its 5x better thats for sure. Maybe 10-20%? obviously without IR its no contest plus no lag/latency etc etc. but for the casual home user who wants to larp around and maybe do some night shooting its pretty incredible for the price. lighter too and it records, has a compass and gps.

can you laser print something like this?

http://www.graphics.cornell.edu/~westin/misc/ISO_12233-reschart.pdf
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:23:46 PM EDT
[#27]

View All Quotes

---------

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/413035/Sionyx_broken_button_Small_jpg-1390643.JPG

If it were out of warranty, I'd remove the screws and have a look.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 8:31:59 PM EDT
[#28]

---------

View Quote

Not to be disrespectful, but why is the center pushed in like that when the button is on the outside edge.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:10:46 PM EDT
[#29]

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/BF07610C-8D3D-4E1F-A8B1-2D40D698A18E_jpe-1391045.JPG

SiOnyx "OG", camera mode, night scene, B&W, 3x zoom,  auto shutter, firmware 1.2:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/309598/5FA8A01A-ACF3-4C27-A9B4-D8EFC2C34B7B_jpe-1391048.JPG

View Quote
This is awesome. I don't own a PVS14 but I may try to do a comparison of my own someday
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 10:45:03 PM EDT
[#30]
The SiOnyx holds its own using supplemental IR when pitted against a high spec Gen 3 PVS-14 also using supplemental IR.

Value proposition (for me): $1800 vs $400

Value proposition (real world): $2500 vs $800

If you’re not opposed to using a $20 IR light, YOU WILL EXPERIENCE “OMFG NIGHT VISION” with the Aurora.

View Quote

Yes with ir they maybe close when dealing with short range, go out side somewhere dark and try it with and with out IR at about 50 yards and no zoom on the sionyx, and please post pics.

Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:27:17 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By IAm4:

Yes with ir they maybe close when dealing with short range, go out side somewhere dark and try it with and with out IR at about 50 yards and no zoom on the sionyx, and please post pics.

View Quote
Ill post a shot or two later.
Link Posted: 4/28/2020 11:39:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#32]

View Quote

Can’t do super dark testing until lock down is lifted.

That said, I have played with both of these in my back yard. SiOnyx holds it own vs PVS-14 when IR is involved. Testing in wooded back yard was between 10-40 yards.

For reference he is a bird’s eye view of my back yard:

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:27:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: slappomatt] [#33]
here is a quick helmet mounted shot from my front yard. the motorhome is about 15 yards, the first fence at the top of the hill is 45 yards and the 2nd fence is 55 yards. I didnt dial the focus in exactly so it could probably be slightly better. but it shows the IR difference from a $30 light. Its not crazy dark but its semi rural 1/4 moon and to the naked eye its just a black hill. this is with the 3 steps of digital zoom to get roughly 1:1 so its not full resolution.

No IR

With IR
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:47:07 AM EDT
[#34]
Does anyone here know if the image displayed on the Aurora smartphone app via the WiFi link is the full resolution native image (like displayed in the EVF) or if it’s the compressed 720p image (sent to the SD)?

If so, it seems like it’d be pretty easy to screenshot a phone to capture full res Aurora images.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:56:36 AM EDT
[#35]
Does anyone here know if the image displayed on the Aurora smartphone app via the WiFi link is the full resolution native image (like displayed in the EVF) or if it’s the compressed 720p image (sent to the SD)?

If so, it seems like it’d be pretty easy to screenshot a phone to capture full res Aurora images.
View Quote

The Aurora is a camera. It is saving native images. You use the app to transfer them to your phone. 720p are small by today’s standards.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 4:34:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#36]

The Aurora is a camera. It is saving native images. You use the app to transfer them to your phone. 720p are small by today’s standards.
View Quote

The files saved to the card are not native. They are compressed. Per the manual, saved video and image files are 1280x720 but the Aurora’s XQE-1310 sensor is actually a native 1280x1024p 1” optical format sensor.

This is why you always hear everyone say, “the image you see in the viewfinder looks way better than the photos I uploaded” ... because the actual sensor resolution literally has 42% more pixels than a saved video/picture file. I have NO idea why SiOnyx doesn’t save files at max sensor resolution.

I’m curious if the image piped over the WiFi connection to the Aurora smartphone app is the 720p file or the sensor’s full 1280x1024p... (?)

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 6:57:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Advance] [#37]

The files saved to the card are not native. They are compressed. Per the manual, saved video and image files are 1280x720 but the Aurora’s XQE-1310 sensor is actually a native 1280x1024p 1” optical format sensor.

This is why you always hear everyone say, “the image you see in the viewfinder looks way better than the photos I uploaded” ... because the actual sensor resolution literally has 42% more pixels than a saved video/picture file. I have NO idea why SiOnyx doesn’t save files at max sensor resolution.

I’m curious if the image piped over the WiFi connection to the Aurora smartphone app is the 720p file or the sensor’s full 1280x1024p... (?)

View Quote

I stand corrected. Thanks for the informative answer.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 7:37:20 AM EDT
[#38]
I have an Aurora but haven’t touched it too much since grabbing it. I did pick up TNVCs new IR laser and will try and do a helmet setup.

https://www.ar15.com/forums/Industry/TNVC-and-Steiner-Introduce-a-New-Very-Affordable-Feature-Rich-C1-IR-Laser-/209-295603/
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:09:28 AM EDT
[Last Edit: StaccatoC2] [#39]
Originally Posted By slappomatt:
here is a quick helmet mounted shot from my front yard. the motorhome is about 15 yards, the first fence at the top of the hill is 45 yards and the 2nd fence is 55 yards. I didnt dial the focus in exactly so it could probably be slightly better. but it shows the IR difference from a $30 light. Its not crazy dark but its semi rural 1/4 moon and to the naked eye its just a black hill. this is with the 3 steps of digital zoom to get roughly 1:1 so its not full resolution.

No IR
https://i.imgur.com/fC7Evs6.jpg

With IR
https://i.imgur.com/YBA0rfw.jpg
View Quote

It does not look too bad on the second shot with the ir out to the motor home.  A gen 3 would look like the second shot of the motor home all the way to the fence without any extra ir.

Edit what I wrote just sounds confusing. SO a gen 3 would give the resolution you are getting of the motor home with the ir over the whole pic with no ir. You would clearly be able to see the fences at full res, infact with a 1/4 moon an auto gated would be turning it self down as there is way more light than needed.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 10:49:16 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#40]
I don't have analog to compare to, but saying an Aurora under IR doesn't compare, is a little...odd. The target scoring pic I just posted earlier is a perfect example - and it is a screen grab from a video, and was compressed (not through the EVF).

The Aurora can use *all* the wavelengths being emitted from an oscillating 940nm LED: 950, 960, 980, 1000nm (don't know exactly how high Fandy and Nitecore LEDs oscillate). Analog loses steam, eventually becoming useless at utilization, above around 980nm - from the info that's in numerous posts around here. You always see comments about "losing range" with 940 compared to 850 LEDs. Probably because they can't pick up the higher oscillations?

Put it this way: Can you use a B.E. Meyers MAWL-CLAD (1064nm) with your 14? You can with an Aurora. How about a Hellstar 6 SWIR? (note: the HS6 has two modes: 1064nm and 1550nm - the second, the Aurora can't see either).

This is another "on paper" argument - a movie shot on film, will *always* have the best "resolution", because analog *has* no resolution. But a 1080p movie is hardly "not detailed enough" to get the job done.

Here is a 3AM shot (compressed off SD Card), pitch black, with a Nitecore CI7 at 7 Watts - do you think you couldn't ID a home invader, and hit him? For $400 (now $599 I guess). "Good Enough" *is* a viable thing, for a lot of people. Don't shoot my Sable GSD.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:17:46 AM EDT
[#41]
I don't have analog to compare to, but saying an Aurora under IR doesn't compare, is a little...odd. The target scoring pic I just posted earlier is a perfect example - and it is a screen grab from a video, and was compressed (not through the EVF).

The Aurora can use *all* the wavelengths being emitted from an oscillating 940nm LED: 950, 960, 980, 1000nm (don't know exactly how high Fandy and Nitecore LEDs oscillate). Analog loses steam, eventually becoming useless at utilization, above around 980nm - from the info that's in numerous posts around here. You always see comments about "losing range" with 940 compared to 850 LEDs. Probably because they can't pick up the higher oscillations?

Put it this way: Can you use a B.E. Meyers MAWL-CLAD (1064nm) with your 14? You can with an Aurora. How about a Hellstar 6 SWIR? (note: the HS6 has two modes: 1064nm and 1550nm - the second, the Aurora can't see either).

This is another "on paper" argument - a movie shot on film, will *always* have the best "resolution", because analog *has* no resolution. But a 1080p movie is hardly "not detailed enough" to get the job done.

Here is a 3AM shot (compressed off SD Card), pitch black, with a Nitecore CI7 at 7 Watts - do you think you couldn't ID a home invader, and hit him? For $400 (now $599 I guess). "Good Enough" *is* a viable thing, for a lot of people. Don't shoot my Sable GSD.

https://i.imgur.com/FsZMXGe.jpg
View Quote

That photo looks dang good and no noise....why does your photo look better than some of the others that's been posted that shows some noise even with IR on.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 11:25:43 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#42]
Originally Posted By Dapzel:

That photo looks dang good and no noise....why does your photo look better than some of the others that's been posted that shows some noise even with IR on.

View Quote

Probably because it's not at the 720p - I post these on other forums that have size limits, so resize in IrfanView. Since that's my house, I can re-do it and use the raw file off the SD Card - maybe tonight. On the flip side, that looks about like what you see through the EVF, but I'll re-do it, I'm not trying to put on the flim-flam

EDIT: Let me see if I kept the original, I'll put it here if so VVV (I DID!!!! XQE-006.jpg is below) Also, I always forget to focus - I think I was focused on the cabinet under the TV, but not sure.

Link Posted: 4/29/2020 12:48:44 PM EDT
[#43]
That photo still looks good.
If that's what you see compared to some of the other photos that are posted then that's pretty dang good.
How come some of the other guys photos look grainy compared to yours is what I was trying to figure out
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:05:00 PM EDT
[#44]
If that's what you see compared to some of the other photos that are posted then that's pretty dang good.
How come some of the other guys photos look grainy compared to yours is what I was trying to figure out
View Quote

I don't know, might it have something to do with being indoors, and the IR continuously "bouncing around" vs going off into space? No idea, not a photon engineer
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:13:50 PM EDT
[#45]

View Quote

I honestly have no idea, but it would make the most sense that it is streaming the lower res video.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:16:57 PM EDT
[#46]

I don't know, might it have something to do with being indoors, and the IR continuously "bouncing around" vs going off into space? No idea, not a photon engineer
View Quote

I think it has a lot to do with the settings and how things are saved. I am guilty of just taking pictures with my phone through the viewfinder, and that adds to the artifacts. It sounds like with your info about sharing pics you're not an idiot with this kind of tech, unlike me.
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 1:29:55 PM EDT
[#47]

I think it has a lot to do with the settings and how things are saved. I am guilty of just taking pictures with my phone through the viewfinder, and that adds to the artifacts. It sounds like with your info about sharing pics you're not an idiot with this kind of tech, unlike me.
View All Quotes

Maybe that's what it is settings and phone through view finder

I wonder if slappomatt used his his phone camera to snap the pic and mickdonaldson pulled his off the SD card is what making the difference because to me there is a world of difference in the two picts as far as clarity then again it could be like mickdonaldson said about outside and those protons bouncing around haha
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:18:08 PM EDT
[#48]

Probably because it's not at the 720p - I post these on other forums that have size limits, so resize in IrfanView. Since that's my house, I can re-do it and use the raw file off the SD Card - maybe tonight. On the flip side, that looks about like what you see through the EVF, but I'll re-do it, I'm not trying to put on the flim-flam

EDIT: Let me see if I kept the original, I'll put it here if so VVV (I DID!!!! XQE-006.jpg is below) Also, I always forget to focus - I think I was focused on the cabinet under the TV, but not sure.

https://i.imgur.com/iHQoDdJ.jpg
View All Quotes

https://i.imgur.com/iHQoDdJ.jpg
That does look really good.

I know you've been on these for a while now, so wondering if you've noticed any changes from firmware updates?
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 2:47:25 PM EDT
[#49]
View Quote

Grain = No IR (for the most part)

I'll say it again... Couple an Aurora with IR and you get "OMFG NIGHT VISION!!!".
Link Posted: 4/29/2020 9:19:09 PM EDT
[#50]

It does not look too bad on the second shot with the ir out to the motor home.  A gen 3 would look like the second shot of the motor home all the way to the fence without any extra ir.

Edit what I wrote just sounds confusing. SO a gen 3 would give the resolution you are getting of the motor home with the ir over the whole pic with no ir. You would clearly be able to see the fences at full res, infact with a 1/4 moon an auto gated would be turning it self down as there is way more light than needed.
View Quote
yeah. Ill say what everyone else keeps saying the jpgs out of the camera doesn't really do it justice. I didn't even post the other two I took out farther because the stills look so bad. through the viewfinder they are noticeably better. and you also have to remember that this is using a digital zoom to get to 1:1 so the Aurora is at a notable disadvantage there when it comes to resolution. The technology is getting close, its just not really designed to go head to head against a PVS 14. with native 1:1 glass optics, optimized evf hardware etc it could be even closer. but you have to remember this is at a seriously different price point. I would love to see what sionyx could do if they set out to make a real BNVD designed for the get go to be helmet mounted and at a closer price point.  say a $4000 digital BNVD. remote mounted 18650 battery pack etc.
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top