[#1]
That looks like a phasing conflict between the
laser & the video display. Try changing the
shutter speed in the camera.

Just a thought.

John

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By tranzformer:
Anyone else have a PERST-3 gen 1? I was playing around with mine tonight and noticed with the diffuser on, I was getting some kind of interference going on with the Aurora and had horizontal scrolling lines thing going on. Anyone else experience this?

https://i.ibb.co/ZmrbnBh/Si-Onyx-231187-20200107225344-XQE-0027.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/3R09gbK/Si-Onyx-231187-20200107215611-XQE-0019.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/qmFy18k/Si-Onyx-231187-20200107225852-XQE-0031.jpg

https://i.ibb.co/tLYKqWs/Si-Onyx-231187-20200107230033-XQE-0033.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 10:37:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Styer:

72 hours later sill ZERO detectable drain. Still at 4.14V
View Quote
Mine doesn't drain all the time... makes me think the tailcap occasionally shorts or something.

Are you manipulating the tailcap between tests by chance?  If not, give that a try.  Or maybe they fixed it again.
Link Posted: 1/8/2020 11:19:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Originally Posted By Johnny_C:

Just a thought.

John
View Quote
Thinking about this comment it could be it. A lot of times this will show up as a rolling set of lines though.

Here's more info on polarizing filters with DSLR cameras:
https://www.lindseyoptics.com/blog/linear-polarizer-vs-circular-polarizer-whats-the-difference/

I'm curious to know who makes the laser and filter as based on your posts, it's only occurring when you put the filter over the active laser. You don't have the issue when the laser is operated without the filter in place...correct?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:01:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By kallnojoy:

Mine doesn't drain all the time... makes me think the tailcap occasionally shorts or something.

Are you manipulating the tailcap between tests by chance?  If not, give that a try.  Or maybe they fixed it again.
View Quote
Yes I was briefly clicking on and off the tailcap each evening. My Aurora finally came in last night so the test is over because I ran the light a lot playing with the aurora.
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:04:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:

I'm curious to know who makes the laser and filter as based on your posts, it's only occurring when you put the filter over the active laser. You don't have the issue when the laser is operated without the filter in place...correct?
View Quote
PERST's are Russian. Is this anything like why there is an Alternate mode on a MAWL? Something about interaction with Photonis (IIRC) tubes?
Link Posted: 1/9/2020 10:54:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Gr8Santini] [#6]
Aspis lens protectors back in stock

Here
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:37:20 AM EDT
[#7]
Are y'all ordering from Ivan or off eBay from Zenitco?
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 12:49:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By TanklessPro:
View Quote
Just ordered off EBay from Zentico, paid for the standard shipping, curious how long it will take.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 1:26:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By TexasBrushHunter:

Just ordered off EBay from Zentico, paid for the standard shipping, curious how long it will take.
View Quote
I did the same. Ivan's website kept giving me issues. Was a little cheaper too IIRC. Paid for the faster shipping.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:48:13 AM EDT
[#10]
View Quote
I purchased mine from Black Phase Tactical.

Once you included taxes, fees for international charges and such it was cheaper. We’ll see how the shipping time works out but I’m not in a hurry at this point.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:57:29 AM EDT
[#11]
Originally Posted By chaas67:

I purchased mine from Black Phase Tactical.

Once you included taxes, fees for international charges and such it was cheaper. We’ll see how the shipping time works out but I’m not in a hurry at this point.
View Quote
At first, I thought he was buying a bunch, and shipping from him to you... but then I read about people complaining about shipping times - do you know if he is just ordering from Russia for you, or does he stock?
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 3:40:35 PM EDT
[#12]
Kind of on a side note, my 14's will sometimes
cause a feedback loop with my Howard Leights.
I can't remember how I corrected it. It was
either the volume or the gain. I think it was
the gain, because I remember thinking it was
funny when I did it.

Thinking about this comment it could be it. A lot of times this will show up as a rolling set of lines though.

https://www.lindseyoptics.com/blog/linear-polarizer-vs-circular-polarizer-whats-the-difference/

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Johnny_C:

Just a thought.

John

Link Posted: 1/10/2020 5:19:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: chaas67] [#13]
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:

At first, I thought he was buying a bunch, and shipping from him to you... but then I read about people complaining about shipping times - do you know if he is just ordering from Russia for you, or does he stock?
View Quote
I’m not sure how he’s managing that and at the end of the day didn’t let it influence my decision. If it takes 6 months to get it, I’ll regret it I’m sure but I’ll cross that bridge when I come to it.

I will update in the PERST - 3 thread how long it takes so that other buyers can decide for themselves.
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]
$132 ballistic helmet, there's a whole thread in GD on KOTA and a few posts near the end on their helmets.

https://www.kotaoutfitters.com/product-page/ach-fast-high-cut-iii-a-ballistic-helmet

https://www.ar15.com/forums/general/PSA-Deal-Alert-HESCO-4401-Plates/5-2282394/
Link Posted: 1/10/2020 11:59:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Are you in Night Mode on the front ring? Every YouTube vid comparing Night Pictures with the latest iPhone vs the Aurora, has the iPhone taking an almost black picture? Or is this in "Day" mode? I assume the Aurora isn't that great of a Day Camera, since they are concentrating on Night Vision?

Edit: Oh WAIT!!!! I just re-read - YES, what you see on the EVF is WAY better than the 720p compressed media it produces. So your massive resolution phone camera, taking a pic of the EVF - WILL give a better pic.
View Quote
Cool, thanks.
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 2:16:21 AM EDT
[#16]
I like it!
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 9:35:30 AM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By BUDLIGHT906:

...there's a whole thread in GD on KOTA and a few posts near the end on their helmets.
View Quote
Thanks for the thread - I had no idea who Kota were and was a little skeptical - seems they are a clearing house with affiliation with Mid-West Armor, and I like what they say in emails. Bookmarked.

As an aside, man I wish arfcom was smaller So many different places talking about the same stuff - hard to find! LOL
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 5:02:59 PM EDT
[#18]
How long does it take to charge the sport model from new?
Link Posted: 1/11/2020 5:13:41 PM EDT
[#19]
How long does it take to charge the sport model from new?
View Quote
Mine new (got it 7 days ago) was on 1/4 battery out of the package and I left it charging 3 hours and it was fully charged when I got back.
Link Posted: 1/12/2020 11:26:43 AM EDT
[#20]

Mine new (got it 7 days ago) was on 1/4 battery out of the package and I left it charging 3 hours and it was fully charged when I got back.
View Quote
And the nice thing is, If you go helmet mounted with an external batt, the camera internal is always full. And you just need to keep the 'way easier to remove/charge' external topped off.
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:07:04 PM EDT
[#21]
Originally Posted By mpatch:
The FPS is where I have been reading contradicting info. Some say set it to 60 and leave it others say 30 is better for night/low light stuff but 60 for daylight.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

This list is from @gaspain. Not sure if any changes or updates to the list need to be made.

Tips for setting up SiOnyx camera for helmet use as of 9/14/2019, subject to firmware changes:
1-Use Video mode, set EIS off, FPS to 60, 720p, HDR on
2-Long press the SET button to access the menu, Toggle down to EVF Time Out and set to "Never"
3-zoom in 3 clicks for 1:1 view (using the 4 way buttons)
4-turn down viewfinder illumination almost all the way (using the 4 way buttons)
The FPS is where I have been reading contradicting info. Some say set it to 60 and leave it others say 30 is better for night/low light stuff but 60 for daylight.
I have spent about 30mins looking for an updated list of suggested settings. Is this the latest?
Link Posted: 1/13/2020 6:11:28 PM EDT
[#22]

I have spent about 30mins looking for an updated list of suggested settings. Is this the latest?
View Quote
I keep it at 30fps. If you go to 60 without any IR help it gets super grainy.
I normally use camera mode vs vid mode.
I would suggest playing with it and seeing what works best for you.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:25:49 AM EDT
[#23]
I keep it at 30fps. If you go to 60 without any IR help it gets super grainy.
I normally use camera mode vs vid mode.
I would suggest playing with it and seeing what works best for you.
View Quote
Same here. I have yet to detect any poorer performance in Camera mode, compared to Video mode. You can definitely make the Video Mode do different things, depending on settings, but Camera mode just seems to work, I would *love* for a Sionyx employee to explain how Video outperforms Camera? I actually can't believe they are not officially in this thread - this thread has way better tech info than the FB Airsoft board???
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 11:33:14 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mickdonaldson] [#24]

View Quote
I would say try Camera Mode, HDR Off, Auto Shutter (but I don't think shutter settings do anything until you actually take a picture)

OR

Video Mode, HDR Off, and everything from 360p/24-30fps to 720p/24-30fps. If you are under IR, you can try 60fps and as a Day Video Camera you want 60fps.

Try them all in the same exact place, at the same time, and pick what's best for your eyes. EIS always off. 24fps always looks like it causes slower pixel refresh on the EVF, for me. Camera Mode is so simple, no settings, and it's the first click on the dial
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 12:57:19 PM EDT
[Last Edit: ARnTN] [#25]
What are everyone’s thoughts on one of the soft “skull crusher” type options versus a helmet?

ETA: I like the ability of the skull crusher to be packed easily, but I would probably want the ability to mount an IR light and maybe an external battery.  I only have one Aurora, so it would be a monocular setup.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 1:15:12 PM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By ARnTN:
What are everyone’s thoughts on one of the soft “skull crusher” type options versus a helmet?

ETA: I like the ability of the skull crusher to be packed easily, but I would probably want the ability to mount an IR light and maybe an external battery.  I only have one Aurora, so it would be a monocular setup.
View Quote
Needing IR more, is the one thing the Auroa...needs I'd say forget the skull crusher unless you are really just going to look around at stuff at night, with a hand held...for ~2-3 hours max. If there will be a long gun in your hand - get a helmet.
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 2:28:33 PM EDT
[#27]
Whats your mount setup? I thought the mount didn't work with real deal ballistic helmets?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 5:40:57 PM EDT
[#28]
Has anyone tried pairing the Aurora with a stand-alone PVS14, like dual 14s or bino?
Link Posted: 1/14/2020 6:03:02 PM EDT
[#29]
Originally Posted By ARnTN:
What are everyone's thoughts on one of the soft "skull crusher" type options versus a helmet?

View Quote
I've got the crye night cap. I like it. No desire for a helmet as I wear one everyday at work.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 3:05:03 PM EDT
[Last Edit: BUDLIGHT906] [#30]
Originally Posted By HappyCamel:
Whats your mount setup? I thought the mount didn't work with real deal ballistic helmets?
View Quote
It works fine with the mount everyone's using in this thread.
@HappyCamel
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 5:53:22 PM EDT
[#31]
Alright guys, I've made it to page 30 (still reading) and have a question. Since I've never even considered NV before I'm wondering if I need a DBAL or similar. Can I just use a monocular setup on my left eye and use the red dot on my right? Does that work?
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 6:07:17 PM EDT
[#32]
Originally Posted By JoeJeeps:
Alright guys, I've made it to page 30 (still reading) and have a question. Since I've never even considered NV before I'm wondering if I need a DBAL or similar. Can I just use a monocular setup on my left eye and use the red dot on my right? Does that work?
View Quote
Everyone is different and has different expectations.
Try it see if it works for you.
Link Posted: 1/16/2020 9:10:44 PM EDT
[#33]
View Quote
I tried the left eye NV/right eye RDS and it doesn't work for me. I have a Holosun LS117IR IR laser mounted in front of my optic now instead and it works surprisingly well.

Tomac

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:21:59 AM EDT
[#34]
View Quote
Passive aiming works great when you don't need IR illumination to see the target (if you do, then just use the LAM). How you do it is going to be up to you individually, and your gear setup. If your brain works this way, you can try running the single unit on your "weak side" eye, and using your "strong side eye" to look at the reticle. This can work with an optic center at the Lower 1/3 height (~1.7"), but probably not Absolute (1.5"), (doesn't for me). It isn't really comfortable though, at least for me.

Adding a 0.5" UTG Pro-Line Riser (most affordable option, Pro-Line is made in Michigan) to either an Absolute or Lower 1/3 mounted optic, really works well, as it raises optic center-line to 2.0"-2.2". I shoot this way with Binos, so you can definitely get the Aurora behind the RDS, even when worn "strong side".

I use those terms because some people shoot "righty" but look with the left eye and vice versa (cross eye dominant).

The other option is to buy one of those insanely expensive "High Rise" mounts, like the Unity FAST.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 3:46:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Does anyone have the Norotos PVS-15/18 socket in-stock?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:23:32 PM EDT
[#36]
Originally Posted By lew:
Does anyone have the Norotos PVS-15/18 socket in-stock?
View Quote
HCC Tactical
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 6:59:30 PM EDT
[Last Edit: lew] [#37]

HCC Tactical
View Quote
You f-in' rock. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 7:40:57 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By BladedRonin:
Has anyone tried pairing the Aurora with a stand-alone PVS14, like dual 14s or bino?
View Quote
I have and it made everything look 3D.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 6:55:38 AM EDT
[#39]
Originally Posted By ffemt596:

I have and it made everything look 3D.
View Quote
So it worked?
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 7:42:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Styer] [#40]
Well I tried out the whole Sionyx Aurora thing and while it's very cool to play with I just don't have a real need for NV in my life I figured out
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 6:04:45 PM EDT
[#41]
I wish this had a reticle.  I want to put this on my 22LR to pop some pests.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 6:42:54 PM EDT
[#42]
No recoil on a .22 - put it behind a Red Dot.
Link Posted: 1/20/2020 8:34:00 PM EDT
[#43]
No recoil on a .22 - put it behind a Red Dot.
View Quote
I did.  The image degradation was huge.  Just not enough light making it to the chip.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 2:33:01 AM EDT
[#44]
Looks like Farrow Tech is now offering a mount adapter for the Aurora. Nice to see more options.

https://farrow.tech/sionyx-aurora-pvs14-helmet-mount-adapter/
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 3:13:24 AM EDT
[#45]
got the 5W 1050nm LED installed into a fandyfire. Good and bad. good, it seems to light up the room and can see. Tryed it with analog, cannot see illumination thats cast. BUT you can see it faintly in a reflection in a mirror. the LEDs range is 1000-1050nm so im thinking its getting a bit of the blead over. Im at 1A right now and the led is rated for 1.2A so ill try grafting on another chip to the controler and it will be over by .2 A. Dont know if it will kill it. I know I killed the 3Ws by driving them at 3A LOL. Cannot see it with the naked eye.

I shot some video ill get it posted tommorow after class. Now if we can track down a 5W 1100nm led I want to try that next.

more parts comming so ill keep working on it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:48:47 AM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Steamedliver:

I did.  The image degradation was huge.  Just not enough light making it to the chip.
View Quote
I don't know - shooting my RMR works great - what RDS do you have? Holosun's coatings block IR light, we have found out.
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:52:09 AM EDT
[#47]
Looks like Farrow Tech is now offering a mount adapter for the Aurora. Nice to see more options.

https://farrow.tech/sionyx-aurora-pvs14-helmet-mount-adapter/
View Quote
Isn't that the same one that's been up on the site for a while? It's canted when worn. When a 14 is in use, the threaded portion sits at an angle. ???
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 4:53:32 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Fat_McNasty:
got the 5W 1050nm LED installed into a fandyfire. Good and bad. good, it seems to light up the room and can see. Tryed it with analog, cannot see illumination thats cast. BUT you can see it faintly in a reflection in a mirror. the LEDs range is 1000-1050nm so im thinking its getting a bit of the blead over. Im at 1A right now and the led is rated for 1.2A so ill try grafting on another chip to the controler and it will be over by .2 A. Dont know if it will kill it. I know I killed the 3Ws by driving them at 3A LOL. Cannot see it with the naked eye.

I shot some video ill get it posted tommorow after class. Now if we can track down a 5W 1100nm led I want to try that next.

more parts comming so ill keep working on it.
View Quote
Very cool, stuff only gets better...
Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:31:12 AM EDT
[#49]
Intredasting

Link Posted: 1/21/2020 10:59:04 AM EDT
[#50]
NICE. Can't wait to see how it compares to the original.
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top