Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page / 121
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 12:53:44 PM EDT
[#1]
He's updating it since the new firmware improved a lot of things - he'll re-post it when he finishes compiling all the data. Cut him some slack - those comparison pics and vids are some of the best on here.
VP
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 6:03:45 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By mickdonaldson:
He's updating it since the new firmware improved a lot of things - he'll re-post it when he finishes compiling all the data. Cut him some slack - those comparison pics and vids are some of the best on here.
View Quote

I agree, they were.  Just seems like an odd choice to just wipe it all as a reference source.
Link Posted: 12/25/2023 7:11:54 PM EDT
[#3]
View Quote

Indeed they were, but still would have been nice to have a reference.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 12:55:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I finally got my Pro setup with a helmet mount and have been playing around with it around the house.  What are you guys finding is the best optic setup for shooting (with a helmet setup)?  I have been looking through a couple of my 1-6x, red dots, etc. to try and see what I like but curious what works best.  I have been looking at doing the 3dprinted laser setup and wondering if that would be good for hog hunting.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 1:12:02 PM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By ag04blast:
I finally got my Pro setup with a helmet mount and have been playing around with it around the house.  What are you guys finding is the best optic setup for shooting (with a helmet setup)?  I have been looking through a couple of my 1-6x, red dots, etc. to try and see what I like but curious what works best.  I have been looking at doing the 3dprinted laser setup and wondering if that would be good for hog hunting.
View Quote

Get a Steiner mini tor IR
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 2:53:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By Rooster-X:

Indeed they were, but still would have been nice to have a reference.
View Quote
I thought it was very odd.

The photos & videos were great and would've been a good comparison against the updated firmware.

His deletion and then constant requests to delete the thread, not just lock, made it even weirder....

Given the mods didn't delete his thread, and the way he was asking, I'm not sure he'll post any updates on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 3:54:15 PM EDT
[#7]
View Quote

Your best option for passive is a 1x Prism/RDS/Holo (The PA Micro 1x Prism, a 509T top mounted to an LVPO, and Pistol RMR are what I have - all good). EOT, Aimpoints, the AEMS are also good. Some older model Holosuns block a lot of light transmission, FYI. LVPOs are usually a loser, unless you send a ton of IR downrange.

For active, the Mini TOR for minimalist - for a full featured LAM on a budget, the LS321G from HS is solid (or 221/117 with less features). For really budget - I think that SMS Laser has been holding up?
Link Posted: 12/27/2023 4:30:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Your best option for passive is a 1x Prism/RDS/Holo (The PA Micro 1x Prism, a 509T top mounted to an LVPO, and Pistol RMR are what I have - all good). EOT, Aimpoints, the AEMS are also good. Some older model Holosuns block a lot of light transmission, FYI. LVPOs are usually a loser, unless you send a ton of IR downrange.

For active, the Mini TOR for minimalist - for a full featured LAM on a budget, the LS321G from HS is solid (or 221/117 with less features). For really budget - I think that SMS Laser has been holding up?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

Thanks, this is helpful.  In the near term, I think I can make it work shooting through my 1-6x but want to get something setup better.  I have a Vortex prism but am not able to pick up a good sight picture through it.  I think I have a buddy who has a PA micro, ill see if I can try it out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2023 7:39:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Blackwind] [#9]
Originally Posted By gsd1983:
Just got started with the Aurora Black (another $399 guy here). So far I'm happy.

Found a QD from Farrow-Tech that lines up with your optic. Kind of a pick your poison deal. And for what looks like $50 a pop and free shipping

https://farrow.tech/sionyx-aurora-picatinny-rail-mount/

View Quote
Never heard of FarrowTech until recently. Trying out their Sionyx Aurora PVS14/Helmet Mount Adapter. I, of course, had to order a J Arm.

EDIT: So while the adapter works, it holds the Sionyx at a strange angle. I'll keep playing around with it and see if I can get it too adjust to a more appropriate position.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 2:31:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Stupid question, but does anyone know what size butler creek cap would fit on the aurora?  I'm just wanting to cover the lens while it's in the safe or in travel for the most part.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 4:49:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#11]
Originally Posted By NorthPolar:
Stupid question, but does anyone know what size butler creek cap would fit on the aurora?  I'm just wanting to cover the lens while it's in the safe or in travel for the most part.
View Quote

Butler Creek blizzard #8 from in this thread, but I cant personally confirm
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 5:12:19 AM EDT
[Last Edit: gaspain] [#12]
Eurooptic has a decent deal going on the Pro, some backorder. And if you need a mount use code 20EURO2024 at kiloohm on etsy, 20% off this weekend only. Happy New Year!

Attachment Attached File

and refurbs are a fair deal at sionyx.com
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 9:27:11 AM EDT
[#13]
Milehighshooting has the pro for $699 in-stock, looks like a couple left.

Very tempting, bought my sionyx pro used (like new) on gunbroker for $500, if the pro (new) gets down around $600 I would get a second or if I could find it used for $500.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 11:37:46 AM EDT
[#14]
I still have my slightly used Pro in EE, I might entertain trades.
Link Posted: 12/30/2023 12:31:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Nosler180:
Milehighshooting has the pro for $699 in-stock, looks like a couple left.

Very tempting, bought my sionyx pro used (like new) on gunbroker for $500, if the pro (new) gets down around $600 I would get a second or if I could find it used for $500.
View Quote

Not bad. Believe it or not, ExpertVoice and Guidefitter are higher than that. Midway was the best in recent memory, in the $500s IIRC - but long gone. They are handy to have, even if you have Analog - they are just too damn easy to record with, vs all the BS you need to go through recording through an analog tube.
Link Posted: 12/31/2023 10:14:10 PM EDT
[#16]
Originally Posted By gaspain:

View All Quotes

That's correct. I use Butler Blizzard #8.
Link Posted: 1/1/2024 5:09:16 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks guys
Link Posted: 1/2/2024 10:27:55 AM EDT
[#18]

View All Quotes

I bought one and can confirm they fit perfect.  If you want the cap to go all the way down you have you trim some of the rim off.  I just keep the standoff as is.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 10:24:38 AM EDT
[Last Edit: nuke1] [#19]
I just bought a BLACK BUNDLE (AURORA BLACK + ILLUMINATOR KIT) for $359.10
You get a 10% code when giving them your email. WELCOME10
This will be my first NV of any type.
The main use will be around our property.
I will get a mount for my SBR and try that out behind a RDO.
AURORA BLACK BUNDLE (AURORA BLACK + ILLUMINATOR KIT)
ILLUMINATOR KIT
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:01:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Originally Posted By nuke1:
I just bought a BLACK BUNDLE (AURORA BLACK + ILLUMINATOR KIT) for $359.10
You get a 10% code when giving them your email. WELCOME10
This will be my first NV of any type.
The main use will be around our property.
I will get a mount for my SBR and try that out behind a RDO.
AURORA BLACK BUNDLE (AURORA BLACK + ILLUMINATOR KIT)
ILLUMINATOR KIT
View Quote

Just set your expectations appropriately and you should find it useful. The Black has the Gen 1 Sensor, so below 1/2 Moon or equivalent ambient, you'll need the illuminator. If your location in CT isn't completely rural, the local skyglow, and that from Hartford, New Haven, and NYC, may help you out.
Link Posted: 1/6/2024 11:15:42 AM EDT
[#21]
Thanks,
Since I have no experience with any NV, my only frame of reference is what I've read here, watching videos, and reading reviews (Amazon/others).
I live in a pretty rural area of CT, so I expect to use an illuminator of some type.
I might think they are GTG since I haven't looked through "good NV or thermals".
I don’t know what I don’t know LOL.

Link Posted: 1/10/2024 7:07:45 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By nuke1:
Thanks,
Since I have no experience with any NV, my only frame of reference is what I've read here, watching videos, and reading reviews (Amazon/others).
I live in a pretty rural area of CT, so I expect to use an illuminator of some type.
I might think they are GTG since I haven't looked through "good NV or thermals".
I don't know what I don't know LOL.

View Quote
While I own two Sionyx Sports, I will not put more money into those when I can pour that into actual real NV. I believe I only spent around 400 for each of those and they do come in handy for stuff. I am actually about to "rehouse" my 14's into Tanto housings and I have also looking into NNTV intensifier tubes as well for another setup.
Link Posted: 1/23/2024 5:15:15 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone see anything from SHOT?
Link Posted: 1/25/2024 3:29:49 PM EDT
[#24]
From their IG page.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2024 8:29:10 PM EDT
[#25]
Got a question about my Aurora model.

All of earlier version users know the image quality gets more grainy as the ambient light fades. Mid to late evening these things shine the best, but in the pitch black auxiliary illumination is needed.

It was just now getting pretty dark here, so i broke out the Aurora. Outside view was getting grainy, but i snapped a few stills. The still shots are amazingly clear and colorful. The camera shows the stills taken for like a 1/2 second,  then it reverts to live view again.

Why do the stills look so awesome, but live view so grainy?
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 12:09:09 AM EDT
[#26]
Originally Posted By Flysc:
Got a question about my Aurora model.

All of earlier version users know the image quality gets more grainy as the ambient light fades. Mid to late evening these things shine the best, but in the pitch black auxiliary illumination is needed.

It was just now getting pretty dark here, so i broke out the Aurora. Outside view was getting grainy, but i snapped a few stills. The still shots are amazingly clear and colorful. The camera shows the stills taken for like a 1/2 second,  then it reverts to live view again.

Why do the stills look so awesome, but live view so grainy?
View Quote
At a guess, the camera is averaging the image over that time to combine into a brighter picture.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 12:29:42 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By blwngazkit:
At a guess, the camera is averaging the image over that time to combine into a brighter picture.
View Quote

I'm not a camera dude, so that sounds plausible.
Link Posted: 1/28/2024 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#28]
You might have set your shutter to a long, fixed manual setting, or you just hit the right time where AUTO actually did a good job. 99% of the time, live view looks way better than captured stills or video. Sounds like you have a 1st Gen Sensor (Black, Classic or Sport) if stuff only looks good around dusk?

Edit: Also make sure your 'Scene Ring' is on NIGHT, and not one of the other two settings.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:21:10 AM EDT
[#29]
Has anyone tried out the new OPSIN firmware update? Improvements? I have a line on an extremely low price on them and its enough to tempt me to try one.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 2:31:41 AM EDT
[#30]
Originally Posted By Blackwind:
Has anyone tried out the new OPSIN firmware update? Improvements? I have a line on an extremely low price on them and its enough to tempt me to try one.
View Quote

Ditto
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:24:51 AM EDT
[#31]
View Quote

Groundhog Oz did, and there was improvement. He said he wanted to re-do the OPSIN thread with the new firmware - hopefully that happens.
Link Posted: 2/24/2024 10:27:28 PM EDT
[#32]
View Quote

tell me more
Link Posted: 2/25/2024 9:08:44 PM EDT
[#33]

tell me more
View Quote
Unfortunately, this is not a public offer.
Page / 121
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top