BCM
User Panel

Page / 121
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 9:24:40 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By fortydelta:

Emerson helmet and rhno - $45 Ebay
RQE JAMR type mount - $130ish I can't remember exact.
Knock off lanyard - $15
View Quote
Trying to dip my toe into this....

I already own this
https://shop.brownells.com/optics-mounting/night-vision/mounts-amp-accessories/atn-pagst-helmet-mount-assembly-sku100200256-55458-116846.aspx

What would it take to get one of these Aurora's mounted to one of those Emerson helmets?

@fortydelta
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:02:33 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By JoeMal:
Trying to dip my toe into this....

I already own this
https://shop.brownells.com/optics-mounting/night-vision/mounts-amp-accessories/atn-pagst-helmet-mount-assembly-sku100200256-55458-116846.aspx

What would it take to get one of these Aurora's mounted to one of those Emerson helmets?

@fortydelta
View Quote
Check out my posts on page 9. PM sent.
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:20:45 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 2/26/2019 11:49:04 PM EDT
[#4]
Are any of the Sionyx product capable of working as a clip-on with a magnified scope?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:20:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Originally Posted By Wangstang:
Are any of the Sionyx product capable of working as a clip-on with a magnified scope?
View Quote
Read back a few pages. I discussed it extensively.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 8:24:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Just picked one up. Thanks fortydelta, kel, and others for your information posts and videos. Into the dark I go...
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 9:32:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Just picked one up. Thanks fortydelta, kel, and others for your information posts and videos. Into the dark I go...
View Quote
I played with mine some last night. When you first try it at night, don't forget about the lens focus and brightness adjustment; forward and back on the D-pad. It can make a shitty image look alot better if you remember to adjust on the fly.
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 11:18:39 AM EDT
[#8]

I would like to find a helmet mountable size 940nm or above light.
View Quote
Did you end up solving this problem? I'll likely end up with one of the Emerson helmets and will need a light and appropriate mounting system. I saw in the thread you borrowed a helmet that had a light on it - was that an Emerson or other model?
Link Posted: 2/27/2019 11:59:12 AM EDT
[#9]

Emerson helmet and rhno - $45 Ebay
RQE JAMR type mount - $130ish I can't remember exact.
Knock off lanyard - $15
View Quote
Is this everything needed?  Sorry but this is very new to me and was going a different (much more expensive) route - not by choice.

How does it perform?  Solid?  Viewer level?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 4:08:57 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 7:22:27 PM EDT
[#11]
Anyone know of the best price out there?

Seems like they were $600 over Black Friday, but now $800 everywhere.
Link Posted: 3/1/2019 7:47:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By juslearnin:
Anyone know of the best price out there?

Seems like they were $600 over Black Friday, but now $800 everywhere.
View Quote
There were two in the EE.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 10:23:21 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#13]
Originally Posted By mah827:

View Quote

Humble first impressions.  I've only used true PVS14 one time, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt

My neighborhood isn't the best environment to push the Aurora, but I did what I could last night after receiving mine in the mail.  I might try to get out tonight to a darker part of town to see how it performs.  You'll notice a lot of ambient light from light poles and homes.

These images were all in the night color mode, without adjusting the gain. I'll admit I probably didn't do the best job at keeping the monocular steady while taking the photos. I'll try to be more stable tonight

These two images show me 80 yards from a tree, with and without IR.  For IR, I purchased the FandyFire light recommended in this thread.  The IR picture shows the bulb at about half flood

These images are looking down an open park area.  The IR-lighted tree is approx 130 yards away on full beam

Initial impressions are positive.  I look forward to using the device more.  I will be running mine to hunt (helmet mounted) and walk around on my lease property.  I'll post more feedback as I have it to help contribute in the thread.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:19:35 AM EDT
[#14]
Your images with the FandyFire light seem much dimmer than mine.  I just received my second light from Amazon and they are both identical in performance.  I wonder if your ambient light is diminishing the IR effect.  When I use my lights it's like a spotlight effect with a very distinct edge, especially when zoomed for maximum distance.  The 100 yard photo I've posted I think demonstrates this focus.

If possible, perhaps try your camera and light in a darker area to see if this matches my experiences.  I'm kinda wondering if your battery might not be charged.  Do you see a dim red glow from the emitter when it's on?
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:34:06 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#15]
Originally Posted By draver:

Do you see a dim red glow from the emitter when it's on?
View Quote
Yes I did. I'm wondering the same. The batteries I bought were fully charged according to the charger. I'll try in a darker environment

Which batteries are you using? I bought these. Should I consider getting 4.2v batteries?
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 12:55:15 PM EDT
[Last Edit: draver] [#16]
I buy & use Panasonic  protected 18650’s almost exclusively.  I have a few off brands that came with devices, but the Pana’s are about 90% of my stock.  I think it’s probably the bright streetlights killing your auto exposure but hard to tell.  I check my area practically every morning around 3-5AM or so, and keep testing my camera & lights.

Edited to add:   Next time I'm out after dark with my gear I'll try and do a controlled photo shoot with my camera and IR's at measured distances in a dark environment.  May not be too soon though.  I will say that my 2 security cam systems with IR respond quite well to the Fandy lights.  One system has 850nm built in lamps, the other 940nm.  Of course the 940 system responds quite a bit better to the Fandys.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:14:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Humble first impressions.  I've only used true PVS14 one time, so take my thoughts with a grain of salt

My neighborhood isn't the best environment to push the Aurora, but I did what I could last night after receiving mine in the mail.  I might try to get out tonight to a darker part of town to see how it performs.  You'll notice a lot of ambient light from light poles and homes.

These images were all in the night color mode, without adjusting the gain. I'll admit I probably didn't do the best job at keeping the monocular steady while taking the photos. I'll try to be more stable tonight

These two images show me 80 yards from a tree, with and without IR.  For IR, I purchased the Fandy Fare light recommended in this thread.  The IR picture shows the bulb at about half flood
https://i.imgur.com/poDQ71I.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9ajgvnG.jpg

These images are looking down an open park area.  The IR-lighted tree is approx 130 yards away on full beam
https://i.imgur.com/i9llSjZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PuillE7.jpg

Initial impressions are positive.  I look forward to using the device more.  I will be running mine to hunt (helmet mounted) and walk around on my lease property.  I'll post more feedback as I have it to help contribute in the thread.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By mah827:

These two images show me 80 yards from a tree, with and without IR.  For IR, I purchased the Fandy Fare light recommended in this thread.  The IR picture shows the bulb at about half flood
https://i.imgur.com/poDQ71I.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/9ajgvnG.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/i9llSjZ.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/PuillE7.jpg

Very cool, that looks good.

I want to do this with a helmet to supplement my thermal scope, but I'm struggling to pull the trigger without being able to look through one in person.

Thanks for posting, and I'd appreciate pics and details on your final helmet setup too.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 3:32:07 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By TGE:

I want to do this with a helmet to supplement my thermal scope, but I'm struggling to pull the trigger without being able to look through one in person.

Thanks for posting, and I'd appreciate pics and details on your final helmet setup too.
View Quote
My helmet was inspired by fortydelta's post here a few pages back
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Sionyx-digital-color-night-vision-camera-legit-alternative-to-a-PVS-14-/18-491313/?page=9#i5072221

Helmet: Lancer Tactical PJ Type.  Someday I might upgrade to something a little nicer, but to get started this will work
Mount: ATN PASGT
Adapter: Custom.  fortydelta pointed me to a nice gentleman that makes adapters for these.  He asked that I not post his information publicly but is happy to work with people directly via email.  PM me if you want more info.  I assume the adapter shown in his images are from the guy I used
Shoe: Wilcox M-24 shoe.  You only need the shoe ($42 shipped).  This interfaces between the custom adapter and the Aurora itself.

The adapter should be delivered on Monday, otherwise I have everything ready to go.  The shoe needs 10 minutes worth of minor filing work to fit into the Aurora; I did this on my reloading bench.  A small amount of material needs removed, but it's not a big deal.

I'd be happy to let you try it if we can connect.  I reside in North Dallas and hunt down in the Normangee area...seeing you're in Texas, maybe we can meet sometime.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 9:18:40 PM EDT
[#19]
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Sionyx-digital-color-night-vision-camera-legit-alternative-to-a-PVS-14-/18-491313/?page=9#i5072221

Helmet: Lancer Tactical PJ Type.  Someday I might upgrade to something a little nicer, but to get started this will work
Adapter: Custom.  fortydelta pointed me to a nice gentleman that makes adapters for these.  He asked that I not post his information publicly but is happy to work with people directly via email.  PM me if you want more info.  I assume the adapter shown in his images are from the guy I used
Shoe: Wilcox M-24 shoe.  You only need the shoe ($42 shipped).  This interfaces between the custom adapter and the Aurora itself.

The adapter should be delivered on Monday, otherwise I have everything ready to go.  The shoe needs 10 minutes worth of minor filing work to fit into the Aurora; I did this on my reloading bench.  A small amount of material needs removed, but it's not a big deal.

I'd be happy to let you try it if we can connect.  I reside in North Dallas and hunt down in the Normangee area...seeing you're in Texas, maybe we can meet sometime.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By TGE:

That's a great offer, thank you! I'm on the north side of Ft Worth so probably not too far from you. When you're all set up I'd love to to get a look through it.

And thank you for that parts list, I missed the details earlier.
Link Posted: 3/2/2019 11:25:53 PM EDT
[#20]

View Quote
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:15:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#21]
Back with some additional images from last night.  It was cold and rainy last night so I went somewhere I knew would get pretty dark but didn't require a lot of walking.  There's another park down the road that's much bigger, 'away' from street lights and whatnot.  When I get my helmet setup on Monday, I might go out there.  This is all good practice for me as I have a hog hunting trip planned for next weekend.  I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of the Aurora before I'm sitting in a blind or walking my lease in the dark

Unfortunately I don't have distances to report.  This is a newer park and Google Maps has an old aerial image of the location...that's what I've used in the past to determine distances using their drawing tool.

Anyway

Color night mode, 0 gain, some with IR and some without.  I was mostly covered by trees, but it was raining and cloudy.  The last image shows the torch on beam, you can see how bright it is.  It's almost too bright.  The batteries I bought came with an indicator on the charger to indicate the batteries are full.  When I first charged them, it only took about 10 minutes for them to show as 'charged'.  This time, I left them on the charger for 6-8 hours before using them.  Maybe the indicator isn't the most reliable but these seem to be brighter than my first set of images (or perhaps less ambient lighting helped)

I will say the view through the viewfinder looked better than the photos.  

Link Posted: 3/3/2019 11:42:09 AM EDT
[Last Edit: draver] [#22]
Your images seem quite a bit brighter than the first set.  The flood views are about the same as what I am seeing with my setup.  All in all I'd say you're getting your money's worth, but that's just me perhaps.  One of the spot images seems to have an intermittent ribbed beam that I'm confused by.  Do you recall what caused that?

I still intend to find the time and location to do a measured series of pics that I'll post in this thread.

Edited to add:  When you get your helmet rig set up, zoom out 2-3 steps to have the display at a 1 to 1 image.  It makes navigation MUCH easier.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:08:35 PM EDT
[#23]
Your images seem quite a bit brighter than the first set.  The flood views are about the same as what I am seeing with my setup.  All in all I'd say you're getting your money's worth, but that's just me perhaps.  One of the spot images seems to have an intermittent ribbed beam that I'm confused by.  Do you recall what caused that?

I still intend to find the time and location to do a measured series of pics that I'll post in this thread.

Edited to add:  When you get your helmet rig set up, zoom out 2-3 steps to have the display at a 1 to 1 image.  It makes navigation MUCH easier.
View Quote
The ribbed beam you are seeing is most likely fog or simply humidity. We get that down here a good bit.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:24:09 PM EDT
[#24]

View Quote
Do you mean zoom in?

I backed the zoom all the way out, then went in 2 or 3 levels. I found it harder to get around as I wasn't seeing as much peripheral. Maybe I need to try it for a longer period.
Link Posted: 3/3/2019 12:31:43 PM EDT
[#25]
Yes, but I think of it as zooming out to a spot, thus my phrasing.  Oh well.  The display image becomes closer to 1:1 then and it’s easier to walk about.   Seems like you’ve already discovered that effect.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:01:03 AM EDT
[#26]
Back with some additional images from last night.  It was cold and rainy last night so I went somewhere I knew would get pretty dark but didn't require a lot of walking.  There's another park down the road that's much bigger, 'away' from street lights and whatnot.  When I get my helmet setup on Monday, I might go out there.  This is all good practice for me as I have a hog hunting trip planned for next weekend.  I'm trying to learn the ins and outs of the Aurora before I'm sitting in a blind or walking my lease in the dark
View Quote
Really appreciate you posting this and I'm following your efforts to rig up a head mount.  Looking forward TO PICS :-)

It's all greek to me and your info is a great help (as well as that posted by others)

- Thanks!
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:14:11 AM EDT
[#27]
Originally Posted By cledford3:

Really appreciate you posting this and I'm following your efforts to rig up a head mount.  Looking forward TO PICS :-)

It's all greek to me and your info is a great help (as well as that posted by others)

- Thanks!
View Quote
Happy to help and pay it forward. This is all new to me as well so we can learn together. On a whim I've dove into this on a recommendation from a friend and people in this thread providing input.

It's wicked cold (16 degrees for Texas might as well be -50) so I'm not sure if I'll get out tonight, but I should be able to get some pictures of my helmet rig.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:37:02 AM EDT
[#28]
I'll be putting mine to the test this weekend. Cola Warrior in standing water. I'm not competing with it, but will be moving around at night, filming all the old timers and their analog setups.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 10:43:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#29]
I'll be putting mine to the test this weekend. Cola Warrior in standing water. I'm not competing with it, but will be moving around at night, filming all the old timers and their analog setups.
View Quote

Between you taking it to CW, and me on a 3 day hunting trip... I'm looking forward to the results.

Wishing your Aurora luck! If it can survive CW, it can survive anything.

By the way, thanks for the tip on the butler Creek blizzard cap (#8 for readers that might have missed it). I feel a lot better having that on, and it's great you can see through the plastic. Doesn't distort the picture at all from what I can tell.
Link Posted: 3/4/2019 8:14:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#30]
Consolidating posts from 3/2 and today:

My helmet was inspired by fortydelta's post here a few pages back https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Sionyx-digital-color-night-vision-camera-legit-alternative-to-a-PVS-14-/18-491313/?page=9#i5072221

Helmet: Lancer Tactical PJ Type. Someday I might upgrade to something a little nicer, but to get started this will work
Adapter: Custom. fortydelta pointed me to a nice gentleman that makes adapters for these. He asked that I not post his information publicly but is happy to work with people directly via email. PM me if you want more info. The adapter shown in his images are from the guy I used
Shoe: Wilcox M-24 shoe. You only need the shoe ($42 shipped). This interfaces between the custom adapter and the Aurora itself. A small amount of filing is needed on the shoe, very minor, takes 10 minutes using any metal file you have

3/4/19
Got the 'adapter' today.  Snapped in place perfectly, both into my mount and the Wilcox.  No fitment issues whatsoever.  Quality product.  Includes movement to accommodate the 'width' of your eyesight.  My ATN mount allows front/back movement to accommodate proper eye relief.

Helmet rig is exciting.  Everything works as expected.  The only issue that's apparent right away; the black, 'ribbed' part of the Aurora (opposite of the dial, shown in first photo) contacts the bridge of my nose when trying to get a complete picture through the viewfinder.  The contact can be offset this by adjusting the helmet to move the Aurora to the right, off my nose.  This cuts off a very small portion of the viewfinder...we're talking a sliver.  I only played with it for about 15 minutes, so perhaps additional adjustments of the helmet, mount, and adapter can correct this.  I can still see 85-95% of the viewfinder after adjustment.  This problem may not affect you, as everyone's face is different.

Not sure I'll get out tonight to play, but maybe tomorrow or Wednesday after the weather warms up

Link Posted: 3/4/2019 9:51:57 PM EDT
[#31]
@joemal

I've given up trying to get the "full" picture when wearing on a helmet. By full, I mean all the info around the image. I can grasp the camera and move it slightly if I need to see the compass, time, or battery. I think it's best to just focus on the image.

FYI - Lions has hinted at an eyecup coming soon. No idea on cost or, more importantly, shipping from overseas.

Also, you should try wearing on your non-dominate eye. It keeps your dominate eye not night blinded, and free to make a white-light sidearm shot. YMMV.
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:33:30 AM EDT
[#32]
@joemal

I've given up trying to get the "full" picture when wearing on a helmet. By full, I mean all the info around the image. I can grasp the camera and move it slightly if I need to see the compass, time, or battery. I think it's best to just focus on the image.

FYI - Lions has hinted at an eyecup coming soon. No idea on cost or, more importantly, shipping from overseas.

Also, you should try wearing on your non-dominate eye. It keeps your dominate eye not night blinded, and free to make a white-light sidearm shot. YMMV.
View Quote
Link to light on your helmet?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:39:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#33]
Here you go. I wish it zoomed via rotating vs pulling/pushing.  It's tight, which isn't a bad thing per say because it won't move around, but helmet mounted it's not easy to adjust one handed. Initially recommended by draver

Amazon Product
  • INVISIBLE IR LIGHT --- FandFire 501IR flashlight is not for General Lighting Purpose, it emits high power invisible 940NM infrared light, IR can't be seen by human eyes, recommend to use night vision monocular and goggles together.(only a small, faint red glow on the LED that shows you that the torch is on)
  • ZOOMABLE --- The flashlight head section can be zoomed in and out to obtain zoomable light, and the zoom is suitable for short distances and field ranges
  • ADVANCED DESIGN --- The fuselage is made of aircraft aluminum alloy, using optical convex lens, enables better focusing in for a condensed spotlight or back out for a flood effect. It has anti-slip and waterproof design, which helps to get a better night in hunting

Link Posted: 3/5/2019 12:42:13 AM EDT
[#34]
It'll fit in a 1" mount?
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 8:30:42 AM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#35]
It'll fit in a 1" mount?
View Quote
Yes I used an old scope ring I had laying around. Helmet came with a piece of pic rail to use

The dimensions are weird ; one part of the body is more narrow while the other is 1.1" according to Amazon.

Excuse the messy bench
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 9:07:42 AM EDT
[#36]
Very cool!

I'm already half-watching the EE now based on your pics..
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 1:39:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: cledford3] [#37]
Given the nose bumping issue - Would it be possible to run duals?

Consolidating posts from 3/2 and today:

My helmet was inspired by fortydelta's post here a few pages back https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Sionyx-digital-color-night-vision-camera-legit-alternative-to-a-PVS-14-/18-491313/?page=9#i5072221

Helmet: Lancer Tactical PJ Type. Someday I might upgrade to something a little nicer, but to get started this will work
Adapter: Custom. fortydelta pointed me to a nice gentleman that makes adapters for these. He asked that I not post his information publicly but is happy to work with people directly via email. PM me if you want more info. The adapter shown in his images are from the guy I used
Shoe: Wilcox M-24 shoe. You only need the shoe ($42 shipped). This interfaces between the custom adapter and the Aurora itself. A small amount of filing is needed on the shoe, very minor, takes 10 minutes using any metal file you have

3/4/19
Got the 'adapter' today.  Snapped in place perfectly, both into my mount and the Wilcox.  No fitment issues whatsoever.  Quality product.  Includes movement to accommodate the 'width' of your eyesight.  My ATN mount allows front/back movement to accommodate proper eye relief.

Helmet rig is exciting.  Everything works as expected.  The only issue that's apparent right away; the black, 'ribbed' part of the Aurora (opposite of the dial, shown in first photo) contacts the bridge of my nose when trying to get a complete picture through the viewfinder.  The contact can be offset this by adjusting the helmet to move the Aurora to the right, off my nose.  This cuts off a very small portion of the viewfinder...we're talking a sliver.  I only played with it for about 15 minutes, so perhaps additional adjustments of the helmet, mount, and adapter can correct this.  I can still see 85-95% of the viewfinder after adjustment.  This problem may not affect you, as everyone's face is different.

Not sure I'll get out tonight to play, but maybe tomorrow or Wednesday after the weather warms up

https://i.imgur.com/gIQe4qV.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/Y05a97V.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/skASnrr.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IUxTnUE.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/LaylTfy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XyqklJy.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/0GVecgY.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/vzSeSI4.jpg
View Quote
Link Posted: 3/5/2019 1:50:29 PM EDT
[#38]
Originally Posted By cledford3:
Given the nose bumping issue - Would it be possible to run duals?
View Quote
Well the part that's bumping me would only impact the one side, at least I think

And again, my head/nose/face is different than yours, so YMMV
Link Posted: 3/8/2019 5:56:02 PM EDT
[#39]

Where I’m at so far, $45 in stuff. Rest in trades.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:19:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#40]
Hunted some last night and was able to really try the Aurora.

Overall first impressions are very positive. I was able to see clearly move around with the Aurora. I didn't feel completely comfortable when walking, but as I get used to it I think that will get better. When stationary, the thing really shines. No issues whatsoever.

It's neat to be able to adjust zoom, color modes and gain on the fly. To really max out my view using flood on the light, I set the gain to full on both color and grayscale modes. When using the green mode, I had to dial the gain back quite a bit.

I captured some video and will upload that once I'm home.

The pictures really don't do it justice but you get the idea. It was a cloudy night with zero moonlight out in the sticks.

The first set of photos are testing the distance capability of my flashlight and Aurora. Included are some at flood, and some at 75% zoom. The camera was set on color night mode and 0.0 gain.

Here's a dock about 50 yards away.  
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

These trees are about 75 yards away
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

The set of pines in this picture are about 120 yards away
Attachment Attached File

Next set of photos capture hunting over a feeder. This morning I trimmed some of the greenery on both sides of the images to help the IR illuminate the area better. Images show the feeder at approximately 50 yards. All color modes, some mix of flood/75% zoom, and an image at full zoom with me aiming my DBAL at the feeder

Link Posted: 3/9/2019 12:51:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Your photos are nice and pretty much match my experience with the Aurora.  Is it safe  to assume the illumination is from the Amazon  Fandyfire light i’ve recommended?  I used it to light some treetops I measured at 225 yards, but I want to do a better review with decent pics soon.  Sometimes the foreground brightness affects the overall exposure and dims what the camera captures in my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:13:57 PM EDT
[Last Edit: R3L04D] [#42]
Your photos are nice and pretty much match my experience with the Aurora.  Is it safe  to assume the illumination is from the Amazon  Fandyfire light i've recommended?  I used it to light some treetops I measured at 225 yards, but I want to do a better review with decent pics soon.  Sometimes the foreground brightness affects the overall exposure and dims what the camera captures in my opinion.
View Quote
Yes fandyfire, helmet mounted. At full zoom it's simply too bright at my hunting distances. Happy with it, thanks for posting it

I agree about the foreground brightness. In person it's very clear and bright, sharp image. I would have zero issues taking an animal. I wish my hunting property had some longer shot options but it is what it is
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 3:56:52 PM EDT
[#43]
I only mentioned this because I've always been astounded when looking for a decent IR field light and finding them listed for hundreds of dollars.  I bought a few off of Amazon and Ebay was quite pleasantly surprised by the quality and function.  They provide a very high level of illumination, especially for the $$$.

I realize they are not "Tier 1", but then neither am I, and I currently have 4 that work fine, and provide decent illumination to the limits of my camera, Gen 3's and vision.  Your pics really bring this out and I hope others aren't put off by the low price.  They work great.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 4:04:37 PM EDT
[#44]
Yep. I don't need to go into battle. I'm not using my helmet to clear my house when I hear a bump. I fart around in the woods and as long as it doesn't break after a use or three I'm a happy camper.

A full battery lasted about 2 hours before I could visibly see the performance of my Aurora deteriorating. Thought my camera was screwing up. Replaced the fandyfire battery and was back in business. I'd be interested to hear how much continued use you've gotten out of your batteries before needing to swap them out
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 5:11:30 PM EDT
[#45]
I'd imagine the battery rating and quality is a factor.  My  protected Panasonic 18650's are 3100mah and have been in use for 4-5 years in various devices, but not really high use, high drain.  None have failed or weakened though out of about 10 or so units.  I would look at Battery Junction for current selection, brands & pricing.

Sounds like your light an camera have the same run down time for batteries.  Did you get the email from SiOnyx about the camera backup battery they approve?  I think any decent Li-ion battery pack would be sufficient, but I don't hunt and my gear only runs for minutes at a time, and frequently without the IR accessory light on.

Battery Junction Link

Orbtronic is another source for batteries, and their quality is also pretty good.
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 6:04:59 PM EDT
[#46]
I have not received any email, I bought mine used but I'll look around. Last night I ran my Aurora off a 6,000 mAh battery bank and it did fine. This trickles power to the battery as it discharges. Between 2 of those banks plus a full battery charge I can get a lot of use out of the camera before needing to charge
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 9:38:56 PM EDT
[#47]
Is there any cheap 940nm Lights that use CR123A batteries?
Link Posted: 3/9/2019 10:25:18 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By Pneumagger:
Is there any cheap 940nm Lights that use CR123A batteries?
View Quote
I haven't seen or heard of any yet.  I suppose it might be because of the voltage difference between 6V of 2 CR123's and 3.7V of 18650's.  I'm not anxious to put the CR123's in one of my lights.  Do you have a supply of the 123's or just no 18650's?

I just learned a little battery trivia researching this.  The nomenclature of the 18650 is based on 18 being the width, and 65 the length in mm.  I never knew that, and you can add that to a very long list of things I never knew.
Link Posted: 3/10/2019 3:08:52 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Millennial] [#49]

I haven't seen or heard of any yet.  I suppose it might be because of the voltage difference between 6V of 2 CR123's and 3.7V of 18650's.  I'm not anxious to put the CR123's in one of my lights.  Do you have a supply of the 123's or just no 18650's?

I just learned a little battery trivia researching this.  The nomenclature of the 18650 is based on 18 being the width, and 65 the length in mm.  I never knew that, and you can add that to a very long list of things I never knew.
View Quote
I have some nice 18650 cells; sanyo, samsung panasonic, etc... (ones I don't have to worry so much about burning my house down when I'm not watching them - lol.  I mostly use them on home built/assembled lasers and other doodads.  I just don't like their self-discharge characteristics and prefer not to rely on them for firearm or emergency items. I much prefer the simplicity of lithium primary batteries because they stay good for years and years.

Another fun fact... the "0" at the end of cell identification denotes a round/cylindrical cell. An coin cells are similar; the first two digits are  max diameter in mm and the last two are max height in tenth-mm (e.g.: 2032 = 20mm dia X 3.2mm high)
Link Posted: 3/17/2019 6:31:30 PM EDT
[#50]
Well I'm all in now, got the aurora showing up Tuesday, and almost all the stuff ordered to set up the helmet like a couple other folks in the thread here, thanks to JoeMal and 40d.  Only thing still hanging out is the adapter piece, waiting on an email reply from the maker and I'll be in business.

As soon as the stuff all shows up I'll do some field trip photos or video from some hog hunting.
Page / 121
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top