User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 4
Link Posted: 6/18/2021 6:26:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RiggerGod:

@pukindog

What's the butt cuff set up? A TacStar screwed to the wood/plastic? I really like it!
View Quote

It is an ATI brand. Same one I had on the plastic stock. I just used wood screws.
Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/18/2021 8:38:52 PM EDT
[#2]
I thought about mounting one like that, it definitely looks better than the cheap elastic cuff I use, but then my little brain says, what if you need to shoot left handed or loan the gun out to a left handed friend?  Yeah, I tend to overthink things.  
Link Posted: 7/3/2021 9:46:17 PM EDT
[#3]
@mic214

That shotgun looks familiar.  I love what you did to it.
Link Posted: 7/4/2021 3:59:06 AM EDT
[#4]
Originally Posted By sharkman6:
@mic214

That shotgun looks familiar.  I love what you did to it.
View Quote

Thanks! It was a lot of fun to work on this project with my gunsmithing buddy. I liked the way it turned out too!
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 8:42:32 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1srelluc] [#5]
Attachment Attached File

I found a 1969 H&R Topper 158 for $40.00 that was rusty and had a cracked forend (common with that model once the forend iron was allowed to get loose) that I had cut-down and a Poly-choke installed on. I fixed the forend and bedded the iron. The barrel with the silver soldered-on poly is 19.75" long. It's 5.5# as pictured.

I did not want just another one-trick pony cut-down SS and the poly was a solid option for me as I don't like screw-in chokes much. When disassembled it fits nicely in a Skinner take-down bag. The strap for the bag doubles as a sling for the shotgun.

Attachment Attached File

It handles shot and buck just fine. I killed a few squirrels with it to see how it would do in the field, I was pleased.

Interestingly the 158 was also offered with a .22 Hornet barrel but they are hard to find and expensive when you do.....The first "handi-rifle" if you will.
Link Posted: 7/16/2021 11:40:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Originally Posted By 1srelluc:

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/cc_001__2__JPG-2015247.JPG

I found a 1969 H&R Topper 158 for $40.00 that was rusty and had a cracked forend (common with that model once the forend iron was allowed to get loose) that I had cut-down and a Poly-choke installed on. I fixed the forend and bedded the iron. The barrel with the silver soldered-on poly is 19.75" long. It's 5.5# as pictured.

I did not want just another one-trick pony cut-down SS and the poly was a solid option for me as I don't like screw-in chokes much. When disassembled it fits nicely in a Skinner take-down bag. The strap for the bag doubles as a sling for the shotgun.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/c_002__2__JPG-2015248.JPG

It handles shot and buck just fine. I killed a few squirrels with it to see how it would do in the field, I was pleased.

Interestingly the 158 was also offered with a .22 Hornet barrel but they are hard to find and expensive when you do.....The first "handi-rifle" if you will.
View Quote

Ooooh, I like! Now I know what to do with my 158 Topper. Mine started life as a .30-30, but I found a 12ga barrel that fit perfectly, so it's now a switch-barrel. Does the Skinner bag have enough room for an extra barrel?
Link Posted: 7/17/2021 8:23:04 AM EDT
[#7]

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/cc_001__2__JPG-2015247.JPG

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/88145/c_002__2__JPG-2015248.JPG

View Quote

That Skinner bag looks great!
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 9:26:08 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1srelluc] [#8]
Originally Posted By PigBat:

Ooooh, I like! Now I know what to do with my 158 Topper. Mine started life as a .30-30, but I found a 12ga barrel that fit perfectly, so it's now a switch-barrel. Does the Skinner bag have enough room for an extra barrel?
View Quote

If you omit the buttstock shell carrier and use the same forend for both barrels I suspect so.

BTW....The bag does not come with a sling/strap, that's something you have to add but there are nylon cord loops already sewn on for the application....You order the bags by length.
Link Posted: 7/19/2021 8:19:29 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 7:40:12 AM EDT
[#10]
Originally Posted By mike_nds:
I've never cared for the looks of a polychoke, but on a single shot would be a worthwhile and practical modification.
View Quote

It really is for me but if you like screw-in chokes there is more than enough "meat" there to have the barrel fitted with choke tubes and you most likely would be money ahead.

A 12 ga poly is going to cost around $50.00 used (I had one on hand) so given what a smith charges to turn-down and thread the barrel for it you could have choke tubes fitted for the same money. If you have tubes on-hand you will be even farther ahead. If you don't have tubes already you can get them for half the price of a poly.
Link Posted: 7/20/2021 12:05:23 PM EDT
[Last Edit: mike_nds] [#11]
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#12]

It really is for me but if you like screw-in chokes there is more than enough "meat" there to have the barrel fitted with choke tubes and you most likely would be money ahead.

A 12 ga poly is going to cost around $50.00 used (I had one on hand) so given what a smith charges to turn-down and thread the barrel for it you could have choke tubes fitted for the same money. If you have tubes on-hand you will be even farther ahead. If you don't have tubes already you can get them for half the price of a poly.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
I've never cared for the looks of a polychoke, but on a single shot would be a worthwhile and practical modification.

My Father thought the Poly-Choke was the greatest shotgun accessory ever devised. He “ruined” the collector value of every factory gun he owned by adding one

Of course, he didn’t “collect” guns, he SHOT them. I still remember the look on his face when I explained to him what made my safe queen,  M1 Garand “correct”.
Link Posted: 8/31/2021 9:45:32 AM EDT
[#13]
The cool thing about a polychoke is adjusting so quickly.

Say you go from thick cover (cylinder) to an open field (mod/full). No tools, just twist.

Not as precise as you might think though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rez-x-B12MU
View Quote

I have found the pattern can change unexpectedly as you cycle through bezel; tight, tighter, looser, then tighter again (as an example). I suspect, on at least one of my guns, it is because the OD threading, bore, petals and constrictor are all not quite perfectly concentric.

I used a scribe to make witness marks for my sweet spots.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 12:24:44 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Dex223] [#14]
Here's another H&R Topper 158, a 1966 model.  It was given to me by one of my wife's co-workers.  It was a wreck when I got it. (badly chopped barrel, rusted receiver, bent stock screw, missing butt plate)  I slowly rebuilt it over many years into a suedo-trench gun.  Bead sight, universal 1-1/4" sling swivels, unfinished wood, and butt plate parts are all from Numrich.  Universal metal heat shield from Cabelas (heavily modified).  Sling and bayonet from gun shows.  Bayonet mount/swivel base custom made by me.  I finished the wood, parkerized the big parts, and cold blued the small ones.  The hand guard snaps on, so it breaks down very quickly.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 12:43:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 1:05:59 PM EDT
[#16]
LOL, Love it!
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 3:31:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I love it.

And the bayonet makes sense on a single shot, for if it ever needs to be pressed into service for defense.
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 4:23:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Originally Posted By Dex223:
Here's another H&R Topper 158, a 1966 model.  It was given to me by one of my wife's co-workers.  It was a wreck when I got it. (badly chopped barrel, rusted receiver, bent stock screw, missing butt plate)  I slowly rebuilt it over many years into a suedo-trench gun.  Bead sight, universal 1-1/4" sling swivels, unfinished wood, and butt plate parts are all from Numrich.  Universal metal heat shield from Cabelas (heavily modified).  Sling and bayonet from gun shows.  Bayonet mount/swivel base custom made by me.  I finished the wood, parkerized the big parts, and cold blued the small ones.  The hand guard snaps on, so it breaks down very quickly.
https://i.imgur.com/VC8vMmC.jpg
View Quote

Very nice!
Details on bayonet mount, please!
Link Posted: 10/1/2021 5:21:39 PM EDT
[#19]

Very nice!
View All Quotes

Very nice!

Link Posted: 10/1/2021 11:16:04 PM EDT
[#20]
View Quote

Nicely done…..
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 1:24:48 PM EDT
[#21]
I picked up something like this recently on a whim.

Winchester red letter Model 37 12ga. Someone cut the barrel down to about 18.75", with a hacksaw, and the metal seems to have been 'refinished' with steel wool.  The good is that it locks up super tight, the bore is shiny and clean, the wood is used but not at all abused and it doesn't show any signs of cracks or repairs. Obviously the recoil pad is not original, but it's not recent either so I think it'll stay as is.  

I don't have much into it, but I haven't thought much about what I'm going to do to it, or with it. I have access to a lathe and a professional cerakote shop.  I plan on truing up the end of the barrel first. I haven't decided if I'll drill and tap it for a bead sight or just leave it smooth? And then I'll probably cerakote it.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/4/2021 3:31:01 PM EDT
[#22]
Originally Posted By MyWar:
I picked up something like this recently on a whim.

Winchester red letter Model 37 12ga. Someone cut the barrel down to about 18.75", with a hacksaw, and the metal seems to have been 'refinished' with steel wool.  The good is that it locks up super tight, the bore is shiny and clean, the wood is used but not at all abused and it doesn't show any signs of cracks or repairs. Obviously the recoil pad is not original, but it's not recent either so I think it'll stay as is.  

I don't have much into it, but I haven't thought much about what I'm going to do to it, or with it. I have access to a lathe and a professional cerakote shop.  I plan on truing up the end of the barrel first. I haven't decided if I'll drill and tap it for a bead sight or just leave it smooth? And then I'll probably cerakote it.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42058/20211004_123955_jpg-2117864.JPG
https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/42058/20211004_122410_jpg-2117873.JPG
View Quote

That actually looks pretty badass man!
Link Posted: 10/5/2021 1:54:41 PM EDT
[#23]

Very nice!
View All Quotes

Very nice!

Thanks to all who commented!

The bayonet mount is roughly a bar shaped piece of steel soldered to the underside of the barrel, with cutouts on the front to mimic the sight base of an AR, and the bottom rear is drilled and tapped for a sling swivel.

The end of the barrel is turned down to the diameter of an AR flash hider.

And, the bayonet grip panels have a cut out for clearance on the heat shield (sorry, no photo for that yet).
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 8:04:10 AM EDT
[#24]
I’m currently on the hunt for a NEF single shot in 10 or 12 for a decent price. All the 12 gauge samples I’ve laid hands on recently have been $200+. No way I’m paying that much. Last NEF I bought was $75 from a pawn shop. I chopped it down to 18.5”, threw a snap on fiber optic front site and a sling. Perfect little critter gun. Have it strapped onto my tractor.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 10:27:17 AM EDT
[#25]
Originally Posted By F150AR15Enthusiast:
I’m currently on the hunt for a NEF single shot in 10 or 12 for a decent price. All the 12 gauge samples I’ve laid hands on recently have been $200+. No way I’m paying that much. Last NEF I bought was $75 from a pawn shop. I chopped it down to 18.5”, threw a snap on fiber optic front site and a sling. Perfect little critter gun. Have it strapped onto my tractor.
View Quote

Those days are long gone unless you just happen to get really lucky.  After NEF quit making them they really jumped in price, especially the rifles and the rifles barrels.  Want to really blow your mind, try to find a .357 or .44 barrel for one of the shotguns.  

The cheapest way to go these days are the Turkish single shots.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 10:40:01 AM EDT
[#26]
Here are a couple of 12 gauge single shots I lucked into for cheap:

First is a "Ward Hercules" that I got for $50 because it was a rusted up mess.  It was made in the 30's according to the serial number. Cut to 20" and front bead installed.
Attachment Attached File

The next one I got was free because the dealer didn't want to bother with it because it did not have a stock and it would not fire. It is pre-68 and devoid of a serial
number. It is a Stevens Model 94.  I was able to get a stock for it from our very own Brownells (Blessed Be Their Name) for about $60,
and a firing pin from Numerich for $15, so I am in this $75. Interesting plastic forend.
Attachment Attached File

Next is getting some chamber adapters for them.  For a frame of reference, about a year ago I was able to pick up a Savage Model 24C (Camper Special). I paid $700 for it
and was glad to find one (serial number places it in 1975 about the time I bought my first one), so getting these fairly cheaply was fun.

Link Posted: 11/2/2021 11:06:25 AM EDT
[#27]
If you get the rifle or pistol adapters get the longest that will work for your application and get the rifled version, the smoothbore isn't worth bothering with.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 11:53:31 AM EDT
[#28]
Thanks for the info.  I bought a smoothbore 9mm adapter for the Savage 24C and found that after a few feet accuracy was nothing to write home about.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:07:31 PM EDT
[Last Edit: sandboxmedic] [#29]
Originally Posted By oldsgm:
Thanks for the info.  I bought a smoothbore 9mm adapter for the Savage 24C and found that after a few feet accuracy was nothing to write home about.
View Quote

Yeah, it's advice born of similar experience with a smoothbore .38 adapter- waste of money.  

Thinking about it, I honestly have no idea where the thing is right now.  I think I fired maybe a dozen rounds through it.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 12:37:46 PM EDT
[#30]
Attachment Attached File
NEF 12 ga. Barrel chopped to 19.something inches, semi pistol grill stock made straight. ATI plastic shell holder and fiber optic front sight. Its muddy since it's my 4 wheeling gun.
Link Posted: 11/2/2021 3:25:37 PM EDT
[#31]
Originally Posted By dump1567:

Yep.  16 Gauge has some wallop to it.  I also have a 16G Win 12 I chopped down.

https://i.imgur.com/7CLxNFB.jpg
View Quote

Need to see the damaged barrel that justified the chop. It’s been my experience that only a mentally handicapped person would chop a perfectly good Model 12. Save the chopping for some mossberg peasant pump.
Link Posted: 11/30/2021 11:23:59 PM EDT
[#32]
Has anyone here had any luck in making a replacement trigger guard for a single-shot shotgun?  I have a single-shot Stevens 16 gauge, and the plastic trigger guard disintegrated when I disassembled the gun  I ordered a steel "replacement" from Numrich, but it didn't fit.  My MAP torch won't get it hot enough to bend/hammer into shape.  I don't have much in the line of metalworking capabilities, and I'm not going to spend the cash to have something machined.
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 11:18:12 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Boosted98gsx] [#33]
Sorry to thread necromancer here, but figured I'd share my NEF 10ga single shot that I had modified into "Thumper" (IV8888 reference).

Turned down to 18 5/8" to keep the aye tree eff off my porch, but now I want to add a red dot site to it since I lost the bead (and because I have a diabolical .780 round ball load for it, and I want to be able to know where that thing goes). Anyone ever soldered / screwed a pic rail on one of these? Side wall of the main pipe is 0.200" thick, plenty of meat.

Also, this is a 3.5" shell length shotty, but I'm getting primer blowouts on winchester BBB 3.5 goose loads.

Often times the shotgun breaks open when fired. How to fix?
Link Posted: 7/5/2022 2:30:24 PM EDT
[#34]
Since the other thread got archived- short video, the fun part starts about 1:40.  With a bit of practice you can can keep up a decent rate of fire as long as you have ammo on hand.  Protip- when using something like the H&R either cock your head or the gun to the side, they eject the shells with enough force to sting when they clock you in the forehead (the shells are bouncing off the brim of his hat in the video).  

Link Posted: 7/16/2022 11:57:35 AM EDT
[#35]
I also have a Winchester Mod 37 20ga but I'm not cutting it down as it is still in great shape. I'm going to get a rifled .357/.38 adapter for it so my wife can keep it in her office.
Link Posted: 7/27/2022 10:10:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: Fordtough25] [#36]
Originally Posted By Thrack:
I also have a Winchester Mod 37 20ga but I'm not cutting it down as it is still in great shape. I'm going to get a rifled .357/.38 adapter for it so my wife can keep it in her office.
View Quote

Just test it well, my 357 adapter is actually pretty accurate out to 20-25 yards, minute of soup can anyways.
Link Posted: 8/19/2022 2:37:52 PM EDT
[#37]
Originally Posted By Boosted98gsx:
Sorry to thread necromancer here, but figured I'd share my NEF 10ga single shot that I had modified into "Thumper" (IV8888 reference).

https://i.imgur.com/akvbnEr.jpg

Turned down to 18 5/8" to keep the aye tree eff off my porch, but now I want to add a red dot site to it since I lost the bead (and because I have a diabolical .780 round ball load for it, and I want to be able to know where that thing goes). Anyone ever soldered / screwed a pic rail on one of these? Side wall of the main pipe is 0.200" thick, plenty of meat.

Also, this is a 3.5" shell length shotty, but I'm getting primer blowouts on winchester BBB 3.5 goose loads.

Often times the shotgun breaks open when fired. How to fix?
View Quote

Look for a Weaver scope base.  This one is for a Topper 158, but may fit your gun.  If not, there should be one for your specific model.
Weaver 60A scope base.
Link Posted: 9/14/2022 6:51:41 PM EDT
[#38]
I'll add to this thread with a more primitive version. I bought this "Canoe Gun" (really just a short version of the Northwest Trade Gun) at Dixon's Muzzleloading Shop last weekend. It's a 20 gauge percussion smoothbore. It was built by Jackie Brown. As a southpaw I could not pass it up.

Attachment Attached File

I made a sling for it from a cowhide shoulder I had.

Attachment Attached File

Some measurements I took:
  • Overall length 40"
  • Barrel: 24.5"
  • Length of pull 13.5"
  • Weight 6.5 lbs.
  • Width of buttplate 2"

The barrel has a slight flare at the muzzle end. It may be slightly coned on the inside. The front and only sight is a trade gun-style turtle. It has a large Siler lock and the nipple is sized for No.11 caps. A .580" ball will drop freely down a clean barrel all the way to the breech.

I got a chance to shoot itthe next day over at a friend's place. He has some land and we can shoot safely in his yard. Unfortunately it was raining and the only place I could load while under overhead cover was his patio. I'd then step out to shoot and some tin cans we placed on a hillside.

My load of 1 oz. of #5 shot on top of 65 grains of Scheutzen 3Fg black powder penetrated both side of a #10 can from about 20 yards, so it's got enough power for hunting.

I also tried a couple varieties of ball loads. I shot a half dozen .570 balls loaded in paper cartridges on top of 65 grains of powder. I also tried a few shots with .575 balls loaded on top of a tow wad, with another tow wad over the ball to hold it in place. The balls loads shot high with how I was holding the gun.

I absolutely need to put both shot and ball loads on paper.

Everything went mostly well until the gun fell over onto the brick patio, landing on the hammer which was set to half cock. That broke the half cock notch on the tumbler. (Insert vast amounts of profanity here.)

When I was done I used tow wrapped around a worm to scrub the bore. This was the first time I've tried using tow for cleaning and it works pretty well, much like a bore brush. I'll be using it at least for my smoothbores in the future. This is what tow looks like when wrapped around the worm. There's no reason you can't use it in a modern shotgun. It can even be washed and reused. Once it's worn out you can use it as tinder. You can make the equivalent by cutting a 4" to 6" length of hemp, sisal, or jute rope and unraveling it.

Attachment Attached File

The primitive worm I use is just a coil of wire that winds onto the end of my ramrod. It works like a Chinese finger trap and doesn't easily come off.

Attachment Attached File

After getting home I ordered a replacement tumbler from Track of the Wolf and I paid extra for 2 day delivery. My order arrived today and I repaired the lock after work. It took about a half hour with some needle files to fit the new tumbler to the hammer. I also cleaned up the side of the tumbler that rubs against the lock plate, using a stone. The hammer now clicks solidly into both the half and full cock notches.

I may be going upstate next weekend and if so I should be able to pattern shot loads and figure out how to hold it when shooting ball.

For a long term/TEOTWAWKI survival gun a muzzleloader has some advantages, IMO:

• No paperwork in most states.
  • You can make your own black powder and projectiles.
  • You can shoot birdshot, buckshot, ball, or buck and ball in it. In extremis you can shoot rocks or sticks.
  • It can use modern plastic shot cups for better shot patterns, or traditional materials for wads like felt, tow (flax or hemp fiber), or wasp's nest.
  • You can make percussion caps if you have the correct tool, thin sheet aluminum, copper, or brass, and the chemicals which are freely available now.
  • If it's a flintlock, each flint should be good for at least 30 shots and it's possible to make your own if you live in the right area and know how to do it. (For me, making caps is actually easier.)
  • If the gun is constructed like mine with a nipple and drum, the gun can easily be converted to a flintlock by replacing the drum with a vent liner and the lock with a large Siler flint lock.
Of course it's nowhere near as good as even a single shot breech loader for defense but it still beats a sharp stick or harsh language.

Link Posted: 9/14/2022 8:19:05 PM EDT
[#39]
Great piece.  As a fellow southpaw I have some, not inconsequential, feelings of envy.

Link Posted: 9/22/2022 9:27:47 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Makarov] [#40]
Originally Posted By aswrg7:
Has anyone here had any luck in making a replacement trigger guard for a single-shot shotgun?  I have a single-shot Stevens 16 gauge, and the plastic trigger guard disintegrated when I disassembled the gun  I ordered a steel "replacement" from Numrich, but it didn't fit.  My MAP torch won't get it hot enough to bend/hammer into shape.  I don't have much in the line of metalworking capabilities, and I'm not going to spend the cash to have something machined.
View Quote

@aswrg7

I have a Stevens 9473 with the plastic trigger guard that had the button to open the action integrated into it. Mine also one day just disintegrated as I opened the action.

What I did was simply remove the rest of the trigger guard, plug the screw holes (for looks) and remove the plastic “button” covering the open-action lever and just use it without any of the plastic. Normally I would consider a missing trigger guard to be a safety issue but with the exposed hammer, it’s perfectly safe to carry with the hammer down and cock it when I am ready to shoot.

Not sure if you have the same problem but maybe my solution helps you too.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 8:10:34 AM EDT
[#41]
Originally Posted By Makarov:

@aswrg7

I have a Stevens 9473 with the plastic trigger guard that had the button to open the action integrated into it. Mine also one day just disintegrated as I opened the action.

What I did was simply remove the rest of the trigger guard, plug the screw holes (for looks) and remove the plastic “button” covering the open-action lever and just use it without any of the plastic. Normally I would consider a missing trigger guard to be a safety issue but with the exposed hammer, it’s perfectly safe to carry with the hammer down and cock it when I am ready to shoot.

Not sure if you have the same problem but maybe my solution helps you too.
View Quote

That isn't a bad idea; maybe I'll do that and get the gun back out in the field.
Link Posted: 9/23/2022 9:22:03 AM EDT
[#42]
I still love my single shot, handy in so many ways!!
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 2:50:26 PM EDT
[#43]
Here is my $80 version.  I have a few of these single shot guns in rifle calibers and shotgun.  Picked this up from a friend and decided to shorten it.

18.5 inch barrel and OAL of 34 inches.  It makes a great beat around the farm gun.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/2/2023 3:31:00 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By USCG_CPO:
Here is my $80 version.  I have a few of these single shot guns in rifle calibers and shotgun.  Picked this up from a friend and decided to shorten it.

18.5 inch barrel and OAL of 34 inches.  It makes a great beat around the farm gun.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/249630/shotgun_jpg-2658070.JPG
View Quote

Very nice! I need to dust mine off and shoot it this year, very handy indeed.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 10:23:13 AM EDT
[Last Edit: mechanicuss] [#45]
Originally Posted By Dave_Markowitz:
I'll add to this thread with a more primitive version...
View Quote

For that matter a single barrel break action shotgun makes an excellent muzzleloader. Several youtube vids on the subject. Just cut the plastic hull off of a high brass shell, and re-prime. Pop it in and muzzle-load with black powder and appropriate shot/bb's.

You can also just cut the crimp off the end and load a shell with black powder and bb's, sealing with beeswax.

Agree, shtf weapon par-excellence. Along with home made black powder for subsistence hunting in the future.
Link Posted: 2/13/2023 5:39:28 PM EDT
[#46]
This seems like the appropriate thread to ask about the clip/clamp on front sights. I have a 12g NEF single I'm thinking about cutting down around 19" and I will lose the front bead

Is there a specific brand or attachment style that you guys would recommend? I am open to DIY alternatives aswell.

Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 8:26:04 AM EDT
[#47]
Originally Posted By TrailerTrash556:
This seems like the appropriate thread to ask about the clip/clamp on front sights. I have a 12g NEF single I'm thinking about cutting down around 19" and I will lose the front bead

Is there a specific brand or attachment style that you guys would recommend? I am open to DIY alternatives aswell.

Thanks in advance
View Quote

There are several kits out there that come with a tap/new bead. Just have to measure 3 times and drill straight but easy after that and like new!

Shotgun bead kit brownelled
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 12:40:14 PM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By TrailerTrash556:

Thanks in advance
View Quote

Honestly, unless you just want it for short distances, I'd send it off to be chopped, crowned and threaded for choke tubes.  Mine was near worthless until I had it threaded; I keep an improved tube in it and it works well for shooting things from the tractor seat or rabbit hunting which are two of the main reasons I have it.  That said, depending on which type of front sight you buy, some of them index off the bead, some epoxy onto the bead or you silver solder or epoxy the sight on.  There are some styles that use a band/clamp style but I've never messed with any of them.
Link Posted: 2/14/2023 6:53:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:

There are several kits out there that come with a tap/new bead. Just have to measure 3 times and drill straight but easy after that and like new!

View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Fordtough25:

I like this I will definitely keep it in mind. Thanks

Originally Posted By sandboxmedic:

Honestly, unless you just want it for short distances, I'd send it off to be chopped, crowned and threaded for choke tubes.  Mine was near worthless until I had it threaded; I keep an improved tube in it and it works well for shooting things from the tractor seat or rabbit hunting which are two of the main reasons I have it.  That said, depending on which type of front sight you buy, some of them index off the bead, some epoxy onto the bead or you silver solder or epoxy the sight on.  There are some styles that use a band/clamp style but I've never messed with any of them.

I had considered making this a more capable shotgun but it simply isn't worth the cost of having the work done when I have a decent pump gun to fill that role. This thing is a beater with a bad finish. I hadn't planned to do anything with it at all until I was inspired by this thread. Thanks for the reply
Link Posted: 7/4/2023 6:59:42 PM EDT
[#50]
very nice shotgun.I  just acquired a Stoegar coach gun double in 12ga.
Page / 4
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top