Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 4/3/2020 12:54:08 PM EDT
Kit here for $499 in aluminum. Comfortably equipped is more like $700.

Additional pistol (aluminum) cups are $41, rifle (stainless) cups are $59.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 12:58:06 PM EDT
[#1]
The email blast broke the website earlier!  

They look good and even offer a nice drill fixture.   I stopped at them being aluminum though.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:08:52 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The email blast broke the website earlier!  

They look good and even offer a nice drill fixture.   I stopped at them being aluminum though.
View Quote

I was in for one until I saw that.  If you look at the individual cups, they come in steel.  I wonder if it's a typo?
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:14:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

I was in for one until I saw that.  If you look at the individual cups, they come in steel.  I wonder if it's a typo?
View Quote

It's not. They offer the Al ones for $41/ea and the SS are $59/ea
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

View Quote

I guess I meant in the actual rifle kit.  Makes no sense really.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:42:25 PM EDT
[#5]
I'm going to cry when the rifle kit comes out, my 11" modular can is costing me way too much.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:52:55 PM EDT
[#6]
Selling that together with drill jigs and "Form 1 service" won't last long...…

There is a fine line between a "solvent trap" and a "silencer kit"....
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 1:55:51 PM EDT
[#7]
JR Machine has a similar product available in Titanium
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Selling that together with drill jigs and "Form 1 service" won't last long...…

There is a fine line between a "solvent trap" and a "silencer kit"....
View Quote

This is nothing new, save for the "service". Companies have been selling traps and jigs for quite a while now. The "service" just seems like them filing the eform, for you. Not seeing how any of this would be shut down, but the ATF has made crazier decisions.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 2:20:49 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

View Quote

Those kits in 7075 are best for sub-guns or maybe 300 Blackout subsonic.  On most other centerfire cartridges I’d want the first two or three baffles in steel.  

If people don’t clip those they’ll likely be disappointed.  Being that it’s Silencershop they’ll probably sell a bunch.  Lots of folks may find that thread-up design frustrating if they fiddle with it too much.

These won’t save much money but the impatient and under-resourced will likely jump all over them.

My biggest concern with lowering barriers to entry and democratization is getting the bureaucrats panties tight and unwanted attention for tighter controls or longer stamp delays.
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 3:36:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

LOL great prices. What a steal.

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 3:55:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Those kits in 7075 are best for sub-guns or maybe 300 Blackout subsonic.  On most other centerfire cartridges I’d want the first two or three baffles in steel.  

If people don’t clip those they’ll likely be disappointed. Being that it’s Silencershop they’ll probably sell a bunch.  Lots of folks may find that thread-up design frustrating if they fiddle with it too much.

These won’t save much money but the impatient and under-resourced will likely jump all over them.

My biggest concern with lowering barriers to entry and democratization is getting the bureaucrats panties tight and unwanted attention for tighter controls or longer stamp delays.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If people don’t clip those they’ll likely be disappointed. Being that it’s Silencershop they’ll probably sell a bunch.  Lots of folks may find that thread-up design frustrating if they fiddle with it too much.

If someone doesn't know what clipping is, and they've bought one of these for Form 1 use, I bet their actual reaction will be "I built a silencer in my garage, look at this shit! The gun now goes 'bang!' instead of BANG!!"

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 3:56:37 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
JR Machine has a similar product available in Titanium
View Quote

@born2lose76
That's not exactly an easy name to search for, could you provide a link?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 5:05:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

@born2lose76

Kharn
View Quote

jrmachinepro

Link Posted: 4/3/2020 5:36:55 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

@born2lose76

Kharn

jrmachinepro

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0317/3217/0811/products/[email protected]?v=1584326818

Too bad he doesn't offer 1.375-24.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/3/2020 11:51:35 PM EDT
[#15]

Sell a jig and I am in.

Disappointed in the silencershop - aluminium suppressor for a rifle?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:08:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

@born2lose76

Kharn

jrmachinepro

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0317/3217/0811/products/[email protected]?v=1584326818

Yessir, that’s the one.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:10:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Sell a jig and I am in.

View Quote

I purchased last night, but would love to have a jig for this
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 9:53:36 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sell a jig and I am in.

Are you doing them on a press? By hand might be tough, but you can secure in a vise and you shouldn't have much trouble staying, or getting back, on center using a press. Just take your time and just go up 3 bit sizes or so per run.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:40:47 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted: Just take your time and just go up 3 bit sizes or so per run.
View Quote

This is an incorrect usage of drill bits. This results in the bit's outside cutting edge dulling, near the margin.
The correct way is to start w/ a center drill and finish to size.

As I stated in the other thread "For reference, I can punch a 3/8" hole, w/ a HSS bit, through 1/2" 316L PL, doing ~150rpm, w/ a single drop of oil, in under a minute. And, no, the bit isn't ruined, afterwards.
A 1/16" thick piece of Ti shouldn't be giving that much trouble. "
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:22:35 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

This is an incorrect usage of drill bits. This results in the bit's outside cutting edge dulling, near the margin.

As I stated in the other thread "For reference, I can punch a 3/8" hole, w/ a HSS bit, through 1/2" 316L PL, doing ~150rpm, w/ a single drop of oil, in under a minute. And, no, the bit isn't ruined, afterwards.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted: Just take your time and just go up 3 bit sizes or so per run.

Good to know, thanks. My results have been fine but it does take a while to change through all the bits.

I don't think my press goes anywhere close to as slow as 150 rpms though.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 4:08:12 PM EDT
[#21]
Very intrigued by these. On the clipping argument. Is it very necessary on a 9mm sub gun?
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:08:10 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Very intrigued by these. On the clipping argument. Is it very necessary on a 9mm sub gun?
View Quote

Yes, you need to clip.
Go ahead and give it a try, w/o.
Then, you have something to compare it to
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Good to know, thanks. My results have been fine but it does take a while to change through all the bits.

View Quote

This is where a step drill comes in handy. It is reasonably stiff on the small starter hole and if you start centered it stays centered.  You can center with two spotters or with light pressure manually spin the chuck counter clockwise and let the work piece float into center. Then a little cutting fluid and steady pressure at your slowest speed and you can get good results. Then clip the thickest part of the tip to reduce average hole runout (this assumes part was turned concentric at tip referenced to rim/skirt).
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 6:53:34 PM EDT
[#24]
$35 form submittal.
$100 drill jig.
$500 materials.
$88 mount.
$39 endcap.
$58 endcap jig.
$25 wench.

Your aluminum can eroding quickly... priceless.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:25:47 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
$35 form submittal.
$100 drill jig.
$500 materials.
$25 wench.

View Quote

I am confused by this. They also list steel threaded cups for sale separately. Is the rifle can really Aluminium? Crazy if so.

Anyway.. if that's the case, pass.

I wonder though..  are the other company's cups listed on this page threaded the same? Would the drill jigs work on them?

Link Posted: 4/4/2020 7:58:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
$35 form submittal.
$100 drill jig.
$500 materials.
$25 wench.

View Quote

These kits are certainly not a bargain, and could easily be used inappropriately.  Thus they are marketed towards the impatient and the under-resourced.  I wonder what sort of instructions/advice they come with?

We may be at that awkward stage where the wisdom of the crowd is about to meet the bell curve at the left tail.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:22:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

This is where a step drill comes in handy. It is reasonably stiff on the small starter hole and if you start centered it stays centered.  You can center with two spotters or with light pressure manually spin the chuck counter clockwise and let the work piece float into center. Then a little cutting fluid and steady pressure at your slowest speed and you can get good results. Then clip the thickest part of the tip to reduce average hole runout (this assumes part was turned concentric at tip referenced to rim/skirt).
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank youmI used...tried to use...one of those on my first foray. In retrospect I think I tried to go too slowly and burned it up a little bit. Maybe i should try another one.

I'm doing more on lathe now and less on the press though, seem to have found my stride mostly.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:42:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

These kits are certainly not a bargain, and could easily be used inappropriately.  Thus they are marketed towards the impatient and the under-resourced.  I wonder what sort of instructions/advice they come with?

We may be at that awkward stage where the wisdom of the crowd is about to meet the bell curve at the left tail.
View Quote

Oh, wait! That $500 doesn’t include the mount?! ... Or endcap?!

The fuuuuuuck?!
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 8:52:28 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I am confused by this. They also list steel threaded cups for sale separately. Is the rifle can really Aluminium? Crazy if so.

I wonder though..  are the other company's cups listed on this page threaded the same? Would the drill jigs work on them?

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
$35 form submittal.
$100 drill jig.
$500 materials.
$25 wench.

From the link- Build Materials: 7075 Billet Aluminum

The stainless cups are the “HD” and are not included in the kit. FYI... They are $60 each. Quite possibly the most expensive cup/ divider I’ve ever seen.

Build list above plus three stainless cups for blast chambers before the aluminum comes to... $1,025.00 plus tax and shipping.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 10:41:20 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Thank youmI used...tried to use...one of those on my first foray. In retrospect I think I tried to go too slowly and burned it up a little bit. Maybe i should try another one.

I'm doing more on lathe now and less on the press though, seem to have found my stride mostly.
View Quote

You can get step drills in more durable cobalt hardened high speed steel for about twice the price.  But even normal HSS can drill titanium with proper feeds and speeds. If you burned one up your RPM was probably too high. Cutting fluid helps also.  I tried using step drills on a lathe to start hogging out a cone for a flash hider.  It seemed like it would be easier than a boring bar.  Not such a good idea. They don’t work too well for deep drilling but are great for holes in thin walls.
Link Posted: 4/4/2020 11:37:33 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

The fuuuuuuck?!
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The fuuuuuuck?!

$499 includes an endcap and a threaded 1/2-28 or 5/8-24 mount, you have the option to buy an extra of each on the configuration screen.

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/5/2020 10:48:17 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

You can get step drills in more durable cobalt hardened high speed steel for about twice the price.  But even normal HSS can drill titanium with proper feeds and speeds. If you burned one up your RPM was probably too high. Cutting fluid helps also.  I tried using step drills on a lathe to start hogging out a cone for a flash hider.  It seemed like it would be easier than a boring bar.  Not such a good idea. They don't work too well for deep drilling but are great for holes in thin walls.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You can get step drills in more durable cobalt hardened high speed steel for about twice the price.  But even normal HSS can drill titanium with proper feeds and speeds. If you burned one up your RPM was probably too high. Cutting fluid helps also.  I tried using step drills on a lathe to start hogging out a cone for a flash hider.  It seemed like it would be easier than a boring bar.  Not such a good idea. They don't work too well for deep drilling but are great for holes in thin walls.
I think that was exactly it - speed was too high. Lately I've been doing a small starting hole on the lathe then hit with the boring bar.
Link Posted: 4/6/2020 3:24:49 PM EDT
[#33]
Disregard, I found the answer
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 1:15:17 AM EDT
[#34]
After I first saw the picture on SS's site of their drilling jig, I thought "damn, should have thought of that...".  I had initially thought it screwed onto the tip of the cone, similar to how my jigs fit over the tip.  Then I found a picture of how they intend the drilling jig to be used and I now know they did it wrong.

I will be offering drilling jigs for their cones, with end-user removable drill bushings allowing multiple caliber choices, that screw onto the tip of the cone, as well as a cone holder to grip the base of the cone while drilling and clipping.

I will also be offering the same for JR's cones.

Renderings tomorrow.

"Patent Pending"

ETA:  Best way to get ahold of me in on the https://form1suppressor.boards.net/forum
Link Posted: 4/9/2020 7:48:17 AM EDT
[#35]
JK drill jig so we can see what is going on.

I think they were going for idiot proof? Are there flats inside to grab the wrench flats on the cone?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 7:04:16 AM EDT
[#36]
This thread has likely save me from serious a$$ pain. I was intrigued by these solvent trap solutions for their secondary purpose. That said, I fall into the cheap and inpatient crowd. Family life can do that to a man.

These seem perfect for a pistol though, for a guy like me. There’s no information, I’ve seen, on suppression quality, ie db reduction. Unless my Irish ADD missed reading that part on the product description? So how do we determine quality?

Either way, at the functional rifle price, I’d rather buy a Gemtech GP5 for the savings and health concerns cited above with aluminum suppressors.

Did I miss anything?
Link Posted: 4/13/2020 11:53:00 AM EDT
[#37]
You didn’t miss anything. To run on a pistol add a $110 steel booster housing (if you can find one in stock anywhere) and a $70 piston for your muzzle threading.  That’s probably 2-3 more ounces net weight gain.  A commercial pistol suppressor can be had for less, and be lighter, easier to maintain, and have warranty support.

As sold it’s fine for a PCC or subgun.  But for high volume shooting all of those threaded connections could be problematic over time.  I think it would be an interesting addition to a collection, but as a first suppressor many will find it to be a bad fit.

If Maglite had their act together they’d sell Maglite themed liquor flasks with 5/8-24 threaded plugs for the opening, filler funnel or shot cup sets, and metering pour spout caps.  Collect the entire set!
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 4:53:28 PM EDT
[#38]
Forgive me if this has already been done better with other products or if my understanding of the law is incorrect, but isn’t a (potentially) major advantage with this type of tubeless suppressor that, when filing your form 1, you can list an excessively long length and drill out more cups than you ever intend on using at once so that you can swap out ones that may get damaged/worn out since you can’t replace cups on your own with a standard suppressor?
Link Posted: 4/22/2020 6:57:34 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Forgive me if this has already been done better with other products or if my understanding of the law is incorrect, but isn’t a (potentially) major advantage with this type of tubeless suppressor that, when filing your form 1, you can list an excessively long length and drill out more cups than you ever intend on using at once so that you can swap out ones that may get damaged/worn out since you can’t replace cups on your own with a standard suppressor?
View Quote

As long as you never reached the listed length, couldn't you continue making extensions, and also destroying damaged components that are beyond their serviceable life, except the serial numbered component?

Kharn
Link Posted: 4/24/2020 3:18:55 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

As long as you never reached the listed length, couldn't you continue making extensions, and also destroying damaged components that are beyond their serviceable life, except the serial numbered component?

Kharn
View Quote

Would the ATF would frown on you drilling out 100 cups if you listed the can as 24” on your form 1 and each cup was (random number for ease of discussion) 1” thick since that’s more cups that you could assemble into the design they approved?
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:08:56 PM EDT
[#41]
This is what happens when you run 5.56 through it. Less than 8 mags. Unknown barrel length or ammo.

*not mine. Pic from owner on FB.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:24:19 PM EDT
[#42]
Originally Posted By CLICKBANGBANG:
This is what happens when you run 5.56 through it. Less than 8 mags. Unknown barrel length or ammo. 

*not mine. Pic from owner on FB. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/158348/1F0BB18A-4BCF-4D0B-8C12-59E52C9A138C_jpe-1398332.JPG
View Quote

Saying "Rifle" for cones and "pistol" for radials when both are made out of aluminum is a bit of a misnomer. At least he can buy a bunch of replacement parts and have an SOT fix it for him.
And it certainly shows the need for a blast baffle.

Kharn
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:29:25 PM EDT
[#43]
Yeah....aluminum baffles are a no-go for rifle cans, save for carry-a-lot-shoot-very-little hunting featherweights.  Even at that, they need the first couple to be a tougher material.  My Phantom 8 is a Ti tube, Ti mount & Ti front cap.  It has 7 anodized 7075-T651 baffles, but the first two are 17-4 H900.  They're pretty thin to keep weight down, but still way tougher than Al.  My initial prototypes only had one 17-4 blast baffle, and I still saw a lot of erosion on the second baffle (even with an integral Ti muzzle brake), so a change was made.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:31:14 PM EDT
[#44]
Originally Posted By Kharn:

Saying "Rifle" for cones and "pistol" for radials when both are made out of aluminum is a bit of a misnomer. At least he can buy a bunch of replacement parts and have an SOT fix it for him. 
And it certainly shows the need for a blast baffle. 

Kharn
View All Quotes
This is what happens when you run 5.56 through it. Less than 8 mags. Unknown barrel length or ammo. 

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/158348/1F0BB18A-4BCF-4D0B-8C12-59E52C9A138C_jpe-1398332.JPG

Saying "Rifle" for cones and "pistol" for radials when both are made out of aluminum is a bit of a misnomer. At least he can buy a bunch of replacement parts and have an SOT fix it for him. 

Kharn

I don’t think a couple of steel blast baffles would have saved it. They all eroded. Aluminum doesn’t belong on high pressure rounds. Just my observation here. I have a keen eye for the obviously broke.  

But you’re right... off to a sot it goes. They’ll at least salvage the stamp cost.

Maybe he was just using the 5.56 to drill out the cones to shoot .338 though it.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:42:03 PM EDT
[#45]

I don’t think a couple of steel blast baffles would have saved it. They all eroded. Aluminum doesn’t belong on high pressure rounds. Just my observation here. I have a keen eye for the obviously broke.  

View Quote

Pressure isn't the problem.  It's heat and abrasion.  Once you get aluminum over 350°F, the strength drops very rapidly.  When the substrate becomes soft, the protective anodizing cracks & chips off, exposing the soft substrate, which is then flame cut and blasted by debris like you see above.  That's why my Phantom 8 is rated for 2 rds/min max sustained with .308/.30-06 class rounds and 1 round/min with magnums or anything else burning 60+ gr charges.

I've seen good life out of it on my .25-06, and my sister and her spouse have them for their 6.5 creed and .280 rem, no issues.  But again, it's a case of a 3-shot sight in group or three before the season and then hopefully get to take a shot or two at critters, no real volume.   It wouldn't fare much better than the baffles in the photos if someone went to town with it on an AR.
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 10:57:06 PM EDT
[#46]
Originally Posted By Sixtysixdeuce:

Pressure isn't the problem.  It's heat and abrasion.  Once you get aluminum over 350°F, the strength drops very rapidly.  When the substrate becomes soft, the protective anodizing cracks & chips off, exposing the soft substrate, which is then flame cut and blasted by debris like you see above.  That's why my Phantom 8 is rated for 2 rds/min max sustained with .308/.30-06 class rounds and 1 round/min with magnums or anything else burning 60+ gr charges.

I've seen good life out of it on my .25-06, and my sister and her spouse have them for their 6.5 creed and .280 rem, no issues.  But again, it's a case of a 3-shot sight in group or three before the season and then hopefully get to take a shot or two at critters, no real volume.   It wouldn't fare much better than the baffles in the photos if someone went to town with it on an AR.
View All Quotes
Originally Posted By Sixtysixdeuce:

I don’t think a couple of steel blast baffles would have saved it. They all eroded. Aluminum doesn’t belong on high pressure rounds. Just my observation here. I have a keen eye for the obviously broke.  

Pressure isn't the problem.  It's heat and abrasion.  Once you get aluminum over 350°F, the strength drops very rapidly.  When the substrate becomes soft, the protective anodizing cracks & chips off, exposing the soft substrate, which is then flame cut and blasted by debris like you see above.  That's why my Phantom 8 is rated for 2 rds/min max sustained with .308/.30-06 class rounds and 1 round/min with magnums or anything else burning 60+ gr charges.

I've seen good life out of it on my .25-06, and my sister and her spouse have them for their 6.5 creed and .280 rem, no issues.  But again, it's a case of a 3-shot sight in group or three before the season and then hopefully get to take a shot or two at critters, no real volume.   It wouldn't fare much better than the baffles in the photos if someone went to town with it on an AR.

You explained it much better. Thanks.

I should have said aluminum doesn’t belong on my high pressure round cans. I probably couldn’t be that gentle.

BTW, I’m going to send you something this week. You’ll know it’s from me when you get it...
Link Posted: 5/2/2020 11:08:41 PM EDT
[#47]
Self-clipping baffles.  Looks like a marketable feature.

“Our dynamic flame-cut baffle design produces unique, random, turbulence inducing features, and leverages the benefits of a self-cleaning alloy with less weight gain than old-technology fixed bore designs”.  “So complex that Oak Ridge National Labs super computers haven’t even attempted to model the ever changing computational fluid dynamics. “  

I’d package it with free X-ray glasses so the user can experience the thrill without getting their fingers dirty.

Sorry, the pictures of those baffle volcano rims just cracks me up.  

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 12:28:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Originally Posted By KalmanPhilter:
 “Our dynamic flame-cut baffle design produces unique, random, turbulence inducing features, and leverages the benefits of a self-cleaning alloy with less weight gain than old-technology fixed bore designs”.  “So complex that Oak Ridge National Labs super computers haven’t even attempted to model the ever changing computational fluid dynamics. “   
View Quote

This almost cost me a new keyboard.

Link Posted: 5/3/2020 8:27:31 AM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 5/3/2020 2:23:10 PM EDT
[#50]

But you’re right... off to a sot it goes. They’ll at least salvage the stamp cost. 

Maybe he was just using the 5.56 to drill out the cones to shoot .338 though it.
View All Quotes

Kharn

But you’re right... off to a sot it goes. They’ll at least salvage the stamp cost. 

Maybe he was just using the 5.56 to drill out the cones to shoot .338 though it.

The debris from the first baffle blowing into the second, third, etc, didn't help matters, it sand-blasted them.
Hopefully the owner waits for the steel version to be released before he has it rebuilt.

Kharn
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top