Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2021 5:16:10 PM EDT
What is the distance with one of this without any ir light?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
That would probably vary depending on ambient light conditions. A full moon is very different than no moon at all.
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 9:51:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
That would probably vary depending on ambient light conditions. A full moon is very different than no moon at all.
View Quote

Yes. So what would just an average night ( minus UFOs) be? I mean the average night is like 1/2 moon?

I tried looking online but got nothing.

100 yards? 150?
Link Posted: 5/7/2021 11:14:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Yes. So what would just an average night ( minus UFOs) be? I mean the average night is like 1/2 moon?

100 yards? 150?
View Quote

Based on YouTube videos I've seen and personal experience on other digitals, half moon is going to be like 30-35 yds. And noisy. If going digital, accept it for what it is and send some ir light downrange.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:02:17 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
View Quote

Because it really varies. Looking at something standing under trees at 50 yards when its cloudy, vs looking down the middle of my street at 50 yards with street lights and porch lights on under a clear sky is totally different.
Basically if you can see the object with your naked eye at night you probably will not need IR, if its is pitch black and you cant see anything at all you will need some IR light.
I usually have my IR light on when I am shooting hogs. I am pretty sure most videos you see on youtube will be using IR, you can notice the shadows on the edges of animals and on tall grass at the bottom of the screen, also the video will not penetrate into the treeline or brush when the hogs run off.
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:17:09 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Because it really varies. Looking at something standing under trees at 50 yards when its cloudy, vs looking down the middle of my street at 50 yards with street lights and porch lights on under a clear sky is totally different.
Basically if you can see the object with your naked eye at night you probably will not need IR, if its is pitch black and you cant see anything at all you will need some IR light.
I usually have my IR light on when I am shooting hogs. I am pretty sure most videos you see on youtube will be using IR, you can notice the shadows on the edges of animals and on tall grass at the bottom of the screen, also the video will not penetrate into the treeline or brush when the hogs run off.
View Quote

Thanks.

I'm guessing if you use the IR it'll look like a beacon to anyone using gen 3 night vision?
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 12:28:51 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Thanks.

I'm guessing if you use the IR it'll look like a beacon to anyone using gen 3 night vision?
View Quote

It will look like a flashlight to anyone with night vision, not just gen 3
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 1:44:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

It will look like a flashlight to anyone with night vision, not just gen 3
View Quote

yep
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 1:38:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Thanks.

View Quote

The only video game I ever really played was Counterstrike.  I am picturing you as an airsofter who wants to camp with his AWP and snipe homies.  Good times.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 7:59:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The only video game I ever really played was Counterstrike.  I am picturing you as an airsofter who wants to camp with his AWP and snipe homies.  Good times.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks.

Digital can see out of band from most Gen3, so you could go with something with really long wavelength.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:10:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Digital can see out of band from most Gen3, so you could go with something with really long wavelength.
View Quote

The problem is, there is nothing consumer viable, above 940nm. Does Sightmark even list their wavelength ceiling?
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:24:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Photonis has a laser above 1000nm that can't be seen with gen3. Not sure if they have an illuminator too.
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 8:32:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/10/2021 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

With high power only to even see it. That caveat is never marketed either.
View Quote

Im not sure how well it shows up as I don't have first hand experience with it. But photonsis made it for a reason and I have specifically seen a photonis executive tell dealers to demo that capability to potential buyers. So maybe its the dealers that are lacking in passing on the info. But I'd love to try it out and see it demonstrated with photonis and gen3 NODs side by side.

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 12:01:43 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Photonis has a laser above 1000nm that can't be seen with gen3. Not sure if they have an illuminator too.
View Quote

Yeah the MAWL-CLAD is 1064. No illuminator, apparently.

MAWL-CLAD

Link Posted: 5/11/2021 7:27:48 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Yeah the MAWL-CLAD is 1064. No illuminator, apparently.

MAWL-CLAD

https://i.imgur.com/mMaKsjc.jpg
View Quote

Sweet! Thanks for the info. Thats the kind-of real info we need. Not industry shit talking...
Link Posted: 5/11/2021 10:00:58 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Thanks.

View Quote

Where in TX are you located?  I have two Wraiths, I2 night vision, and thermal.  I’m in the Houston area if you wanted to see the Wraith or anything before you buy.  For what they are … I think they’re the best bang for the buck in digital night vision out there.  I have a 4x32 and a 2x16 Wraith.  The 2x16 is my favorite with the wider FOV.  Again, if you’re close to Houston - you’re welcome to see them.  Good luck!

*Edited to answer your original question.  

Max detection range without the IR light?

As others have said.  It depends.  In total darkness without IR light … you’ll NOTHING except “noise”.  With a half moon … maybe 40-50 yards with no IR light.  If you do buy one of these, you’re going to have to use it with some type of IR Illumination.  The stock IR Light that comes with these is fine for out to ~125 to ~ 150 yards.  Anything further and you will want to get a more powerful illuminator.  I use mine with the “stock” illuminator to shoot hogs out to ~150 yards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top