Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/16/2024 5:36:53 PM EDT
[Last Edit: Jerad]
Anyone know why SIG didn’t do a dual set up like the SPEAR?

I much prefer the side charger on my Heavy, it’s almost mandatory. I assume the NGSW contract required a side charger or it was just left over from the CASS but why not keep the controls on the LT 100% the same?
VP
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:40:24 PM EDT
[#1]
Because the Spear contract required it. The Spear-LT had no such contract.

Why bother re-tasking forging or extrusions to produce a side charging handle, in addition to the T, unless you HAVE to?
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 5:48:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Originally Posted By Jerad:
Anyone know why SIG didn’t do a dual set up like the SPEAR?

I much prefer the side charger on my Heavy, it’s almost mandatory. I assume the NGSW contract required a side charger or it was just left over from the CASS but why not keep the controls on the LT 100% the same?
View Quote

Contract requirement.
Link Posted: 1/16/2024 8:12:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The original LVAW contract required the T-charging handle and standard AR lower compatibility.

I don't know if we can say for certain that none of the following contracts had the same requirements without having seen the actual documents.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 1:04:55 AM EDT
[#4]
Because they didn’t have to do it like they did on the big spear.  It’s a stupid idea to have both charging systems on the same gun IMHO, but I guess the military wanted it.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 9:14:24 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By willi3d:
Because they didn’t have to do it like they did on the big spear.  It’s a stupid idea to have both charging systems on the same gun IMHO, but I guess the military wanted it.
View Quote

Well that’s like your opinion man :) it’s a bitch to operate that T handle prone.

I guess I’m looking at it this way, if the SPEAR gained adoption, why not make all your platforms the same. In my opinion the streamlined manual of arms would only make for a stronger adoption argument for future contracts.
Link Posted: 1/17/2024 3:44:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By Jerad:

Well that’s like your opinion man :) it’s a bitch to operate that T handle prone.

I guess I’m looking at it this way, if the SPEAR gained adoption, why not make all your platforms the same. In my opinion the streamlined manual of arms would only make for a stronger adoption argument for future contracts.
View Quote

To be clear, I have nothing against side charging and would prefer it, personally.  I just think it’s a waste to have both.  If I had a side charger, I’d simply never use the T handle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top