Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2020 1:01:23 PM EDT
I recently converted my Sig Rattler Canebrake to 5.56 and changed to the 5.56 Rattler handguard. I took it out to shoot this weekend and it's probably my favorite gun, especially among my PCCs, ARs, and bullpups.  Accurate for its purpose, barely any kick or recoil, but it definitely has a lot of concussion and blast.  It's heavy too.  300 BLK was just like this as well, but it's more expensive to shoot.  The group consensus with my friends and family were that it was also their favorite.

I can't quite put my finger on why I love it so much.  Anyone else share this sentiment?
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 3:05:44 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I recently converted my Sig Rattler Canebrake to 5.56 and changed to the 5.56 Rattler handguard. I took it out to shoot this weekend and it's probably my favorite gun, especially among my PCCs, ARs, and bullpups.  Accurate for its purpose, barely any kick or recoil, but it definitely has a lot of concussion and blast.  It's heavy too.  300 BLK was just like this as well, but it's more expensive to shoot.  The group consensus with my friends and family were that it was also their favorite.

I can't quite put my finger on why I love it so much.  Anyone else share this sentiment?
View Quote

I have one in 300BLK and my good friend has one in 5.56. I enjoy shooting mine, it lives in my car go bag. i absolutely HATE being around his when he shoots it, shooting it is not horrible but being nearby is terrible. I wish Wolf steel 300 BLK came in before coronaraceriotmurderhornetslivesmatter though.
Link Posted: 6/8/2020 10:00:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes - Cool but perhaps the shortest 5.56 on the market = loud blast but definitely cheaper than 300
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 12:51:33 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Yes - Cool but perhaps the shortest 5.56 on the market = loud blast but definitely cheaper than 300
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I would probably buy a 5.56 upper for my rattler if I didn't already have an MPX with a case of MPX mags. I can train super short rifle even cheaper than 5.56. though the ergonomics are slightly different. but with all the same handguard attachments in place, don't really notice it too much.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 5:32:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I like how angry people are about a 5 inch barrel 5.56.

I love mine, best impulse purchase I made this year. I did modify a bcm mod 0 because the pdw grip sucks though.
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 6:20:46 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I like how angry people are about a 5 inch barrel 5.56.

I love mine, best impulse purchase I made this year. I did modify a bcm mod 0 because the pdw grip sucks though.
https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/408139/20200523_173501_jpg-1469563.JPG
View Quote

I don't mind the grip because I have small hands  it does take a little tog et used to.

Check out Taccoms Recoil Cushion, it lightens coil a bit.
Link Posted: 6/20/2020 9:27:26 PM EDT
[#6]
I like the size, but it's heavy and lacks effective ballistics. Great little "Get the FUCK off me!" gun, though.

I still want something like a 8" 5.56 barrel with its own suppressor... That'd be tits.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 8:29:06 AM EDT
[#7]
@coregon

Any information you can provide on the new SLX and SLH suppressors? Occurs to me Sig might’ve stress tested them on the 5.56 Rattler.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:37:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
@coregon

Any information you can provide on the new SLX and SLH suppressors? Occurs to me Sig might’ve stress tested them on the 5.56 Rattler.
View Quote

The mil version of the 556 Rattler has threads to accept a can, but the commercial version doesn't.  

Link Posted: 8/24/2020 6:56:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

The mil version of the 556 Rattler has threads to accept a can, but the commercial version doesn't.  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
@coregon

Huh, interesting. Does Sig provide a specific suppressor for the Mil Rattler?
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 9:09:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I like guns that are on the extreme ends of the spectrum in general. I went with the Rattler in 300BLK and while I’m kinda lukewarm on the cartridge it’s definitely a choice I’d make again. .223 just sacrifices too much going that small, but it makes sense for military logistics where 5.56 may be what’s available. But more importantly, not every gun purchase has to ‘make sense’ and buying something because it’s badass is more than enough reason to pick something up.
Link Posted: 8/24/2020 10:25:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
@coregon

It comes with a 762 flash hider, so they can use one of the SRD 30cal cans they already have and they didnt have to source another can in 556.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 8:43:48 AM EDT
[#12]
I have tried a 5.56 rattler and like it, Its like being in the middle of firework grand finally - lots of concussion and flash.

I don't think any can would hold up well to that kind of blast torching too well.  Definitely cheaper and easier to get ammo in quantity for plinking and putting on a show.  

Does anyone have a pic of the flash/flame cloud coming out of it?  I'd swear my arms got some slight burn from it :)

Link Posted: 8/25/2020 10:20:18 AM EDT
[#13]
I wonder if anyone has ever thought of using a pistol powder of the correct size to accommodate the short barrel of the Rattler 556 like Sig has done with the 300BO?  It might make less concussion and the use of a suppressor possible.
Link Posted: 8/25/2020 7:47:00 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I wonder if anyone has ever thought of using a pistol powder of the correct size to accommodate the short barrel of the Rattler 556 like Sig has done with the 300BO?  It might make less concussion and the use of a suppressor possible.
View Quote

Kinda defeats the purpose of running 5.56; 855A1 is pretty nasty out of that 5" barrel, even at the ~2K FPS it's chugging along at.

The sound, flash and concussion can be mitigated with proper suppressor design and mindset; on something like a Rattler, a suppressor is an optional consumable, not a fixed set piece. The weapon rides without a can until being actively used, in which case, a suppressor gets slapped on if there's time to do so. Not really a civilian niche, where suppressors are stupidly regulated and highly valued.

I'm liking the design of the new SLH/SLX cans, though I can't find much information on them.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 7:32:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Kinda defeats the purpose of running 5.56; 855A1 is pretty nasty out of that 5" barrel, even at the ~2K FPS it's chugging along at.

The sound, flash and concussion can be mitigated with proper suppressor design and mindset; on something like a Rattler, a suppressor is an optional consumable, not a fixed set piece. The weapon rides without a can until being actively used, in which case, a suppressor gets slapped on if there's time to do so. Not really a civilian niche, where suppressors are stupidly regulated and highly valued.

I'm liking the design of the new SLH/SLX cans, though I can't find much information on them.
View Quote

Great point.  That makes a lot of sense - a can is just another consumable tool/accessory - not a precious item.  If it gets burned out prematurely who cares.  
In truth its a safety accessory/consumable - What if the government told you your brake rotors on your car were registered and taxed and took a year to get approval to replace?  One would probably drive more cautiously and slower, etc.  We tend to manage things a bit differently because it is a precious resource to us civilians.
Link Posted: 8/26/2020 10:31:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Great point.  That makes a lot of sense - a can is just another consumable tool/accessory - not a precious item.  If it gets burned out prematurely who cares.  
In truth its a safety accessory/consumable - What if the government told you your brake rotors on your car were registered and taxed and took a year to get approval to replace?  One would probably drive more cautiously and slower, etc.  We tend to manage things a bit differently because it is a precious resource to us civilians.
View Quote

An even better example would be if the Government told everyone that the Muffler on their vehicles had to be registered & needed a tax stamp to own.
Link Posted: 8/29/2020 7:50:02 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I didn't quite understand your comment until I read a couple of reviews that stated the flash suppressor is pinned....arghhh. So, there is no "easy" way to put a can on the 5.56 Rattler?
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:17:51 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I didn't quite understand your comment until I read a couple of reviews that stated the flash suppressor is pinned....arghhh. So, there is no "easy" way to put a can on the 5.56 Rattler?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's more than pinned - the flash hider is built into the gas block.  So, putting a can on a 556 Rattler (Commercial version) is, virtually, impossible.
Link Posted: 8/30/2020 9:21:04 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

It's more than pinned - the flash hider is built into the gas block.  So, putting a can on a 556 Rattler (Commercial version) is, virtually, impossible.
View Quote

That's dumb.
Link Posted: 8/31/2020 9:44:19 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

Arghh.... Oh well....
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 12:44:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That's dumb.
View Quote

Thats one of the many reasons the answer has always been 6.75" virtus in 300 blk. Along with not being able to use any other barrel in a rattler. Not being compatible with most virtus parts. Ect.

Also with 223 out of a sub 10" barrel. Meh.

It's an issue, and one of the reasons 300 blk was so successful. I mean it can be expensive but it can also be amazing. Shooting 110s at 2k and super quiet 200+ grain at 1k fps. It's really not for everybody. I would definitely discourage anyone that doesn't reload from really taking it serious.

It's not about how expensive the ammo is. Its about how quiet and consistent you can make 300blk. I had no idea before I started reloading but shooting Factory subsonic vs certain handloads sounds like night and day.

Its because they make most if not all factory subs with gassy powders like 1680 or cfe blk. Even vvn120 is loud compared to n110/h110. Tuned right you can get it to burn itself out before reaching the end of the barrel.  I'll tell you. Night and day.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 2:46:25 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

View Quote

So....when will the military 556 rattler barrels be available for civilian sales?
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 7:58:00 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

So....when will the military 556 rattler barrels be available for civilian sales?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They won’t be - not because we hate the commercial market, but because 5.5” 556 erosion and destruction of a can is measured in 100’s of rounds, not 1000’s.
Link Posted: 9/1/2020 8:10:14 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

They won’t be - not because we hate the commercial market, but because 5.5” 556 erosion and destruction of a can is measured in 100’s of rounds, not 1000’s.
View Quote

I hear ya.... but.... I'd rather have a choice and have the option to accept those risks.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 9:26:07 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I hear ya.... but.... I'd rather have a choice and have the option to accept those risks.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yeah, I understand.  Unfortunately, it's not as easy as that.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 5:51:18 PM EDT
[#26]
What if the 5.56 Rattler uppers/kits provided to certain groups in the military are primarily for training aids for the ones that actually get used, like 300Blk, and not used as a serious solution on deployment. Interesting thought.
Link Posted: 9/2/2020 7:34:48 PM EDT
[#27]
@TinyCrumb
Quoted:
What if the 5.56 Rattler uppers/kits provided to certain groups in the military are primarily for training aids for the ones that actually get used, like 300Blk, and not used as a serious solution on deployment. Interesting thought.
View Quote

That's exactly what they are used for.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top