Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/5/2019 4:31:31 PM EDT
A few years ago I loaned my Sig 556 to Hickok45.  He did an interesting video with it , but , since then the rifle has not seen much action.  Is there anyone out there that has really used this rifle heavily ?  If so has the rifle performed without malfunctions?  The few times I have fired this it has operated flawlessly.
Link Posted: 6/3/2018 11:26:23 PM EDT
[#1]

Oh, and Sig 556's have quite the fan base, I've yet to shoot mine.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 12:00:39 AM EDT
[#2]
its funny that you put this thread in the AR piston section considering its essentially an AK, with that being said,

in Typical Sig fashion, the 556 was released with some Quality Control issues and cheap Chinese furniture. the rifle was revised a number of times, each time missing the mark of what interested people in the platform.

I have a 12.5 SBR that i really don't shoot anymore because the platform is not supported by Sig or the aftermarket,  once the barrel is shot out, its essentially a paperweight.  In light of all that, it has been an incredibly reliable weapon that i completely trust
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 12:37:35 AM EDT
[#3]
There's no reasonable way to use one hard now.  No parts, and no support, just a specimen that I shoot once in awhile.
Link Posted: 6/4/2018 10:46:17 AM EDT
[#4]
I have one of the early 556's ( series number below 6K) withe all Swiss internals and barrel. Barrel was finished in the US. Never had a single problem with it. Probably put 500 or so rounds thru it. I could never get decent 5 shot groups whether using FGMM or various hand loalds. Best groups ran ~ 2.5moa. With the same ammo my other AR's all shot ~ 1 moa some better. Still have it but haven't shot it in many years.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 4:21:41 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I could never get decent 5 shot groups whether using FGMM or various hand loalds. Best groups ran ~ 2.5moa.
View Quote
That was my experience as well, I don't use it for groups any more.
Link Posted: 6/5/2018 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#6]
If you have a 556 you're kinda okay, as parts can be had from Swiss Arms (formerly SAN). There are some compatibility differences in the handguards (depending on which 556 you have). Barrels are threaded differently on the breech end, however gunsmithing can overcome the trunion interface, but it's going to be expensive (and so are parts from Swiss Arms). At least there can be parts.

For the 556XI, you're screwed with all of the proprietary parts.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#7]
I love my Sig 551a1 and shoot it regularly.  About 2K rounds through it.  It’s been totally reliable as well.  One of the coolest assault rifles around.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 12:55:21 PM EDT
[#8]
My friend and I have sig 556 SBR and shoot the piss out of them. I have 10k rounds under her more or less and his must have almost the same. I would also say around 3k have been suppressed ( gas blow back sucks )
Couple things, the Troy rail is one piece and should never be used. The system likes to move freely and I snapped the back lug holding the rail to reciver this summer. Troy took no responsibility but Sig took it back and hooked me up so much ( gave me full 516 decked out and my rifle back. ) i Now have many 516 uppers as I trust sig Warrenty and think the 516 are most under valued uppers out.
Second issue is the rifle will shoot anything but if it gets super hot don’t shoot wolf they like to stick from expanding

So to say the least I love my 556.
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 1:05:19 PM EDT
[#9]
http://i68.tinypic.com/10zzn29.jpg
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 4:03:12 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Nice!
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:38:51 PM EDT
[#11]
At the time of this writing Sig has their 2nd Gen 7.5" complete piston uppers for $499 - normal price $1155. They had 10" and 14.5" uppers too but are sold out as of this time. Not sure how much longer they're on sale.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig516-gen-2-upper-complete-receiver-assembly-7-5-in-semi-special-config.html
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:15:20 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the 556 and 556r Classic models. So far, neither has had any malfunctions with any type of ammo.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 9:25:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
At the time of this writing Sig has their 2nd Gen 7.5" complete piston uppers for $499 - normal price $1155. They had 10" and 14.5" uppers too but are sold out as of this time. Not sure how much longer they're on sale.

https://www.sigsauer.com/store/sig516-gen-2-upper-complete-receiver-assembly-7-5-in-semi-special-config.html
View Quote
That’s the way my luck runs. I bought a 516 7.5 upper for my SBR a few years ago for $900.00. Now they go on sale. I feel cheated now. Mine didn’t come with BUIS. Anywho, that upper has been very reliable. It’s always an attention getter with the loud boom and fireball at the muzzle.
Link Posted: 1/23/2019 10:15:34 AM EDT
[#14]

My old 556 Classic is running good however to make it look close to what it should have been, I spent quite a bit of $ in Swiss stock and MFI front/rear sight/rail set.  No issues with functions, just appearance.  Accuracy wise, it is acceptable at 2 moa using plain factory cheap FMJs.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top