Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/29/2019 12:04:46 PM EDT
I'll be picking up a 556 Swat with quad rail this weekend and am curious what it takes to swap over to the plastic classic hand guard. From what I've read online I'll need a small top rail for the receiver and the plastic guard set.

Is there anything further that'll be required to complete this swap? Any insight as to where I can find the plastic hand guards online? They seem rather elusive..

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 12:21:48 PM EDT
[#1]
no change over is needed other than the plastic forend.

I swapped my 556 classic over to a 556 SWAT a few years ago... still have the plastic handguards somewhere..

ETA, you're right.. I forgot that the SWAT rail replaces the smaller 1913 rail on top of the Classic.  I believe I have that too..
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 12:25:12 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

I swapped my 556 classic over to a 556 SWAT a few years ago... still have the plastic handguards somewhere..
View Quote
Let me know if you find them, I would be interested in purchasing. Also, the quad rail appears to use a one-piece top rail. When you converted to the quad rail did it also use the full length top rail?
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 1:15:06 PM EDT
[#3]
My Classic Swat has the separate top rail and hand-guard quad rail.  I just exchanged the plastic quad rail hand-guard for the quad rail.plastic handguard.  There are some short rail sections that can go on the side or bottom of the plastic hand-guard IIRC.

Paladin

eta: my classic swat was s/n 0385xx.  has the adjustable side folding stock.

eta: corrected syntax error.
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 6:10:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
My Classic Swat has the separate top rail and hand-guard quad rail.  I just exchanged the plastic quad rail hand-guard for the quad rail.plastic handguard.  There are some short rail sections that can go on the side or bottom of the plastic hand-guard IIRC.

Paladin

eta: my classic swat was s/n 0385xx.  has the adjustable side folding stock.

eta: corrected syntax error.
View Quote
You lucked out. I've been able to locate the polymer hand guards for a reasonable price. No luck on the short OE rear rail. Just some with built-on adjustable sights. These guns are a bit of a pain to get parts for, yeah?
Link Posted: 3/29/2019 11:31:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

You lucked out. I've been able to locate the polymer hand guards for a reasonable price. No luck on the short OE rear rail. Just some with built-on adjustable sights. These guns are a bit of a pain to get parts for, yeah?
View Quote
If, after you've bought your handgards, you could share that source, I'd be very appreciative.

I have a factory 556 SBR (SWAT handguard) waiting to transfer and I have been looking for plastic "classic" handguards for a few months.

As for spares, generally, they don't come up often and are expensive. Gatewood Supply is a good source Gatewood Supply (link, click me!) and I have been buying excellent HK parts from him for many years (so trust is high), but even his parts supply is sparse and pricey.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 11:36:40 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

If, after you've bought your handgards, you could share that source, I'd be very appreciative.

I have a factory 556 SBR (SWAT handguard) waiting to transfer and I have been looking for plastic "classic" handguards for a few months.

As for spares, generally, they don't come up often and are expensive. Gatewood Supply is a good source Gatewood Supply (link, click me!) and I have been buying excellent HK parts from him for many years (so trust is high), but even his parts supply is sparse and pricey.
View Quote
I actually found the hand guards on gatewoodsupply
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 11:59:13 AM EDT
[#7]
I put a Samson rail on my 556 SBR and it's been great.
Link Posted: 3/30/2019 10:09:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Let me know if you find them, I would be interested in purchasing. Also, the quad rail appears to use a one-piece top rail. When you converted to the quad rail did it also use the full length top rail?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'd love to see pics of what y'all are talking about.

I have factory SWAT and 'plastic' handguards and the same top rail works with both.  There is a metal pin connecting the SWAT to the top rail on the receiver.

I realize some aftermarket aluminum/railed handguards have a full-length top rail.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 12:05:54 PM EDT
[#9]
If you want to go with the classic diopter look, I highly recommend the sets from Mike Frost at https://mfiap.com/c-254810-rifle-accessories-sig-556-551-a1-552-522.html.

He spent a lot of effort replicating the rear diopter integrated with the rail. I swapped Sig’s factory crap on my 556R for his sights.  It’s what Sig should have done on the 556 series from the start.
Link Posted: 3/31/2019 10:47:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If you want to go with the classic diopter look, I highly recommend the sets from Mike Frost at https://mfiap.com/c-254810-rifle-accessories-sig-556-551-a1-552-522.html.

He spent a lot of effort replicating the rear diopter integrated with the rail. I swapped Sig’s factory crap on my 556R for his sights.  It’s what Sig should have done on the 556 series from the start.
View Quote
+1.

I updated mine a few years ago with MFI's rear diopter sight/rail set and it is solid.
Link Posted: 4/9/2019 11:55:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Jeez I totally overlooked that. Thanks for the link!
Link Posted: 4/23/2019 7:55:15 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a 556 swat sbr but I’ve not shot it yet and hope it has no issues. I would like to use a different grip and like to change the safety. The safety is to short to reach and there is a aftermarket one or was. But don’t want to take a chance and buy it and it’s not correct. I’m a lefty on top of it all lol. Does everyone run good so far?
Link Posted: 4/25/2019 9:46:01 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I have a 556 swat sbr but I’ve not shot it yet and hope it has no issues. I would like to use a different grip and like to change the safety. The safety is to short to reach and there is a aftermarket one or was. But don’t want to take a chance and buy it and it’s not correct. I’m a lefty on top of it all lol. Does everyone run good so far?
View Quote
Hogue pistol grip is a vast improvement over the factory SAW grip. I would kill for an MLOK handguard for the Classic and/or the Patrol... wish Troy or MI would update their designs.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#14]
I put a Magpul MIAD grip on my SIG rifle..
Modified it using techniques explained HERE:

Sig Sauer 556 w/ magpul miad grip

I kept the safety, but I DID modify that FAKE first stage plunger to be an overtravel stop, taking the rifle to a single stage trigger with no takeup..

the trigger now doesn't have a perceivable stop before releasing the hammer.  it's soft/constant pull then   with no perceivable reset.. total travel is about 3/16"
Link Posted: 5/20/2019 9:24:54 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I put a Magpul MIAD grip on my SIG rifle..
Modified it using techniques explained HERE:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3kKQHOCjQs

I kept the safety, but I DID modify that FAKE first stage plunger to be an overtravel stop, taking the rifle to a single stage trigger with no takeup..

the trigger now doesn't have a perceivable stop before releasing the hammer.  it's soft/constant pull then   with no perceivable reset.. total travel is about 3/16"
View Quote
Link to trigger fix?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top