Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/5/2018 6:57:20 PM EDT
I’m currently rocking two ar500armor lvl 4 ceramics at 7.5 pounds a piece. Manageable but annoying. Especially if for double the price I can shed half the weight.

What’s the opinion on these plates guys?  At 4.4 pounds a pop and $399 a pop I’m tempted. Not cheap but given the weight and protection I’d say it’s very worth it IF....IF these perform like they claim.

Anyone have experience with them?

Rma lightweight plates
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:05:47 PM EDT
[#1]
They're 4.4lbs because the 10x12 plates give 8x10 ballistic coverage.

Just find some sapi plates. My carrier and plates weight 12lbs
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:15:47 PM EDT
[#2]
There's only 8x10 inches of ceramic coverage, which is BS. The plate itself is 10x12, so you're not getting level IV protection over the whole plate. RMA is damn near a joke. Their stuff is cheap and that's its one and only saving grace. Would not buy.

Essentially they shaved weight off the plate by reducing the size of the ceramic strike face. If you are ok with III+ instead of level IV, the TenCate 2000SA is a great plate. Multicurve, about 5 pounds per plate, and stops every common threat in the U.S. Costs the same as RMAs plate you linked.
Link Posted: 5/5/2018 8:22:26 PM EDT
[#3]
I like SKD's carbine plate. Stops the common threats and its just over 4lb.

Coverage is too limited on that RMA plate for my taste.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:38:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Ahhhhh, ok. So they cheap out and it isn’t full coverage. Wow, what a joke.

Pass on these. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:38:35 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I think that’s my new plan. Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 10:08:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
@03RN

What's your loadout?!?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 12:07:49 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
@03RN

What's your loadout?!?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

@03RN

What's your loadout?!?
Pretty sure he's talking about his Beez Combat slick carrier (I have the same one), so it's literally just carrier and plates. There's no mags or anything on it, it doesn't have MOLLE.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 2:29:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Pretty sure he's talking about his Beez Combat slick carrier (I have the same one), so it's literally just carrier and plates. There's no mags or anything on it, it doesn't have MOLLE.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

@03RN

What's your loadout?!?
Correct
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 3:18:00 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
There's only 8x10 inches of ceramic coverage, which is BS. The plate itself is 10x12, so you're not getting level IV protection over the whole plate. RMA is damn near a joke. Their stuff is cheap and that's its one and only saving grace. Would not buy.

Essentially they shaved weight off the plate by reducing the size of the ceramic strike face. If you are ok with III+ instead of level IV, the TenCate 2000SA is a great plate. Multicurve, about 5 pounds per plate, and stops every common threat in the U.S. Costs the same as RMAs plate you linked.
View Quote
Yep about 8x10 coverage. What you'd see with all the fancy swimmer cut up steel plates. It was designed for some gov't contract bid that they won with it.  I've been told they are working on a full 10x12 coverage model, not sure where they are with that.  I've tested a few different manufacturer plates, and the RMA plates certainly are no joke. Armour Wear plates, those were a joke (none of the PE backing was properly laminated together). Granted RMA's 1155 plate is only single curve, It is NIJ certified (10yrs), hard to call that a joke :D I personally wouldn't buy the 1199 though.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:19:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Does Highcom have lvl4 plates that are lightweight?

trying to get away from my AR500 8lb plates. Looking around 5-6lbs each (price doesn't really matter)

would like some lvl4 lightweight options guys
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:53:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yep about 8x10 coverage. What you'd see with all the fancy swimmer cut up steel plates. It was designed for some gov't contract bid that they won with it.  I've been told they are working on a full 10x12 coverage model, not sure where they are with that.  I've tested a few different manufacturer plates, and the RMA plates certainly are no joke. Armour Wear plates, those were a joke (none of the PE backing was properly laminated together). Granted RMA's 1155 plate is only single curve, It is NIJ certified (10yrs), hard to call that a joke :D I personally wouldn't buy the 1199 though.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

RMA likes to strut around their self proclaimed "king of armor" title when everything they make is in ONE size, 10x12, everything is single curve only, all their rifle plates are an inch or more thick (sans their lightweight level IV plate), they offer one single cut style, and they do not make the lightest plates on the market. Everything they do is done better by someone else for the same price or very close to it. In some cases, it's done cheaper than RMA does it and with a superior product.

The HighCom 4SAS7 is level IV and weighs 7.2 pounds for a multicurve shooters cut 10x12 plate. RMA's closest equivalent, the 1189, is only a couple ounces lighter at 6.9 pounds and is single curve only. The 1189 costs $300 dollars, the 4SAS7 in 10x12 shooters cut multicurve is $180. RMA's 1155 is cheaper at $135 when not on sale but is still single curve only, 10x12 only, shooters cut only, and weighs a full pound more than the 4SAS7 at 8.3 pounds.

I stand by my statement.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 4:58:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Does Highcom have lvl4 plates that are lightweight?

trying to get away from my AR500 8lb plates. Looking around 5-6lbs each (price doesn't really matter)

would like some lvl4 lightweight options guys
View Quote
HighComs 4S17 is 6.2 pounds for a 10x12 multicurve shooters cut. It's also NIJ certified. They're $680 per plate though, but with the AR15.COM 20% discount code it brings the cost down to $1086 for a set of 2, or $543 per plate. BulletProofMe also sells some lightweight level IV plates, I'd browse around on their site.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:04:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

HighComs 4S17 is 6.2 pounds for a 10x12 multicurve shooters cut. It's also NIJ certified. They're $680 per plate though, but with the AR15.COM 20% discount code it brings the cost down to $1086 for a set of 2, or $543 per plate. BulletProofMe also sells some lightweight level IV plates, I'd browse around on their site.
View Quote
I think I've asked before, but who is the manufacturer of SKD's carbine plate. IIRC you said it would stop M855A1. Not bad for a 4.2lb plate.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:27:52 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I think I've asked before, but who is the manufacturer of SKD's carbine plate. IIRC you said it would stop M855A1. Not bad for a 4.2lb plate.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

If a plate has a ceramic strike face it will stop M855A1. SKD says they're stopping 7.62x39 Armor Piercing Incendiary with their carbine plate.

I have absolutely no clue who makes it. The cut looks very similar to HighComs swimmers cut but I don't think they're the manufacturer. Could be TenCate too, looks kinda like their shooters cut.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:38:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
Quoted:

If a plate has a ceramic strike face it will stop M855A1. SKD says they're stopping 7.62x39 Armor Piercing Incendiary with their carbine plate.

I have absolutely no clue who makes it. The cut looks very similar to HighComs swimmers cut but I don't think they're the manufacturer. Could be TenCate too, looks kinda like their shooters cut.
View Quote
I too would like to know, 4.2lbs sounds awesome.

is there any reviews on these plates?
on these plates it says it can only take 3 rounds of m193/m855 is that good or bad for this type of plate?
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 5:45:04 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

on these plates it says it can only take 3 rounds of m193/m855 is that good or bad for this type of plate?
View Quote
It is a tencate 6400 single curve shooters cut. They are the OEM for those velocity plates everyone likes so much. They are not a NIJ level III plate, they save weight and thickness by giving up the ability to stop more than just a few hits.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:22:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote
It's what I would consider to be acceptable. Nothing is a free lunch and they offer great weight reduction with good coverage and a decent price.
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:26:41 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

It is a tencate 6400 single curve shooters cut. They are the OEM for those velocity plates everyone likes so much. They are not a NIJ level III plate, they save weight and thickness by giving up the ability to stop more than just a few hits.
View Quote
Is it this plate from velocity?
https://www.velsyst.com/7-62x39-api-bz-multi-hit-stand-alone-rifle-plate-529.html
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 6:35:10 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
It's what I would consider to be acceptable. Nothing is a free lunch and they offer great weight reduction with good coverage and a decent price.
View Quote
Ok I guess I'll stick with something from Highcom

I checked out Bulletproofme and there lightweight plates are a lot more the Highcom
Link Posted: 5/6/2018 7:33:34 PM EDT
[#20]
Hesco 3610 are good plates
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:42:18 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Attachment Attached File

Large SAPIs in the carrier are just under 12lbs
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 9:48:10 AM EDT
[#22]
View Quote
I love this carrier as well. Granted my only experience with it is workouts (running, pullups, pushups, and all that jazz) and general wearing, I get less bounce with this carrier and plate combo, because I can get the carrier really tight. Since straps are stretchy I can still breath with the thing :D
Link Posted: 5/7/2018 6:17:52 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
I love this carrier as well. Granted my only experience with it is workouts (running, pullups, pushups, and all that jazz) and general wearing, I get less bounce with this carrier and plate combo, because I can get the carrier really tight. Since straps are stretchy I can still breath with the thing :D
View Quote
Besides wearing on the range and Craigslist deals I wear it running regularly and find the same thing. There's no padding but d/t the elastic does not bounce and is as comfortable as a carrier can be after a 8 mile run.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 2:28:25 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Hesco 3610 are good plates
View Quote
To me, those are the plates that are the standard all others should be compared to.  Great quality, weight, not insane on price, but not the thinnest or cheapest.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 5:15:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Where can the Tencate plates be purchased? The CR-6400 SA sounds great.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:00:47 AM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Where can the Tencate plates be purchased? The CR-6400 SA sounds great.
View Quote
This is it under the Tencate brand, https://www.battaliondefense.com/TenCate-6400SA-Armor-Plate-p/cr-6400sa.htm It can also be bought as the AT armor STOP BZ and the Velocity systems BZ plate. It's a great plate with a price to match.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 12:21:12 PM EDT
[#27]
Get stronger...come on dude....

My load out is nearly 17 with 3 mags and its the PIG setup with DKX armor.

I'm 5'10 at 185 pounds and I run and work out every single day almost.

come on dude..

get stronger...
get used to it.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 6:36:43 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Get stronger...come on dude....

My load out is nearly 17 with 3 mags and its the PIG setup with DKX armor.

I'm 5'10 at 185 pounds and I run and work out every single day almost.

come on dude..

get stronger...
get used to it.
View Quote
Dude, ever hear of work smarter not harder?  If $600 can save me 4-6 pounds I’ll take it.

Besides, I’m 6’9” and 255. Really low fat. Can’t work out much more than I already do. Lol. Especially with the health issues I have. Plus I’m old man. 39 and I feel like 89.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 8:04:33 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Dude, ever hear of work smarter not harder?  If $600 can save me 4-6 pounds I’ll take it.

Besides, I’m 6’9” and 255. Really low fat. Can’t work out much more than I already do. Lol. Especially with the health issues I have. Plus I’m old man. 39 and I feel like 89.
View Quote
Pretty sure he was being sarcastic considering that what a lot of people say on here.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 10:45:58 PM EDT
[#30]
I'm being risky with my old Tap Gamma III+ Plates, 4lbs each 10x12, until I can afford those 3/8" LvlIV SOCOM $1000each Plates.
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:08:15 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I'm being risky with my old Tap Gamma III+ Plates, 4lbs each 10x12, until I can afford those 3/8" LvlIV SOCOM $1000each Plates.
View Quote
Which plates?
Link Posted: 5/8/2018 11:40:57 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Which plates?
View Quote
AFAIK other than ESAPIs the popular plates for SF dudes are the Velocity BZ, Ceradyne 275s, and the velocity ULVs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 1:20:40 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic considering that what a lot of people say on here.
View Quote
Oh. My bad.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 3:30:47 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
View Quote
I'm pretty sure that there's no such thing as a commercially-available 3/8" Level IV plate.  I've heard rumors of such things from various research labs... but I think that these technologies are, to the extent they exist at all, only produced on laboratory scales, and have not found their way into commercial products.

Morgan Advanced Materials sells a plate at about 1/2" that they call a "Level Four Minus" -- supposedly a cut above "Level Three Plus" -- which is basically the exact same thing as the Velocity API-BZ.  These are, emphatically, not Level IV plates.  They're pretty damn good, though.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 4:02:13 AM EDT
[#35]
Tan plates intended for SOCOM, some overruns wound up on the market, many went to LE SWAT.   Primo plates but who has $2000/pr, esp at the time I was struggling to  eat.   Similar to Tyr Ultra Low Vis plates, could be the forerunner to them matter of fact, these were out briefly about 4-5 yrs ago.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 4:27:12 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

Tan plates intended for SOCOM, some overruns wound up on the market, many went to LE SWAT.   Primo plates but who has $2000/pr, esp at the time I was struggling to  eat.   Similar to Tyr Ultra Low Vis plates, could be the forerunner to them matter of fact, these were out briefly about 4-5 yrs ago.
View Quote
The Tyr plate is practically identical to the Velocity API-BZ plate.  These plates aren't really "Level IV" (i.e. capable of stopping a .30-06 APM2 at ~2900 fps.)

If these SOCOM plates were out 4-5 years ago, then I can state with full 100% confidence that they either weren't 3/8", or weren't Level IV.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 2:15:10 PM EDT
[#37]
View Quote
That looks a lot more comfortable than my Blackhawk Low Vis carrier. I should upgrade.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 3:27:35 PM EDT
[#38]
View Quote
You need backers for that, too.
Link Posted: 5/9/2018 3:28:43 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

AFAIK other than ESAPIs the popular plates for SF dudes are the Velocity BZ, Ceradyne 275s, and the velocity ULVs.
View Quote
That's what I have.^ My carrier, Ten Speed three mag pouch, plates, backers, and mags come in at 12.5 lbs.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 8:38:18 AM EDT
[#40]
First of all, you're right; 14 lbs of plates is too fucking much.  Regardless of what you get, they need to be in 4 lb + range each.  The Velocity plates are really good stuff.  It is a different std that's focused on military threats instead of law enforcement ratings.  So depending on what your threats might be, they make a very good choice.

I have reached the conclusion, as you seem to be getting to, that heavy/steel plates are just not a viable option.  With just a minimal load out of 3 mags, BOK, and small radio, I try and keep it around 12-15 lbs.  Steel plates will bump that up to 20, and that's just not acceptable.

I have spent the last two years really focusing on how much load I can carry and still be able to function, as in reaching a destination and being able to fight.  I have reached the conclusion that 50 lbs, all up, is a good figure of merit, for most folks.  That means your weapons and equipment, including armor, need to be around 20-25 lbs.  That leaves 20-25 lbs for your ruck.

If you are not training hard, on a regular basis, with at least 2 load-bearing work-outs per week, you are kidding yourself if you think you will be able to carry more, on the day.

Also consider when wearing armor at all, is going to be a non-starter.

I don't mean to be putting heavy/steel plates down, but well, I guess I am.  Unless you are just pulling some kind of static defensive posture, they're just too heavy.  So yeah, to the OP, I'm with ya.  If your mission requirements are such that mobility is required, armor weight must be dialed in.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 8:55:46 AM EDT
[#41]
Of course this all depends on you and what you're up to.  I have a buddy who is getting ready for an up-coming deployment.  So we are hitting the surrounding mountains with some hard core ruck marches.  Carrying heavy loads, for long distances is a motherfucker, plain and simple.  You really have to be ready to suffer.  That being said, you also have to realize what the practical limits are to your capabilities.  Armor weight is one variable that is going to have to be looked at, really hard.  You can't fight, if just getting there wears you out.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 7:16:48 PM EDT
[#42]
Realistically if you are just using it for home defense for example, cheaper, heavier plates make sense.

If you are actually moving around with them...lighter always wins.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 7:28:47 PM EDT
[#43]
curious when and why you are wearing them.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:08:55 AM EDT
[#44]
I assume a home defense scenario, as the OP envisions likely threats in the event of a WROL situation.  The likelihood of something like this being necessary in this country is dependent on your individual estimate of the situation.  Some think it's crazy, some prepare for the worst.  I don't try to explain this any more; you either see a need for it, or you don't.  If you do, then consider some things from this thread.  If not, then ignore it.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:19:02 AM EDT
[#45]
Trying to decide which highcoms to get

HighComs 4S17
or HighComs 3S9
or HighComs 3S9M

Does anyone know the difference between the two 3S9 plates?

Also the Highcoms 4S17 is showing $180 per plate, is that real?!?!
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 2:55:02 PM EDT
[#46]
The "M" plates appear to be in SAPI plate sizes.

Those plates are $180 because they're 7.5lbs a piece
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
View Quote
I wear mine when we’re doin run n guns around a lot of people, never hurts. It’s also a requirement if you ever take shoot house classes, from my experience.
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 8:19:34 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Trying to decide which highcoms to get

HighComs 4S17
or HighComs 3S9
or HighComs 3S9M

Does anyone know the difference between the two 3S9 plates?

Also the Highcoms 4S17 is showing $180 per plate, is that real?!?!
View Quote
Weight. Weapon types. Single curve vs Sapi.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 1:01:14 AM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
View Quote
Do you have smoke alarms in your house?  Have you ever had a house fire?  If no then why do you have smoke alarms?

You have auto insurance?  Have you been in an accident?  If you’ve never had an accident why have anything other than liability?

List. On and on. You get the idea.

And I won’t be that guy. Darn right part of the reason is I think this shit is cool and enjoy fiddling with it.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 11:37:22 AM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

You got a pretty mouth...
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top