User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 6
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 9:29:18 PM EDT
[#1]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
@slappomatt

The AR for the Aurora was to have a range of 5 miles, have an option for multiple teams, be able to display team member locations, show waypoints and use mobile device locations. It would have been a very useful tool.  

If SiOnyx added the functionality of waypoints to the OPSIN it would extend the units case use significantly.
View Quote
for sure. but at this point its a big IF.
Link Posted: 1/19/2023 10:07:24 PM EDT
[#2]
out of date
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 9:27:45 PM EDT
[#3]
out of date
Link Posted: 1/26/2023 10:37:12 PM EDT
[#4]
out of date
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 6:01:21 AM EDT
[#5]
out of date
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 9:03:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah it's funny reading their "source material" for their vids weeks before they make them.
Link Posted: 2/6/2023 10:14:48 PM EDT
[#7]
out of date
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:22:33 AM EDT
[#8]
His first Sionyx review was so bad (trying to shoot a short gun with one hand, while holding the device with the other and claiming you can't shoot with them, etc...), I haven't watched this one.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 11:59:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
His first Sionyx review was so bad (trying to shoot a short gun with one hand, while holding the device with the other and claiming you can't shoot with them, etc...), I haven't watched this one.
View Quote
watching it now. they put a $2600 opsin against a $5000 unfilmed. what surprised me was the green aurora having better low light performance than the opsin in one of their test shots into a dark shed. I have a feeling they didn't use optimal settings. it made the opsin look like it was the exact same sensor as the aurora with heavy anti-noise processing.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 1:13:52 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
watching it now. they put a $2600 opsin against a $5000 unfilmed. what surprised me was the green aurora having better low light performance than the opsin in one of their test shots into a dark shed. I have a feeling they didn't use optimal settings. it made the opsin look like it was the exact same sensor as the aurora with heavy anti-noise processing.
View Quote

LOL, figured. We already know OPSIN is better than the 2nd Gen Pro, from all the vids ^^^^. A 1st Gen OG Classic Green looking better? Hahahaha.
Link Posted: 2/7/2023 9:05:16 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

LOL, figured. We already know OPSIN is better than the 2nd Gen Pro, from all the vids ^^^^. A 1st Gen OG Classic Green looking better? Hahahaha.
View Quote
this was the spot I was referring to. keep in mind earlier in that same clip the opsin looked better than the aurora, as they backed out I think the exposure changed to the brighter exterior of the shed, but if you look into the dark in this specific screen cap I think the detail in the dark is better in the aurora albeit much noisier.

Link Posted: 2/8/2023 12:15:39 AM EDT
[#12]
out of date
Link Posted: 2/8/2023 11:06:47 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

In the case of the OPSIN, NV enabled RMR/RDS/HWS work fine .  What is very obvious, is the shooter in their video, spent little time with the OPSIN.

Also note the "optics" bench the aurora and opsin are mounted at the rear whereas the PVS14 and AS7 are mounted to the front, in other words the Aurora and OPSIN are in a somewhat "shaded" position.
View Quote

Please don't make me watch the video
Link Posted: 2/12/2023 6:41:00 AM EDT
[#14]
out of date
Link Posted: 2/27/2023 9:42:44 PM EDT
[#15]
Dupe
Link Posted: 2/28/2023 7:33:25 PM EDT
[#16]
Digital is the future, but think I'll wait for the next improvement. Hopefully it can see swir like a boss.

That comparison vid shows there's still  bit to be desired

Link Posted: 3/1/2023 6:30:50 AM EDT
[#17]
View Quote

Thanks hoss - thought for sure Karl was going to trash it, LOL!

Caveman - according to BE Meyers and UTC Aerospace, 1064nm is where SWIR starts (argue with them, not me) - this does 1300nm IIRC. Only 250nm to go in order to pick up a Core Survival 1550nm Beacon, but really, why care 'real world' ?
Link Posted: 3/2/2023 1:45:36 AM EDT
[#18]
out of date
Link Posted: 3/3/2023 12:09:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

@mickdonaldson - I think peoples expectations are starting to become more realistic and also they're working out where it works well and where it needs additional help.  

View Quote

Yup, actually using new tech for more than one night (hour?), offers a lot of benefits
Link Posted: 3/5/2023 8:33:00 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Digital is the future, but think I'll wait for the next improvement. Hopefully it can see swir like a boss.

That comparison vid shows there's still  bit to be desired

View Quote

One of the comparisons on YouTube showed that Opsin sees SWIR (1050nm) just like the Aurora's, pretty dim. Although someone mentioned that Opsin could see above 1200nm, I didn't see any proof.

I'm thinking to order some SWIR LED's for testing, but even if Opsin sees 1200nm+ it is going to be very faint and not practical. Possibility better results with a SWIR pass filter.

A more practical OOB solutions are probably 980/990nm.
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 12:37:33 AM EDT
[#21]
out of date
Link Posted: 3/6/2023 2:07:59 PM EDT
[#22]
This 1064nm Fiber LASER showed up well to a Gen 1 OG 'Green' Aurora (Nick Chen Photo) - was it because the power of the LASER was so high?

Link Posted: 3/8/2023 6:11:29 AM EDT
[#23]
out of date
Link Posted: 3/23/2023 1:27:28 AM EDT
[#24]
out of date
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 4:20:52 AM EDT
[#25]
out of date
Link Posted: 4/1/2023 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
For those that may be interested I tracked down a bridge for the OPSIN and a Y cable (to use single power pack for two units).

OPSIN Bridge
View Quote

Nice (but pricey) find. I knew the Y-Cable would show up I wonder what Lion's Gear is doing on this front.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 12:15:57 AM EDT
[#27]
ouy of date
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 3:28:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Looks like mod armory bridge.
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 4:00:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Yes, it is pricey and I cant see an obvious IPD adjustment - could be a small allen screw on the arm???  The Y cable makes sense and that would give you a genuine 4 hours of operation time before needing to change battery pack.  You probably will get more than this as one device will have have WIFI and GPS shutdown.  

Nonetheless it ends up being a 6k proposition to have functioning binos that operate effectively and unaided down to the bottom of NL4.  

I have to say, I think they need to add a greyscale option for low light conditions - its much easier on the eye.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nice (but pricey) find. I knew the Y-Cable would show up I wonder what Lion's Gear is doing on this front.

Yes, it is pricey and I cant see an obvious IPD adjustment - could be a small allen screw on the arm???  The Y cable makes sense and that would give you a genuine 4 hours of operation time before needing to change battery pack.  You probably will get more than this as one device will have have WIFI and GPS shutdown.  

Nonetheless it ends up being a 6k proposition to have functioning binos that operate effectively and unaided down to the bottom of NL4.  

I have to say, I think they need to add a greyscale option for low light conditions - its much easier on the eye.

It’s a mod armory or mod armory rip off. The articulation is the IPD adjustment, which you might not enjoy when looking at a square digital screen (the screens will be crooked based on your IPD adjustment/amount of articulation). The bridge is designed for the circular screen of analog night vision which doesn’t change in appearance when articulated. Hopefully someone who wants one bad enough will call and figure out if the opsin shoes have sliding IPD adjustment. If not, the photo of the bridge at the narrowest setting looks to be too wide for many users.

Does the opsin have a circular screen option? For reasons mentioned above

4 hours of operation. That’s bad, but expected and manageable for anything digital.

$6K for a bino opsin is hard to stomach considering how many great analog binos can be had for $6K new (or half of that if you are good at watching the used market)
Link Posted: 4/3/2023 11:20:44 AM EDT
[#30]
Yes, price (at retail) is the OPSIN's Achilles heel for anyone looking for just NV capability to the bottom of NL4 (instead of all the Digital features it brings over Analog). Now, if you qualify for Guidefitter (which I assume is the same as ExpertVoice) - it becomes more palatable (IIRC it's $1500-$1900, but don't quote me), but you have to have some sort of professional documentation. Lion's Gear could probably produce a $300 Bridge similar to MACHOS, which does horizontal IPD. The power, I don't know - they went 7.2v - was that necessary? The Pro runs off 5v and can go days (nights) on a USB Power Bank.

Link Posted: 4/4/2023 7:39:47 AM EDT
[#32]
out of date
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 7:48:14 AM EDT
[#33]
I think you have people with a vested interest in analog NV that are naturally gonna M-F digital, so no surprise you have peeps down-playing this tech.

SiOnyx needs to get out of their own way and get the price down.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:24:06 AM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
I think you have people with a vested interest in analog NV that are naturally gonna M-F digital, so no surprise you have peeps down-playing this tech.
View Quote

As someone who happily owns both (gen3 binos, OG Aurora) and has dabbled with the PVS-69 stuff, I feel like that is not really what's going on here. If you gave me digital that performed as well as, say Photonis Echo gen2+, I'd buy digital. There are so many more cool things that are easy to do with digital, such as augmented reality and HUDs.

The problem is thinking the tech is ready right now to compete with gen2+ and gen3. It's not, albeit the OPSIN seems like another incremental step in the right direction. You can do fantastic stuff with digital in IR-rich environments like a suburban backyard or a clear night with a full moon, but it starts falling off pretty dramatically when ambient IR becomes scarce. I understand why some people really want digital to be ready right this moment; dropping $2500 on a gen3 PVS-14 is beyond many people's budgets, and they want to play in the NV game with their buddies. And it's better than nothing! But being realistic about the problems with digital isn't down-playing the technology, it's just being practical.
Link Posted: 4/4/2023 10:11:19 PM EDT
[#35]
Out of date
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 8:40:15 AM EDT
[#36]
Yeah and that's sorta my point.  Whether it's true, or not, there are people with vested interests in steering your opinion on these things.  

One company, who shall remain nameless, recent publish a vid of them sitting around and derisively mother-fucking the OPSIN as a mere toy.  Whether they actually think that, or if they're right, is not my point.  It's that they have multi-million dollar interests in making YOU think that.  So I'm putting my intel officer's cap on, and not looking at the message, but why they are saying it, and using that as "A" way of evaluating the message.

But perhaps in their defense, if you have deep ties with the industry, and access to all the latest toys, then maybe you can turn your nose up to emerging technology.  At least for the time being.  And of course you are protecting your rice bowl.  Can't fault them for that.  But ask yourself if you're drinking the cool-aid.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 9:03:43 AM EDT
[#37]
out of date
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:04:43 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 10:36:02 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

The most amusing thing about this is, I bought the OPSIN on a whim and because @mickdonaldson suggested it should be done and who can refuse a former Ranger.  

View Quote

Hahaha! If the damn thing took a Wilcox Shoe and had a USB port, I'd have been first

SiOnyx Digital isn't going away, it'll only get better - it's so close now. Make it less proprietary (they lost a sale from me because of that) and until you are no sh*t equal, the price needs to be at least $1K less than the base level 14s on sale. I think that's a big enough savings, where people will evaluate the lack of NL5 native performance, vs having to save another $1000, after making a realistic needs determination, based on their usual operating area (almost everybody goes active inside buildings - even white light).  But SiOnyx marketing isn't sending me checks, so...what do I know
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 2:32:57 PM EDT
[#40]
Sorry Will, DID NOT mean to drag you into this; just repeating comments I heard from others.  Admittedly, I did not hear that myself, first-hand.  But I was trying to be fair, and even-handed.  

It's all the Ranger's fault anyways.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 3:28:47 PM EDT
[#41]
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 3:45:29 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:

As someone who happily owns both (gen3 binos, OG Aurora) and has dabbled with the PVS-69 stuff, I feel like that is not really what's going on here. If you gave me digital that performed as well as, say Photonis Echo gen2+, I'd buy digital. There are so many more cool things that are easy to do with digital, such as augmented reality and HUDs.

The problem is thinking the tech is ready right now to compete with gen2+ and gen3. It's not, albeit the OPSIN seems like another incremental step in the right direction. You can do fantastic stuff with digital in IR-rich environments like a suburban backyard or a clear night with a full moon, but it starts falling off pretty dramatically when ambient IR becomes scarce. I understand why some people really want digital to be ready right this moment; dropping $2500 on a gen3 PVS-14 is beyond many people's budgets, and they want to play in the NV game with their buddies. And it's better than nothing! But being realistic about the problems with digital isn't down-playing the technology, it's just being practical.
View Quote

This was the first I've heard of the printed night vision stuff, and after looking into it, I'm interested in the idea.  How far did you get in that endeavor?  Your use case is right up my alley, suburban, goofing in the woods and trails camping several times a year with the kids.

Had the opsin come in at ~$1,000, I'd probably have one right now, but I just can't pull the trigger on $2,500.  I don't care about augmented reality stuff, built in compass, recording, wifi, bluetooth, any of that stuff.  I just want to be able to see better in the dark and mount that to a helmet.

Anyway, I've already got a good 3d printer, and it sounds like something fun to do and tinker with for the kids and me.  I'm interested in your thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 4:28:52 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
This was the first I've heard of the printed night vision stuff, and after looking into it, I'm interested in the idea.  How far did you get in that endeavor?  Your use case is right up my alley, suburban, goofing in the woods and trails camping several times a year with the kids.

Had the opsin come in at ~$1,000, I'd probably have one right now, but I just can't pull the trigger on $2,500.  I don't care about augmented reality stuff, built in compass, recording, wifi, bluetooth, any of that stuff.  I just want to be able to see better in the dark and mount that to a helmet.

Anyway, I've already got a good 3d printer, and it sounds like something fun to do and tinker with for the kids and me.  I'm interested in your thoughts.
View Quote

It's a real rabbit hole. It is definitely cheaper (esp if you have a 3D printer), and the whole digital tubes idea is pretty clever if you have a spare PVS-14 housing lying around. The problem I have with it is that I'm not entirely sure I think it's cheap enough to not just buy a used/refurb Aurora and use that instead. The PVS-69 uses FPV cameras which are very low-latency, but tend to have even worse low-light performance than the Aurora. It's not a free lunch.
Link Posted: 4/5/2023 4:48:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

It's a real rabbit hole. It is definitely cheaper (esp if you have a 3D printer), and the whole digital tubes idea is pretty clever if you have a spare PVS-14 housing lying around. The problem I have with it is that I'm not entirely sure I think it's cheap enough to not just buy a used/refurb Aurora and use that instead. The PVS-69 uses FPV cameras which are very low-latency, but tend to have even worse low-light performance than the Aurora. It's not a free lunch.
View Quote

Thanks for your insights!

Looking at it the eye lens seems really appealing, over something like the Aurora.

Lets say, I'm not going to drop $2,500 on a ospin or analogue PVS-14, I also don't want to look at a camera viewfinder like the Aurora or mess with the mounting system involved, do you think the PVS-69 is worth the bother over nothing except the torch I've already on on my rifles and pistols?
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 9:05:15 AM EDT
[#45]
@ Wiil that's fair and I will take my lumps for that.  

I will say I think GHOz has been fair and balanced here, unlike many others (perhaps myself included).  He has done in-depth analysis and pretty much laid it all out on the table.  Unlike a lot of these drive-by reviewers on youtube.  It is a rare bird indeed that can put aside all other considerations and focus solely on the facts.  

We live in a time of on-line influencers.  Most are affected by outside influences themselves, to one degree or another.  It's very hard not to be.  Personal preferences, prejudices enter into it, as well as friendships, associations with others and so forth.  Many have substantial investment in one technology or another.  

Regardless of what conclusion you draw, you have a fairly comprehensive review here, to show you where digital NV is at.  And a lot of noise as well.  My bad if I contributed to that.
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:12:04 AM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 10:50:21 AM EDT
[#47]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 11:13:22 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

- Latency, as Will alluded to, is still a huge issue, and one that is of significant concern - the "refresh rate" for the human eye is approximately 500 µs, converted to "digital" speak, it's roughly equivalent to a 2,000 Hz system.  Analog night vision, which is considered "direct view" (no latency) is 625 µs, or roughly equivalent to 1,600 Hz.

~Augee
View Quote

Most use milliseconds. I assume Analog has 0ms, the Aurora Pro has 30ms, and you blink at 300ms. Latency isn't a problem even with the Pro - I believe the OPSIN is down to 2ms. Then again, maybe it's a personal physiological thing, or a lack of walking, running, driving, and shooting with Digital (SiOnyx) - for hours and hours and hours, for years - that provides for the disconnect. There *is* a difference obviously, between 0ms and 30ms - but it just doesn't impact real life - at least for me. Nobody crashes their car while driving, when they close their eyes for even 300ms

Edit: And this is from an average Joe perspective/use case - of course the T1 guys aren't going to throw on anything that isn't at least equal to current Analog in performance/size/weight (which doesn't exist yet in helmet mounted form)...we ain't them
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 12:30:46 PM EDT
[#49]
Link Posted: 4/6/2023 1:41:59 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:

I truly mean this is the most sincere way possible; I am glad that it works for you and meets your needs and that you're satisfied with its performance.  

~Augee
View Quote

Thanks man, I own it all, so no horse to back (meaning I'm hopefully not susceptible to Confirmation Bias, or Purchase Validation - common with people who only own one "thing"). Most shooters who dedicate some time to using them, will do just fine - the "lag" is way overblown.
Page / 6
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top