Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/24/2018 7:52:20 PM EDT
Show off your Kel-Tec Sub-2000! Plain Jane or all decked out.

What do you love about the platform? What does it lack?

Looking for some input from actual owners. Most interested specifically in owners of the 2nd generation Glock 19/17 variety.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 8:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
I have a Gen 2 Glock 17 Sub2k. Most over-rated, worst-value purchase I have made in a firearm.

Positive is that it works after some breakin period, which was 200+ rounds for me for malfunctions to resolve. After that, it goes downhill:
- terrible ergonomics, poor safety placement and difficult charging
- abortion of a trigger... $5 investment by Kel-Tec should produce a metal trigger that doesn’t flex and doesn’t feel like 20 lbs of jerky pull
- Magpul mags work but nearly unusable with Glock OEM and ETS magazines without customizing
- ridiculous recoil, which you need to then buy aftermarket buffers that again would only cost $5 for the OEM to add
- out of specification top Picatinny and MLOK rails don’t hold zero for optics
- you need optics because the iron sights aren’t...
- Miserable in freezing or hot, sunny weather without another aftermarket addition, the tube cover, again a simple but missing OEM item

Sub2ks are generally a POS and too many people with have their personal worth wrapped up in extolling the missing virtues. I am convinced that most of those proponents never shoot them and mostly just post on the Kel-Tec message board, probably because they are too busy visiting outlet malls with laptop bags slung over their shoulder. It is also a cheap POS, which is at least better than a pricey POS.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:14:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Mine works fine, but I seldom shoot it after getting an evo and ar9. They are what they are, and if you buy one, you need to understand their quirks, or prepare to be disappointed.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 10:46:31 PM EDT
[#3]
I've had a very different experience than Walk Softly.

Love mine - it fits in a Camelbak along with 8 33 round magazines.

Had a gen 1 GLK 17 and 6 years ago sold it and bought a Gen 2 Glock 17 model with the proceeds.

Gen 2 front sight vs Gen 1 front sight is worth the upgrade IMO.

Mine has always functioned flawlessly with Glock OEM and KCI Korean mags, and have never experience this 'ridiculous recoil' previous poster complains of.

Just recently added metal trigger, spring kit, and metal feedramp that I bought from McCarbo.com - IMO, these are MUST DO upgrades.
Metal feedramp (OEM is plastic  O.o) is optional, as I've never had feeding problems, but since the gun was going to be apart anyway, it seemed legit.

I also slightly enlarged the rear peep aperture with a drill.

I love KelTec engineering, but do think it would have been so much better out of the box with a little more attention to detail.  Like every Kel Tec I've put my dickbeaters on, it does not feel in any way like a 'quality' build.  Yet I've never had a hiccup in thousands of rounds of brass and steel cased ammo.

I'll never sell mine - I'm a very gun familiar, non-hipster and have no vested interest in convincing you to buy one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2018 11:19:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Have had my Gen 1 .40 Glock mag since the ban era - still have the 10 round mag running around somewhere.  It's my CC secondary, backup to my 23, and I don't carry it in anything so obvious as a laptop bag.  Bright neon single strap backpack murse that screams,"This man has no fashion sense!"  Liberals don't pay it a second thought.

It's particularly handy in Texas, as our business' no guns signs actually carry legal weight when displayed properly - but only prohibit pistols, so I leave the 23 in the car & sail on in w/ my concealed rifle, and everyone's happy, except me having to do business w/ liberals for some damn reason.

My Gen 2 9x19mm is @ KelTec getting a new bbl, as their steel supplier came back after the fact and admitted they couldn't certify the steel - ie, they supplied Kel-Tec w/ steel from China.  Extremely unlikely you could blow up a straight blowback action, but no complaints about getting a brand new bbl out of the deal.  My under-21 step-daughter also has one since she can't pack a pistol, but has plenty of purses than can carry a rifle.  Mine also fits in my jacket in the winter.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 12:09:38 PM EDT
[#5]
I like mine a lot. It's my getting home on a really bad day gun.
It has all of the Mcarbo updates and I trust it completely.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 12:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 1:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Gen 2 G19 version here.
I recently received mine back from having the barrel replaced under the recall. My whole family loves it. It feeds everything perfectly and is really accurate. Ringing a 10" gong at 75 yards is not problem. I don't see any difference in performance from before I sent it in to KT.
I don't like how low the sights are, however.
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 1:24:06 PM EDT
[#8]
No one has shown anything yet :(
Link Posted: 7/25/2018 1:31:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:  No one has shown anything yet :(
View Quote
When I blocked all the Google crap from my phone & laptop, I lost the ability to upload pics to this site.  So I have to jump through hoops to get pics posted.  Both of my SUB-2000s are bone stock.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 8:07:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Attachment Attached File

I bought mine used from a friend- $300.  He had already replaced the trigger and spring, as well the feed ramp, with Mcarbo parts.  I've put about 500 rounds through it, including both myself and my 12 year old son using it in a PCC match.  No malfunctions with Glock OEM mags, ETS mags, and SGM mags.  I have yet to see a AR9 that functions this well.

Perfect?  Far from it, but it's a lot of fun, cheap to shoot, and the reliability has really surprised me.  A PCC is just a novelty anyway, and this one doesn't disappoint.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 8:38:37 AM EDT
[#11]
the only pictures of mine were the ones I took 3 days after I bought it to sell it because it was recalled. Sold it to someone who was willing to wait (I wasn't) at a loss just to get out of it. Bought it to be a companion on family trips, not interested in it exploding though.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 9:52:03 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:  ...not interested in it exploding though.
View Quote
See above.  They won't explode.  It's a straight-blowback action.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 10:22:59 AM EDT
[#13]
Appreciate the feedback from everyone! For a utilitarian pistol caliber carbine that can be had for $300-400 it seems hard to go wrong with the Sub-2000.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:33:29 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Appreciate the feedback from everyone! For a utilitarian pistol caliber carbine that can be had for $300-400 it seems hard to go wrong with the Sub-2000.
View Quote
I won't argue that.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 11:39:44 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

I won't argue that.
View Quote
Do you really agree with me or is that your username talking?
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 12:10:28 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:  Appreciate the feedback from everyone! For a utilitarian pistol caliber carbine that can be had for $300-400 it seems hard to go wrong with the Sub-2000.
View Quote
It's a semi-auto centerfire rifle that folds; the next level up, the folding AR, is available @ the $3k price point.  The 2k's strength is that it folds to 16" and takes your primary's magazines.  If you're not going to carry it, or throw it in the truck, HiPoints are cheaper, and the Ruger et al are more refined.
Link Posted: 7/26/2018 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#17]
No pics because mine are stock. One new gun and one previous gen gun. Both 9mm glock 17 models.

Since I bought the new one a couple years back I have wanted to sbr the old one like the old gemtech gun but have never gotten around to it.

Quoted:
I have a Gen 2 Glock 17 Sub2k. Most over-rated, worst-value purchase I have made in a firearm.

Positive is that it works after some breakin period, which was 200+ rounds for me for malfunctions to resolve. After that, it goes downhill:
- terrible ergonomics, poor safety placement and difficult charging
- abortion of a trigger... $5 investment by Kel-Tec should produce a metal trigger that doesn’t flex and doesn’t feel like 20 lbs of jerky pull
- Magpul mags work but nearly unusable with Glock OEM and ETS magazines without customizing
- ridiculous recoil, which you need to then buy aftermarket buffers that again would only cost $5 for the OEM to add
- out of specification top Picatinny and MLOK rails don’t hold zero for optics
- you need optics because the iron sights aren’t...
- Miserable in freezing or hot, sunny weather without another aftermarket addition, the tube cover, again a simple but missing OEM item

Sub2ks are generally a POS and too many people with have their personal worth wrapped up in extolling the missing virtues. I am convinced that most of those proponents never shoot them and mostly just post on the Kel-Tec message board, probably because they are too busy visiting outlet malls with laptop bags slung over their shoulder. It is also a cheap POS, which is at least better than a pricey POS.
View Quote
I think that maybe your problem with the gun was your expectations. You seem like you expected a lot out of the little utilitarian carbine.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 8:19:12 PM EDT
[#18]
What optics are people using on their Sub-2000’s?

If I purchase one I’d like to get an off set mount, or maybe that Midwest Industries one, so I could use a red dot but still be able to fold & lock the rifle.
Link Posted: 7/27/2018 10:54:46 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
What optics are people using on their Sub-2000's?

If I purchase one I'd like to get an off set mount, or maybe that Midwest Industries one, so I could use a red dot but still be able to fold & lock the rifle.
View Quote
I use a Burris Fast fire 3 with a riser/QD mount and just remove it when I fold it. I re-attach it to the bottom pic rail for safe keeping. In my opinion if there is a departure from zero, the carbine is not accurate enough to notice (at least I never have). Pic was before I did the Fast fire 3
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 6:19:25 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
I use a Burris Fast fire 3 with a riser/QD mount and just remove it when I fold it. I re-attach it to the bottom pic rail for safe keeping. In my opinion if there is a departure from zero, the carbine is not accurate enough to notice (at least I never have).
View Quote
Cool. I like that idea about attaching it to the bottom rail for storage. Also a good point about departure from zero.

Can anyone chime in on the Midwest Industries mount that folds out of the way to allow the gun to be collapsed?
Link Posted: 7/28/2018 2:21:57 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I use a Burris Fast fire 3 with a riser/QD mount and just remove it when I fold it. I re-attach it to the bottom pic rail for safe keeping. In my opinion if there is a departure from zero, the carbine is not accurate enough to notice (at least I never have).
View Quote
Same here. Optic is a holosun though with adm qd riser.
Link Posted: 7/30/2018 8:59:59 AM EDT
[#22]
My pic above is with a Vortex SPARC.  It worked well enough, but I bought a Vortex Viper a few months back and like it better.  The MRDS is a good fit, and with the window instead of a tube, seems a little faster on transitions.  I use a Samson Manufacturing QD mount on the Viper, and just move it from top of rail to bottom before folding the carbine.  It returns to zero close enough to keep all rounds on a 5" plate at 25 yards.
Link Posted: 8/1/2018 2:42:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Anyone used the Primary Arms optics on their Sub-2000?
Link Posted: 8/2/2018 9:58:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's a current pic of mine.  Single chamber micro brake, Samson QR mount, vortex Viper MRDS.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 8/6/2018 9:20:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Is anyone using an offset mount like the Magpul M-LOK offset mount on their Sub-2000 for an optic? I’m wondering if putting something like a Primary Arms micro on one of these would still let a Sub-2000 fold up.
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:33:00 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Is anyone using an offset mount like the Magpul M-LOK offset mount on their Sub-2000 for an optic? I’m wondering if putting something like a Primary Arms micro on one of these would still let a Sub-2000 fold up.
View Quote
I looked into most of the options 1. Quick detach mount 2.offset mount 3. Midwest mount
I went with option 1,  the quick detach holds zero well enough and is almost as fast to deploy as the Midwest option and if I was in a huge hurry I could use open sights.  Many people say the Midwest also doesn't hold zero that well.  Offset could work but I just liked the idea of the optic in its normal position.  I will say that I enjoy shooting my sub much more with the optic
Link Posted: 8/8/2018 1:44:43 PM EDT
[#27]
Other option is the Red Lion rotating forend.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:27:09 AM EDT
[#28]
It's like the Miata of guns: bare, utilitarian, built for a narrow purpose, and designed with the philosophy that more isn't always better.  Just like a Miata, you can bolt a bunch of stuff to it in an attempt to mash it into other roles, but the bone stock version is perfect already.

I have the gen 2 g17 version.  It's been 100% reliable so far, and I can't think of a single thing I would change about it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 8:04:56 AM EDT
[#29]
And just like a Miata- even though it's fun, you don't really want to be seen driving it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:11:07 AM EDT
[#30]
Sub2k was always on my wish list back before the gen 2s came out, but were either over MSRP or they went faster than I was.

Picked up a gen 2 (Beretta mags) not long after they updated the front sight. Accuracy is average but I only shoot el cheapo plinking ammo thru it. My Evo & CX4 Storm 9mm both group much better with the same ammo. They also cost twice as much.

But it's been 100% reliable. Yes, ergos are terrible, trigger feels like a kid's toy out of the box, grip feels shorter than it should. But it's also super light, and compact. It's strengths outweigh it's faults.

Folded up it's also pretty easy to sling across your back, no barrel poking over your shoulder to snag on branches. Hides in any laptop bag/backpack.

And if you're running Beretta or S&W mags, you don't have many options for PCCs.

Gotta say, though, my Kel Tec CMR-30 .22wmr carbine feels like a much better quality carbine, with it's aluminum free floating rails and super light trigger. With the stock collapsed, it's not much bigger than the Sub2k folded. I wish KT would improve the Suk2K trigger as it's hands down the worst trigger on a PCC I've ever pulled, and either upgrade the plastic handguards to aluminum, or imbed some aluminum rails in the hand guards. The seam for the hand guards is right down the middle of the pic rails, and mine tend to rise up in the middle where they meet, so I had to file mine down a bit so the QD mount for my red dot would sit flat.

A co-worker has had a gen 1 that runs the same mags as his P-11 and he's had no issues or failures with his.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 12:22:26 AM EDT
[#31]
Anyone  take off both the front and rear sights and just run with an optic? and if so was it difficult?
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 8:07:11 AM EDT
[#32]
Got mine back w/ the new bbl yesterday.  Came w/ a free 10 round Magpul.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 10:23:36 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Anyone  take off both the front and rear sights and just run with an optic? and if so was it difficult?
View Quote
I’ve seen a few set up this way most were gen 1 guns. I don’t think the sight are in the way of most optics though but maybe I’m wrong.
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 11:50:26 AM EDT
[#34]
I use a KelTec Sub2000 in 40 S&W as a lightweight carbine for hog elimination on my forest lands in Louisiana.

PROS:
* Lightweight
* Quick target aiming at 75 yards and more accurate than my S&W MP Shield at that distance

CONS:
* Occasional feed ramp issues, have not corrected.

Link Posted: 9/12/2018 5:47:09 PM EDT
[#35]
bbrocks

Have you tried a replacement feed ramp? M carbo makes some replacement parts for the sub2k
Link Posted: 9/12/2018 7:11:27 PM EDT
[#36]
I have a G22 Sub2000. Little heavy in recoil for a PCC but damn fun. I had no problem ringing steel at 100 yards with it.
Link Posted: 9/13/2018 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
bbrocks

Have you tried a replacement feed ramp? M carbo makes some replacement parts for the sub2k
View Quote
Not yet, want to though.

I need to take photos of my 40 casings because they have all seem to have a long scrape / scratch imprinted on them when loaded into the chamber.

Main concern is losing my favorite carbine, due to my faulty repairs, right at the start of winter hog season.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 11:12:25 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
See my pictures above- I removed both front and rear sights.  I didn't like the sight picture, and have no intention of shooting it with the irons.

Much sleeker, especially with the front gone.
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#39]
I love my GEN2 SUB2K G19.
I have TONS of mags for it...it has a G19+2 mag in it, and then I have a 33rd mag ranger-strapped to the handguard (so 50rds on board).

I am actually ordering some MCARBO stuff today.

I'm thinking the steel feedramp (will polish) sounds like a good idea, as does the taller rear sight with a .170 aperture (vs .120); may as well grab the buffer and the "recoil reducing" larger charging handle.

I MAY get the trigger and the springs...but I REALLY don't like the idea of paying more than $120 on upgrades.  I've got a 1911 that wants Heinie sights and a full-length guide rod, a 6.5 creedmoor that wants a bipod and more ammo.

(That said, I may sell something--like my beloved 300blk Banshee--to help fund all these other projects.)
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:35:18 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Not yet, want to though.

I need to take photos of my 40 casings because they have all seem to have a long scrape / scratch imprinted on them when loaded into the chamber.

Main concern is losing my favorite carbine, due to my faulty repairs, right at the start of winter hog season.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
bbrocks

Not yet, want to though.

Understandable, if your handy maybe you could do the install yourself, there are vids on youtube which should help. Best of luck
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 2:51:18 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
See my pictures above- I removed both front and rear sights.  I didn't like the sight picture, and have no intention of shooting it with the irons.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dont know how I missed that, how much of a pain in the who-ha was is it to remove the front sight? did you use the boiling water trick to loosen it up?
Also who and where can i get the thread protector you have screwed on the front end, looks much nicer than exposed threads. Really looks good there, maybe if they go with a gen 3 they would have full lenght rails so people can go with buis if  they want them or just an optic like yours
Link Posted: 9/14/2018 10:42:44 PM EDT
[#42]
My Gen 1 with ATACS-LE camo. I also have two Gen 2's.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 9:46:02 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

I dont know how I missed that, how much of a pain in the who-ha was is it to remove the front sight? did you use the boiling water trick to loosen it up?
Also who and where can i get the thread protector you have screwed on the front end, looks much nicer than exposed threads. Really looks good there, maybe if they go with a gen 3 they would have full lenght rails so people can go with buis if  they want them or just an optic like yours
View Quote
I bought my carbine from a friend and he had already removed the sights- sorry, I'm no help there.

The thread protector is actually a short single chamber muzzle brake. It's a factory prototype, not on the market yet,  If the manufacturer decides to produce it, I'll be sure to let you know.

We used my s2k at a range day for veterans today and it had about 550 rounds shot through it. Total of 2 malfunctions all day, and I'm pretty sure it was due to the jhp ammo.
Link Posted: 9/15/2018 10:01:02 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I bought my carbine from a friend and he had already removed the sights- sorry, I'm no help there.

The thread protector is actually a short single chamber muzzle brake. It's a factory prototype, not on the market yet,  If the manufacturer decides to produce it, I'll be sure to let you know.

We used my s2k at a range day for veterans today and it had about 550 rounds shot through it. Total of 2 malfunctions all day, and I'm pretty sure it was due to the jhp ammo.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Cool
thanks for the heads up, in your first pic the thread protector looks like it came from Kel-tec, I hadnt thought if a muzzle brake but m-carbo makes one so i may look into that.
Link Posted: 9/17/2018 9:46:58 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Cool
thanks for the heads up, in your first pic the thread protector looks like it came from Kel-tec, I hadnt thought if a muzzle brake but m-carbo makes one so i may look into that.
View Quote
Crap- you're correct.  My first picture is with a thread protector- I don't know where it came from.  The second pic is with the single chamber brake.
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 4:02:25 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Crap- you're correct.  My first picture is with a thread protector- I don't know where it came from.  The second pic is with the single chamber brake.
View Quote
Do you think the brake makes much difference?
Link Posted: 9/19/2018 5:17:33 PM EDT
[#47]
Haven't used one, but it should a bit.  The SUB is so light there's a bit of push, particularly if you're throwing 180 grn .40’s.
Link Posted: 9/20/2018 9:39:53 AM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

Do you think the brake makes much difference?
View Quote
Hard to say.  The baffle of the brake has a lot of carbon build up, so I know it's diverting the gas.  But almost all of the recoil on a blow-back PCC is from the heavy bolt and carrier reciprocating.  9mm doesn't have a lot of gas, so it's hard to say that there's enough coming off the brake to counter-act the reciprocating mass.  But, this one looks cool.
Link Posted: 9/23/2018 10:36:13 PM EDT
[#49]
I figured I'd post here about my two issues, since we're all here anyway.

1)  My front sight post had to be moved 90% to the left side to be on at 17 yards.
2)  IF I slap my 17rd or 33rd mags in my Gen2 G19 SUB-2K, the mags will go TOO HIGH, and the bolt will then slam into the mags, and not push the rounds forward.  Could I have re-installed the mag release upside down?  I have no idea if it's possible or if it would cause this issue.

I only had G19 mags with me for the first trips, and the sight thing wasn't so annoying...shooting plates for speed, it became very annoying.  Then I discovered the mag issue.
Link Posted: 9/28/2018 10:25:10 PM EDT
[#50]
Did you get it brand new? think about sending it back in for repair.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top