Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/20/2020 5:48:07 PM EDT
Took apart my tirant 9 a few months to clean it and couldnt remember if I removed an o ring from the front cap or not. Theres a groove in the cap and aac list one. So I finally got around to ordering some. But my cap wont screw all the way down with the o ring listed installed.

Groove in front cap
Attachment Attached File

No o ring
Attachment Attached File

O ring installed
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/20/2020 6:14:38 PM EDT
[#1]
If I recall mine has an oring but it seats pretty flush
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:31:50 PM EDT
[#2]
@Atlmike could you possibly help me out here. I believe it was you that told me to send a pic of my end cap and you could tell me if was one that required an o ring or not. Obviously I never did that and just ordered the orings.
AAC customer service replied to my email about this and said they believe I installed the oring wrong.  
The last pic is the cap screwed down as far as it will go. That's with some slip applied and holding the spanner with a rag and really torquing down the cap.
A pic of just the groove is in the op.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 12:50:37 PM EDT
[#3]
It’s literally in the manual.

Tirant Manual
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:28:51 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It's literally in the manual.

Tirant Manual
View Quote
Yeah I know. Did you read the manual? It says some variants of Ti-Rant suppressors have an o ring and they list an o ring for both the 9 and 45. As you can see my cap has a groove but won't screw all the way down with the o ring installed. So how do I know if my cap requires an oring or not with the information provided in the instructions card provided by AAC?
By the way AAC first said I need it apply a drop of oil and are now saying I need to heat the o ring up with a hair dryer. After the oil didn't work
Thank you for your helpful post though
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:36:23 PM EDT
[#5]
O-ring might be in there as either a seal, or a thread retention feature. If you aren’t getting gas leakage or carbon buildup in the threads, or the front cap stays tight after reasonable torquing and use, you probably don’t need an o-ring.  I doubt AAC’s configuration control system on a consumer grade product would be able to tell you by serial number what it was intended to be.  Somebody might know a manufacturing date range for the change.  If you know the correct o-ring size try it both ways and decide what you like better.

ETA to me that looks more like a thread relief cut for fabrication ease and fitment range than a typical o-ring groove.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 1:46:33 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
O-ring might be in there as either a seal, or a thread retention feature. If you aren't getting gas leakage or carbon buildup in the threads, or the front cap stays tight after reasonable torquing and use, you probably don't need an o-ring.  I doubt AAC's configuration control system on a consumer grade product would be able to tell you by serial number what it was intended to be.  Somebody might know a manufacturing date range for the change.  If you know the correct o-ring size try it both ways and decide what you like better.

ETA to me that looks more like a thread relief cut for fabrication ease and fitment range than a typical o-ring groove.
View Quote
Agreed on the o ring groove. It doesn't really appear to be a groove to accept a ring. That's why I called on altmike. I believe it was him who offered to look at a pic of my cap back a few months ago but I dropped the ball on providing the pic.
Thank you for the help.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 3:07:01 PM EDT
[#7]
From the first pic with no o-ring, it looks like your Ti-Rant 9 is from the vintage where the Ti-Rant 9 went from being sealed to being user-serviceable. The earliest of these cans used the existing "sealed" front end caps, which did not have an o-ring groove (since they were sealed and not meant to come apart. The front end cap appears to be of that era, and features a thread relief groove and not an o-ring groove.

SilentMike
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 4:29:48 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
From the first pic with no o-ring, it looks like your Ti-Rant 9 is from the vintage where the Ti-Rant 9 went from being sealed to being user-serviceable. The earliest of these cans used the existing "sealed" front end caps, which did not have an o-ring groove (since they were sealed and not meant to come apart. The front end cap appears to be of that era, and features a thread relief groove and not an o-ring groove.

SilentMike
View Quote
I did buy my TiRant not long after the switch over. I dont know when exactly AAC made the switch but my can is
serial # 10xx and was approved in early January 2013.

Thank you very much for clearing this up for me SilentMike!
Should have sent you the pic before I made the purchase
Oh well my mistake will be someone's reward.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:48:28 PM EDT
[#9]
I offered these o rings up for free over in GD if anyone is interested
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 6:51:55 PM EDT
[#10]
My Mystic X has a groove for an o ring, but Liberty says not to use one.  They also sell the o rings for the Mystic series.
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:44:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Yeah I know. Did you read the manual? It says some variants of Ti-Rant suppressors have an o ring and they list an o ring for both the 9 and 45. As you can see my cap has a groove but won't screw all the way down with the o ring installed. So how do I know if my cap requires an oring or not with the information provided in the instructions card provided by AAC?
By the way AAC first said I need it apply a drop of oil and are now saying I need to heat the o ring up with a hair dryer. After the oil didn't work
Thank you for your helpful post though
View Quote
Yeah. Considering how I sold more tirant models than any man that walks the planet- yeah. I read the fucking manual.

A clue would have been if your cap had a groove for an or ring or not.

But what do I know?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 7:56:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

Yeah. Considering how I sold more tirant models than any man that walks the planet- yeah. I read the fucking manual.

But what do I know?
View Quote
Who are you and what do you know!?!?!
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

But what do I know?
View Quote
Lol thanks for the help
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:13:18 PM EDT
[#14]
What ever happened to Mers?
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 10:17:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I believe he parted ways with AAC shortly after they were sold
Link Posted: 2/21/2020 11:48:29 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

But what do I know?
View Quote
Did they every make one for left handed folks?
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 12:42:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
View Quote
Fired mid 2014.
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 8:51:25 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 2/22/2020 9:59:33 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
At SilencerShop now.
View Quote
Thanks. Good to hear he’s still in the industry. That sweater vest wearing bastard helped me out numerous times.  Good peeps.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top