Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/28/2018 11:35:45 AM EDT
Been looking at safes for months.  Started with $800.00 budget and quickly realized all I could get was Chinese walmart boxes. So instead I have been looking now to try to find a reasonably good used safe from a reputable maker.  Recently found a 1996 Fort Knox Guardian.  The guy wants $1100.00 and I can get it delivered in home for another $200.00.  Its got 10 gauge steel body and 1/4 inch steel plate door.  It has fire proofing inside.  The guy selling it thinks it was rated at 50 minutes for 1450 degrees, but who knows.  Weighs about 850 pounds.  Its a good size for me as I don't have a lot of long guns.    I would post pics but cant figure out how.  Its probably a 20 gun safe, likely holds around 12 long guns on one side, with four shelves on other side and large shelf on the top. I was hoping to get a safe with at least a 7 gauge steel safe body but I don't think I can find a 7 gauge body with 1/4 inch door for around $1000.  Should I be at all concerned about the safe being 20 years old?  Can I do any better in this price range?  Any thoughts would be appreciated especially anybody that might have any experience with a similar model/ similar vintage.  Thanks
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Sounds like a decent deal. I think those safes start at $2500. I've got two old Winchester safes. One I bought new 20 years ago at about a grand. The second I bought used for $600. Both 60"x30"x24" they have 1/4" doors and 10ga bodies and each weigh 700-800 pounds and are a Beotch to move. I did buy a similar sized newer safe Field and Stream for $500 it weighs half the other two and has flimsy sheet metal. I should have shopped Craigslist or Facebook Market Place. Older safes are out there.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:15:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Age isn't really significant on a quality safe. There have been some improvements and bells and whistles have increased, but the metal box doesn't wear out and most get minimal wear on the locks. BTW, you can add features to an old safe. I've added a door hanger, rifle sticks and lighting to mine.

If it is his personal safe and he is getting ready to move, you might decide to offer a little less as he probably just wants it gone.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 12:40:40 PM EDT
[#3]
850# seems light. my garbage costco RSC is close to that weight.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 1:35:56 PM EDT
[#4]
I have a Defender model from 1997.  No troubles at all.  I would say go for it.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 2:08:38 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Yours is probably 4-500 pounds. Big difference. Costco has a huge $900 Cannon that is < 600 lbs
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 3:36:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a Guardian 6637.  Had it about 18 years.  I am convinced it will never be broken into and had zero issues with it.  Won't comment on the deal but better than a tin can from Walmart.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#7]
Save the 200 rent a 10 foot uhale and grab a few frends. Thats what I did...minus the few friends.

Yeah it was hell getting it in...mine is a fat bastard jr.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 11:53:50 AM EDT
[#8]
Be very careful about using a uhaul for moving safes - you have to check the load capacity of the ramp.  If it breaks while you're going up on down it, crushed legs is about the best you can hope for.  Plus, it's about impossible to safely move, even with a dolly, a 700+ pound safe up the ramp.  You'd have to have people pushing it from below, which is very dangerous.

Better to use a pickup truck, where you can drag it in/out with the dolly and don't have a long ramp you have to move up and down on.
Link Posted: 11/24/2018 12:09:18 PM EDT
[#9]
Do it. I got a 1996 used for knox. It's a solid safe and a deal. You can always call them and get the specs as they built it.

V
Link Posted: 11/27/2018 11:14:10 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
Having looked at Costco safes when I purchased my safe I highly doubt what you say. 850 lbs for a 1100 dollar safe is pretty good.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:23:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Be very careful about using a uhaul for moving safes - you have to check the load capacity of the ramp.  If it breaks while you're going up on down it, crushed legs is about the best you can hope for.  Plus, it's about impossible to safely move, even with a dolly, a 700+ pound safe up the ramp.  You'd have to have people pushing it from below, which is very dangerous.

Better to use a pickup truck, where you can drag it in/out with the dolly and don't have a long ramp you have to move up and down on.
View Quote
I mean you should probably get a liftgate truck rated for it.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:47:04 PM EDT
[#12]
The Fort Knox S & G electronic locks are pure trash. I've replaced three on mine.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote
You can rent a Ryder with a lift gate for $10 more than a uhaul.
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:27:15 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Or do what I'm going to do when I find a decent deal and rent a small trailer.  They make ones that allow the deck to lay flat on the ground which is what I'll be using.

Many rental shops have These
Link Posted: 12/25/2018 11:36:09 PM EDT
[#15]
I just tipped my safe over into the Uhaul, then tipped it out.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top