Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/10/2018 9:45:41 AM EDT
I've amassed quite a pile of 12 gauge trap loads in 25-round boxes.

It's gotten to the point where I need some good storage ideas.  What kind of boxes or bins are you guys using to keep things organized?

I have a couple of hinged wooden boxes like this one that actually work well:

Attachment Attached File

The problem is I can't find them anymore.

What works? I'm Ideally looking for something stackable.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 9:48:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 12:45:12 PM EDT
[#2]
I know some shooters who like these from MTM

Plano offers these (available at Walmart)

I know that EMPTY Yugo M67 ammo crates will hold 19 boxes of 2.75" 20ga shells quite nicely.

You can find reproduction wooden shotshell crates that are both decorative and functional.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 1:49:13 PM EDT
[#3]
Those MTM boxes look perfect.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 2:17:42 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
View Quote
Google for best pricing. Last time I looked at these (a while back) Amazon had the best price but, you know, things change.
Link Posted: 5/10/2018 2:45:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 7:02:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Use the boxes from flats of ammunition.
View Quote
Same
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 10:59:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
Amazon has been putting them on sale the past few days.

MTM is a well made box for a pretty damn good price. Also O ringed for water resistance. I like the ones I've got. They have the 4 pack 30 cal can with tray on sale for 25 bucks right now. Might have to get a few more. They interlock for stacking!
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I usually cut off the spout off a jug of powder when I use one up.  Holds a fair amount of 12ga.  Holds about half a million .410
Link Posted: 5/11/2018 11:47:59 PM EDT
[#9]
I keep mine in 5 gal. Buckets.  I only box competition loads. I have a couple mtm large ammo cans for range use since a full 5 gallon bucket gets heavy.
Link Posted: 5/12/2018 4:37:13 AM EDT
[#10]
I ordered 2 of the 8.5" deep MTM crates. Supposedly each will hold 20 boxes of shells. If these work well I may grab more.
Link Posted: 5/13/2018 6:06:25 PM EDT
[#11]
For new ammo I use 30mm ammo cans, they hold 40 boxes each of roll crimped 2-3/4" and 44 boxes of star crimped 2-3/4". They are a little heavy but they are stackable and extremely durable and waterproof.

For reloads I use 30 cal cans, I think I get about 130 per can but it was almost a year ago that I packed them up.

I have about 10 of the poly cans that are "in use" ammo, I like them because they don't have the potential to leave a rust stain in my cars carpet, and won't gouge paint if I bump the door of my car while grabbing all the gear out at the range and they are much lighter. But Poly cans are not very water proof, like they leak in water not even over the lid, military ammo cans are generally waterproof to several feet.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 7:34:21 AM EDT
[#12]
There's a larger .50 cal can that usually carries 4 200rd 5.56 drums in it.  Those seem be what I store my 12 ga field loads in.  Also check your local surplus store for wooden ammo crates just make sure they have the rope handles.

CD
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:10:12 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Use the boxes from flats of ammunition.
View Quote
Yep. That’s what I’ve been using for years even my reloads.  I reload them, rebox them and pack the boxes in their original flats.   Going to shoot skeet for a day? Throw a flat in the vehicle.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 8:50:59 AM EDT
[#14]
I ended up getting three of the 8.5" deep MTM ammo crates.

They work perfectly and are exactly what I was looking for.

Each one holds 20 boxes of 12 gauge shells. I stuck a large dessicant pack in each one and put them out in the garage for storage under my work bench.

They're right next to my clay pigeons so a quick trip out to shoot clays with the Wheelybird will be even more convenient - just grab a crate, a couple boxes of clays, my range bag and shotgun and I'm ready to go.

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys.
Link Posted: 5/17/2018 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#15]
My shotgun shells don’t last long enough to worry about. I just leave them in the case and then shoot them up opening day.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top