Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/8/2018 7:47:41 PM EDT
Just saw a Chopping Block video hosted by TFB wherein an armor company I'm not familiar with is the subject of the test shoot.

What's the deal with these guys? Legit? It looks to me like their plates are just re-branded TenCates, specifically from the Cratus line. In fact, they use one of TenCates "armor lineup" photos on their site and their affiliate sites that sell their armor use it too.

If it is indeed TenCate Cratus plates that's pretty awesome actually, considering they're selling their "III+ GT" plate for only around $250 a plate for 8x10, $350 for 10x12. If Shot Stops "III+ GT" is actually a TenCate Cratus 2000SA like I suspect it is then that's a great price for those plates.

Shot Stop Stops Shots: Duritium lvl III+ composite body armor plate test

@bluefalcon
@sawlaw1
Link Posted: 6/8/2018 11:30:57 PM EDT
[#1]
According to a reference I have, yes they are tencate plates
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 4:13:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Yep.  This is provable: "Shot Stop" is on the NIJ list, but all of the models listed are from Tencate.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 12:06:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yep.  This is provable: "Shot Stop" is on the NIJ list, but all of the models listed are from Tencate.
View Quote
Doh! Didn't even think to check that. Thanks guys.

I also found Shot Stops spec sheets which actually use TenCates model numbers. The "III+ GT" is a TenCate 2000SA.
Link Posted: 6/9/2018 11:29:43 PM EDT
[#4]
It's too bad that they only have small and medium sizes
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 12:34:28 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
It's too bad that they only have small and medium sizes
View Quote
If Battalion Defense is still dealing in TenCate armor after their site redesign is finished you should be able to order the other sizes of just about any TenCate plate through them.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 12:43:04 AM EDT
[#6]
Kind of disappointing that Andrew didn't include velocities in the video of the rounds stopped, but I would trust his ammo choices more than most others testing armor. Looks like a pretty decent plate :D
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 1:05:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Kind of disappointing that Andrew didn't include velocities in the video of the rounds stopped, but I would trust his ammo choices more than most others testing armor. Looks like a pretty decent plate :D
View Quote
The 2000SA is a fantastic plate for its intended purpose. Only ~3 pounds in 8x10, around 5 in 10x12, .55 inches thick, multicurve, and stops basically anything except AP ammunition.

Also probably wouldn't do too well against heavy hitters like .338 Lapua, the BFD would probably be fairly severe if it stopped the round from penetrating. But for stopping essentially all common rifle threats it's great. About as thin and light as you can get before you start making sacrifices in stopping ability.
Link Posted: 6/10/2018 9:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The 2000SA is a fantastic plate for its intended purpose. Only ~3 pounds in 8x10, around 5 in 10x12, .55 inches thick, multicurve, and stops basically anything except AP ammunition.

Also probably wouldn't do too well against heavy hitters like .338 Lapua, the BFD would probably be fairly severe if it stopped the round from penetrating. But for stopping essentially all common rifle threats it's great. About as thin and light as you can get before you start making sacrifices in stopping ability.
View Quote
I got some .338 Armor tests coming up soon :D I'm hopeful to get 338LM 250gr velocities out of my 338RUM. Will do 45' and 200 yards :D
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top