Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/2/2020 2:03:06 AM EDT
I could have posted this in a lot of places, figured this is as good of a tech forum as any.

I'm looking for a shooting mat for hunting prone in the winter. There could be snow, could just be damp ground. I'm looking for something to keep me dry and maybe just slightly insulated from the ground. There could be sticks, maybe field stubble and whatnot. There's plenty of mats out there that seem to have good reviews. But most seem to be intended for target shooting or maybe long range hunting. My intent for this will be hunting from a prone position, but distance to the target may be less than 100 yards, so I need it to be quiet. A lot of mats I see advertised strike me as something that will be kind of loud.

Anyone know of any products that fit the bill for what I'm looking for?

Thanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:05:38 PM EDT
[#1]
What do you mean by loud?

My Midway shooting mat works well, rolls up nicely, and carries easy with the strap.

It's not loud.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 1:28:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Loud as in makes noise when moving on it, like a lot of waterproof materials do. That's fine on the range, but won't work so well when hunting.
Link Posted: 2/2/2020 3:30:25 PM EDT
[#3]
I use this one from Triad Tactical, it works pretty good, it's quiet, it packs small, it has enough padding to be ok on wet/snow ground and its comfortable..I have shot off it laying in an inch of snow 2 seasons ago..wasn't an issue...

https://triadtactical.com/triad-padded-shooting-mat/
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 1:20:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I also would like some idea for this.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:24:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 8:49:41 PM EDT
[#6]
I've Got one from Primary Arms that works well. Up until yesterday we didn't have much snow but does a good job of insulating from the cold ground and is very quiet, though I don't move much once set up. Roll-up straps work great for tying onto my pack.
Link Posted: 2/3/2020 11:58:23 PM EDT
[#7]
Triad mat with an army surplus wool blanket
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top