Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/23/2018 2:43:17 AM EDT
Overall I'm not happy with the Shockwave.  Ideally I'd get rid of the short barrel, and rebuild it as a regular shotgun with an 18.5 or 20" barrel.

Anyone else do this?  What's the best way to get rid of the barrel?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:52:02 AM EDT
[#1]
Sell it and buy a regular shotgun?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 2:57:01 AM EDT
[#2]
The point of the shockwave is to give the NFA the middle finger, not to be a super viable gun. It's going to suffer the draw back of any PGO / pgo sbs.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 3:38:13 AM EDT
[#3]
Drop a F1 and see what you think of it?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 4:00:41 AM EDT
[#4]
I already owned a Mossberg 20"/8rnd with a speedfeed birdshead and a Winchester 1300 with a 18.5" barrel and speedfeed birdshead, so it's obvious that I like pgo shotguns.
My 20" mossy takes a bayonet and I wouldn't change a thing, but also being able to have one with a 14" barrel is a win.
No regrets!
ETA: Go buy a $199 Maverick to scratch the regular shotgun itch. If you really hate the shockwave that bad just sell it. Trying to convert it will cost as much as a new gun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 6:48:38 AM EDT
[#5]
I shot my buddy's 12 gauge Tac-14 a couple weeks ago. My hand went flying off the forend out towards the muzzle. I guess I wasn't holding on tight enough. Thankfully I still have all my digits.

I now understand why Mossberg puts the strap on the forend of the Shockwave. The 12 gauge was pretty punishing with full power 2 3/4" 00 buck. Maybe the 20 gauge would be better?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:11:43 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Overall I'm not happy with the Shockwave.  Ideally I'd get rid of the short barrel, and rebuild it as a regular shotgun with an 18.5 or 20" barrel.

View Quote
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:18:43 AM EDT
[#7]
The shockwave is very distinct. If it isn’t your thing, it’ll sell easily.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 7:34:07 AM EDT
[#8]
The one i got to shoot (bird loads) was very uncomfortable. Not a gun for me, but I do think with some practice it can be a very viable defensive weapon. It's still flinging lots of lead in a little package. A laser sight would be terrific on one of these.

Fwiw i have bad hands/wrists, which is likely why it hurt to shoot. I'd still take it over a piss filled super soaker and strong language.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:16:21 AM EDT
[#9]
the brace changes it completely. Recoil is still strong, but controllability and handling are increased tenfold. I got mine to form 1, but after adding the brace, it's complete. A form 1 would not make it better. I was looking at a side folder or speedfeed if I went NFA. The brace is actually better than both.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:46:36 AM EDT
[#10]
I bought it because I wanted it. I don't shoot much shotgun here, as my range is pistol only. I don't have land. I use an SBR for HD and travel. I cleaned it up, showed the wife, ran around the house with it, bought it a case, never fired it, traded it for a pistol. got it cheap so I didn't lose anything, but I didn't need to have it. I will own another eventually/soon because I think they are cool. But I decided I would focus on all my "needs" first. I need carry guns squared away. Have that. need HD rifle ready to go, so I spent the shockwave money on a can. once that's all set up I can get back to fun stuff.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 8:51:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:03:20 AM EDT
[#12]
Personally, I like my 12ga Mossberg Shockwave so much, I have also purched a Shockwave in .410 as well as a Remington TAC-14 in 12ga too.

I would not recommend it to someone as a FIRST firearm or ONLY firearm that fires shotshells but it does have niche uses for experienced shotgunners (not trying to sound Tier-1, just saying).

I mounted a receiver top rail and TLR-8 ligth/laser combo on my 12ga Mossberg Shockwave. Even with the heaviest 3" Magnum loads it is very controllable shooting from the hip or a "low ready" position. It is Very easy to maneuver in tight spaces. I keep the laser adjusted parallel to the bore axis so I always know the muzzle is pointed ~2" below the projected red dot.

My .410 Shockwave is loaded with #9 shot for use against rats and snakes. It shoots so light that I have no problem using a slightly canted cheek weld in order to line up the receiver flat and front bead for a traditional shotgun sight picture.

My Rem.TAC-14 does NOT have a drilled and tapped receiver top (a shame because it would have been so easy to do at the factory) but I am looking into a replacement front cap with an integrated light/laser + 1 extension. I don't know. As is, it balances very well. I may go the "brace" route to turn it into a more handy 12ga. firearm. I haven't decided yet.

These guns are much more than novelties. With a little thought and practice (and maybe a few add-ons) they can serve and excel in very necessary roles.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:22:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

These guns are much more than novelties. With a little thought and practice (and maybe a few add-ons) they can serve and excel in very necessary roles.
View Quote
Indeed. Home defense. Vehicle defense. Dumpster defense/Alley combat.
It just plain works.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:23:39 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:27:32 AM EDT
[#15]
Not at all. It's a very viable weapon. It's not for someone who's not going to practice or can't manage the recoil though.

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:41:07 AM EDT
[#16]
Wait, what?

Why would you not just sell it and buy a vanilla 18 or 20 inch barrel shotgun?

Why not Form 1 it and slap a stock on it?
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:15:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:38:04 AM EDT
[#18]
You have to be shirtless to really enjoy the shockwave
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 12:06:05 PM EDT
[#19]
You could probably trade it straight across for a full size mossberg long gun.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 12:06:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
You have to be shirtless to really enjoy the shockwave
View Quote
I often go commando as well.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 1:51:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

View Quote
You wanted a tac-14.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 4:21:57 PM EDT
[#22]
Honestly the shockwave was my first 12 gauge. Not really recommended I know.
Since then I have purchased a Hawk 982 with ghost ring sights, threw on some magpul furniture, extension, 922r stuff, etc.

I still prefer the stockless 12 gauge. As far as PGO goes. Sounds crazy I know, I just love how short this thing is and the recoil impulse doesn't beat me up.
I did try out a 12 gauge with a standard pistol grip/no stock. You can't really aim down the bead unlike the shockwave.

Quoted:
The point of the shockwave is to give the NFA the middle finger, not to be a super viable gun. It's going to suffer the draw back of any PGO / pgo sbs.
View Quote
Not entirely

The birds head grip works, think of it like a really firm hand shake. The downward angle and the gripping surface manages recoil nicely, and allows you to actually aim down the sight (Reminds me of a Glock Grip Angle).
While a standard more vertical pistol grip is like having a soy boy half ass hand shake/grip. The gun pushes straight back and the wrist tries to fight the recoil by staying straight. There is also less gripping surface on these types of grips. The hogue ones aren't bad, but the angle still can be a pain.

Bring the shockwave up to normal/eye shooting level. Push away with your support hand on the fore-grip while pulling back with a firm grip on the birdhead grip. You can actually aim with the bead/sight/rmr or whatever. The recoil impulse will cause the grip to travel slightly downward, not straight back. I haven't even come close to smacking myself with it. With a normal pistol grip it will probably happen.

I don't even want the brace, it's really compact and my shoulder doesn't feel beat to crap after putting rounds down range.

Majority of my rounds through it have been slugs.

Low recoil slugs/buckshot are nice for this. In fact my defense load is  Remington Managed Recoil 00 Buck (I have the slugs too)

Aguila Minishells are fun, you can actually shoot those one handed without cutting yourself on the safety.

I went from a laser-> red dot-> just a front sight.

A laser is a good way to get comfortable with this thing and get some practice until you are confident with aiming down the bead/sight.

I tried to keep it simple/steam-lined. Once you get the shooting technique down, it's a nice tool to have.

YMMV though, I'm a bigger guy and my upper body strength is good to go. If you have arthritus or tendon issues this might not be for you.

I did pick up the 410 version and my first reaction was "Awww It's so cute/tiny!" That might be a good option for those who are recoil sensitive or if you can't control the 12 gauge. 410 rifled slugs would still be no joke. I sorta want one.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:15:54 PM EDT
[#23]
WOW I just read the back story regarding that .gif. What a fucked-up display of stupidity from all involved.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 9:31:23 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

WOW I just read the back story regarding that .gif. What a fucked-up display of stupidity from all involved.
View Quote
Doc Hollandaise and Wyatt Burp do not deserve to be besmirched for their part in the shootout at the Golden Corral.

That orange shirt fuck had mental issues. They're just 2 noble men shirtless men, willing to defend their dumpster.
If they're willing to defend a dumpster to the death, imagine what they would do at the border with the wave of intruders headed our way?...
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:25:13 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I shot my buddy's 12 gauge Tac-14 a couple weeks ago. My hand went flying off the forend out towards the muzzle. I guess I wasn't holding on tight enough. Thankfully I still have all my digits. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

I now understand why Mossberg puts the strap on the forend of the Shockwave. The 12 gauge was pretty punishing with full power 2 3/4" 00 buck. Maybe the 20 gauge would be better?
View Quote
I'm dumbfounded by people who choose looks over safety !!! I needs to keep me hands fo late night use !!
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:38:56 PM EDT
[#26]
The strap on the Shockwave has issues.  I removed it one time and the threads in the plastic for one of the screws got destroyed.  It should really be bolted in there, not just have screws.  And the strap itself has sharp squared off edges.  Also the fact that you need to put your hand through a strap in the first place is annoying.
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 10:57:05 PM EDT
[#27]
It was cheap, I had no expectations, haven't even shot it. Don't care.

eta- looking forward to shooting it, good size for vehicle and other close quarters areas.

maybe make a good hiker
Link Posted: 10/23/2018 11:02:48 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
It was cheap, I had no expectations, haven't even shot it. Don't care.

eta- looking forward to shooting it, good size for vehicle and other close quarters areas.

maybe make a good hiker
View Quote
Actually it would be pretty good if a snake comes at you.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 3:08:15 AM EDT
[#29]
If you add a brace it makes a world of difference at least for me.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:54:12 PM EDT
[#30]
Sold mine and got a Remington 1100. I like the shockwave, but I wanted something that was easier to shoot heavy loads with. The shockwave has one thing over an 18” pump with folding stock - length. Much shorter, easier to discreetly carry. I had my shockwave for a couple of years and never utilized that, so I sold it for a gun that is more capable of doing what I want, which is mostly small game hunting/outdoor defense.
Link Posted: 10/24/2018 6:56:46 PM EDT
[#31]
SBA3 it, its the only way to be sure.  >14" defensive shotgun barrels are for the birds.
Link Posted: 10/28/2018 10:34:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Bought mine as a 'fuck you' to the NFA.

Had a hard time finding a use and sold it shortly after.

Now I regret selling it and am tempted to get another.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 9:32:57 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
View Quote
+1. I put a SB3 on mine and its really nice now.

IMO the SB3 brace is the only viable one for the SW.
Link Posted: 10/30/2018 11:27:07 PM EDT
[#34]
I was not sure I'd like the Shockwave as I do not like pistol grip shotguns.  So I bought a used shockwave grip from EE and put into a 18.5 PG barrel mossberg.  I was right did not like it any better that pistol grip version.  I put regular stock back on the SGN and sold the shockwave grip on EE.  Was out $5 on the experiment
Link Posted: 10/31/2018 10:32:23 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
I shot my buddy's 12 gauge Tac-14 a couple weeks ago. My hand went flying off the forend out towards the muzzle. I guess I wasn't holding on tight enough. Thankfully I still have all my digits. https://www.ar15.com/images/smilies/smiley_abused.gif

View Quote
 Relax, your hand flew off due to the recoil. Once the gun has recoiled the shot is out of the barrel faster than your hand could ever move to past the end of the barrel. Definitely an "oh shit" moment but that is all.

I absolutely love mine. Once I put a laser on it, it became the most fun gun I own and made it nothing to laugh at as a home defense weapon.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 12:44:37 AM EDT
[#36]
Does everyone on here own just one shotgun or none before getting a shockwave?

Go to Wal-Mart and buy some tennis racket tape for $3 and wrap the grip.
Link Posted: 11/1/2018 1:48:08 AM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I had an original SB Tac brace laying around and I put it on my Tac 14.

Quoted:

I used to own more shotguns than anything else. So I my Tac 14 is not my first, or my last.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 4:06:40 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View Quote
I've had 5 Mossbergs, 1 870, and 1 Benelli before the Shockwave. I stippled the grip on mine.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 12:49:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
Baloney. The NFA gave the Second Amendment the middle finger.

The Shockwave is exceptionally easy to wield and shoot at the overwhelming majority of home defense ranges if you have adult male strength and practice once in a while.

If you can't point shoot (I can from the hip) then put a laser on it.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 10:50:47 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:

Baloney. The NFA gave the Second Amendment the middle finger.

The Shockwave is exceptionally easy to wield and shoot at the overwhelming majority of home defense ranges if you have adult male strength and practice once in a while.

If you can't point shoot (I can from the hip) then put a laser on it.
View Quote
I was always pretty good at point shooting shotguns but the shorter length of the Shockwave made it harder to see in my peripheral vision, so I got a laser to  bridge the gap.
Link Posted: 11/3/2018 11:20:20 PM EDT
[#41]
Okay I sold the Shockwave.

I picked up one of these to replace it.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/4/2018 11:17:26 PM EDT
[#42]
Attachment Attached File

Picked this one up today at gun show.
20 gauge. Ordered a case of buckshot and some slugs from SG.
Lots of time behind 12 gauge full size guns and have a few in the safe.
I think this has potential and the wife might actually shoot it.

Edit because original photo was huge.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:15:44 AM EDT
[#43]
I did a kind of shotgun range day the other day. Took a shockwave, a tac 14 and a few regular shoulder fired shotguns. Man, I forgot how hard a shotgun kicks! My shoulder still hurts. I've learned how to hold the shockwave up to look down the beed and I'm at the point where I wish all of my shotguns were shockwave/tac 14 style. I can shoot the shockwave all day pain free.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 10:51:21 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
I did a kind of shotgun range day the other day. Took a shockwave, a tac 14 and a few regular shoulder fired shotguns. Man, I forgot how hard a shotgun kicks! My shoulder still hurts. I've learned how to hold the shockwave up to look down the beed and I'm at the point where I wish all of my shotguns were shockwave/tac 14 style. I can shoot the shockwave all day pain free.
View Quote
I doubt it.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:35:00 AM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
I doubt it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I doubt it.
I've put more than 200rds of mixed field/buck (about 50/50) through one of my Shockwaves in a single range trip w/no discomfort. Technique is everything.

Tomac
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 11:39:52 AM EDT
[#46]
Buy a $50 hogue short LOP stock and SBS that thing.
E-File Form 1 is taking less than a month.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 3:35:00 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I doubt it.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I doubt it.
Why?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 5:16:04 PM EDT
[#48]
I regret mine, even though I sold it. It reminded me that I like shotguns, and shorter is better, but real stocks kick ass. so the shockwave I sold before I shot it cost me a $200 stamp, $35 for SS to e file for me, $120 in magpul stamps, potentially a chunk of change to cut it down.... damnit...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top