Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/3/2018 10:28:46 PM EDT
I have a 9mm pistol on my nightstand, and I have a a shockwave. I’ve read here that it isn’t the best home defense weapon. But nobody says why.
My hall from my room to the kitchen is about 70 feet, 00 buck would be pretty close to perfect in this case I would think.

Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:40:28 PM EDT
[#1]
Yes I wouldn’t want to be on the other end of that hallway with you shooting your shockwave down it. People who talk trash have never used them.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 10:54:50 PM EDT
[#2]
If you've got the 12 ga, I would suggest low recoil LE loads.  If 20 ga, 2&3/4".  No 1 buck in both instances.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:12:11 PM EDT
[#3]
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fM_sqSTg2v8

Blast, excessive blast grab and:

"KEEP the gun away from your face!"
"KEEP your hand in that strap!"

70 ' is far far for 8 pellets spreading fast out of  14" barrel

Great Video; great gun you need to be able to have technique down cold, in the dark, both hands, no ear protection.

I have the 500 Moss.  18" barrel, love it,   but 75 ft is the max for me with #1 or 00.

Good luck with the Shockwave you are going to get.
Link Posted: 2/3/2018 11:51:08 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
I have a 9mm pistol on my nightstand, and I have a a shockwave. I’ve read here that it isn’t the best home defense weapon. But nobody says why.
My hall from my room to the kitchen is about 70 feet, 00 buck would be pretty close to perfect in this case I would think.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175733/15FB8A6B-D4A9-48E2-A365-81E51AE1A8C3-440727.jpg
View Quote
Let's say a bad guy with a gun is prowling through your home hoping to kill you. You know it's an invader, and he thiks you are asleep. You see him step across the entrance, sideways from your view. In the very low light, you squeese a shot off aiming across his shoulders and upper chest. Which do you want him to get hit with, a 9mm bullet, or 9 pellets or 00 buckshot? I, for one, would want the buckshot to rip through his bones and vitals causing massive damage. Also note that in my example of 10 yards, your pattern could be 5-7inches wide, increasing chances of hitting the spine or other vitals.

I'd make sure you pattern the loads at 15, 30, 45, 60, 75 feet so you know how quickly your pattern spreads out.

Regarding the idea that the Shockwave isn't as great for home defense, I think those comments you have read are comparing the shockwave to a full stock short tactical shotgun. I think in general once in a fight a full stock shotgun is better but it doesn't mean the shockwave is horrible either. The nitch of the shockwave is it fits in tiny places and has disproportionate firepower compared to its size.

I'd probably use plated 00 but the number of projectiles in 16 pellet #1 buck would make it tempting as well. I would take the shockwave with any buckshot over 9mm though, it isn't even a close call to me.

There will be those that disagree with me, but if someone is ever kicking your door in at 3am you will feel good knowing the brutal destruction that 00 will do to them if they get inside.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 12:29:12 AM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes I wouldn’t want to be on the other end of that hallway with you shooting your shockwave down it. People who talk trash have never used them.
View Quote
This/FPNI.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 3:29:34 AM EDT
[#6]
70 feet? That's a long assed hallway! I got one specifically for home defense. Our house has an addition on it adding a whole new (top)floor. The addition makes things awkward at best for clearing from the top down. My rifles and my 590 were all too long to manuever because of the low ceiling over the stairs combined with the railing. I figured I was stuck using a pistol til the Shockwave came out. As far as I'm concerned it's perfect for my house.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:36:39 AM EDT
[#7]
At 70 feet maximum length, the Federal low recoil shot cups would be less than filling the upper torso of an upright adult. It is tight but I have seen an rare flyer in patterning. Other buffer-only loads would cover a greater area, best care of 50% in the torso and the rest in walls, ceiling, etc. each gun patterns differently, so really urge you test this out.

I have tried the home clearing with a Shockwave.
The Shockwaves pretty much only work with a weapon-mounted flashlight. I could not figure out another method holding a flashlight.
Shockwaves are also less than optimal for one handed use in opening doors and such. The stocked shotgun has an advantage there.
That said, the Shockwave as a striking device is a pretty awesome tool.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:45:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I bought the short model “had to special order” 590A1 for that role. I have a long hallway too almost 90 feet.
I need to adjust the ghost rings for windage next range trip.
I chose the Federal flite control 15 pellet #1 buck load.
It patterns beautifully at 30 yards with a cylinder bore choke.

I think about 8” if I remember right

To me a full short stock tactical shotgun with a short barrel would be better than a shockwave.....
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 5:04:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I bought the short model “had to special order” 590A1 for that role. I have a long hallway too almost 90 feet.
I need to adjust the ghost rings for windage next range trip.
I chose the Federal flite control 15 pellet #1 buck load.
It patterns beautifully at 30 yards with a cylinder bore choke.

I think about 8” if I remember right

To me a full short stock tactical shotgun with a short barrel would be better than a shockwave.....
View Quote
In my cylinder choke it patterns around 6in at 25yds I think, and the 3in 00 thats faster still seems to partern the same. I like a spread but it would be very interesting to see how it patterns with the Shockwave, I heard the short barrels affect patterns more below 9in. Will be fun when I get my own shockwave to test it on.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 5:49:37 PM EDT
[#10]
The myth (derived from fact) is that short bbl shotguns open up more than full-bbl shotguns.  Insofar that is true is b/c folks would saw off the end of the bbl w/ the choke.  Now you have a cylinder bore shotgun.  The patterns open up quite a bit if you sawed off full chokes.

Have a Shockwave bbl threaded for choke tubes, throw in a full or Turkey extra full, it will throw as tight a spread as any other shotgun w/ that tube.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 8:57:00 PM EDT
[#11]
Putting a laser on it seems like a gimmick but it makes aiming it so much easier when you don't have to have it punched out in front of your face. I can make easy hits at 25 yards with slugs since I put it on.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:10:14 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for all y’alls replys! The hall after looking isn’t 70 ft.  but I do have a light for it and I feel that I can hold my own .
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:16:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Putting a laser on it seems like a gimmick but it makes aiming it so much easier when you don't have to have it punched out in front of your face. I can make easy hits at 25 yards with slugs since I put it on.
View Quote
It isn't difficult to think of several scenarios where it might not be ideal to thrust the gun out in front of you to look over the front sight.

The laser adds options, and options are good.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 9:47:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seems a red dot on them would work very well as well.
Link Posted: 2/4/2018 11:41:32 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
View Quote
I doubt it wouuld work as well as the laser. The red dot would still require you to hold it out in front of your face. The laser lets you accurately shoot from the hip. The 25 yard shots that are so easy to make with slugs were from the hip. It allows me to keep the gun close in taking full advantage of it's short length. I do realize the laser works two ways but it really makes a big difference for getting that stubby bastard on target.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 12:19:21 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/175733/15FB8A6B-D4A9-48E2-A365-81E51AE1A8C3-440727.jpg
View Quote
im sure the picture isnt as accurate as being there but I really doubt thats70 ft based on the number of doorways.

75ft = 25yds, which happens to be the distance I do all my pattern testing at. My place is long and narrow and I do in fact have 25yds from end to end. But that's up against my bedroom wall, down the hall all the way to the railing on the deck. Not a likely scenario. But, by practicing at 25yds I get a good idea of what my ammo is doing.
The best of the bunch from a recent ammo test is the Federal Premium 00 9-pellet low recoil with flite control.
Fired from both my 870s at 3" stickers. just inside a 10" pattern each

Now, I'm doing this with two shoulder fired 18" shotguns. When I practice the Rob Haught push+pull technique with the stock resting against the side of my bicep, for maximum reduction in length, I find it much more difficult to aim at 25yds. But I wouldn't be employing the technique at that distance.
Never having fired a shockwave type setup I have no idea how I'd handle it, but in watching people fire buckshot out if it, the recoil looks to still exist, so I'd have to avoid the urge to hold it up to eye level and get whacked in the face.
As much as I want the novelty of a short barreled shotgun, I can't picture the scenario where'd I'd rather have it over my regular 870s, or a handgun with a wml for that matter.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 3:53:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:02:21 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I doubt it wouuld work as well as the laser. The red dot would still require you to hold it out in front of your face. The laser lets you accurately shoot from the hip. The 25 yard shots that are so easy to make with slugs were from the hip. It allows me to keep the gun close in taking full advantage of it's short length. I do realize the laser works two ways but it really makes a big difference for getting that stubby bastard on target.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Makes sense.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:06:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 4:13:29 PM EDT
[#20]
The Pistol Grip Only Shotgun - The Perfect Home Defense Tool?

I own one as a range toy. It truly needs a stamp and a stock for home defense.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 7:10:25 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

A shockwave is never going to be as easy to get on target or use in rapid fashion as a shotgun with a proper stock.

This is not to say that it cannot be used effectively.

I think that the Shockwave is an excellent application for a visible laser. One of the green Crimson Trace units can be very effective if trained with properly.

It's the whole "if trained with properly" thing that tends to get in the way. If you have good technique the shockwave style guns won't beat you up. Most people do not know how to run the gun properly so they won't find shooting these to be particularly enjoyable...certainly not enough to train with them.

I'm in the process of acquiring a Mossberg shockwave as we speak because A.) I can get one stupid cheap through a hookup B.) Since I teach shotgun it's going to come up.

I plan to equip mine with an XS replacement sight and then I'm going to play with a laser to see what I can really do with it.

I would likely have no problem using the gun for home defense if I had to. In fact, one of the attractions to having the Shockwave is that I can have a snub-nosed 12 gauge that will fit in a suitcase when I travel. Great for those occasions when I'm in a hotel room or in my grandmother's terrible neighborhood filled with felons.

But...and this is a big but...I'm good with a shotgun. I've spent a lot of time learning to use one in a defensive context and I have solid technique. Since I'm better than the average bear with a scattergun I can take the performance hit of losing the stock and still be effective at the kind of distances such a thing is going to be used. That may not be the case for everyone else.

So the answer comes down to this: Sure, you can use it IF you train with it. Or IF you already have a significant level of training on running the shotgun properly. If it's your first foray into using a shotgun as a home defense weapon it's probably not the right solution for you.

Shotguns are the most lethally damaging weapon available to us. To get something more destructive on a per-shot basis than a proper load of buckshot at close range we have to start talking about ordnance.

...but shotguns aren't magic. We have to actually hit a dude in something important for all that power to do us any good. It's considerably more difficult to do that without a stock on the shotgun.
View Quote
Well said. I grew up shooting shotguns at skeet, trap, birds, bunnies, etc. I am very good with one, and I didn't shoot my first AR until after college really. They are really good weapons with a good bit of power, and in the right hands they can be useful. I don't know why this site is so anti-shotgun except that maybe it's not cool? I don't know. but I wouldn't hate on a shotgun, stocked or not if you're decent and practice with it.

I want a shockwave, and I will buy one. I'm not going to use it for HD for me, because I have a young son. So I need to open doors, move things, maybe grab him, and I can do all that while holding an SBR in one hand. But as a hole up and watch weapon? awesome.

18" shotguns with no choke and no flight control spread (on average) about an inch a yard. so in my house I don't have more than 10 yards in any one direction, so a COM should put almost all pellets on target. A 00 buck pellet is about 38 caliber, and moves about as fast as a 9mm round. so if I was to hit COM with a good load of 00 it's the ballistic equivalent of hitting a guy with every single round in my carry shield 9mm at the same time. We all agree 9mm is sufficient, I'm at a loss why bigger stuff is no good.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:29:13 PM EDT
[#22]
To be completely honest, I wore out the original battery playing with the damn thing. However it wasn't a wasted battery. The more I played with it the easier it was getting to be on target when the laser turned on. Also if I have to point the gun in some strange direction where I can't eyeball it to aim it correctly the laser will still show me where that buck is going to go.
Link Posted: 2/5/2018 11:33:31 PM EDT
[#23]
The laser is hard to see outside unless you're in the shade or it is really cloudy. So I went to the range on a cloudy day and shot the shit out of the plate rack as fast as I could pump with the Shockwave. It is my honest opinion that getting a good laser is the single most useful and fun upgrade that can be put on a Shockwave/Tac-14.
ETA: And making the bird's head grippier.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 5:49:29 AM EDT
[#24]
I picked up my Shockwave as a range toy. However, several hundred rds later and it's now my go-to bedroom gun w/a 9mm backup (btw, all handguns are relatively poor 'stoppers' regardless of caliber or bullet used).
My household ranges aren't anywhere near that long so I opted for the S&B #1 Buck load, pattern is appx 15"@20yds.
I was surprised how manageable recoil is when using proper technique.

Tomac

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 11:53:58 AM EDT
[#25]
While you CAN employ a Shockwave-style gun in home defense, there are just so many BETTER options out there.

and I really like my home built Shockwave (Raptor grip on a Mossberg PGO before it was a factory offering) and my Rem.TAC-14. They are fun guns and I am getting pretty good at hitting targets without a traditional sight picture. There are also some definite advantages in a close quarters environment wielding it as a weapon like that. Still, my AR is my goto weapon for things that go bump in the night. In every category the home defense rifle cartridge carbine beats a shotgun of any type.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 12:17:14 PM EDT
[#26]
@sixnine

What kind of laser are you using?

Any pics?
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 2:08:42 PM EDT
[#27]
The General Discussion "Cool Kids" have determined that shotguns are completely useless for home defense.

End of story.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:08:29 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
@sixnine

What kind of laser are you using?

Any pics?
View Quote
The CMR-206, it's a green multi purpose laser from Ceimson Trace. I think just about everybody got the same one. Put a cheap rail to on the receiver then mount the laser as far back as you can. As you push the safety forward to take it off safe you simply keep moving your thumb forward until it hits the switch on the laser.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:11:21 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:14:37 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
The General Discussion "Cool Kids" have determined that shotguns are completely useless for home defense.

End of story.
View Quote
Yep, literally worst weapon possible I have been told.

And dont forget, harder to double tap the bad guy too!
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:18:26 PM EDT
[#31]

Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:19:23 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

End of story.

It sure saves us from all that pesky thinking for ourselves and all.  
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:37:47 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 6:44:39 PM EDT
[#34]
Have you tried it on multiple targets?

I'm really curious to see someone wring one of these out.

F.A.S.T., El Pres, or a Bil drill.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#35]
Anyone using a light on one? Curious on what the best set up would be.
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:57:03 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
That looks like the way to go. How is it on your thumb?
View Quote
No issues
Link Posted: 2/6/2018 8:59:40 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Have you tried it on multiple targets?

I'm really curious to see someone wring one of these out.

F.A.S.T., El Pres, or a Bil drill.
View Quote
Just goofing around on a plate rack. I haven't run any drills with it or anything. If the laser is easy to see you can go as fast as you want.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 8:39:31 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
View Quote
Seconded. I'm SBS'ing mine and am looking for ideas.
Link Posted: 2/7/2018 9:08:42 AM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
View Quote
In my pic posted above I have a lightweight/low-profile 20 lumen MFT Torch.
In the middle of the night w/my eyes adjusted to the dark it's more than sufficient for my needs. However, I also have a Streamlight RM-1 (140 or 350 lumens depending upon battery type used) that works just as well but isn't as low-profile.

Tomac
Link Posted: 2/13/2018 12:28:49 PM EDT
[#40]
The Shockwave is 'wieldy". As in the opposite of unwieldy.

Hickok45 is surgical with it.

Federal 34 pellet 4 buck personal defense is impressive in this video. It's right after he nails two 2 liters with slugs.

Shockwave with slugs then 4 buck Hickok45
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:23:44 AM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
The Shockwave is 'wieldy". As in the opposite of unwieldy.

Hickok45 is surgical with it.

Federal 34 pellet 4 buck personal defense is impressive in this video. It's right after he nails two 2 liters with slugs.

Shockwave with slugs then 4 buck Hickok45
View Quote
See how long he took though? With the laser that happens a whole lot quicker.
Link Posted: 2/15/2018 10:56:15 AM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
View Quote
I installed a Streamlight TLR-2 (light/laser combo) on a gun I built up with a Raptor grip and a Mossberg factory PGO with the barrel cut back to ~15.5". The difference though was the longer mag tube gave me an inch and a half of real estate to mount the rail/light. The factory Shockwave leaves no room to mount a rail on the magtube or the barrel.

I have been looking at the SureFire integrated light/forend (linky to Amazon) set-ups but they are expensive and everyone I have ever met you worked for SureFire was a complete DICK, so that too.
Link Posted: 2/18/2018 11:43:22 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
The myth (derived from fact) is that short bbl shotguns open up more than full-bbl shotguns.  Insofar that is true is b/c folks would saw off the end of the bbl w/ the choke.  Now you have a cylinder bore shotgun.  The patterns open up quite a bit if you sawed off full chokes.

Have a Shockwave bbl threaded for choke tubes, throw in a full or Turkey extra full, it will throw as tight a spread as any other shotgun w/ that tube.
View Quote
This is what I would do, it's not that expensive.  I've had Mike Orlen* thread a couple of factory cylinder bores and it made a huge difference- it was even more noticeable on some previously chopped down barrels which had been near worthless.  I think a full or turkey choke is tighter than I'd want for this application though; I keep an improved in my H&R tractor gun.

Whatever you decide, you need to pattern it with a couple of loads and decide what works best for you.

* No affiliation other than being satisfied with the work and the quick turn around times.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top