Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/14/2019 1:01:42 AM EDT
When I read UPS and Fedex rules for shipping firearms they say it must be done overnight or next day air, which is very expensive (over 100-200 for a handgun) yet everyone quotes 25-40 for ground (as on GB)?  The last time I went to Fedex and told them it was a handgun they didn't make me ship that way and let me do ground?

Any thoughts?

Edit ( I am an FFL, does that make a difference)?
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 1:34:45 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
When I read UPS and Fedex rules for shipping firearms they say it must be done overnight or next day air, which is very expensive (over 100-200 for a handgun) yet everyone quotes 25-40 for ground (as on GB)?  The last time I went to Fedex and told them it was a handgun they didn't make me ship that way and let me do ground?

Any thoughts?

View Quote
UPS/FedEx make up their own rules.  Never use a UPS Store, always got to a hub or main depot office.  FFL's can ship through USPS (USPS rule).  Most dealers have a UPS/FedEx account and print their own labels, so they can ship whatever they want, as fast as they want.  There is no ATF rule that says a handgun must be shipped overnight...its a UPS/FedEx rule.

I've used www.shipmygun.com several times, many handguns.  Never costs over $45.
Link Posted: 9/14/2019 1:37:14 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

UPS/FedEx make up their own rules.  Never use a UPS Store, always got to a hub or main depot office.  FFL's can ship through USPS (USPS rule).  Most dealers have a UPS/FedEx account and print their own labels, so they can ship whatever they want, as fast as they want.  There is no ATF rule that says a handgun must be shipped overnight...its a UPS/FedEx rule.

I've used www.shipmygun.com several times, many handguns.  Never costs over $45.
View Quote
Thanks for the info.
Link Posted: 9/15/2019 9:41:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Any thoughts?

View Quote

FFL's can ship handguns using USPS.  Flat rate boxes will be your friend.  Order the regional FRB's online at USPS.com - a handgun that fits in  Regional A can go cross-country for under $12 (cost w/o insurance).

Just remember to submit a USPS 1508 when you mail a handgun.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 2:00:14 PM EDT
[#4]
USPS you must acknowledge that your are shipping a firearm
FFL holders and Private Parties can ship Long Guns to FFL's via USPS
FFL holders only can ship handguns to FFL's via USPS
Usually done in person at post office with a copy of the destination FFL
For FFL holders prolly the cheapest way to ship handguns.

Common Carrier (UPS and Fedex)
FFL holders and Private Parties can ship long guns via ground all the way up to next day air.
If you do not have daily pick up account, but you have an online account some suggest print out and label package and drop off at UPS Store/Fedex Kinkos or give to a driver.
Preferred method especially with items over $1000 insured value is to drop off at a UPS service center.
Or you can go direct to a UPS service center and ship through them. Have the paper work to show it is going to an FFL.
FFL holders and Private Parties (per UPS and Fedex rule) have to ship handguns Next Day Air.  
Some suggest flat out lying about what is in the package.  The problem with lying.......is that if a claim has to be filed.....that could leave you holding the bag!
UPS and FEDEX also require Adult Signatures Required that is extra.  And, boxes over 48in in length get charged a surcharge, and during prime shipping time UPS ups the
charges even more.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 2:11:15 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

Any thoughts?

View Quote

Why ask for our thoughts when you can read it direct from UPS/FedEx/USPS?
UPS rules on shipping firearms
FedEx rules on shipping firearms You'll have to use drop down to "Firearms". Note that "Ground" does not permit shipping handguns.
USPS Regulations on shipping firearms Sections 431, 432, 433(violate and its a crime)
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 2:16:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
FFL's can ship through USPS (USPS rule).  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
FFL's can ship through USPS (USPS rule).  
ANYONE can ship rifles or shotguns via USPS.

Most dealers have a UPS/FedEx account and print their own labels, so they can ship whatever they want, as fast as they want.  
Well. wrong.
Simply having a UPS/FedEx account doesn't mean I can violate the carriers tariff. If a shipper violates the tariff, the carrier will deny any claim for loss, damage, theft, etc.

There is no ATF rule that says a handgun must be shipped overnight...its a UPS/FedEx rule.  
Correct.

I ship handguns USPS nearly everyday for significantly less......usually about $30-35 (insured/adult sig/my fee)
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 2:36:35 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Not true. Only dealers must submit a USPS Form 1508 when shipping a firearm other than a rifle or shotgun.
If asked "are you shipping a firearm" you should not lie, but there is no regulation that requires you volunteer that information on a rifle or shotgun.

FFL holders and Private Parties can ship Long Guns to FFL's via USPS
Actually, anyone can mail a rifle or shotgun to an FFL in any state or to a nonlicensee in your own state.

FFL holders only can ship handguns to FFL's via USPS
Wrong. An FFL can ship handguns via USPS/UPS/FedEx.

Usually done in person at post office with a copy of the destination FFL
No USPS regulation requires submitting an FFL to the post office. In fact it would be impossible if you are mailing a rifle/shotgun intrastate from one nonlicensee to another nonlicensee.

For FFL holders prolly the cheapest way to ship handguns.
Cheapest depends on volume.
For huge accounts like Bud's or PSA.....UPS Next Day rates are lower because they ship more firearms every day than I do in a year.
For your typical gun store, as noted above......USPS Flat Rate or Regional Flat Rate is cheaper than UPS Next Day or FedEx Overnight.

Common Carrier (UPS and Fedex)
FFL holders and Private Parties can ship long guns via ground all the way up to next day air.
If you do not have daily pick up account, but you have an online account some suggest print out and label package and drop off at UPS Store/Fedex Kinkos or give to a driver.
Absolutely wrong.
Please read the UPS link I posted above. UPS specifically says do not drop off at a UPS Store (they are franchisees, not company owned).
FedEx allows drop off only from FedEx Office locations (because they are company owned. Kinkos went out of business in 2004 and FedEx quit using "FedEx Kinkos" in 2008.

Preferred method especially with items over $1000 insured value is to drop off at a UPS service center.
Not "preferred", but required.....fir all UPS firearm shipments.

Or you can go direct to a UPS service center and ship through them. Have the paper work to show it is going to an FFL.
Where are you getting your info? I ask because there are no USPS/UPS/FedEx requirements to show them a copy of anyone's FFL.

FFL holders and Private Parties (per UPS and Fedex rule) have to ship handguns Next Day Air.  
"Next Day" is a UPS service. (and you can also use Next Day Air Saver)
FedEx requires handguns be shipped Overnight.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 6:12:36 PM EDT
[#8]
DogtownTom has helped clear up what the rules actually are (and provided the links to read the rules for yourself).

How I most often ship guns as a FFL is sending handguns via USPS Priority Mail and long guns via FedEx Ground.  Both services have been fairly convenient and reliable for me.

When I drop off handguns to ship at the Post Office, I bring two copies of the PS 1508 with me.  Years ago, I read a "tip" somewhere that was completely anecdotal and not required by any regulation to have the postal clerk stamp and sign two copies and I give one to them and keep the other copy for myself.  The idea was that if there was an issue with the shipment and a claim was needed, there was no way the post office could deny a claim by saying that a form had not been filed or couldn't be found.  I have never had an issue but the idea sounded like reasonable advice and is no extra work for me so I thought I would pass it on.  Besides, if you did ever need to file a postal claim on a firearm, a copy of the PS Form 1508 is indeed required to submit the claim ( https://about.usps.com/publications/pub122/pub122_v07_revision_092016_013.htm ) and I would rather not rely on the post office clerk to hopefully find their copy for me.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 7:35:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When I drop off handguns to ship at the Post Office, I bring two copies of the PS 1508 with me.  Years ago, I read a "tip" somewhere that was completely anecdotal and not required by any regulation to have the postal clerk stamp and sign two copies and I give one to them and keep the other copy for myself.  The idea was that if there was an issue with the shipment and a claim was needed, there was no way the post office could deny a claim by saying that a form had not been filed or couldn't be found.  I have never had an issue but the idea sounded like reasonable advice and is no extra work for me so I thought I would pass it on.  Besides, if you did ever need to file a postal claim on a firearm, a copy of the PS Form 1508 is indeed required to submit the claim ( https://about.usps.com/publications/pub122/pub122_v07_revision_092016_013.htm ) and I would rather not rely on the post office clerk to hopefully find their copy for me.
View Quote
The 1508 is only required for a claim on a handgun.  I've successfully had claims paid out for long guns damaged in shipping and I did not file a 1508.

Yes keeping your own copy is a very good idea.
Link Posted: 9/16/2019 7:56:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
The 1508 is only required for a claim on a handgun.  I've successfully had claims paid out for long guns damaged in shipping and I did not file a 1508.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Form 1508 submitted with the claim does not need to be a copy of the original, nor is it required to be stamped. They just want another one because paperwork is awesome.

A Form 1508 is not to be used for rifles or shotguns.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 12:41:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I just spent $60 shipping a Shotgun priority mail with $1000 insurance.  There's got to be a cheaper way.  Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 1:09:06 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I just spent $60 shipping a Shotgun priority mail with $1000 insurance.  There's got to be a cheaper way.  Thoughts?
View Quote
FedEx Ground. No Insurance.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 2:42:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Here is the problem people
LEARN TO READ

First of all UPS and FEDEX have premium charges for packages longer than 48 inches that drives up the price, too.  And, during the holiday season it was extra charge on top of the regular charge
If you fail to acknowledge the contents it may well lead to trouble with any claims on insured items!
If you fail to use proper shipping method it may well lead to trouble with with any claims on insured items.

UPS drivers hand walks all packages insured over $1000 to a supervisor along with the extra paper work.

You can do dumb things by not following the carrier's rules and perhaps get away with crap.  
But what happens when you need to file a claim?  YOU LIED!

Yes people get labels mailed to them from manufacturers and a list of nearest drop off point....UPS Stores and Fedex at Kinkos.  So people with their own accounts do the same darn thing!

Large OEM and Large Distributors have way better shipping contracts that Joe Schmoe!  And, some switch vendors depending on how sweet of deal they get.  Hornady has swapped back and forth from UPS to FEDEX over the years.  Crow used to used Speedy for those in their service area.  Now, it is Fedex with Speedy as an after thought.
Link Posted: 1/17/2020 8:30:48 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote
How long was the box?  Over 48" and shipping gets a little spendy.  Over 52" and it gets real spendy.

Some FFL's use their business insurance for coverage of shipped firearms rather than pay USPS's insurance rates.
Link Posted: 1/18/2020 12:49:04 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
How long was the box?  Over 48" and shipping gets a little spendy.  Over 52" and it gets real spendy.

Some FFL's use their business insurance for coverage of shipped firearms rather than pay USPS's insurance rates.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It was 49".  Insurance was $14.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top