Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/16/2018 12:50:51 AM EDT
Hello,

I had a couple questions about shipping firearms across state boarders using FFL services. I am new to this and I have spent the better part of today calling FFL holders in both states to get information and at this point I feel as if I have received some conflicting information, and I just wanted to verify if the I am correct on the process.

I live in Illinois and have a valid FOID card. I need to get 2 firearms from here to Texas. I nor the person that I need to get them to holds an FFL Obviously there are several options, but shipping it has boiled down to the best option.

So is my take on the process and my question...  I have 2 firearms that are registered to the owner who now lives in Texas.

From what I have gathered, I take them to a local FFL holder and pay all the fees. Who provides the information of the FFL holder in the destination location, me or does that request need to be processed by or through the receiver?

So let’s assume the firearms are now in transit to Texas. I was also told that Texas Law requires the person picking up to have a valid Texas ID or DL. They do, so no issue there. The person picking up will pay the fees, go through a background check and upon passing, get their firearms.

Now this seems simple. Is this all there is to it?

The conflicting information I received came from when I called the FFL holder in Texas for information and they said that the person who requests the transfer (is this me or them?) has to be the person to pick up the firearms at the destination.

If I have this process correct, can someone just clarify who is “requesting the transfer”.

If I, the shipper, also have to be the receiver, this obviously defeats the purpose. In this case how can I legally get these from Illinois to Texas via FFL holder services?

Thank you for any advice and assistance!
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 12:57:16 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 3:56:56 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Hello,

I had a couple questions about shipping firearms across state boarders using FFL services. I am new to this and I have spent the better part of today calling FFL holders in both states to get information and at this point I feel as if I have received some conflicting information, and I just wanted to verify if the I am correct on the process.

I live in Illinois and have a valid FOID card. I need to get 2 firearms from here to Texas. I nor the person that I need to get them to holds an FFL Obviously there are several options, but shipping it has boiled down to the best option.

So is my take on the process and my question...  I have 2 firearms that are registered to the owner who now lives in Texas.

From what I have gathered, I take them to a local FFL holder and pay all the fees. Who provides the information of the FFL holder in the destination location, me or does that request need to be processed by or through the receiver?

So let’s assume the firearms are now in transit to Texas. I was also told that Texas Law requires the person picking up to have a valid Texas ID or DL. They do, so no issue there. The person picking up will pay the fees, go through a background check and upon passing, get their firearms.

Now this seems simple. Is this all there is to it?

The conflicting information I received came from when I called the FFL holder in Texas for information and they said that the person who requests the transfer (is this me or them?) has to be the person to pick up the firearms at the destination.

If I have this process correct, can someone just clarify who is “requesting the transfer”.

If I, the shipper, also have to be the receiver, this obviously defeats the purpose. In this case how can I legally get these from Illinois to Texas via FFL holder services?

Thank you for any advice and assistance!
View Quote
If the firearms are longguns and IL law does not prohibit, you can ship them yourself to the FFL via USPS.

Where in Texas?
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 1:29:20 PM EDT
[#3]
You have it correct.  Don't over think it.  You send your firearms to an FFL in Texas.  The person you sold them to comes and picks them up from the Texas FFL.  The Texas FFL does the background check, if needed, and your buyer fills out a 4473.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 5:24:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
You have it correct.  Don't over think it.  You send your firearms to an FFL in Texas.  The person you sold them to comes and picks them up from the Texas FFL.  The Texas FFL does the background check, if needed, and your buyer fills out a 4473.
View Quote
Some FFL holders will not accept transfer from individuals (for their own reasons).

Have the buyer locate a FFL holder who will receive the items and check to see if he will accept from an individual.
Then have the FFL send you a copy of the FFL.  (Smart idea us EZ Check to verify FFL)
You will need to send a copy of your DL / FOID, suggest you send a bill of sale outlining the transaction, and so not send ammo in same package if you use USPS.
Send all accessories and and ammo separately with a detailed noted to the buyer if there is any of this stuff.
Link Posted: 11/17/2018 5:32:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Some FFL holders will not accept transfer from individuals (for their own reasons).

Have the buyer locate a FFL holder who will receive the items and check to see if he will accept from an individual.
Then have the FFL send you a copy of the FFL.  (Smart idea us EZ Check to verify FFL)
You will need to send a copy of your DL / FOID, suggest you send a bill of sale outlining the transaction, and so not send ammo in same package if you use USPS.
Send all accessories and and ammo separately with a detailed noted to the buyer if there is any of this stuff.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

All of this. You are making it overly complicated.

You do not need an FFL at your (Illinois) end, unless you are unwilling to deal with packaging and shipping them and are willing to pay someone to do that for you.

Firearms are not "registered" to either of you, unless you're talking about an NFA item which opens a whole 'nother can of worms.

The recipient picks out a local to them FFL that is willing to accept a transfer from an individual.

You package and ship to that FFL with your info included.

That FFL in Texas transfers the firearms to the recipient.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top