Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/23/2020 7:09:35 AM EDT
I have not shipped a gun myself. Previously I have always had an ffl do it.

Is it as simple as package the handgun up in a priority mailbox and mail it to the other ffl And log it in and out of my book? Do I need to inform the usps I am shipping a firearm?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:16:04 AM EDT
[#1]
https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

It’s under 423.23-24

Edit:  I don’t have an FFL but I was researching getting one recently.  I was reading a lot of this stuff.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:46:58 AM EDT
[#2]
FFl's can ship to another FFl through the postal Service.

If your not FFL you can still ship a fiream but it must go Fedex or UPS
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 7:51:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

View Quote
I'm a brand new 07 FFL. My question is, I can just put the gun in a priority mail box and ship it to the other FFL? I don't need to tell the USPS I am shipping a  gun?
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:58:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

I'm a brand new 07 FFL. My question is, I can just put the gun in a priority mail box and ship it to the other FFL? I don't need to tell the USPS I am shipping a  gun?
View Quote
Fill out the USPS 1508 form and give it them when shipping.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 9:59:19 AM EDT
[#5]
You need to fill out and submit a USPS 1508 when you ship a handgun.  The PDF version you can download from the USPS web site isn't fillable/savable.  I think there's a fillable version somewhere on FFLSOnly.

Also while it's never happened to me, if you don't submit the 1508 and the gun gets damaged or lost in shipping USPS will deny your insurance claim.  They tried to deny my claim on a damaged rifle a few years back because I didn't submit one until I quoted the reg where it's only required for handguns.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:14:10 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
You need to fill out and submit a USPS 1508 when you ship a handgun.  The PDF version you can download from the USPS web site isn't fillable/savable.  I think there's a fillable version somewhere on FFLSOnly.

Also while it's never happened to me, if you don't submit the 1508 and the gun gets damaged or lost in shipping USPS will deny your insurance claim.  They tried to deny my claim on a damaged rifle a few years back because I didn't submit one until I quoted the reg where it's only required for handguns.
View Quote
Thank you!
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:23:35 AM EDT
[#7]
When I did this years ago there was a form I had to sign and give to the postal clerk each time I dropped pistols off at the Post Office.  I forget exactly what it was though.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 10:24:41 AM EDT
[#8]
When I had an FFL I kept a file folder of 1508s. I had one post office that flatly would not accept them even when I printed out and gave them a copy of the regulation, I'd have to drive to another location that would take them no questioned asked.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 11:48:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
When I had an FFL I kept a file folder of 1508s. I had one post office that flatly would not accept them even when I printed out and gave them a copy of the regulation, I'd have to drive to another location that would take them no questioned asked.
View Quote
one of the small local branches here expects a 1508 for every firearm, not just handguns,
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 12:16:58 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
one of the small local branches here expects a 1508 for every firearm, not just handguns,
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I am very lucky my local PO guys are really helpful.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:05:13 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

Is it as simple as package the handgun up in a priority mailbox and mail it to the other ffl And log it in and out of my book? Do I need to inform the usps I am shipping a firearm?
View Quote
Epic and priceless...called it perfectly!!!
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:10:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote
No, ANYONE can mail a rifle or shotgun via USPS. Says so right in postal regulations.
Handguns and any concealable firearm.........licensed dealers and manufacturers only.
Link Posted: 2/23/2020 1:19:32 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Huh?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:17:01 PM EDT
[#14]
I haven't seen anything on the specific type/service of mail required for USPS to ship a handgun.

Is regular Priority okay? Or is it adult signature required?
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 7:44:26 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I haven't seen anything on the specific type/service of mail required for USPS to ship a handgun.

View Quote

Regular priority is fine.  I have had several come first class, one was shipped in parcel post.  Adult signature not required but usually I'll put insurance on it.
Link Posted: 5/28/2020 8:25:42 PM EDT
[#16]
I file the USPS form with the local postmaster once and ship guns without declaring them after that.
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 11:13:52 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

View Quote

I just got a gun in wrapped with butcher paper and tied with twine and like 40 stamps on it. LOL
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 1:28:57 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

I just got a gun in wrapped with butcher paper and tied with twine and like 40 stamps on it. LOL
View Quote

Pffftttt.........you aren't a real gun dealer until you get one like this:
At least 87 Forever stamps AND.......he still had to go to the post office for additional postage.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 3:20:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

At least 87 Forever stamps AND.......he still had to go to the post office for additional postage.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/121109/stamps_on_box_jpg-1454217.JPG
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lol, that's fantastic!
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 9:38:01 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

View Quote

That one checks a lot of boxes that say "Call the Bomb Squad".
Link Posted: 6/9/2020 10:23:33 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

That one checks a lot of boxes that say "Call the Bomb Squad".
View Quote

It's 87 spit samples for the DNA test.

Link Posted: 6/10/2020 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#22]
And today's winner is...............
What you don't see is the reason they had to go to the post office.....that Priority Mail label is for twenty five cents.

Attachment Attached File

Link Posted: 6/11/2020 10:15:40 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
And today's winner is...............
What you don't see is the reason they had to go to the post office.....that Priority Mail label is for twenty five cents.

https://www.AR15.Com/media/mediaFiles/121109/postagebox_jpg-1456105.JPG
View Quote

Holy shit, that's amazing.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top