Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/6/2020 7:26:15 PM EDT
Alright, I’ve got nothing after reading everything I could find around this.

My understanding is a stripped lower would be considered a firearm, and thus have to be declared and shipped next day/overnight by UPS or FedEx.

LMT is telling me I can ship standard shipping to them.

Can someone clear this up for me?  I have not interest (no matter how stupid the laws are) in breaking them.

Thank you!
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 7:44:52 PM EDT
[#1]
Good luck on replies, they will be all over the place.

I've sent parts and complete guns undeclared as machined parts insured for value since about 2005.

I've only used USPS and UPS for my shipments.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 9:16:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Alright, I’ve got nothing after reading everything I could find around this.

My understanding is a stripped lower would be considered a firearm, and thus have to be declared and shipped next day/overnight by UPS or FedEx.

LMT is telling me I can ship standard shipping to them.

Can someone clear this up for me?  I have not interest (no matter how stupid the laws are) in breaking them.

Thank you!
View Quote

Clear it up by going to each shippers web site and seeing what the rules are. here is UPS. I will leave the others for you:

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express Critical™ Service is not available for firearms).

UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm and firearm mufflers/silencers (also referred to as suppressors) are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 9:58:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Short answer LMT is correct long guns can be shipped standard.  Handguns overnight
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 9:58:31 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Clear it up by going to each shippers web site and seeing what the rules are. here is UPS. I will leave the others for you:

UPS accepts packages containing firearms (as defined by Title 18, Chapter 44, and Title 26, Chapter 53 of the United States Code) for transportation only (a) between licensed importers, licensed manufacturers, licensed dealers, and licensed collectors (as defined in Title 18, Chapter 44 of the United States Code), and government agencies and (b) where not otherwise prohibited by federal, state or local law (i) from an individual to a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector; and (ii) from a licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, licensed dealer, or licensed collector to an individual.

Handguns, as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921, will be accepted for transportation only via UPS Next Day Air Services, specifically, UPS Next Day Air® Early, UPS Next Day Air®, and UPS Next Day Air Saver®. (Note: UPS Express Critical™ Service is not available for firearms).

UPS accepts firearm parts for shipment, provided the part is not a "firearm" as defined under federal law; the contents of the package cannot be assembled to form a firearm; and the package otherwise complies with federal, state, and local law. (Note: Receivers or frames of a firearm and firearm mufflers/silencers (also referred to as suppressors) are considered "firearms" and are accepted for transportation only if shipped in accordance with UPS's requirements for shipping firearms.)

https://www.ups.com/us/en/help-center/packaging-and-supplies/special-care-shipments/firearms.page
View Quote

Right, I read that and FedEx and I guess I interpreted it as firearms need to be shipped one of the next day options.  It’s been a long day, though, and now that I look at it again it sounds like only handguns need to go next day service.  I assume that means other “firearms” can go ground.
Link Posted: 8/6/2020 10:24:23 PM EDT
[#5]
May be cheaper to ship ground through a dealer.  Call around.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 12:02:02 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
May be cheaper to ship ground through a dealer.  Call around.
View Quote

I was actually wondering about that...it’s like $15 if I can ship ground via UPS or FedEx with insurance.
Link Posted: 8/7/2020 9:24:22 AM EDT
[#7]
Only handguns have to go overnight.  You should be able to ship a lower via ground.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 2:39:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

View Quote

@RenegadeX

Is PS Form 1508 still required to be filled out for an FFL shipping USPS to another FFL?  Does this get taken with you when you ship the item, or does it have to be sent i a and approved prior to shipping?

Thank you!
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 11:55:25 AM EDT
[#9]
I interpret this to mean a lower receiver is not a handgun as it’s not “designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand”.  I love how they use the words “short stock” and then don’t designate what “short” actually means.

Someone please correct me, if I’m wrong.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:46:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 3:52:49 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Correct, a receiver is not a handgun, it's also not a long gun.  If you're a dealer, small flat rate boxes fit lowers perfectly.
View Quote

Thank you!  Not a dealer, so it would be for shipping UPS to an FFL.  I love the confusion between USPS and UPS as to what is a handgun, or not.

Lower Receivers:
- USPS = Handgun, therefore FFL to FFL only
- UPS ? Handgun, therefore non-licensee to FFL okay

My question for UPS is, can it go ground?  Sounded before like it couldn’t, if I ship to an FFL...but if it’s not a handgun by UPS definitions, then shouldn’t it be able to go ground?
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:39:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

@RenegadeX

Is PS Form 1508 still required to be filled out for an FFL shipping USPS to another FFL?  Does this get taken with you when you ship the item, or does it have to be sent i a and approved prior to shipping?

Thank you!
View Quote

No approval, just sign it and give it to them when you give them package.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 5:40:41 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I interpret this to mean a lower receiver is not a handgun as it’s not “designed to be held and fired by the use of a single hand”.  I love how they use the words “short stock” and then don’t designate what “short” actually means.

Someone please correct me, if I’m wrong.

https://www.ar15.com/media/mediaFiles/431577/4BC7E345-3AE4-41F4-B960-3EA499DABE86_jpe-1851014.JPG
View Quote

Correct, but postal rules say no concealable firearms. It is a firearm and it is concealable. Non issue for FFLs, nogo for non-FFLs.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

432.2 Handguns
Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in this section, after the filing of an affidavit or statement described in 432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following:

Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3.
Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2, which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing between governmental museums without regard to the restrictions provided for handguns in 432.21 through 432.24 and Exhibit 432.25.
Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1 and are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable, but must include Adult Signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.
Link Posted: 3/4/2021 6:18:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Correct, but postal rules say no concealable firearms. It is a firearm and it is concealable. Non issue for FFLs, nogo for non-FFLs.

https://pe.usps.com/text/pub52/pub52c4_009.htm

432.2 Handguns
Handguns and other firearms capable of being concealed on the person are nonmailable unless mailed between the parties listed in this section, after the filing of an affidavit or statement described in 432.22 or 432.24, and are subject to the following:

Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2 and the definition of curios or relics under 27 CFR 478.11 may be mailed between curio and relic collectors only when those firearms also meet the definition of an antique firearm under 431.3.
Firearms meeting the definition of a handgun under 431.2, which are certified by the curator of a municipal, state, or federal museum that exhibits firearms to be curios or relics of museum interest, may be accepted for mailing between governmental museums without regard to the restrictions provided for handguns in 432.21 through 432.24 and Exhibit 432.25.
Air guns (see 431.6) that do not fall within the definition of firearms under 431.1 and are capable of being concealed on a person are mailable, but must include Adult Signature service under DMM 503.8. Mailers must comply with all applicable state and local regulations.
Parts of handguns are mailable, except for handgun frames, receivers or other parts or components regulated under Chapter 44, Title 18, U.S.C.
View Quote

Thank you, sir!

This is just for USPS though, right?

Does this apply to UPS/FedEx, also?

Basically, am I stuck shipping a lower via 2nd day air through UPS...unless I have an FFL ship it?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top