Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/16/2021 8:07:19 AM EDT
Bought a handgun on Tuesday. Dealer sent me the tracking and it comes up as FedEX ground. I just checked the FedEX site and effective 1/4/2021 they state:

C.   Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Drop Box. Firearms shipments are not eligible to be held at Hold at Location facilities.

I understand this has nothing to do w/ the law, just FedEX's policy. However, is there anything, other than them losing it, that can come back to bite either one of us? If they find out it's a firearm, can they refuse to deliver?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:26:00 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Bought a handgun on Tuesday. Dealer sent me the tracking and it comes up as FedEX ground. I just checked the FedEX site and effective 1/4/2021 they state:

C.   Firearms must be shipped via FedEx Priority Overnight service. FedEx Express cannot ship or deliver firearms C.O.D. Firearms shipments cannot be placed in a FedEx Drop Box. Firearms shipments are not eligible to be held at Hold at Location facilities.

I understand this has nothing to do w/ the law, just FedEX's policy. However, is there anything, other than them losing it, that can come back to bite either one of us? If they find out it's a firearm, can they refuse to deliver?
View Quote

The handguns I have sold and shipped I use Fedex or UPS ground.  You are only breaking their internal policy.  Shipper has risk they possibly deny or delay payment on a claim.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 11:48:51 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
...I understand this has nothing to do w/ the law, just FedEX's policy. However, is there anything, other than them losing it, that can come back to bite either one of us? If they find out it's a firearm, can they refuse to deliver?
View Quote

They can keep it, they can bill sender for the difference in service, they can deny a claim for loss/damage/theft.

Nothing will bite you, just the seller. He's the one that violated carriers tariff.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:02:03 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:27:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Dealers are exempt from that rule.
View Quote

I've never seen anything in FedEx tariffs that says gun dealers are exempt from their tariffs. Where did you find that?
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 7:33:40 PM EDT
[#5]
This new policy of not holding guns is problematic for me as an FFL. I always put USPS, FedEx and ups deliveries on vacation hold when I'm in vacation.
If they'll no longer vacation hold my incoming firearms, that means that they'll make three attempts and return the package to the sender.
So much for getting an occasional vacation
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:06:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:19:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

My local FedEx office.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I've never seen anything in FedEx tariffs that says gun dealers are exempt from their tariffs. Where did you find that?

My local FedEx office.

Again, where does FedEx say IN WRITING that gun dealers don't have to abide by their tariff?
I don't doubt that UPS/FedEx bends over backwards for high volume shippers, but I sure as heck ain't taking the word of some local FedEx or UPS guy that "gun dealers dont have to follow the rules".

What does RSR and Sports South use? Hint: it's not Overnight.

RSR has only shipped handguns UPS Next Day to me, never FedEx. Same with Sports South.

Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:41:08 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 8:58:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Almost all major shippers are under contract and have exemptions to the blanket rules. This is why if you ever have to ship an handgun to Glock or wherever, ask them for a shipping label. They usually will if it is warranty, sometime maybe if it is not.

RSR Group ships all handguns via FedEx 2Day®. Customers can request to upgrade their handgun shipments to FedEx Standard Overnight® for an additional charge.
Link Posted: 4/16/2021 9:09:03 PM EDT
[#10]
I don't think other than them possibly losing it your ok.
Best to ship overnight or 2nd day, less time for them to lose it and they seem to keep track of those packages better.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top