Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2018 7:35:51 PM EDT
Shipped firearm FFL to FFL (adult signature required USPS).  Tracking number says firearm delivered and signed for but store says they did not receive it. Address on package was correct.

Store has checked other stores in area and no package.

I have notified USPS and they are investigating.

If firearm does not show up, who is responsible to report to BATF?

Also who is out the money if firearm never shows up.?  Luckily I insured package but what if I had not?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:39:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Shipped firearm FFL to FFL (adult signature required USPS).  Tracking number says firearm delivered and signed for but store says they did not receive it. Address on package was correct.

Store has checked other stores in area and no package.

I have notified USPS and they are investigating.

Also who is out the money if firearm never shows up.?  Luckily I insured package but what if I had not?
View Quote
Does USPS have a copy of the signature and/or name of who signed?

FWIW, USPS insurance is darn near worthless...
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:40:16 PM EDT
[#2]
You are. If it’s lost. You have to refund the buyer in speedy manner.

USPS insurance can take a long time but the buyer shouldn’t be punished to wait on that resolution.

Second, good luck getting an insurance payout if their system shows it was delivered at the correct address.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:42:10 PM EDT
[#3]
USPS does have name or initials of signee. This just happened today so hopefully it firearm will turn up.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:42:45 PM EDT
[#4]
My experience has been that if USPS has a signature for delivery, the USPS insurance will not cover it.  We ship samples for testing to a lab, more than once we made the lab give us credit for samples signed for by them but then lost by the lab. After the lab installed cameras, they found out an employee would screw up a test and then say we never got the sample instead of admitting screwing up the test.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:56:53 PM EDT
[#5]
File a police report.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 7:58:54 PM EDT
[#6]
if someone signed for the package....USPS will not refund the value. You may need to get the Post master and police involved as it is basically a stolen firearm at this point.

I always send firearms via UPS 2nd day for long guns, next day UPS for handguns.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:06:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I have already contacted USPS and they will get back to me within 2to 3 business days. I’ve used USPS numerous times before with incident.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 8:46:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Sending FFL would report it.

Quoted:
View Quote
This depends upon the terms of shipment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/FOB_(shipping)
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:13:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Well, just an observation and dealings with USPS.

Does the receiving signature / name match an employee or owner of the destination FFL?  If it does than the receiving FFL should be on the hook.
If the receiving signature and name do not then the USPS should be on the hook?
If the receiving FFL is home based did a family member sign for it and put it away?
Whether he or an employee misplaced the gun in question?
Was it logged into the receiving FFL's A and D records?
Did the receiving FFL leave it unattended and a customer or another employee abscond with it?
I know from first hand experience that people have been known to walk off with packages that are not intended for them.  One should question
the receiving FFL if they have camera coverage of their receiving area?

Damage and lost in shipping with USPS can take a while to resolve.
Delivered and signed for by a recognizable person well the receiving FFL should be doing the leg work!
Link Posted: 8/19/2018 6:32:05 PM EDT
[#10]
When UPS/FedEx/USPS drop off multiple packages to the same address the recipient doesn't sign for each individual package....just one signature for all of them.

I receive all my gun shipments at a UPS Store. At least once per week there will be a return trip by the USPS letter carrier because he left one box in the truck....yet it showed as "delivered".
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 10:22:17 AM EDT
[#11]
Update.......receiving FFL ( storefront) never received the package. USPS shows package delivered and signed for by  "C.C." Store does not have employee with that name. Surrounding stores also queried for package.

I (sending FFL) contacted USPS, filed a claim, and they are investigating. Local law enforcement also contacted. USPS called back and said the package was misdelivered and they would rectify. I asked how they knew this as the tracking records showed delivery at correct address. They said they would take care of it.

This happened over the weekend and I still do not have confirmation if the package has been located. I went ahead and filed required ATF reports (3310.11 3310.6) as there is a 48 hr time limit from the time you became away of loss.

Will let you know what happens.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 8:32:17 PM EDT
[#12]
All is good now. Post office found package and delivered to correct address. BATF notified and they have responded. I still wonder where they deliver d the package in the first place.
Link Posted: 8/20/2018 9:16:12 PM EDT
[#13]
Glad it worked out for you OP
Link Posted: 8/21/2018 10:01:36 AM EDT
[#14]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
All is good now. Post office found package and delivered to correct address. BATF notified and they have responded. I still wonder where they deliver d the package in the first place.
View Quote
They probably delivered it to the wrong address.

It's not the first time or the last time.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 6:55:55 PM EDT
[#15]
Yep it was delivered to wrong address but the kicker in this was that he sender only has 48hrs from the time he becomes aware of loss to report the loss. It took mor3 than that to actually confirm it had been found and delivered to receiver. I found out after the 48 hrs so I went ahead and sent email to ATF ( @ about 47 hrs  )

I then emailed them back after I confirmed correct delivery. ATF was very prompt in returning emails. It just requires more paperwork in the A &D records is all.
Link Posted: 8/23/2018 7:37:45 PM EDT
[#16]
Glad it work out OP
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top