Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/19/2021 8:27:17 PM EDT
What are y’all doing to stand up long “skinny” bullets for powder coating cure in the oven?
I don’t have a problem with 9mm but subsonic .300 BLK is a huge pain since the tend to tip over easily in the oven or on the way to the oven
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:05:50 PM EDT
[#1]
In for suggestions. I’m in the ‘stand them up, hope my hand is steady and I don’t bump anything’ group...
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:10:16 PM EDT
[#2]
I just put my bullets, no matter the caliber,  in a dedicated tumbler with a bit of powder for an hour, dump in a wire mesh basket, shake the excess powder off into a container and put the whole mesh basket in the oven to bake.
Once done and cool I break them apart and size..
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:40:09 PM EDT
[#3]
Good luck.

I have done it with 500gr 458 cal bullets only because I wanted them pretty.

Now, I just throw them all in the pan and bake. Break them apart as soon as the oven goes ding.

No difference in accuracy or function.

Check castboolits, I bet there are a bunch of OCD guys on there who can help you out with 235gr BT 30 cal cast bullets standing them up to bake.
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:53:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I might just do what y’all are doing and let them all lay down and brake them apart when the oven is finished. It’s pretty time consuming otherwise
Link Posted: 1/19/2021 9:54:34 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In for suggestions. I’m in the ‘stand them up, hope my hand is steady and I don’t bump anything’ group...
View Quote

It’s hell on hearth buddy
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:18:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:36:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:57:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 1:03:33 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
@BelinTX

Don't mean to be a tease.

For 22 cal I took a scrap of aluminum around 1/16 thick and drilled 1/4 holes where I wanted the bullets to stand.

Then on the 4 corners drilled 5/32 holes into which I placed bolts with nuts on either side.

So adjust bolts for the height you want. Mine is adjusted about mid lube grove, about 3/16 high.

Place holder on you favorite non stick surface.

PC bullets are set into holder and cooked. Bullets stick to holder but are very easy to break loose.

As just a tiny part of the PC can touch bullet.

30 cal works same way, different size hole for bullet but otherwise, same same.
View Quote

I did something similar by modifying a cooking tray. I’ll have to compare how the ones in the tray are va just tossing them in a mesh basket since standing them is a lot more time
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 4:27:43 AM EDT
[#10]
Wasting your time if you are standing them up. That is only for pics.

Coat and bake in smaller numbers so they are not stacking in your pan while baking. Then dump directly into cold water. If they are stuck together the water somehow breaks them up better without removing any coating.

I built jigs and sprayed and picked out of BB's and every other thing you can think of. I now just tumble sift off the powder very well and dump onto a silicone mat or parchment paper. Being 300bkl it is not a benchrest gun so any imperfections in the coating is not going to matter anyway.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 5:18:21 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 11:32:55 AM EDT
[#12]
I use silicone mini ice cube trays from Target, little individual compartments for each bullet.  Set the silicone tray on a metal tray and load the whole thing into the oven.  Easy Peasy.
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 12:43:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
I use silicone mini ice cube trays from Target, little individual compartments for each bullet.  Set the silicone tray on a metal tray and load the whole thing into the oven.  Easy Peasy.
View Quote

That’s definitely worth looking into. Thanks for pointing it out!
Link Posted: 1/20/2021 9:26:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I hurt someone's feelings! LOL!!!
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:25:05 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:29:15 AM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 1:57:41 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks for posting your setup. I coincidentally did the same thing for my blackout rounds but just way more drunk angry beaver style
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 2:03:05 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 3:49:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View Quote

Thanks for sharing. I gave it a go and it’s by far the quickest way of getting uniform results.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:03:08 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Thanks for sharing. I gave it a go and it’s by far the quickest way of getting uniform results.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I looked those up at Target’s website, there were$5.99 I think but it said something about $35 min order so I checked Amazon and found this 2 pack.

Attachment Attached File

ETA, looks like 2 of them would fit nicely on my toaster oven tray.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:37:08 PM EDT
[#21]
Those are the ones.  Definitely make it easier to get them into the oven without tipping, bullets don't stick, much less cussing
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:49:33 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Those are the ones.  Definitely make it easier to get them into the oven without tipping, bullets don't stick, much less cussing
View Quote

Absolutely cut down on the cussing big time
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 10:51:14 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
This is not the forum for posts like this. Here are the rules here;

Specific to the Tech Forums

The Tech Forums (AR-15, AK-47, Handgun, Armory, Training, Outdoors) are more "formal" and actions permitted in the General Discussion forums are not permitted there. These forums are to share information and as a result, trolling, heated arguments, insulting others, etc will not be ignored.

Next time will be administrative action.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
This is not the forum for posts like this. Here are the rules here;

Specific to the Tech Forums

The Tech Forums (AR-15, AK-47, Handgun, Armory, Training, Outdoors) are more "formal" and actions permitted in the General Discussion forums are not permitted there. These forums are to share information and as a result, trolling, heated arguments, insulting others, etc will not be ignored.

Next time will be administrative action.

Quoted:
You are wasting your time telling me I'm wasting my time.

I happen to like doing it this way, and it's my time.

You can do as you please.

I agree, you need to follow the rules also. Being a mod does not let you ignore the rules either.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:39:23 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:09:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I have only done the Lee 312-155 2R for rifle so far. This is what works for me with 300 BO. I'm using L'il Gun at about 1900 FPS so it's not a high pressure round, but gives me about 1- 1.25 MOA very consistently. I use a modified version of the shake-bake-dump method. I get very little stuck together and almost no lines. The following also is what I do for 9mm and these I do with about as many as I can get on a basket and it works well there. I actually get a much more even coat this way than when I individually plucked and stood the 9mm up.
  1. Swirl-shake-dump from a Blue Bell Sherbet container. I use these rather than Cool Whip because the lid snaps on. I dump them onto a wire basket made of 1/4" hardware cloth over a piece of cardboard.
  2. Shake the excess powder off onto the cardboard for recovery for the next group.
  3. Into the oven. I have two ovens so I bake longer than probably needed- but I also want to get a little hardening, so I want a good "soak". I'm not positive it makes a difference, but I've seen rather spirited discussions that in order to get any hardness from a water drop, they need to soak a minimum of 20 min.
  4. IMPORTANT STEP: At the halfway point- which for me is 10 min. I have no reason to think it will be different at 5 min for a 10 min bake, I shake the tray really hard, bounce it, etc. to make sure they are not stuck together. By this time they will have started to turn into one big glob if you have a lot in there. The important thing is to make sure they aren't stuck together.
  5. Out of the oven, into bucket of water. I actually use a big, oblong tote so I can just dump willy nilly and get them off the basket without them dragging on the edges, etc. as fast as I can.
  6. Size THAT DAY! I'm using a 93/5/2 alloy (give or take), so if you wait a few days, it will be harder to size.
I also use a high quality powder. I get it from Smoke4320 over at CastBoolits. I've had great luck with all but the orange. It works, but doesn't cover as evenly as blue, green or gray. At least for me.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:07:37 AM EDT
[#26]
I made a several  jigs years ago for my spray gun ( before shake and bake ) that I used to stand boolits up nose down to spray pc and then slide into oven and bake.
I used a piece of 1/8 inch aluminum 12" x 14" sized to slide into my cheap oven like a rack. I drilled 80 holes just large enough for a 22lr case to fit  spaced apart
then another piece the same size with no holes screwed under to hold the 22lr cases in place. works great and I like the exposed tip of the boolits. the 22lr cases
work great for 300bo and I use larger  38spl. cases for 44mag and 45 acp boolits.
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 11:10:05 AM EDT
[#27]
Thanks dryflash for the idea AND pics. I envisioned exactly what your pics were; maybe my brain isn’t as mushy as I thought.

My question is where did you find multiple trays dammitt?
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 2:18:06 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 1/24/2021 9:44:45 PM EDT
[#29]
Depending on your alloy you will have to size the bullets again later if you size the same day. Most all bullets will grow after sizing. But they will grow the most if you size them the same day you cast them.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top