Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/21/2021 4:17:13 PM EDT
Recently inherited an M1 Garand and am setting up to reload for it, as well as for a sporterized Mauser 98k. I have a 550B and  an RCBS single stage, mainly just need advice on a decent die set, and whether it's worth it to use the 550 or do the slow roll with the single stage.

Also looking at powder selection, without any other input I'm leaning towards H335 because I already use it in bulk for .223 and it seems to be cross-compatible for the bullets weights I will be using in the M1 (mostly 147-150gr FMJ).

I'm already sitting on a good amount of primer and brass. Will mostly be loading for plinking/general range use but I don't want my  setup to be the major limiting factor in accuracy potential.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:30:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Recently inherited an M1 Garand and am setting up to reload for it, as well as for a sporterized Mauser 98k. I have a 550B and  an RCBS single stage, mainly just need advice on a decent die set, and whether it's worth it to use the 550 or do the slow roll with the single stage.

Also looking at powder selection, without any other input I'm leaning towards H335 because I already use it in bulk for .223 and it seems to be cross-compatible for the bullets weights I will be using in the M1 (mostly 147-150gr FMJ).

I'm already sitting on a good amount of primer and brass. Will mostly be loading for plinking/general range use but I don't want my  setup to be the major limiting factor in accuracy potential.
View Quote

I got my dad a nice grade M1 from CMP, through a member here a decade back and loaded 100 rds for it.

I stuck with IMR 4895 and used some 150gr. SMKs.

Brass was RP, Win. or Fed. and primers were 210Ms, IIRC.

Things were 100%.

Chris
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 4:55:22 PM EDT
[#2]
I use Redding dies for all my bottleneck rifle.  I like them just fine.  I use the standard FL die set for 30-06.

I also single stage almost all my rifle loads.  I have an RCBS chargemaster, so its pretty easy and quick, with a powder funnel and loading tray.  I throw powder while I am seating the next bullet.  If I didnt have the chargemaster, or wanted to reduce loading time, I'd certainly set it up on the 550.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 5:11:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I reload for my M1, using a Lyman crusher 2 and an RCBS 10/10 scale.  I prefer the single stage for rifle loads larger than .223.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:19:57 PM EDT
[#5]
I load 30-06 on my 550b

I used the ARFCOM "case lube for cheap bastards"

trim

tumble with tiny 20/40grit corncob to remove the lube

then load up with IMR4895 and 150gr bullets.

My CMP service grade barrel crown looks horrible, but I can still clang 400 yard steel with these loads.

saved NRA load data

Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:23:08 PM EDT
[#6]
Just started reloading for an M-1 Garand for a friend of my sons.  Can't help you with the dies as I don't have a Dillon.  I use an RCBS single stage & Lee dies for 30-06.  I loaded a few different batches up, but so far he's only tested one that I loaded using 46.1 grains of AA 2520 and Hornady 150 grain FMJ/BT with CCI BR-2 primers.  He said they functioned great & were as accurate as factory ammo.  Since he is new to the gun world, I told my son I'd take that as a compliment, but hopefully we should be able to get it more accurate than factory ammo.

FWIW I also loaded him batches using 45.5 grains Hodgdon BL-C(2) with Hornady 178 grain ELD-X & CCI BR-2's.  Another batch with the BL-C(2) but 48.5 grains, Hornady 150gr FMJ/BT & CCI #34 primers.  One last batch using 47.0 grains of Ramshot TAC, Hornady 150 grain SST's & CCI BR-2 primers.  If I hear back how these others work in his Garand, I'll let you know.

Now I just need to find some more brass as almost all the stuff I loaded was range pick up & a bit that he had shot in his Garand.  He's stationed in Ft. Campbell with my kid & is just getting into guns on his own & didn't know about the recurring ammo swings that go on.  He had only 2 clips for it & shot the entire box of ammo he got for it when he bought it last Feb. or March.  When I loaded up the brass I had for 30-06, I got some clips &  a bandoleer to put 6 full clips in.  While I might order him a few more clips, I'm not going to load the ammo in those clips for him again, what a PITA!

Edited to fix load data typo.  
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:32:39 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
so far he's only tested one that I loaded using 26.1 grains of AA 2520 and Hornady 150 grain FMJ/BT with CCI BR-2 primers.  
View Quote

Is that correct?
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 6:34:39 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Is that correct?
View Quote

No, should've been 46.1.  I'll go change it.  Thanks for the typo catch.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:17:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Didn’t know H335 was a powder for the garand. That is great news because I load it in my 6x45 and I like to stock up on multi use powders. Right now I have varget for the 17rem I was going to use.
Link Posted: 1/21/2021 9:48:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I reload 30-06 on my 550B.  It's powder measure can throw extruded or ball powder accurately (SD ~0.1 gr with extruded and ~0.01 with ball).

I use Redding and Dillon dies for 30-06.  Either would do the job as well as it can be done.

I've used ball powder and several extruded powders in 30-06.  Right now, I am using IMR-4895.  H-4895 is probably a better choice.

However, if you already have H335 powder, and it is listed in reloading manuals as suitable for 30-06, so there's no reason NOT to use it, at least at the start.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 1:33:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Nothing special about the Garand loading or dies.

I load it on my single stage and leave my Dillion set up for 223. I throw charges with a RCBS measure.

It really does not take long to load a ammo can of 30-06 with a single stage. Just make sure you have good blocks for the cases.

Any good dies will work. I use mostly Hornady but have used RCBS in the past. I like the Hornady seater.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 8:34:47 AM EDT
[#12]
I hardly use any dies these days other than the RCBS X dies for rifle reloading (single stager or Lee Turrety press).

Mostly IMR4895 for 150 grain bullets.

The only ball powder I've tried that gave me acceptable groups in my M1 was TAC.  Meters so much better than IMR type powders.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 10:14:50 AM EDT
[#13]
Thanks for the input, fellas. Think I will use the H335 to start since I have some on hand already, and will try some other types when I get an opportunity to buy some locally. Can't justify shipping/hazmat costs on small quantities right now.
The M1 is a CMP unit my dad got about 20 years ago, seems to shoot great but I noticed 3 cracks in the stock the last time my son and I had it out, on both sides of the reciever. So I fitted a new laminate stock from Dupage, figured since I'm invested in the rifle now and have a few thousand primers I might as well get the rest of the components and put some mileage on it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:07:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Thanks for the input, fellas. Think I will use the H335 to start since I have some on hand already, and will try some other types when I get an opportunity to buy some locally. Can't justify shipping/hazmat costs on small quantities right now.
The M1 is a CMP unit my dad got about 20 years ago, seems to shoot great but I noticed 3 cracks in the stock the last time my son and I had it out, on both sides of the reciever. So I fitted a new laminate stock from Dupage, figured since I'm invested in the rifle now and have a few thousand primers I might as well get the rest of the components and put some mileage on it.
View Quote

I've been reloading for M1s for 30 years.

It's best to stick with IMR 4895 unless you have several OP rods.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 12:48:27 PM EDT
[#15]
46gr of IMR 4895 has been accurate in my rifle.

Also light on the rifle and brass.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 3:39:11 PM EDT
[#16]
I size my brass on the single stage press. I get really good consistency that way. I use the Redding match shell hold set. I like to size to the go dimension. Then I do the rest on the Dillon. I have been using surplus IMR-4895. I used that up, so now I'm considering IMR-8208. I thought about trying TAC, but I read that it doesn't fill the case and is not a good choice for .30-06.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 4:04:42 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
I size my brass on the single stage press. I get really good consistency that way. I use the Redding match shell hold set. I like to size to the go dimension. Then I do the rest on the Dillon. I have been using surplus IMR-4895. I used that up, so now I'm considering IMR-8208. I thought about trying TAC, but I read that it doesn't fill the case and is not a good choice for .30-06.
View Quote

Tom, what is the numerical value for "the go dimension"?

I have found that consistency of lubrication is more important than the type of press you use when it comes to consistency of sizing.  As long as you get that consistency, you're doing it correctly.

What is 8208 and how does it compare to 4895?
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:46:41 PM EDT
[#18]
.30-06 GO is 2.0487". I use an RCBS case mike set to set up the sizing process. I zeroed it out with a GO gage. I like the Imperial sizing wax. Redding sells it. I don't have to worry about dents in the shoulders when I use it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:51:33 PM EDT
[#19]
My logic in sizing to "GO" is that I should be able to fire the ammo in any properly chambered M1 without setting the shoulder back too far.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 6:57:46 PM EDT
[#20]
IMR-8208 should have the same burn rate as IMR-4895 or slightly faster. The kernels are cut quite short.  At least that's how they look in pictures. I hope that they will flow smoothly through the Dillon powder measure. I have not tried it yet, I'll buy some it I can find it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2021 7:18:30 PM EDT
[#21]
I could be wrong on this and if so correct me.  I believe that after the problem with the M16 in Vietnam, the ball powder used was replaced with a stick powder called IMR-8208M. IMR-8208XBR was introduced not too long ago. I'm not sure if it's the same thing.
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 12:01:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I could be wrong on this and if so correct me.  I believe that after the problem with the M16 in Vietnam, the ball powder used was replaced with a stick powder called IMR-8208M. IMR-8208XBR was introduced not too long ago. I'm not sure if it's the same thing.
View Quote

the AR15 was designed for and tested with IMR powder.

WC-846 ball powder was substituted,  which is when the problems began, which resulted in a heavier buffer, chrome chamber, better cleaning kits, training, etc.

IMR8202 flows wonderfully thru a Dillon powder measure
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:00:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Link Posted: 1/23/2021 2:21:48 AM EDT
[#24]
My load: 49grns IMR-4895, CCI #34 primers, Hornady 150grn FMJBT. All my M1s run quite well on this formula. Also trying some of the TSX 168grn solid copper with everything the same except dialing it down to 47grns IMR-4895.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 1/27/2021 3:37:39 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Just started reloading for an M-1 Garand for a friend of my sons.  Can't help you with the dies as I don't have a Dillon.  I use an RCBS single stage & Lee dies for 30-06.  I loaded a few different batches up, but so far he's only tested one that I loaded using 46.1 grains of AA 2520 and Hornady 150 grain FMJ/BT with CCI BR-2 primers.  He said they functioned great & were as accurate as factory ammo.  Since he is new to the gun world, I told my son I'd take that as a compliment, but hopefully we should be able to get it more accurate than factory ammo.

FWIW I also loaded him batches using 45.5 grains Hodgdon BL-C(2) with Hornady 178 grain ELD-X & CCI BR-2's.  Another batch with the BL-C(2) but 48.5 grains, Hornady 150gr FMJ/BT & CCI #34 primers.  One last batch using 47.0 grains of Ramshot TAC, Hornady 150 grain SST's & CCI BR-2 primers.  If I hear back how these others work in his Garand, I'll let you know.

Now I just need to find some more brass as almost all the stuff I loaded was range pick up & a bit that he had shot in his Garand.  He's stationed in Ft. Campbell with my kid & is just getting into guns on his own & didn't know about the recurring ammo swings that go on.  He had only 2 clips for it & shot the entire box of ammo he got for it when he bought it last Feb. or March.  When I loaded up the brass I had for 30-06, I got some clips &  a bandoleer to put 6 full clips in.  While I might order him a few more clips, I'm not going to load the ammo in those clips for him again, what a PITA!

Edited to fix load data typo.  
View Quote

He tried that 2nd load (45.5 grains Hodgdon BL-C(2) with Hornady 178 grain ELD-X & CCI BR-2) out in his M-1 Garand and they also functioned & grouped fine.

Link Posted: 1/27/2021 5:48:14 PM EDT
[#26]
I primarily use IMR 4895 and 4064 for my Garand handloads. Hodgdon H4895 also works well.

This is on a Redding T7 or Forster CO-AX, so it's mostly a single stage operation.

I've been handloading for the M1 for several years and tend to stay in the middle range of powder charges and avoid hot loads.

All HXP surplus brass and 150/168 gn projectiles.

Link Posted: 1/28/2021 1:50:57 AM EDT
[#27]
I'm using the following to reload for my M1 Garands, and other milsurps

Hornady dies
150gr FMJBT
47gr IMR4064
Rem 9 1/2  primers.

I have not ran these through a Crono, the are on the mid-lower load side designed for good range food but not crazy accuracy.

double check with your own data, use at your own risk... but I have had no problems with these loads.
Link Posted: 2/14/2021 9:25:24 PM EDT
[#28]
Two Garands and 4 OP rods here. Stick with the NRA load with IMR4895. If the reloader strays to far from the Mil Spec load  the OP rod will bend.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 6:07:58 PM EDT
[#29]
147 GR & BLC-2

Any here use that combo? I see the NRA load above referenced a few places.

I have 5 lbs of BLc-2.

147Gr FMJ seem to be the cheapest FMJ 30 cal bullet I can find.

I also plan on getting a adjustable gas plug as well.

This is for plinking at steel no target matches.
Link Posted: 2/16/2021 7:48:43 PM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 12:56:39 AM EDT
[#31]
My best loads are on the milder side but have been accurate in a couple of my Garands and even my Sako A7. Sometimes you find a load that just works although it is rarely the max velocity.

168 gr SMK or AMAX or 165 gr REM SP
46.5 gr Varget or, surprisingly, same for H4895
R-P case, Win LR primer, 3.300”

There may be another accuracy node closer to 48.0 gr but this one has been so consistent for me I have stayed with it. This load has for me been more accurate that the Federal GMM SMK 168.

The plain Jane Remington SP was surprisingly accurate for a standard hunting bullet. Very cheap yet good accuracy. I would go with a bonded bullet if ever went for bear, elk or moose. But all game smaller the cup and core SP is good enough in 165 gr.
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:37:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Two Garands and 4 OP rods here. Stick with the NRA load with IMR4895. If the reloader strays to far from the Mil Spec load  the OP rod will bend.
View Quote
Powder choices are from 3031 to varget/H380 in burn rate.  Pick a bullet weight from 110-220gr for your chosen powder and work up.

No need for adjustable gas gimmicks..use the powders in the range above with no worries.

PS if you have gone through oprods in your garand you are doing something wrong.

Proper greasing and inspec oprod springs work wonders...

FYI a great accuracy load is 48.0 varget and any 168gr match bullet.

You're welcome...  :D
Link Posted: 2/23/2021 6:53:17 PM EDT
[#33]
I reload for the M1 Garand.  I use an RCBS JR3 and I do single stage reloading.  I like 48.4 grains of Varget and Magnum primers.  I do trim my brass to the same length using a trim die.  I trim after resizing.  I use a Hornaday Comparater to determine the length and how much resizing the brass gets.  My scale is an RCBS 5-10 I bought in 1975 at the same time I bought the RCBS JR3 press.

I have reloaded probably 150 pieces of 30-06 brass including both sporting brass and military brass that require the crimp being cut or swaged.  I have done both cutting and swaging of the militaty brass as I got my swager after I had already reloaded a number of former military pieces of brass.  I do have an older set of 30-06 brass and it does not have a crimper built into it.  I have a Lee factory crimp die for the 30-06.  

kwg
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top