Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 9/30/2018 10:28:25 AM EDT
While I don't shoot long range or currently have the need to destroy material, I have always been interested in 50 cal. I got to watch the prices of semis go to used car range, so pretty much figured they were never going to happen. But then I saw that Serbu is making the RN, a single shot that uses a lot of AR parts. It looks crude like a giant tec 9, but for some reason that appeals to me. I know the company is GTG, and have always wanted a super shorty. But a 50 for about a grand seems almost like I should get while the getting is good, no?

I have no "use" for it as I'm in DFW. I would need to drive a few hours to even shoot it. I know I would need to buy decent glass or be OK with a $3 /shot red dot wearing 50. I see no real need for this thing even if SHTF. I don't have a centerfire can or NV yet, but working towards that and my EDCs, home stuff, etc is squared away.

While the price isn't crazy, it's also not chump change. I can't imagine seeing anything that cheap again in my lifetime.

I guess a few questions... anybody have one? Any reason I should have one if I don't live in the desert? any first hand reports on here?

thanks
Link Posted: 9/30/2018 3:12:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 10/2/2018 9:25:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a zero custom built on an ar15 lower.  90% of my shooting is at a public range that is only 100 yards.  A few times a year I get invited to my nephew  in-laws farm for a shooting party.  I am asked to bring my big boy with me because everyone loves to shoot it.

When I am at the public range I try very hard to get one of the end tables and as far away from other shooters as possible. The end tables gives me a free side to not worry about people.
The benches are about 6 feet apart.  One time another shooter had a pack of new targets  just sitting on his bench.  I took several shots with my 50 after letting him know Incas going tomshoot it.  The blast from the muzzle break destroyed the targets on his bench.  He thought it was cool that itnhad that much pressure.  He thought it was even cooler that I let him. Shoot it.

Always  carry a few extra rounds, people are always going to want to shoot it.  Letting them shoot it goes a long way in keeping you the 50 welcome at the range.
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 5:42:55 PM EDT
[#3]
I've got one...
Here's my write-up on it from when I first took it to the range:

RN50 review
Link Posted: 10/3/2018 9:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#5]
Yes.  easier to manage recoil with the heavier loads that way.  A thicker buttpad than what I've got on the rifle would help from the bench.
Link Posted: 10/4/2018 11:23:35 AM EDT
[#6]
That's a cheap price for a .50
Link Posted: 12/8/2018 4:56:01 PM EDT
[#7]
I'm pretty happy with mine, and mostly shoot at 300 yards because that's all the farther I can shoot at my local range.
I have a 10x SS with Burris Xtreme low rings.
IMO this combo is a great value and am happy I pre ordered one for $875.

Mr. Big - what kind of velocity do you get from the AMAX/Trailboss load, and how did you come up with it?
Link Posted: 12/27/2018 10:57:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm pretty happy with mine, and mostly shoot at 300 yards because that's all the farther I can shoot at my local range.
I have a 10x SS with Burris Xtreme low rings.
IMO this combo is a great value and am happy I pre ordered one for $875.
View Quote
If you don’t mind me asking, which barrel length did you get? If you were to buy an rn-50 today, would you still recommend them at the current price, and which barrel length would you choose?
Link Posted: 12/31/2018 12:51:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
While I don't shoot long range or currently have the need to destroy material, I have always been interested in 50 cal. I got to watch the prices of semis go to used car range, so pretty much figured they were never going to happen. But then I saw that Serbu is making the RN, a single shot that uses a lot of AR parts. It looks crude like a giant tec 9, but for some reason that appeals to me. I know the company is GTG, and have always wanted a super shorty. But a 50 for about a grand seems almost like I should get while the getting is good, no?

I have no "use" for it as I'm in DFW. I would need to drive a few hours to even shoot it. I know I would need to buy decent glass or be OK with a $3 /shot red dot wearing 50. I see no real need for this thing even if SHTF. I don't have a centerfire can or NV yet, but working towards that and my EDCs, home stuff, etc is squared away.

While the price isn't crazy, it's also not chump change. I can't imagine seeing anything that cheap again in my lifetime.

I guess a few questions... anybody have one? Any reason I should have one if I don't live in the desert? any first hand reports on here?

thanks
View Quote
There was a 1000 yard range in Waco a few years ago, otherwise Shreveport has a 1000 yard range. We've had FCSA Match competitions there.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top