Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2018 9:15:34 AM EDT
For those of you guys who have sold high dollar ($4,000+) NV or thermal equipment on the second hand market, did you just stick with paypal friends and family, or did you require buyers to use goods and services, cash, or another service?

I've sold a couple of NV units on the EE but generally not anything more than a little over $2,000 and I just used various forms of Paypal, and everything worked out fine.

What do you guys use?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:22:59 AM EDT
[#1]
I'll give you a cool Craigslist offer of $1000 and a set of hardly used tires?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:23:34 AM EDT
[#2]
Just my opinion but I’ve seen too many guys get screwed. PayPal FF or usps MO.

And I insure the package regardless of how much it cost and ALWAYS get signature confirmation.

My friend sold a $3000 thermal and the guy tried to say he didn’t get it. The signature that signed for it says AO, same initials as the PayPal account the guy used to pay.

And usps said between the signature and gps in the trucks he was covered.

The guy tried complaining to PayPal but they told him to pound sand. My friend didn’t get screwed.

I guess that happens more than you’d think. Person buys your expensive item and lies and says they didn’t get it. And we all know unless you have iron clad proof PayPal sidesxwith the buyer.

I still think if the guy used goods and services my friend would have got boned.

Cover your ass. Who cares if it costs an extra $100. It couidcsav you thousands and a big headache
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 9:57:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just my opinion but I’ve seen too many guys get screwed. PayPal FF or usps MO.

And I insure the package regardless of how much it cost and ALWAYS get signature confirmation.

My friend sold a $3000 thermal and the guy tried to say he didn’t get it. The signature that signed for it says AO, same initials as the PayPal account the guy used to pay.

And usps said between the signature and gps in the trucks he was covered.

The guy tried complaining to PayPal but they told him to pound sand. My friend didn’t get screwed.

I guess that happens more than you’d think. Person buys your expensive item and lies and says they didn’t get it. And we all know unless you have iron clad proof PayPal sidesxwith the buyer.

I still think if the guy used goods and services my friend would have got boned.

Cover your ass. Who cares if it costs an extra $100. It couidcsav you thousands and a big headache
View Quote
So PP FF is preferable to goods and services in your opinion?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 10:48:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

So PP FF is preferable to goods and services in your opinion?
View Quote
If you use FF you are on your own. If there is a problem you will be admitting to PP that the person is not a friend or family, that it was for goods, and that you ripped PP off of their fee.

Check or Certified Check but wait until it clears, USPS MO and wait until they clear (limit is $1k on a MO). FYI most post offices cannot cash money orders that are above a couple of hundred. Wire transfer is an option and there might be a fee depending on your relationship with your bank. Some think there are potential pitfalls with giving your account # out but they would get it anyway if you sent them a check. Yeah, there are scammers who wash checks as well. If a buyer bitches about having to wait 3-5 days for their a Check/MO to clear before you ship than walk.

Back in the day when I was more involved in NFA you generally did not think twice about sending someone a check for thousands of dollars for a MG, but you would not have done that if you were buying a used car for the same amount of money. When it comes to the car you would want to see it, check it out, drive it to see if it works, and see a clean title. With all of today's scams people need to think twice on every purchase. Is someone going to fly or drive "X" number of miles to inspect NV/Thermal, probably not in most cases. This is why something like our own EE is all about reputation aka feedback and time here, but always take precautions.

ETA Another FYI is if someone takes your USPS MO as payment and takes off the USPS is not going to do jack to help you. Yeah they will tell you to fill out paperwork, but they won't do jack to help get your money back.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 11:33:18 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Is someone going to fly or drive "X" number of miles to inspect NV/Thermal, probably not in most cases.
View Quote
It doesn't help that for NV you kind of need to meet a stranger in a dark place
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 12:45:04 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

View Quote
Ain’t this the truth? Lol
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 1:07:32 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It always feels sort of “drug deal-ish”. Handing over $2K, wife sitting in the car doing “overwatch”.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 1:12:50 PM EDT
[#8]
What is PP FF, how is it different than Paypal?

Is this just to save the 3%?

Is there more protection with regular paypal?
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 1:15:46 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
What is PP FF, how is it different than Paypal?

Is this just to save the 3%?

Is there more protection with regular paypal?
View Quote
PP FF is PayPal “Friends and Family” which is a no-fee transaction with no buyer/seller protection of any kind.
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 5:40:20 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

PP FF is PayPal “Friends and Family” which is a no-fee transaction with no buyer/seller protection of any kind.
View Quote
This. Basically, if for some reason you don’t trust the buyer you say they have to use FF (you should be on the up and up).

On the other hand, if you’re buying something and it’s for a lot of money you should never try to save the relatively small amount. You should use goods and services.

If you two can’t agree on that then do another form of payment and wait until it clears
Link Posted: 8/16/2018 6:14:51 PM EDT
[#11]
PayPal is my preferred method, I have done FF but only with people I really trust
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top