Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/25/2020 10:46:19 AM EDT
Exactly how does one sell a SBR out of state? Wait times? I know it has to go to a SOT dealer, but exactly how do you go about it?
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 11:43:01 AM EDT
[#1]
The simplest manner is to revert the SBR to rifle or pistol status.  This is a simple as swapping uppers on a Colt 6933 or as complicated as pinning and welding the flash hider on a Sig 551.

Otherwise..The SBR is shipped to the out of state dealer with $200 being paid to get it there...it is then transferred to the new owner with another $200 being due.  Also factor in about 18 months total time for the transfers.

Generally is is cheaper and also much more timely to revert to a non-SBR status.
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 11:54:44 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/25/2020 12:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
The simplest manner is to revert the SBR to rifle or pistol status.  This is a simple as swapping uppers on a Colt 6933 or as complicated as pinning and welding the flash hider on a Sig 551.

Otherwise..The SBR is shipped to the out of state dealer with $200 being paid to get it there...it is then transferred to the new owner with another $200 being due.  Also factor in about 18 months total time for the transfers.

Generally is is cheaper and also much more timely to revert to a non-SBR status.
View Quote

Well, unfortunately it has always been a SBR, it is a AK74SU Krinkov
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 2:08:14 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

Well, unfortunately it has always been a SBR, it is a AK74SU Krinkov
View Quote

Slap a 8-9" fake PBS can on it ($50), pin and weld it (leave the pin/weld visible so the other guy can find it), voila a 16" title 1 rifle.  Should cost ~$50.  Once done call ATF and have them remove it from the registry.  Then sell it as a title 1 / 4473 normal gun (you can ship directly to their FFL via Post office for ~$50 with insurance (1 week) they can then get it and e-form 1 it for $200 and have it back in SBR form (+$100 for a re-engrave and remove pin weld), eforms take a month or less
Total cost ~$450.  Total time ~2-3 months tops

Or, sell out of state, Form 4 to dealer, Form 4 to individual, $400 in stamps and at least 6-8 months per form 4.  So like 12 months MINIMUM could be 16+ months.  Total Cost also $450 (2 stamps and $50 shipping)

Ive also heard of guys preferring to chop the receiver up and sell it as a parts kit so they can rebuild it on their end with a new (potentially more "correct") receiver without your name still stuck on it.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 3:59:07 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:

The one thing you "know"...isn't actually true.

Since it's a tax-paid transfer, it can go to any FFL...
View Quote
@BigWaylon

Followup question on your comment.

I am an individual in GA selling and MG to an individual in SC.

The last time I did this, the first transfer was on a Form 4 to the out of state dealer.
This time, the SC dealer thinks I can transfer on a Form 3, with no tax paid, because he is a SOT on top of being an FFL.

Is this correct?  I'm reading the Form 3, and this appears to be correct.  The only thing that may disqualify an tax exempt transfer is that in the Transferor's box (2A) there are three check boxes:  Sole Proprietor, Partnership, Corporation...none of which I am.
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 4:45:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
@BigWaylon

Followup question on your comment.

I am an individual in GA selling and MG to an individual in SC.

The last time I did this, the first transfer was on a Form 4 to the out of state dealer.
This time, the SC dealer thinks I can transfer on a Form 3, with no tax paid, because he is a SOT on top of being an FFL.

Is this correct?  I'm reading the Form 3, and this appears to be correct.  The only thing that may disqualify an tax exempt transfer is that in the Transferor's box (2A) there are three check boxes:  Sole Proprietor, Partnership, Corporation...none of which I am.
View Quote

No, this is not correct. The Form 3 is used for tax exempt transfers between FFL/SOT holders. You, as an individual, are not a FFL/SOT holder and cannot transfer tax exempt on a form 3 to a SOT.

This is the important part
Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 12/30/2020 6:48:36 PM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:30:46 PM EDT
[#8]
I went through this earlier this year when I bought a machine gun from an out of state private individual. The easiest way without removing the gun from the registry is to Form 4 directly to the sellers dealer in his state then they Form 4 it to the buyer.

In my case the first Form 4 was relatively expedited since it only took a couple of months. I assume that was because it was transferring to an FFL dealer but who knows maybe I just got lucky.  I’m currently waiting on the next Form 4 to get it into my hands.

I think as someone above said the quickest way to do it is to make the gun a non SBR and then transfer it as you would any other firearm. One of the advantages of a pistol turned SBR is you can just take the stock off and be done with it. I do not believe there is any actual requirement to notify the ATF that you have removed the gun from the registry.
Link Posted: 12/31/2020 7:40:59 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
I went through this earlier this year when I bought a machine gun from an out of state private individual. The easiest way without removing the gun from the registry is to Form 4 directly to the sellers dealer in his state then they Form 4 it to the buyer.

In my case the first Form 4 was relatively expedited since it only took a couple of months. I assume that was because it was transferring to an FFL dealer but who knows maybe I just got lucky.  I’m currently waiting on the next Form 4 to get it into my hands.

I think as someone above said the quickest way to do it is to make the gun a non SBR and then transfer it as you would any other firearm. One of the advantages of a pistol turned SBR is you can just take the stock off and be done with it. I do not believe there is any actual requirement to notify the ATF that you have removed the gun from the registry.
View Quote

The one downside is that the next owner, should they want to, would not be able to make it a SBR until the NFRTR was updated.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top