Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/23/2020 11:40:47 AM EDT
I found a hole in the wall shop that had a few boxes of S&B primers in stock. Two different boxes, one with markings "LP 5,3" and one with "LR 5,3" on it. On both boxes it states for use in rifle, pistol or revolver cartridges. Is this just catchall printing on the boxes or can these actually be used in both rifle and pistol loads? I looked at the S&B website, but it does not say anything other than listings for both large / small rifle or pistol primers. I am guessing the LP is large pistol and the 5,3 is diameter?

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:13:20 PM EDT
[#1]
I've used about 100 of these in my 300bo loads. All went bang

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 12:50:19 PM EDT
[#2]
I have used S&B before in some .223 plinking loads and never had a problem. I had just never noticed the wording on the box before.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:10:13 PM EDT
[#3]
I've used cases of S&B primers and they are great. I once loaded about 100  9mm with S&B  small rifle primers (something I do with CCI 400 all the time) as a test and my race guns wouldn't set them off on the first strike. My single/double guns had no issue with them tho. But otherwise, they are very good primers that flip and feed very well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Yes LP is large pistol and LR is large rifle. Sadly, those aren't imported anymore. I've gotten a ton of them from Cabelas and Bass Pro that were $20 a brick, but S&B stopped bringing them to America a couple years back. I've never had a problem with them not working as intended. I personally am not sure about interchanging LR and LP, I'll leave that to others more experienced to answer.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 3:42:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Yes, that's common catch-all language. The primer size and use is defined by SR, LR, SP, LP language.

As to my opinion of them.  To be honest, I want to love them, I see lots of other people love them, but my experience with their line of LR primers hasn't been very good.  In the multiple batches I've had, the LR will pierce at Creedmoor pressures; and do it a lot.  While CCI, Win, and Fed all do not.

I also once had a batch of LR-M's that had a 50% hang-fire rate in multiple cartridges in multiple different guns; again when nobody else' would.  

Frankly, I think S&B is sloppy on their metalurgy.  I had a friend's 6.5 CM split every case of S&B 6.5CM FMJ in his rifle, when nobody else' would. The rounds ran fine in my gun, but his would split every case.  Maybe he had a bad gun, but he then went through a hundred rounds of several other brands, which all ran fine.  I asked S&B about it, and basically was told these things happen.  No they don't, they aren't happening to anyone else.

That's 3 bad experiences with S&B cartridge metalurgy I've had now.  I run their SR primers, and those seem to be fine and haven't given me these problems, but maybe I just got a bad draw.  Or they're sloppy with their metallurgy QC, and some people win, and some people don't.

So while I love all things Czech; I'm kind of learning to just stear away from S&B these days.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 4:53:44 PM EDT
[#6]
After a mini panic as I opened my last brick of Win SPP I was very happy to find 10k of the S&B 4,4 purchased a few years ago under my bench.  The have worked well in both pistol and small Lever/single shot rifle rounds.  Have not tried them in .223 and not sure I would.  They fit well but I do not perceive them as very hard.  I had stacked up some Tula LR and SmR and they work fine as well.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 6:55:29 PM EDT
[#7]
Just had to toss out 58K LRM.

1/3 were ok
1/3 were hang fires
1/3 were duds.

Never a problem with small pistol or small rifle.

Never saw large pistol.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:01:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Used up 3k of the SP without any issues other than having to chamfer my primer shuttle a bit more as they seemed more boxy than CCI's, creating challenges on my LNL, with riding too high in the shuttle.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:03:30 PM EDT
[#9]
I bought a total of 50k S&B SPPs over 6 months back when they were $20/1k.  Still have about 15k and every single one of them have gone bang.  Most have been loaded behind 2.8g of Titegroup and a 165g 9mm pill.
Link Posted: 9/23/2020 7:44:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just had to toss out 58K LRM.

1/3 were ok
1/3 were hang fires
1/3 were duds.

Never a problem with small pistol or small rifle.

Never saw large pistol.
View Quote

Yep - my exact experience with the LR-M's.  The LR's (non magnum) light reliably, but the cups are so soft they pierce if there's any pressure.  Work fine in mild 30-06 vintage gun loads, so that's where I'm shooting them.  The SR and SP all run fine for me as well; the issue was just the LR line, for whatever reason.
Link Posted: 9/24/2020 8:26:21 PM EDT
[#11]
I’ve used S&B large rifle primers in my PPU 6.5 Grendel cases and fire formed 7.62x39 brass to 6.5 Grendel.  They fit primer pockets tighter than Winchester large rifle primers.  No problems with S&B primers for me but I bought them several years ago.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 8:09:46 AM EDT
[#12]
Single digit SD on 5.56mm clones using their SR primers. I still have 20k I'm going to offload as I'm using CCI #41 exclusively now.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 10:08:40 PM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Yes, that's common catch-all language. The primer size and use is defined by SR, LR, SP, LP language.

As to my opinion of them.  To be honest, I want to love them, I see lots of other people love them, but my experience with their line of LR primers hasn't been very good.  In the multiple batches I've had, the LR will pierce at Creedmoor pressures; and do it a lot.  While CCI, Win, and Fed all do not.

I also once had a batch of LR-M's that had a 50% hang-fire rate in multiple cartridges in multiple different guns; again when nobody else' would.  

Frankly, I think S&B is sloppy on their metalurgy.  I had a friend's 6.5 CM split every case of S&B 6.5CM FMJ in his rifle, when nobody else' would. The rounds ran fine in my gun, but his would split every case.  Maybe he had a bad gun, but he then went through a hundred rounds of several other brands, which all ran fine.  I asked S&B about it, and basically was told these things happen.  No they don't, they aren't happening to anyone else.

That's 3 bad experiences with S&B cartridge metalurgy I've had now.  I run their SR primers, and those seem to be fine and haven't given me these problems, but maybe I just got a bad draw.  Or they're sloppy with their metallurgy QC, and some people win, and some people don't.

So while I love all things Czech; I'm kind of learning to just stear away from S&B these days.
View Quote

S&B were the only SPP I had light strikes with in stock sprung handguns.  Same loads ran 100% in a PCC.
Link Posted: 9/27/2020 11:26:27 PM EDT
[#14]
I had no problems with SPP.

LPP were very frustrating. Some anvils fell out, some were missing anvils and some were just duds. I would say 10-15% were problems.

Both left a residue in my primer system. As I remember it one was red in color and the other was green. Easily cleaned with alcohol.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top