Posted: 4/13/2023 1:43:39 AM EDT
Are they for real?

eg. Infinity Targets
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 1:53:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Gimmicky bs, buy steel.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 10:24:34 AM EDT
[#2]
I don't know about the targets in the link, but I have shot the crap out of the self healing orange ball on a tether targets for years.  The tether line gets shot through and has to be tied back together at least once a session.  Great for blaster shooting, not so much for sighting in or precision shooting.

MHO, YMMV, etc.  Be well.
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 11:07:20 AM EDT
[#3]
I have a couple of their 1st Gen targets and they work great. Throw them up on a couple sticks with binder clips (like I used to for paper on cardboard, etc) and shoot away.

Hit with 10 seconds of spray paint and ready to go again. Beats changing targets or taping holes.

Shot 9/45 and 5.56/300 BLK with no noticeable damage that paint did not cover.

I would buy again
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 11:19:08 AM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Gimmicky bs, buy steel.
View Quote

FPNI
Link Posted: 4/13/2023 3:00:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I used to have one of the dog toy looking things. It held up decent with rimfires. I got my $10 out of it.
Link Posted: 4/15/2023 8:39:44 PM EDT
[#6]
Check out throom targets I've got a few they work well for a good price.
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 1:07:25 PM EDT
[#7]
I have a hilly pasture that I want to shoot on occasionally.

would shoot through targets be better for reducing lead contamination a bit? Buried in dirt vs vaporizing it against a steel plate?
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 4:46:22 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 5/10/2023 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#9]
I have one that's two discs in a cross to form a sort of ball. Fun as a reactive target to make spin and bounce around. Has taken a fair amount of 9mm and AR/AK abuse.  If you have to hike to a shooting spot, it makes for a target that's lighter than steel, more fun than paper.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have a hilly pasture that I want to shoot on occasionally.

would shoot through targets be better for reducing lead contamination a bit? Buried in dirt vs vaporizing it against a steel plate?
View Quote

Lead isn't going to "vaporize" from hitting a steel target, or else you might want to consider wearing a NIOSH filter mask when you practice. However, fragmentation & scattering occur, & the dirt will still get contaminated.
Link Posted: 5/11/2023 10:50:09 AM EDT
[#11]
I just bought one of these for out at the ranch.

So far, I've shot about 100 rounds of 10mm and around 60 rounds of 5.56 at it.

In the areas where the hits are closest in the middle, you can see some chunks taken out if you look at the backside, but the front still looks fine.

I am wondering if putting some of that cheap spray on bed liner on the back would help with the rubber chunking off.  I might try that the next time I am out there.
Link Posted: 6/9/2023 9:04:40 PM EDT
[#12]
My brother has one of those orange plastic prairie dog targets on a swinging stand, and it has held up to rimfire and pistol ammo.  I imagine if large open hollowpoints would take chunks of material out of it rather than close up after being shot.
Link Posted: 6/12/2023 10:40:02 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
My brother has one of those orange plastic prairie dog targets on a swinging stand, and it has held up to rimfire and pistol ammo.  I imagine if large open hollowpoints would take chunks of material out of it rather than close up after being shot.
View Quote

I had one of those and the target holds up a lot better than the flimsy metal frame and balance weight. One solid hit and the weight is ruined, the frame gets easily bent when pushing it in or out of the ground and when it gets bent the target wont balance and swing right.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 7:07:06 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Ironically, my friend had some of the OP's linked product on the action range.

MUCH lighter then steel, no duh , right.

The material reminded me of a solid rubber Tractor Trailer Mud flap.

It seems durable enough given its composition , but I do question the manufacturer's claim of "  Self-Healing up to 110 rounds of 5.56!, Per In2 " ,,, eventually I would think you would blow away enough material that it would leave a hole.

If you are looking for a sturdy rubber torso target, and want it LtWt ( carrying it ) I'd try one.
View Quote

The 110 rounds comes from LA Co Sheriff's Dept who tested it and fired 110 rounds in the exact same hole in order to finally get a 1" failure point.
Link Posted: 6/13/2023 7:07:39 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Gimmicky bs, buy steel.
View Quote

Have you shot them?
Link Posted: 6/19/2023 10:59:32 AM EDT
[#16]
I haven’t used the ones in the link but I do use some of those orange or yellow rubber type targets that work rather well. I refuse to use frangible ammo (only time I had a catastrophic failure was at CATM school when I had an M4 blow up using that frangible crap and I have scores of other stories about frangible ammo problems throughout my career) so I’ll use steel at the farther range targets but use the self-healing targets at close ranges.  You don’t get the satisfying “ding” like you do steel but they still move to signify a hit without splash back dangers.
Link Posted: 6/20/2023 12:12:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Lead isn't going to "vaporize" from hitting a steel target, or else you might want to consider wearing a NIOSH filter mask when you practice. However, fragmentation & scattering occur, & the dirt will still get contaminated.
View Quote

Lead dust will occur when a bullet hits a solid object. Outdoor shooting it's a non-issue though. Indoor ranges, it is a concern but that's why newer ranges have expensive air circulation and filtration systems.

Just go with steel and call it a day or buy cheap cardboard ipsc silhouettes and pasties.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 11:46:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Lead dust will occur when a bullet hits a solid object. Outdoor shooting it's a non-issue though. Indoor ranges, it is a concern but that's why newer ranges have expensive air circulation and filtration systems.

Just go with steel and call it a day or buy cheap cardboard ipsc silhouettes and pasties.
View Quote

Yes, I get that. Is AR500 worth the investment?
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 12:04:36 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

Yes, I get that. Is AR500 worth the investment?
View Quote

Absolutely. Just know the safe distance and caliber ratings the thickness of your targets and your ammunition.

Steel is a great addition to add to your training.
Link Posted: 6/21/2023 1:32:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Absolutely. Just know the safe distance and caliber ratings the thickness of your targets and your ammunition.

Steel is a great addition to add to your training.
View Quote

+1

I have a full size IPSC silhouette out of 1/2 AR500. It's heavy as fuck, but has held up to full auto and BMG hits. ~8 years later, it's still doing great.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top