Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/28/2021 10:35:21 AM EDT
I’m 4 months into my wait for a DeadAir Mask suppressor and started thinking of what I want to put it on.

I have a couple of 6 7/8” barrelled Ruger MK2’s I really enjoy shooting but neither is threaded.  

A Tactical Solutions upper looks like a good option but am not sure which barrel length to get, 4.5 or 6 inches.

Would probably be using a red dot instead of irons so sight radius is not an issue.

Leaning towards the 6 inch upper but with the 5 inches of suppressor added on, I’m concerned it will be a bit long and unwieldy.

Opinions?
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:38:41 AM EDT
[#1]
4.5 will do a better job of keeping bulk ammo subsonic.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 10:57:53 AM EDT
[#2]
+1 on the 4.5” barrel.  I sold my 6” volquartsen scorpion because I’m too cheap to shoot only subsonic ammo.  Plus the 6” is just too long with a can.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 11:47:43 AM EDT
[#3]
I hadn’t though of the subsonic issue so thanks for that information.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 2:55:37 PM EDT
[#4]
Favorite hosts are Ruger Charger, Savage FVSR, Ruger Mk-IV Lite, Ruger Sr-22, and 4.5” CMMG AR-22 upper.  The first two I stick with subsonic or standard velocity. The others will keep even bulk pack “high velocity”  subsonic.

Link Posted: 4/28/2021 4:11:27 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a 1985 mark2 stainless bull barrel that i had cut down to 3.5 inches back in 2005 when i bought my first suppressor, a gemtech outback 2. Very quiet , lots of grins at the range. Last year i bought a Dead Air Mask. It is stupid quiet, and the short barrel keeps most ammo sub sonic. Gotta get out the chronograph, its been a while. My advice, Mask on a Mark 2 is just about perfect. 4.5 inch would keep it very quiet. Enjoy your Mask
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 7:43:07 PM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for all the comments, I think the 4.5 inch is they way I’m going to go.

Now to find one.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 8:20:00 PM EDT
[#7]
I would skip the TacSol upper. Bought one for my first suppressor an Element 2. I switched out from a MKII Govt model because I always wanted a suppressed MKII. It's not as reliable as the original upper and while a suppressed MK is fun, a TX22 with a Mask is a very quiet and fun combo.

I keep thinking about getting a used MKII standard barrel for the TacSol and putting the Govt model back together, more accurate and reliable.
Link Posted: 4/28/2021 9:21:07 PM EDT
[#8]
there are some discussions about the tacsol and how the face of the barrel gets beat up on high round count.
I went with getting my barrel threaded instead. was cheaper and I didn't have to worry about any of the odd things I read about.
Link Posted: 4/29/2021 8:00:48 AM EDT
[#9]
I bought a MkIII and had the barrel shortened to 4" and threaded, and the only things that go supersonic in it are the things I'd want to go supersonic, like MiniMags, etc. Bulk ammo, anything standard velocity, all stays just at subsonic. It's a little more pricey than just buying a gun with that barrel length already, but I'm not even sure Ruger makes a 4" MkWhatever gun. Over 4" in length and things start going super whether you want it to or not unless you specifically buy subsonic ammo..
Link Posted: 5/1/2021 11:25:42 AM EDT
[#10]

Those are both MK IIs. I’m very happy with how they perform using a Mask.
Link Posted: 5/4/2021 4:02:06 PM EDT
[#11]
I resurrected an old MKII with a Volquartsen upper.   This combo is phenomenally quiet and has been perfectly reliably over hundreds of rounds with minimal (read zero) cleaning.   Love it.

Link Posted: 5/6/2021 11:10:01 AM EDT
[#12]
I had my Mk II cut to 4.5 inches. Added the Dead Air Mask. A great combination.

At my altitude (1000') Standard CCI is sub-sonic.

Mark
Link Posted: 5/8/2021 8:44:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 11:54:53 AM EDT
[#14]
I was in pretty much the same situation you are.

I have a Ruger Mk2 pistol that I wanted threaded for a Dead Air Mask.  Mine has a six inch barrel.

This is the advice I was given:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Ruger-Mk-II-tapered-barrel-threading-options-/20-517539/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

I sent mine to ECCO machine to have it internally threaded and an adapter added.  The price was very reasonable.  My kids shot it the first time the other day.  It turned out very well, and I like it a lot. It is huge and heavy though!  A shorter barrel would probably be nice.

I "think" the pistol was subsonic with federal bulk pack ammunition- it was a lot quieter than the same ammo through a bolt action .22 rifle with 16 inch barrel with the same suppressor!  I was shocked at the noise difference between the two... I would have thought the rifle would be quieter.  Nope!

I would contact Nick about this (he is a forum member) esp if you want to keep your gun OEM as possible.  Here is his facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/ECCOmachine/

Here is my pistol:

Link Posted: 5/19/2021 12:04:02 PM EDT
[#15]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I was in pretty much the same situation you are.

I have a Ruger Mk2 pistol that I wanted threaded for a Dead Air Mask.  Mine has a six inch barrel.

This is the advice I was given:
https://www.ar15.com/forums/Armory/Ruger-Mk-II-tapered-barrel-threading-options-/20-517539/?page=1&anc=bottom#bottom

I sent mine to ECCO machine to have it internally threaded and an adapter added.  The price was very reasonable.

My kids shot it the first time the other day.  It turned out very well, and I like it a lot. It is huge and heavy though!

I "think" the pistol was subsonic with federal bulk pack ammunition- it was a lot quieter than the same ammo through a bolt action .22 rifle with 16 inch barrel with the same suppressor!  I was shocked at the noise difference between the two... I would have thought the rifle would be quieter.  Nope!

I would contact Nick about this (he is a forum member).  Here is his facebook page.

https://www.facebook.com/ECCOmachine/

Here is my pistol:

https://i.ibb.co/NtZT30n/KIMG0019-2.jpg
View Quote

My bolt gun is definitely way quieter than my 22/45 MKII.  The pistol is quiet and fun still.  
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 3:19:03 PM EDT
[#16]
Maybe, maybe not. Rifle is quieter than pistol if firing subsonic in both. For me pistol is quieter if firing HV ammo in both. Because the HV is only subsonic in the pistol.
Link Posted: 5/19/2021 7:38:18 PM EDT
[#17]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

My bolt gun is definitely way quieter than my 22/45 MKII.  The pistol is quiet and fun still.  https://i.imgur.com/zVCDeNB.jpg
View Quote

When my rifle was louder than the pistol, the ammo was hi velocity... I am guessing the six inch barrel was short enough to make the ammo subsonic in the pistol, whereas it went supersonic in the rifle.  (The rifle is very quiet with subsonic ammo).

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top