Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/26/2021 5:45:46 PM EDT
Hey gang, I used to run quite a bit with my plate carrier back when I had thicker plates and only a 3-mag shingle on the front. I've since moved to substantially thinner L210 plates and have also added an HSGI Mini MAP V2 which stacks a set of mags behind an admin pouch. Being essentially 3 layers deep on the front (triple shingle, double shingle from mini MAP, admin pouch from mini MAP), plus fairly loose plate pouches, this old girl swings like she needs a bra. I'm not kidding, I clapped through the neighborhood when I tried to run the other night.

Are there any tie down accessories that would secure from molly webbing on the front of the plate carrier and strap around to the molle on the cummerbund? I feel like I've seen something like this, but I may have been looking at a placard or swift clip type plate carrier that wouldn't be compatible with my set up. See my pic below for reference.

For what it's worth, I have a JPC 1.0 inbound and intend to use the built in triple mag pouch with the mini MAP, hoping this is a more secure set up but may still need tie-down support of sorts if I want to run with it.

Untitled by Will5B, on Flickr
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 6:42:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I think you need to rethink your setup. That's a big belly sticking out.

You could tighten it up, but it sucks trying to catch your breath then.

If you can't snug the plates up in the pockets, you might either have to deal with it or get a compatible plate/carrier combo.

I have L210 in a first spear, but just 3 mag shingle and a small pouch up high.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think you need to rethink your setup. That's a big belly sticking out.

You could tighten it up, but it sucks trying to catch your breath then.

If you can't snug the plates up in the pockets, you might either have to deal with it or get a compatible plate/carrier combo.

I have L210 in a first spear, but just 3 mag shingle and a small pouch up high.
View Quote

The 'big belly' sticking out is right. You need to re-evaluate the current setup with double stacked mags and an admin pouch. My Army brothers taught me one thing overseas... you can never be low enough. When it is time to hit the deck, you want to be flat as possible.

Trimming fat applies to gear and body. Just walk around with your gear for hours on end. You will figure it out.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 7:20:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Are there any tie down accessories that would secure from molly webbing on the front of the plate carrier and strap around to the molle on the cummerbund?
View Quote

I used to say it all the time to my guys, "it doesn't have to be pretty, it just has to work."

Or try one wrap, malice clips, tac ties.
There are tan/brown/green bungees you can try looping through those two loops on the front plate bag.

About the plates, try a spacer of some sort. A rolled up towel stuffed into the bottom of the plate bag might do.
Or a trauma pad if you want to spend the money.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 9:08:50 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah that looks less than ideal.  I don't like going more than 1 mag deep on the front.  Learned that on a qual range years back after a short lived gear change up.  Shooting from prone sucks at 2 mags deep, can only imagine it's way worse with the admin pouch.  

So here is my 2 cents...

Make sure your PC is riding high enough and not just protecting your gut.  Top of the front plate should be up around your sternal notch.  Take in the biggest deepest breath you can and adjust your cummerbund to be slightly snug to that "size."

Put your med stuff and TQ in and on a "dangler" of some sort and add a small admin pouch above the mags where your patches are if it is still needed.  Put spare pistol mag up by the admin pouch.  Move the 2 front rifle mags to the cummerbund, both one side or 1 each side....whatever floats your boat.

Draw mags from the triple shingle first, refill from sides as needed or just use them from where they've been relocated to if you can easily reach them.  Make sure they don't interfere with your pistol draw though.

Don't know what to say about the loose plate pockets.  Maybe add some closed cell foam as a backer to take up space?

Link Posted: 7/26/2021 9:47:54 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Yeah that looks less than ideal.  I don't like going more than 1 mag deep on the front.  Learned that on a qual range years back after a short lived gear change up.  Shooting from prone sucks at 2 mags deep, can only imagine it's way worse with the admin pouch.  

So here is my 2 cents...

Make sure your PC is riding high enough and not just protecting your gut.  Top of the front plate should be up around your sternal notch.  Take in the biggest deepest breath you can and adjust your cummerbund to be slightly snug to that "size."

Put your med stuff and TQ in and on a "dangler" of some sort and add a small admin pouch above the mags where your patches are if it is still needed.  Put spare pistol mag up by the admin pouch.  Move the 2 front rifle mags to the cummerbund, both one side or 1 each side....whatever floats your boat.

Draw mags from the triple shingle first, refill from sides as needed or just use them from where they've been relocated to if you can easily reach them.  Make sure they don't interfere with your pistol draw though.

Don't know what to say about the loose plate pockets.  Maybe add some closed cell foam as a backer to take up space?

View Quote

Dangler pouches suck when running also. At least they do for me.

There's alot of ways, but not one "the" way. Just gonna have to find what works. But I'll agree with above, layers of gear rarely work.

I put ifak on my cummerbund behind left arm.
Have a tq horizontal under mags.
No pistol stuff at all on my PC.
Link Posted: 7/26/2021 10:15:35 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Dangler pouches suck when running also. At least they do for me.

There's alot of ways, but not one "the" way. Just gonna have to find what works. But I'll agree with above, layers of gear rarely work.

I put ifak on my cummerbund behind left arm.
Have a tq horizontal under mags.
No pistol stuff at all on my PC.
View Quote

Got so busy writing I totally forgot running was the concern here

With that "new" revelation () I'll amend my suggested setup.  And yeah, no one way,  do what works for you.  These are just the thoughts I had on what I'd do.  

Take off the dangler before your PT runs.  

Or...

Cummerbund mounted smallish vertical pouch for med gear strong side, double pistol mag weak (reload hand) side.  A med pouch that only takes up 3ish MOLLE slots horizontally mounted as near as possible to the front mag shingle shouldn't get in the way of your draw.  Should also remain accessible from your "weak" hand.  Had a similar setup for years.  I'm 6"3ish and 195 lbs so again, YMMV on the draw interference and accessibility.

To me the main goal here aside from making sure the carrier is adjusted correctly would be losing the layers up front.  Sure, you could probably tighten them up but it'll still be a thicc setup if prone shooting is ever a consideration.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top