Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/10/2018 7:59:31 PM EDT
Anybody have one of these or have any experience with them?

Looking at getting the fastbox 40 to be able to keep something more substantial than a pistol as my bedside gun. So I need a bigger quick access safe. Don't want to spend a ton of money on it and don't really want biometric or RFID technology.

How are they? Where are they made? China?

Any input appreciated
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:50:21 AM EDT
[#1]
No experiece with that brand, but the electronic lock (probably Chinese) would eliminate it for me for reliable quick access.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 8:41:13 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No experiece with that brand, but the electronic lock (probably Chinese) would eliminate it for me for reliable quick access.
View Quote
I agree, I would much rather it just had a mechanical simplex lock but I simply cannot find one that does. Fort Knox makes a shotgun security box but due to the size and it opens on the small end no way I could fit an AR pistol in there.
Link Posted: 11/11/2018 1:37:38 PM EDT
[#3]
VLine makes a simplex rifle box that opens on the long axis.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 8:45:05 PM EDT
[#4]
I did see those V-line units but the cost was a little more than I wanted to spend and from the reviews I read the door seems kinda flimsy without the manual locks closed. I got an email today that the fastbox was $75.00 off for early black friday direct from the company so decided to FO and see how it is. I did email them and it is indeed made in china. I would pay the extra money for the V-line just to get the simplex lock and to have something made in USA if the door didn't look so flimy.

I'll report back what I think once I get it. They have a 90 day guarantee so I can always send it back if it is junk.
Link Posted: 11/12/2018 10:48:46 PM EDT
[#5]
I have two of the Secure-It Fast Boxes.  The idea is good, and they're handy, but I wouldn't put anything of real value in there.  The internal components are cheesy, and the door gaps are huge, making it susceptible to a smash-and-grab crowbar attack.  Twice, the battery has died without the warning flashes, although it does have a mechanical key bypass -- good thing it didn't happed in an urgent situation.  They're all right for what the name suggests:  A fast access box.  Maybe a pump shotgun or a cheap AR15.  Some people put them in cars or vans, but if the thief had the ability to pry open the car lock or trunk, then they have the ability to pry open that fast box in under a minute.  A sum up review:  Better than nothing.

The owner of Secure-It has numerous videos online.  I maybe be wrong, but he comes off as a bullshitter.  They have a new Truesafe, that's apparently electric saw/grinder resistant, but after numerous requests from viewers for a pry attack video, there's nothing on their website.  It could be because their Truesafe is shelled with 14-gauge steel and god-knows what the bolt works are like.  I hope they put up a video soon proving me wrong.
Link Posted: 11/13/2018 1:57:18 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I did see those V-line units but the cost was a little more than I wanted to spend and from the reviews I read the door seems kinda flimsy without the manual locks closed. I got an email today that the fastbox was $75.00 off for early black friday direct from the company so decided to FO and see how it is. I did email them and it is indeed made in china. I would pay the extra money for the V-line just to get the simplex lock and to have something made in USA if the door didn't look so flimy.

I'll report back what I think once I get it. They have a 90 day guarantee so I can always send it back if it is junk.
View Quote
I do agree that there is a shortage of mechanically locking quick access safes for single long guns. I think the way the V-Line is meant to be used is that when you are home, you unlock the corners so you have quick access with the pushbutton lock only. When you leave just lock the corners. I know, it's a pain in the ass, but to me it would still be better then the electronics to me.
Link Posted: 11/14/2018 8:19:48 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree about the electronics, I try to avoid them whenever possible. This lock box will be primarily to keep kids and other people who would otherwise not be intent on stealing or destroying my property away from the firearm. I will keep my eye out for that Vline model and see if any deals pop up, if so I can probably sell the fast box locally and break even if it seems like the lock is not reliable.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 2:43:38 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, ended up cancelling my order with Secure-it when I inquired as to my order status and they told me they usually try to get orders shipped within 2 weeks

2 weeks for an off the shelf thing from China? In today's E commerce environment that seems pretty ridiculous. Their customer service is very responsive though I'll give em that.

I think I'll either go with the V-Line or make my own and just buy my own simplex deadbolt lock. For my needs even a box made out of a sheet of plywood would be plenty strong and throw a simplex dead bolt on it and I'll still be cheaper than either option.
Link Posted: 11/16/2018 7:19:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well, ended up cancelling my order with Secure-it when I inquired as to my order status and they told me they usually try to get orders shipped within 2 weeks

2 weeks for an off the shelf thing from China? In today's E commerce environment that seems pretty ridiculous. Their customer service is very responsive though I'll give em that.

I think I'll either go with the V-Line or make my own and just buy my own simplex deadbolt lock. For my needs even a box made out of a sheet of plywood would be plenty strong and throw a simplex dead bolt on it and I'll still be cheaper than either option.
View Quote
Eurekasafes.com I have one and it sounds right up your alley.

Key lock and very simple. It is behind my bedroom door. With my door open you can't even tell it is there. Made in the USA too...

Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/18/2018 9:49:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote
If you go this route make sure the lock you buy is for the right application. They make them for wood (cabinet lock) and the steel applications come set up for different steel thicknesses. Side throw and end throw bolts are something to consider before buying the lock too.

Glenn
Link Posted: 12/1/2018 11:04:39 AM EDT
[#11]
Wanted to follow up here. I ended up ordering the Vline rifle security box off ebay with the 15% off coupon it was under $300 shipped.

Got it all mounted up. Yes when only the simplex lock is locked one could probably pry the door from the bottom enough to get out the contents.

And yes when you secure the two manual locks it is not able to be opened. I secure the locks when I am away from home and when I get home I just keep the simplex lock closed.

I added in a little shelf to be able to keep a pistol in there as well since it is wall mounted without the shelf that would be difficult. Also got a magnetic stick on led light with a motion sensor that works great. One thing to note is that with my AR pistol in there it will fit with a magazine inserted but needs to be pulled out by tiling it at an angle. I feel like under stress it would be easier to just throw in the mag and yank the charging handle than getting it wedged in there by not using the correct angle to get it out. I do have a TRS25 on a high mount so that makes it bigger than needed.

Also note that Pmags fit perfect just wedged in the side of the case. The included velcro strap is too strong to break free by pulling the gun out so I am not using that. Overall pretty happy with it. Feel much better about getting into this in an emergency than hoping the biometric pistol box I was using will work.

Attachment Attached File
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top