Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/29/2021 7:55:03 PM EDT
So I am looking at getting into PCP with a Hatsan Bull boss or something like that.  Maybe a Flashpup or even a Avenger in .25.  I have been looking at getting a bulk tank to take to the range and fill.  These are all 3,000 psp guns and I think the hp scuba tank would be good for many full fills vs a standard 80cuft alum scuba tank.  Anyone have any imput???  I have also considered buying an expired but like new condition carbon SCBA tank for $60 that is made for 4,500psi but taken out of service at 15 years.  That would only be in issue if you tried to get it filled by a business.  If you have your own pump fill to 3,500 and enjoy shooting with a far lighter tank.  Any imput on that idea???

Thanks,
Ghilly
Link Posted: 1/29/2021 8:32:05 PM EDT
[#1]
I use a standard 100 cu ft SCUBA tank as the local dive shop cannot fill to the higher pressures of the SCBA bottles. For the most part, I have not found it to be too problematic filling my guns.  I have also tuned most of them to work at a lower fill pressure.  The exceptions are the regulated guns, for there is no disadvantage filling all the way, unlike a  lower pressure tuned unregulated gun.  A tank going to 3500 psi will get you a few more full fills with most guns.  It is not, however, like a 4500 psi bottle in terms of number of full fills.

All that in consideration, when I want one of my regulated guns to be fully filled, topping off with the Hill/Air Venturi hand pump is not that big of a deal.   I fill as far as my tank pressure will allow, then pump the rest of the way.  

My lower pressure tuned non regulated guns are tuned to either 2500 psi, or 150 BAR.  Both are easy numbers for me to remember so that I don't wind up with valve lock due to over filling.

The other thing that I've found with the regulated guns, is that even with a lower fill pressure I still get a reasonable number of shots before I have to fill again.

When my tank gets to 1800 psi, it is time to head back to the dive shop.  There is no way that I would even consider hand pumping a large tank to fill it.  As it is, when my FX Dreamline gets to the point of going off reg and I want to fill it to the full 230 BAR by hand, it takes about 100 pumps after the hose has filled (the check valve clicks open).  The pump should be let to cool down after every 50 or so pumps, otherwise the seals can get too hot and fail prematurely.  Also, hand pumping is not something that you do quickly.  A slow and steady fill pace is best as it lets things stay a bit cooler while filling.

As far as an expired SCBA bottle goes, there is at least one outfit (I cannot recall its name) that re-certifies SCBA bottles that have not been abused.  Last I remember, they would do this for a customer's bottle, and they had several for sale as well. The cost for re-certification of a personally owned bottle was not that bad, as I recall.
Link Posted: 2/1/2021 11:29:44 PM EDT
[#2]
Saw this video the other day. Trying to figure out why I'd get a pcp air rifle. Want one, but don't know exactly how much I'd use it. Guns are cheap enough, it's the stuff one has to buy to keep it shooting.

SCBA Carbon Fiber PCP Air Tanks
Link Posted: 2/2/2021 5:18:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I'm thinking about going the other way and getting a Nomad pump.

I'm just trying to figure out how to get an unregulated 1 liter bottle that I can fill with it and use it for one or two fills on my gun without having to bump up to a guppy tank.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top