Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/27/2021 3:19:17 PM EDT
I am doing some reconfiguring on my 450 Marlin, and I am looking to see if anyone has recommendations for an illuminated scout scope.  I would like to be in the 1x4 range and illumination is a must.  I read that the Trijicon accupoint can be used as a scout scope, but the eye relief on their website is only 3.2 in.  Leupold offered one, but has since stopped production on them.  Any input would be great.

Thanks
jakjak
Link Posted: 7/27/2021 6:28:23 PM EDT
[#1]
Leupold will customize whatever you want - different turrets, reticle, etc.  you will pay for it though.  
What about  a red dot of some sort with a magnifier?
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 10:00:00 AM EDT
[#2]
I thought about a red dot and a magnifier,  I am just concerned about the height of the magnifier,, I haven't done a ton of looking at them but it seams they all sit pretty high
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 11:08:50 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I am doing some reconfiguring on my 450 Marlin, and I am looking to see if anyone has recommendations for an illuminated scout scope.  I would like to be in the 1x4 range and illumination is a must.  I read that the Trijicon accupoint can be used as a scout scope, but the eye relief on their website is only 3.2 in.  Leupold offered one, but has since stopped production on them.  Any input would be great.

Thanks
jakjak
View Quote

I thought about a scout scope for an 1894 CSBL, but ultimately gave up on the Forward of Receiver aspect because of the height necessary to clear.
The Gen 1 Viper PST's 1-4x (4" eye relief) sits about as close as it can get in TPS Ultra Low mount rings. So close, I had to remove the rear ghost ring.
It works very well and is very comfortable, fast, and ideal for the ranges I expect to use it for.

The gen1 PST-14-M (mrad) was only $300 on closeout. I don't see any more available, but the PST-14-A is still available for $350 at Euro Optic.

Not sure if you can mount on your gun this far back tho. Here it is in the TPS Ultra Low rings. No problem turning the power ring, but I still need to put the hammer extension on to make using that easier.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/28/2021 1:51:34 PM EDT
[#4]
I have an Accupoint on a CZ527 in .223.  There is no way it would work for a scout scope on my 1894 CSBL given eyebox limitations.  

I have a PA 1x ACSS cyclops prismatic optic on my 1894 CSBL, and have pushed it to damn near twice the OEM specified eyebox range to no loss of function.  That being said, it is at the absolute rear of the XS rail.

I have a forward mounted VX-II Leupold 1-4x27 on my Ruger Scout.  I think the model # is 119621.  It's typically an uncatalogued offering.  Not illuminated, but a great forward mounted optic solution in the magnification range you're wanting.
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 12:10:57 AM EDT
[#5]
What about like a leupold CQ-T?
Link Posted: 7/30/2021 11:29:02 AM EDT
[#6]
I have scoured the internet,  no one makes an illuminated scout/pistol scope unfortunately.  so now I am leaning towards the Burris 2x7 scout or an rmr red dot.  I am hesitant to go with some of the larger red dots because the height over the rail. really need a good cheek well on the 450, she kicks a bit.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:28:06 PM EDT
[#7]
Sorry if I've missed it, but do you have a top rail or have you considered getting a top rail?

That'd open up a lot more options than just the scout location.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 4:33:31 PM EDT
[#8]
There was a fixed power Leupold scout scope (no illumination) on the EE recently, fwiw. I think that model is discontinued.
Link Posted: 8/2/2021 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Sorry if I've missed it, but do you have a top rail or have you considered getting a top rail?

That'd open up a lot more options than just the scout location.
View Quote

It dose have a top rail, I really wanted to keep the scout location for both eye open quick shots.  I have trouble shooting with booth eyes open with optics that are mounted further back.
Link Posted: 8/3/2021 12:55:04 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
It dose have a top rail, I really wanted to keep the scout location for both eye open quick shots.  I have trouble shooting with booth eyes open with optics that are mounted further back.
View Quote

Ah, gotcha.

If you aren't finding what you want for the scout location, and all the way back on the top rail isn't going to work both eyes open anyway, might as well go with magnification and forget 1x?

Running with that, I have two suggestions:

1. Primary arms glx 2x prism. Just enough magnification to reach out a lil' bit, not too much for up close and personal. Adjustable height and 3.5" eye relief unlike most other magnified prisms.
Example:

2. LPVO (or any scope really) with see through mount. Use scope for magnification and see through mount for irons instead of 1x?
Example (please excuse the crappy pic skills)

Link Posted: 8/4/2021 10:24:12 AM EDT
[#11]
Thanks for all the info.  I have a 1x4 on my 45-70 mounted just like yours, and I really do like it.  I wish I had a prism scope to try out.  Having said that I think I am going to take the 450 to the range and try an rmr off of one my pistols to see how I like that, and a friend has a scout scope ( I believe it is a cheap one) to try out.  I really would like some magnification just in case a long shot presents its self.
Link Posted: 8/4/2021 12:37:50 PM EDT
[#12]
Also, I would really like to thank you guys for all the input and suggestions.  I really do appreciate it
Link Posted: 8/24/2021 12:22:33 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm late to your thread.  Burris made the perfect scope for your use, but it is now discontinued.   It is a 2-7x32 Electro-Dot handgun/scout scope.  I have one on my .45-70 single shot.  You might check the Equipment Exchange here or maybe eBay.

They are great scopes.  Very rugged.  I don't know why it was discontinued.  It has a simple red dot in the center of a duplex reticle.  Dot intensity can be varied from full daylight noon bright to just barely visible.  Worth looking for.  Mine is not for sale!

Link Posted: 8/26/2021 5:50:46 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I'm late to your thread.  Burris made the perfect scope for your use, but it is now discontinued.   It is a 2-7x32 Electro-Dot handgun/scout scope.  I have one on my .45-70 single shot.  You might check the Equipment Exchange here or maybe eBay.

They are great scopes.  Very rugged.  I don't know why it was discontinued.  It has a simple red dot in the center of a duplex reticle.  Dot intensity can be varied from full daylight noon bright to just barely visible.  Worth looking for.  Mine is not for sale!

https://i.postimg.cc/3N9t61K9/LER-Burris-Scout-in-QD-mounts.jpg

View Quote

This is exactly what I am looking, I will have to keep my eyes peeled on ebay and GB,  its a shame they stop making them,
Thanks
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top