Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » Blades
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2023 9:35:43 AM EDT
I am looking specifically for a right-handed horizontal/scout mounted belt knife under $100. Primary use will be opening cardboard firearms boxes, cutting twine, tape etc It would only be a last ditch weapon if my pistol failed.

I'm tired of folders in my right hand jeans pockets, as my holster/pistol combo is always is in the way. A simple solution IMO is to move the knife to the small of my back on my belt.

I've looked through Amazon, BladeHQ, and SMKW...it's information overload. A simple horizontal mount in a leather sheath with a 4"-5" blade would be sufficient.  

I'm not looking for Benchmade quality, I have plenty of their folders. I just need serviceable steel for lightweight work that doesn't look like crap or is too bulky. .Am I looking for unobtanium at this price point?

ETA: As a disclaimer, all of my Benchmade purchases were before I learned of their political donations. Please don't gut me

Something like this:

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 10:11:51 AM EDT
[#1]
RAT 3 with the hard plastic sheath and metal belt clip
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:12:31 AM EDT
[#2]
I use a Rat 3 with an IWB soft loop snap on the sheath.
Link Posted: 5/1/2023 2:37:47 PM EDT
[#3]
you will find belt mounted items on the small of your back look cool but are very uncomfortable when sitting on anything but a stool....   Ask me how I know... had one in my early days as an leo.  Quickly relegated that and my shoulder holster to the broken toy box:

Link Posted: 5/1/2023 11:26:53 PM EDT
[#4]
I have to be honest, the horizontal scout sheaths look cool, but seem less than handy. I made one and while it was easy to get the knife out, putting it back safely wasn't real easy or quick. Personally I have come to really like the dangler style sheaths.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:00:10 AM EDT
[#5]
Not too many knives work well in that "scout carry" position. You need something much flatter. Best I've used for that particular location (I had body armor on, so it was less of an issued when seated), are the TOPS CUT 4 and the ESEE 3 (right around your price range):

The stock TOPS sheath is actually pretty decent, but the Armatus sheaths are top tier. Even without body armor, they were tolerable to wear when seated, but they are noticeable when you're in and out of seated transportation modes.

One recommendation instead of the small-of-back scout carry, is in the front, horizontally. I'm right handed for shooting, so I carry them horizontally at my 1100 position. I can draw it with my strong-hand for a conventional/utilitarian need, or I can draw it with my weak-hand in an icepick grip: my primary defensive training style.

The challenge isn't access. The SOB-scout location is pretty easy to access, but it limits access to just one-hand and it's a PITA to re-sheath. If you're planning on using the fixed blade as a utility knife, the front-horizontal method is much easier to access (both hands), and much easier (and safer) to re-sheath if you're using it often.

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 6:49:06 AM EDT
[#6]
Appreciate the replies, guys, thanks.

My job finds me standing 100% of the time, so sitting isn't a serious concern for me (other than my 15 minute ride to/from). Appearance and functionality are key, as I work in what is the equivalent of a Basspro style shop. Mostly fellow rednecks and farmers, so they don't freak out at the sight of a blade or our employee open carry policy. (Yes, we get some urban yute packs coming in from time to time, and openly armed folks in our area are a deterrent to shenanigans). I do use a knife multiple times a day for the aforementioned purposes.

I may consider the 1100 carry position instead, but it will have to be a small sheath. The Esee or Rat3 have moved to the top of the list.
Link Posted: 5/2/2023 8:02:57 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I may consider the 1100 carry position instead, but it will have to be a small sheath. The Esee or Rat3 have moved to the top of the list.
View Quote

One of my favorite smaller fixed blades for that 1100 positions is the Bradford Guardian:

Right beside it is an equally solid choice for a smaller fixed blade in that location, the White River Knives Model 1

Both are comparable in price to the ESEE 3.

Again, I use both with Armatus sheaths...

ROCK6
Link Posted: 5/4/2023 10:08:20 PM EDT
[#8]
Back in the 1980s, I regularly carried a Gerber Guardian knife & used to loop the belt clip through my pants belt loops.  I don’t remember the brand of jeans I wore then, but they had 2 SOB belt loop instead of the customary 1 loop, which provided better security.  It was secure enough, but I wasn’t running, gunning or wrastlin’ bears.

I did find the boot clip easy to move the knife to a more comfortable position when seated.  My point is that—if you’re sold on SOB carry, be sure the sheath is readily repositioned as needed.
Link Posted: 5/7/2023 1:29:07 PM EDT
[#9]
I use a Jerry Hossom designed LeDuck by Outdoor Edge.  I carry it horizontally in front though.

Works well in back too

Link Posted: 5/8/2023 3:26:06 PM EDT
[#10]
Benchmade loaned a chopsaw to a PD. How is this such a big deal?
Link Posted: 5/9/2023 10:15:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Benchmade loaned a chopsaw to a PD. How is this such a big deal?
View Quote

And continue with the rest of the story...
Page Armory » Blades
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top