Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/12/2020 1:16:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 7:30:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:13:20 AM EDT
[#2]
CZ USA is simply the importer.  The Scorpion pistols are not 922r compliant, because 922r doesn’t apply to pistols.  The Scorpion carbine does come with US parts and is compliant.  You will have to replace parts on the pistol for compliance.  The pistol may come with a couple of US parts (mag follower and floor plate - depending on the magazine included), but it’s not enough.

Mine is engraved on the lower right side of the upper, under where it says CZ-USA.  An alternate is the same place on the left side.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 9:20:28 AM EDT
[#3]
What is it, 6 or 7 US parts needed?

I believe the stock and muzzle device count as 1 part each as do magazines. So that would be 3 towards the total number.

Yet another stupid rule that I've never heard of being enforced.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:05:25 AM EDT
[#4]
The SBR stock kit from CZUSA has all the compliance parts you will need.
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:11:31 AM EDT
[#5]
If it has a removable muzzle device you need 6 parts to be US
If it does not have a muzzle device you need 5 parts

US made magazines are 3 parts - Body, floorplate and follower

US made fire control groups can be up to 3 parts - trigger, hammer and disconnector. I don't know what parts the Scorpion FCG has but probably at least 2

US handguards are 1 part
US pistol grip is 1 part
US stock is 1 part
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:12:52 AM EDT
[#6]
NFA weapons aren’t subject to 922r to my knowledge
Link Posted: 3/12/2020 11:30:06 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
NFA weapons aren’t not subject to 922r to my knowledge
View Quote
The general consensus is that SBRs are still subject to 922r.

https://johnpierceesq.com/does-922r-apply-when-building-an-sbr-from-an-imported-pistol/

I thought the CZ 922r compliance kits were hard to find now and remember CZ saying they were going to stop selling the kits once the aftermarket for US compliance parts caught up (which it has)

Mags have a maximum of 3 parts on them:  follower, floorplate, and mag body.  Some of the CZ mags (clear 30 rounders, I think, but maybe not the clear 20 rounders) have US made followers and floorplates, but the bodies are still Czech.  US made mags (e.g. PSA, Magpul) count as 3 US Parts.

Here is a handy diagram for the Scorpion.

https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2015/07/14/cz-scorpion-evo-3-922r-kit-update/

My SBR has a US grip, trigger, and disconnector.  Also, all of my factory mags have the US follower and floorplate, plus I also have PSA and Magpul mags.  I removed the factory birdcage flash hider, so I only need 5 US parts on mine.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 4:32:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Originally Posted By raverill:
NFA weapons aren’t subject to 922r to my knowledge
View Quote

ATF says otherwise in this case, and the gen 1 Evo has a grand total of 0 American made parts, iirc.

As mentioned, the 922r kit CZ sells has everything needed to make it compliant.
Link Posted: 5/13/2020 5:57:28 PM EDT
[#9]
Originally Posted By raverill:
NFA weapons aren’t subject to 922r to my knowledge
View Quote

USC 922
(r)It shall be unlawful for any person to assemble from imported parts any semiautomatic rifle or any shotgun which is identical to any rifle or shotgun prohibited from importation under section 925(d)(3) of this chapter as not being particularly suitable for or readily adaptable to sporting purposes except that this subsection shall not apply to—

"any semiautomatic rifle" would seem to include SBR.
Link Posted: 5/15/2020 11:06:46 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 1:50:14 AM EDT
[#11]
Your odds of ever having to worry about 922r are virtually nonexistent as evidenced by no one who wasn’t already on the hook for much more serious shit ever being prosecuted for it.

Are the American made parts you plan on installing marked as made in the USA? For a magazine, maybe. Any kind of internal small part and the answer is no so I hope you plan on carrying the receipt for your purchase around for the rest of your life.

Further, 922r only applies to the person who assembled the gun, not the person who currently possesses it (for the purposes of criminality, it could still be confiscated). Good luck to the government proving I’m the one who actually assembled the parts and not my casual acquaintance I lost contact with years ago and can’t remember the last name of or my wife who I can’t legally be compelled to testify against.

I’m not here to tell anyone not to do whatever they feel they need to do to feel safe but I’m also not going to worry that the ATF is going to waste their time tracking down the provenance of every part of my SBR when I’m at the range one day.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 7:50:52 AM EDT
[#12]
Originally Posted By AzAgLover:
Your odds of ever having to worry about 922r are virtually nonexistent as evidenced by no one who wasn’t already on the hook for much more serious shit ever being prosecuted for it. 

Are the American made parts you plan on installing marked as made in the USA? For a magazine, maybe. Any kind of internal small part and the answer is no so I hope you plan on carrying the receipt for your purchase around for the rest of your life. 

Further, 922r only applies to the person who assembled the gun, not the person who currently possesses it (for the purposes of criminality, it could still be confiscated). Good luck to the government proving I’m the one who actually assembled the parts and not my casual acquaintance I lost contact with years ago and can’t remember the last name of or my wife who I can’t legally be compelled to testify against.

I’m not here to tell anyone not to do whatever they feel they need to do to feel safe but I’m also not going to worry that the ATF is going to waste their time tracking down the provenance of every part of my SBR when I’m at the range one day.
View Quote

When you file a Form 1 to make a SBR, it’s pretty easy to figure out who assembled it since that person’s name is right there on the form.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:06:32 AM EDT
[#13]
Originally Posted By AzAgLover:
Your odds of ever having to worry about 922r are virtually nonexistent as evidenced by no one who wasn’t already on the hook for much more serious shit ever being prosecuted for it. 

Are the American made parts you plan on installing marked as made in the USA? For a magazine, maybe. Any kind of internal small part and the answer is no so I hope you plan on carrying the receipt for your purchase around for the rest of your life. 

Further, 922r only applies to the person who assembled the gun, not the person who currently possesses it (for the purposes of criminality, it could still be confiscated). Good luck to the government proving I’m the one who actually assembled the parts and not my casual acquaintance I lost contact with years ago and can’t remember the last name of or my wife who I can’t legally be compelled to testify against.

I’m not here to tell anyone not to do whatever they feel they need to do to feel safe but I’m also not going to worry that the ATF is going to waste their time tracking down the provenance of every part of my SBR when I’m at the range one day.
View Quote

922r violations are normally secondary charges. There have been only 4 cases in the past 8 years where a 922r violation was the leading charge. That being said, there is a minimal chance of anything ever happening.

As for the parts provenance, the whole point of 922r specific parts is that they are marked, that way they can be differentiated from the foreign made parts. I have yet to see a part that is marketed as a 922r compliance part that weren't marked in some way.

As for who assembled the firearm, if you filed a form 1 on the firearm and engraved the firearm with your information as the maker, then that is pretty obvious who made the firearm.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:13:44 AM EDT
[#14]
Originally Posted By firepyro515:

922r violations are normally secondary charges. There have been only 4 cases in the past 8 years where a 922r violation was the leading charge. That being said, there is a minimal chance of anything ever happening. 

As for the parts provenance, the whole point of 922r specific parts is that they are marked, that way they can be differentiated from the foreign made parts. I have yet to see a part that is marketed as a 922r compliance part that weren't marked in some way.

As for who assembled the firearm, if you filed a form 1 on the firearm and engraved the firearm with your information as the maker, then that is pretty obvious who made the firearm.
View Quote

Just curious are there links to any of these?

Were they importers that were getting in trouble or just an individual.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:32:28 AM EDT
[#15]
Originally Posted By Jmo371:

Just curious are there links to any of these?

Were they importers that were getting in trouble or just an individual.
View Quote

TRAC Reports: Federal Weapons Prosecutions Rise for Third Consecutive Year

That's the best I can get without paying for it.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 11:39:56 AM EDT
[#16]

TRAC Reports: Federal Weapons Prosecutions Rise for Third Consecutive Year

That's the best I can get without paying for it.
View Quote

2 2 and 4....I'm gonna dig around and see if I can actually find a case of an individual prosecuted for it.

I bet those cases were FFLs doing Saiga or SKS conversions without US parts and then selling them.

But that's just my guess.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:47:45 PM EDT
[#17]
Originally Posted By Jmo371:

2 2 and 4....I'm gonna dig around and see if I can actually find a case of an individual prosecuted for it.

I bet those cases were FFLs doing Saiga or SKS conversions without US parts and then selling them.

But that's just my guess.
View Quote

I'd be curious to see if you find something. I tried looking around a couple times after I first found the TRAC report, but my searches came up with nothing.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:51:22 PM EDT
[#18]

I have yet to see a part that is marketed as a 922r compliance part that weren't marked in some way.
View Quote

Then you haven’t looked very hard. Show me where on the HBI Scorpion trigger it’s marked where it was made.

How the part is marketed is irrelevant. You can use parts that aren’t specifically marketed as 922r compliance parts to be compliant.
Link Posted: 5/19/2020 12:56:43 PM EDT
[#19]
Originally Posted By willi3d:

When you file a Form 1 to make a SBR, it’s pretty easy to figure out who assembled it since that person’s name is right there on the form.
View Quote

If you file as a trust any of the responsible people listed can assemble the firearm.

The person filling out the form doesn’t have to be the person physically assembling it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top