Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/19/2018 12:57:12 PM EDT
Anyone own both? Looking for some input on pro’s/con’s of the carbine vs. the braced pistol.

The pistol itself is a bit goofy to shoot. Using a sling or the brace helps but seems far from the comfort of an actual adjustable stock like the one found on the carbine. I already dumped the brace setup because I didn’t care for it cosmetically or functionally. It was an SBX15, non-folding.

Anyways, the pistol version and my grand plans for it never panned out. I never used it in a “truck gun” fashion (can only have loaded pistols in vehicles here) and I don’t have the patience or funds to SBR it.

Would I be just as happy to trade my pistol version for the carbine version? I assume I’d get a more comfortable package, could add a vertical grip, even lighter recoiling, increased velocities, etc.?
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 3:08:50 PM EDT
[#1]
As far as increase velocities go it may be over stated.

While there is an useful increase numbers wise.  Many gel tests I have seen don't show an increase in penetration.  In fact some show the increase as reducing penetration as the projectile fragments.

As to what would be more comfortable. I would go and finger bang a carbine at the LGS if you are curious.

Which pistol scorpion do you have?

because I would go with this brace if I were you.

Link Posted: 4/19/2018 3:48:08 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Which pistol scorpion do you have?

because I would go with this brace if I were you.

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2017/01/15747507_10210427069007291_2345303570722835332_n.jpg
View Quote
I was hoping to not drop another ~$200+ on a brace to get “back into” this thing. That’s why I had considered the trade. I hear great things about that Tailhook but I’m not sure. You’re right though that a trip to the LGS is in order to mess with or potentially shoot one to see if the difference is profound enough. Interesting to hear about the gel test and penetration from the pistol to carbine length barrels. I wonder what round(s) we’re tested.

Thanks for the response.
Link Posted: 4/19/2018 4:06:35 PM EDT
[#3]
ideally get a stamp to use the OEM stock.  However, I have a pistol config using the tailhook, like others here.  It feels exactly like the OEM stock without the rubber butt pad.  I don't see any downsides to using the brace if it's the tailhook.   Carbine length doesn't make much sense to me as the added length seems excessive and counter to the whole point of the genre.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:29:13 AM EDT
[#4]
I do have both carbine and pistol versions.  I like the fun factor of the pistol by far.  The scorpion carbine is 'meh' when shooting side by side with my other carbine, Kris Vector.  Pistol is much more fun as a range toy.

Link Posted: 5/1/2018 6:48:08 PM EDT
[#5]
I never could get behind the pistol, but enjoy my Carbine.
Link Posted: 5/1/2018 7:16:07 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a question related to OP’s. I want a scorpion sbr to put a suppressor on. Would it be better to start with a pistol or a carbine if I were going to sbr it? Also I remember there being issues with the magazines cracking at one point, have those been resolved? would an obsidian 45 fit under the larger part of a carbine handgaurd?
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I have a question related to OP’s. I want a scorpion sbr to put a suppressor on. Would it be better to start with a pistol or a carbine if I were going to sbr it? Also I remember there being issues with the magazines cracking at one point, have those been resolved? would an obsidian 45 fit under the larger part of a carbine handgaurd?
View Quote
Pistol route would be cheaper and no cutting/ changing the barrel. Personally I'd go pistol.
Link Posted: 5/2/2018 11:47:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
I went the carbine route. Swapping to the CZ pistol barrel from the carbine barrel took 15 minutes.

Link Posted: 5/3/2018 1:49:34 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:Swapping to the CZ pistol barrel from the carbine barrel took 15 minutes.
View Quote
More like a year and 15 minutes, right? A year for the stamp and 15 minutes after it's approved.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 4:34:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

More like a year and 15 minutes, right? A year for the stamp and 15 minutes after it's approved.
View Quote
Pretty much.
Link Posted: 5/3/2018 9:39:43 PM EDT
[#11]
I have both.  I've had the pistol since it was available.  I just used a single point bungie sling (pushing out for stabilization) on the pistol until this year, and it shopt pretty well that way.  Now i have the tail hook brace on the CZ folder.  Like a couple shown above.  It shines in this format.  I see no reason to get a stamp, as it is still a pistol and shoots great this way.

I got the carbine right after they were available.  I really like it, though it seems heavier than my other PCCs.  It shoots great right out of the box.  I like them both.

If you get the pistol, go with the tail hook brace on the CZ folder or get your stamp for the SBR.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top