Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2019 8:55:57 AM EDT
Trying to pick between two scopes for a new to me rifle.

Either the Burris 200261 Ballistic Plex 2-7x32mm or the Leupold FX2

I like the fov and weight of the Leupold, and the extra magnification and ballistic Plex  on the Burris.

Any help or guidance is greatly appreciated.

Also, while I’m at it any scope ring recommendations?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 9:46:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I’m happy with my leopuld 2.5 on that same gun.  The elk are not.

The factory rail on mine was too short to let me get the scope as far forward as I like, so I bought some low pic rail from brownells and mounted that.  It is 2” longer than factory and cantilevers over the bbl.  Also have leopuld QR rings.

A couple of elk have been taken with it.  I might be trying a 4x fixed soon, but the 2.5 is plenty for big game.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:21:30 AM EDT
[#2]
That’s a sweet setup! How far are you comfortable taking a shot on an elk?

Seems like where I hunt they are right on top of you or very far.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 10:46:03 AM EDT
[#3]
Last one was a nice 4x that was on the move,and I dropped him at 40 yds.    The other was a cow in the aspens with a small herd.  No way I could close the distance without getting busted, so I took a rest against an aspen and let it fly from 180.  She fell over like a bowling pin.   That’s the only elk I have seen that fell over like a knock down target, and I’ve shot a bunch.    My buddy was glassing her when I shot and said that’s just what it looked like.

I get to shoot a lot living  on the west slope, at all distances.  I’m comfortable out to 200 with that setup, I know my drops.

If I get a new scope, it’ll be a leopuld with a custom reticle showing my drops out to 400.

I do like being able to pull the scope during heavy snow and use the stock irons.

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Iv got a leupold 1.5x5 and its perfect for my 45/70.  The 45/70 drops so badly at distance I usually restrict myself to 150 yard and less hunting locations, its almost as bad as shooting a grenade launcher. Mine is SUPER accurate, I just avoid shots over 150, even with a recticle that shows drop, you h ave to be dead on judging distance, or your likely to miss if your off even a little.

I love the caliber though. Its a beast.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 8:19:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thank you for the guidance guys. I very much appreciate it!  I’m gonna try to pick up a Leupold but if I find a Burris I may do it.

Since I’m brand new to the 45-70 game what type of powder/bullet combo do you like for practice and game?
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 9:37:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Attachment Attached File

I like these in the blue box.  Bulk Remington 405 gr soft point.

With the right target for a 2.5x scope, they go into an inch all day long.   The 405 LBTs fly well too, but are $$.  The Remington bullets are fine for me over a moderate charge of H322.   I hot rodded both of those with book stout charges. Once.  That gun bruised the heck out of me at 1850 FPS, I just don’t need that kind of power for elk.
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 11:09:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks! I’ll be on the look out for those. One last question and I’ll leave you alone.

What range do you zero your scope?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 6/22/2019 11:40:44 PM EDT
[#8]
I zero at 100, some guys do 75.
Link Posted: 6/23/2019 12:30:36 PM EDT
[#9]
Also be aware if you end up with the Hornady flex tip brass, it is about .10” shorter than standard brass.   Alternatively, if you buy the flex tip bullets you will be trimming standard brass that short.

If the flex tips are loaded in standard length brass they will not feed.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#10]
I was going to buy some factory bullets to get started. Sounds like it’s best to steer clear of the flex tip.
Link Posted: 6/24/2019 12:14:02 PM EDT
[#11]
I bought 100 of the flex tips and was not impressed with accuracy,
But I didn’t do a lot of testing.  They do give a little less drop of course, but I couldn’t hit a plate often at 200 with them.  The 405s are regular visitors to that plate.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top