Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Posted: 12/31/2018 11:54:09 PM EDT
http://www.vortexoptics.com/product/razor-hd-gen-2-45-27x56-riflescope-with-ebr-2c-mrad-reticle

The Armalite AR-50 just popped up as available again.  I purchased one.

I’m strongly considering this scope with Badger Ordnance rings.   Any thoughts.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 12:14:55 AM EDT
[#1]
First thought: Vortex warranty is solid no questions asked, I have used it with good results.  Second thought: It really depends how much you plan to shoot this rifle I understand good optics are appealing.  50BMG are really expensive to shoot and a guy that only shoots it a few time a year might be better putting his best scope on something he shoots all the time.  I think you could easily get by with SWFA SS 16x42

$299.95
on a 50 BMG that only comes out of the safe a few time a year for daylight long distance range work. If you have a true tactical need then by all means step up to the spendy glass.

Next I don't have a 50 but I run a US Optics B17 on a GAPrecision 300 WM and really like the scope. One of my boys runs a Nightforce ATACR on his primary rifle, and we both have several brands of expensive scopes etc. Tangent Theta is supposed to be the top dog right now best of the best LINK.  But for that price range you need to get behind the different scopes you are considering the little things matter. For me the EREK knob is a huge factor. LINK
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 11:34:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I have had a SS 20X Mil-Dot on my Steyr 50 HS close to 20 years.
Works great, never thought of replacing it, couldn't imagine getting any better groups at my max. range of 600 M.
Had a Bushnell 6X before that, the one Barrett included in their package, like the SWFA much better.
Link Posted: 1/1/2019 10:09:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Was also going to suggest a SWFA SS. The Vortex Razor Gen 2 is debatably the best long range precision optic on the market. Were I you, on a .50 you won’t be using too much, and will really only ever see use recreationally at the range a few times a year tops, I’d do a SWFA fixed power of choice. I like the 12X MIL/MIL. They’re all incredibly durable and will handle .50 fine, have great glass for their price, have reliably tracking external turrets, and are a value well above their price points. I’m normally a bit of a glass snob but they’re great scopes, and a perfect fit for your rifle. My loaner 12X SS would have ridden on my Barrett has it not came with an LR/T.
Link Posted: 1/5/2019 8:24:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I concur regarding the SSx any power.  I got a 20x and planned on using it on a 50 but it ended up on my PSL instead.  The PSL is a violent rifle when fired and the SS 20x is holding up just fine after hundreds of rounds down the pipe.
Link Posted: 1/6/2019 8:01:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I also have a SS 20x on my Armallite .50.

My only complaint with it is the eye box is a little small, and I only notice that when prone, off a bench its no problem, otherwise its great.
Link Posted: 1/12/2019 10:40:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Against the advice, I ended up going with the Vortex Razor HD Gen II 4.5-27x56.  I have my reasons for doing so, but I still appreciate the input given.

My follow up question is, which height Badger Ordnance Max-50 34mm rings is optimal?
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 7:59:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 1/15/2019 11:58:09 PM EDT
[#8]
I use Mid-height rings on my AR-50 BUT first you must modify the cheekrest for bolt handle clearance and I actually milled the recess for it 5/16" lower with 2 drilled and tapped holes to match slots in mount.

Somewhat vague here as I'm going to bed. Email me if you need pictures.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 7:42:33 PM EDT
[#9]
Put a Nightforce on my AR-50 - had to sell it when I was out of work.
Sold the AR-50 for what I bought it for and the Nightforce for $200 more then I paid for it.
Link Posted: 4/11/2019 10:43:34 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 5:25:43 PM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
View Quote
So 1 has 4 screws and 1 has 6? I got the max 50 ones that have 6 screws on both rings but havent seen a mis match like that. May e its just showing your options.
Link Posted: 4/26/2019 7:03:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
So 1 has 4 screws and 1 has 6? I got the max 50 ones that have 6 screws on both rings but havent seen a mis match like that. May e its just showing your options.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Yes, that is the way they are made.  They don’t offer the 34mm Max-50 rings in the taller height that I needed.
Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top