Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Site Notices
Posted: 11/1/2020 4:38:20 PM EDT
I know this topic has been discussed several times before, but the newest thread I found was 2018.

I need recommendations for a scope and rings for my newly purchased 82a1. In all honesty, I doubt it will get stretched past 400 yards very often, but I also don't mind spending a little more for magnification if it doesn't come at the expense of eye relief or quickness of sight picture. I also don't plan on shooting it in low light situations, but I'm not opposed to it either.

I'd like a good clear scope with good eye relief that is forgiving in obtaining a sight picture. I want the gun to be fun to shoot.

I'm pretty open with the budget, although I do like a good deal.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 5:02:12 PM EDT
[#1]
My vote is 30mm Badger USMC SASR rings ($200) with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14x40 ($900 on eBay) I went with some f-class glass on mine but I enjoyed it more with my mk12 scope on it instead.
Link Posted: 11/1/2020 6:05:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 4:20:52 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Look at Arken Optics, has everything that you're looking for.
View Quote

Those look like a great value, but they're at a 7-9 week backorder.
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 5:19:40 PM EDT
[#4]
$400 made in China scopes? On a $7,000 rifle? Disparity aside, will those things even stay together for more than 10 rounds of 50BMG?
Link Posted: 11/2/2020 6:28:29 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 8:50:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Barrett rings with Nightforce .

If you have the $$ then go Nightforce B.E.A.S.T with FFP.

The scope not only has to survive the 50 BMG recoil
but also must reliably return to ZERO.

Watch some slo-mo video of a 50 with optics being fired.
Notice how much flex the scope tube must endure during recoil.
It's astounding any scope survives beyond 10 rounds.
Link Posted: 11/3/2020 9:44:07 AM EDT
[#7]
Scope flexing video, Amazing!
high-speed video of scope and barrel flexing on a 50BMG
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 11:00:43 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 11/4/2020 12:21:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
How many people here rave about the S.W.F.A. Super Sniper scopes that are $300!

When Biggerhammer was the largest .50 forum on the net, they had running totals of when they would fail. Of course this was when Tasco owned them.

Do I think they're any good? Seems like there's plenty of people raving about them on other sites. Only time will tell how they will hold up to a .50.
View Quote

I'm running a Vortex PST 5-25 gen 2 for now but I still want one of the S.W.F.A. SS 16x scopes as an alternate.  I really like fixed power optics.  The problem is S.W.F.A. has been out of stock on all the SS scopes for a long time.  They seemed to get a small shipment in but sold out very quickly and they are back to what seems like permanent back order.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 12:24:54 AM EDT
[#10]
As mentioned the Super Snipers supposedly hold up. I think I am going to stick my old Leupold Mark 4 fixed 16 on mine. I was thinking of selling it but I don't think it's sought after since it's a bit of a bastard. They are supposed to be tough as nails though. Honestly just about any of the big name scopes will probably do what you want. There was a day when a lot of scopes wouldn't survive but I just don't think that's the case anymore. If you really have a question you can email a manufacturer and ask if they'll survive. Leupold and Vortex said pretty much all their stuff would. Barrett used to ship 99's with Bushnell Elite 3200's and they seemed to hold up.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 4:14:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 4:21:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:As mentioned the Super Snipers supposedly hold up. I think I am going to stick my old Leupold Mark 4 fixed 16 on mine. I was thinking of selling it but I don't think it's sought after since it's a bit of a bastard. They are supposed to be tough as nails though. Honestly just about any of the big name scopes will probably do what you want. There was a day when a lot of scopes wouldn't survive but I just don't think that's the case anymore. If you really have a question you can email a manufacturer and ask if they'll survive. Leupold and Vortex said pretty much all their stuff would. Barrett used to ship 99's with Bushnell Elite 3200's and they seemed to hold up.
View Quote

Bushnell Elite 3200's and Super Snipers are manufactured by LOW.  Some other LOW manufactured optics are the Weaver Tactical, Vortex Razor and all the other Bushnell Elites.  I tend to think any of these would provide a decent option for a .50.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:23:00 PM EDT
[#13]
I went with a Vortex Razor Gen. II 4.5-27x56 and Barrett rings. I should have everything in Monday and I'll post pics. Thanks everyone for the advice.
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:36:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I went with a Vortex Razor Gen. II 4.5-27x56 and Barrett rings. I should have everything in Monday and I'll post pics. Thanks everyone for the advice.
View Quote
Great choice!
Link Posted: 11/5/2020 5:48:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Bushnell Elite 3200's and Super Snipers are manufactured by LOW.  Some other LOW manufactured optics are the Weaver Tactical, Vortex Razor and all the other Bushnell Elites.  I tend to think any of these would provide a decent option for a .50.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:As mentioned the Super Snipers supposedly hold up. I think I am going to stick my old Leupold Mark 4 fixed 16 on mine. I was thinking of selling it but I don't think it's sought after since it's a bit of a bastard. They are supposed to be tough as nails though. Honestly just about any of the big name scopes will probably do what you want. There was a day when a lot of scopes wouldn't survive but I just don't think that's the case anymore. If you really have a question you can email a manufacturer and ask if they'll survive. Leupold and Vortex said pretty much all their stuff would. Barrett used to ship 99's with Bushnell Elite 3200's and they seemed to hold up.

I sold quite a few 99’s with the bushnell and the only problem I saw personally was a scope cap shot off because it had worked itself loose. He shot a bunch and reassembled it and loctited it and had no more problems.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:14:38 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
How many people here rave about the S.W.F.A. Super Sniper scopes that are $300!

When Biggerhammer was the largest .50 forum on the net, they had running totals of when they would fail. Of course this was when Tasco owned them.

Do I think they're any good? Seems like there's plenty of people raving about them on other sites. Only time will tell how they will hold up to a .50.
View Quote

My 16x Super Sniper is still going strong on my 33" barreled 82A1. I've used it out to ,1400 yds and it returns to its 200 yd zero with no problems.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 10:36:46 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Great choice!
View Quote

I agree. Love mine. Have mine in a Geisselle mount, it's held up to a few hundred rounds with no loss of zero.
Link Posted: 11/6/2020 12:00:15 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View Quote
You know the rule - pics when you get it all put together or you're in for a good flogging!
Link Posted: 11/24/2020 3:10:09 PM EDT
[#19]
Attachment Attached File

Attachment Attached File

Spuhr mounts are pricey but pretty much bomb proof.
Link Posted: 11/28/2020 1:32:13 PM EDT
[#20]
SWFA has SS back in stock at great price.  $259 and that includes a free set of rings, bubble level and sunshade !!
Link Posted: 11/29/2020 2:13:56 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
You know the rule - pics when you get it all put together or you're in for a good flogging!
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 11/30/2020 3:27:24 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/2/2020 8:53:00 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Dude!.. Nice. Real nice!
View Quote

Thanks! I've got some video I'll upload to YouTube and post.

Edit:

Sighting it in. I ditched the bench after this one shot, and used the back of the truck. I needed the elevation to get past a little rise in the ground.

Shooting at a steel plate 550 yards away, at the tree line.

Page Armory » 50 Cal
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top